[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where were you, when it turned out she was right?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 8
File: hqdefault.jpg (9 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
9 KB, 480x360
Where were you, when it turned out she was right?
>>
I could never get past the terribly-aged graphics to appreciate this autistic gem
>>
David Bowie?!
>>
>>339589740
About the time she started freaking out about AI managed cities and the philosophical implications of the bulk matter transporter. Between nerve stapling and AI enforcement of thoughtcrime laws, We Must Dissent became a reasonable argument, and unfortunately the only pro-human voice was the religious fundie.

>>339589992
With older games, there's a sort of reverse growing pain. Give it a little time and you'll adjust within a week. That said, I do have a hard limit - there are some relatively older adventure games I just can't bear - early King's Quest, for example.
>>
>tfw wanted to enjoy Beyond Earth
>its meh to bad

I would want a Alpha Centuari 2, but then you remember that it's owned by EA.
>>
>>339589740
that slightly relieved yet disgusted face makes her look like she just took one of her nastiest shits alive.
>>
>>339590313

I grew up on Civ2 and UT99, but find Test of Time / Alpha Centauri graphics revolting
>>
>>339590659

Civ II is functional and clear, and UT 99 is just fine. AC's only major flaws to me aesthetically were the road/tube webs and the UI.
>>
File: hqdefault (7).jpg (13 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (7).jpg
13 KB, 480x360
>>339589740
I wish there was alternative ending like Zakharov figures out how to make planet normal and kill all sentience without wiping out all humans.
like he wanted one day before going batshit crazy
>>339589992
graphics are ok, UI is outdated a bit but still better than Civ2 one tho
>>
>>339590887
>alternative ending like Zakharov figures out how to make planet normal

God yes. Playing University and going through with Transcendence feels like a total betrayal of the faction and is completely against Zakharov's principles. It's something I see the Gaians doing, to the point that I half suspect they were the dev's preferred canon faction (see the audio indicating Gaians swept over the Spartans). Zakharov's fiery speeches showed there was a path, but the game doesn't want to go there.
>>
>>339590850
>>339590887

My only regret is not being able to make a custom air unit capable of acting as an airbase
>>
The tile sets are a bit muddy but otherwise it's a flawless masterpiece.
>>
>>339591792

Crossfire introduced a few too many half baked ideas and factions, and forced Farscape tier aliens. I'd like to keep the good techs from it and drop the rest.
>>
>>339591536
Gaians clearly a favorite, no questions here. Hell, even Transcendence ending implied to be a "good" ending all things considered.
You are "helping" planet to point of losing your natural human nature just to become a fucking hivemind. Ending is all happy "everyone is lives forever in Planet's mind! Those who wanted stayed as people, and build a starship! Everything is green and lovely, no need to be afraid of Planet"
yeah right
>>
>>339592110

It even mentions how people weren't informed that some minds would be more ... influential than others. Total and perfect slavery. No coincidence I hated the Foundation series ending on a similar note.
>>
>>339592375
at this point mind control economic victory seems like a better deal.
>>
>>339591897
You can play with only the original factions and still have the stuff added in the expansions; play the expansion and replace everyones race with the vanilla factions
>>
>>339589740
I'm too stupid to realize she is anywhere near right, please explain.
>>
>>339593209
The technologies later in the game are exactly what she was warning against, like punishment spheres or the millions of brains in jars, or the mind control or whatever
>>
>>339590485
http://www.pcgamer.com/alpha-centauri-trademarks-registered-by-ea/

You just know a reboot is bound to happen at one point.
>>
File: dissent.png (142 KB, 435x439) Image search: [Google]
dissent.png
142 KB, 435x439
Remember, the datalinks were never evil.
>>
>>339593602
Nerve stapling
>>
>>339592110
It's not like diplomatic victory is any more 'good.' It's basically mind control on a global scale.
>>
>>339589740
Is there any mod that makes UI bearable? I want to replay this but I just can't be arsed to figure things out again.
>>
Most unsettling quote? For me, it's:

I think, and my thoughts cross the barrier into the synapses of the machine, just as the good doctor intended. But what I cannot shake,
and what hints at things to come, is that thoughts cross back. In my dreams, the sensibility of the machine invades the periphery of my consciousness: dark, rigid, cold, alien. Evolution is at work here, but just what is evolving remains to be seen.
—Commissioner Pravin Lal, “Man and Machine”
>>
>>339596592
>It is every citizen’s final duty to go into the tanks and become one with all the people.
>—Chairman Sheng-ji Yang, “Ethics for Tomorrow”

It was the point where I realized that this game is not some happy vision of future.
>>
File: Chairman_Yang_(SMAC).jpg (169 KB, 291x350) Image search: [Google]
Chairman_Yang_(SMAC).jpg
169 KB, 291x350
>>339596813
When did you realize he was right?
>>
>>339595781
yeah, there are no "good" endings period. That maybe a part of what makes Alpha Centauri good.
Still would be a nice to be a Planet-killer. They could've passed that up as "bad" ending too.
>>
>>339597075
Never. Yang did everything wrong.
>>
File: morganv.png (414 KB, 268x320) Image search: [Google]
morganv.png
414 KB, 268x320
>>339596813
What gave it away?
Was it the tech videos?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGCaACqy1Ro

Or when you learned what mind worms really did?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L5JgTkxAkg
>>
>>339597402
Recycling tanks are one of the first technologies in the game.
>>
I have read the prelude to the games story and I wonder if there are any other books that cover what happens in the game?
>>
>>339591536
There is such an ending.

Carpet the planet with so many Clean Formers that there is no empty tile for mind worms to spawn upon, and any fungus that appears gets instantly scrubbed.

Say it with me now.

EX
TER
MI
NA
TED
>>
>>339595084
pls no

I saw what happened to UFO: Enemy unknown.
No procedural terrain generation
AI blatantly cheats by taking moves
Only 4 units per mission
Can't destroy most of the terrain
Turn units? Lol who needs turn units you nerd fag
Inventory screen? Fuck you, here's a class system with loadouts

And I fucking guarantee they'll find SOME way to introduce racemixing, gay marriage, womens rights, slavery being bad, and all that other anti/pol/ bullshit.
>>
>>339596813
What's wrong with recycling people for nutrients?

I played through the game and the first "wrong" thing I saw was the cloning vats, but that's just because cloning prevents evolution.

Genejack -> Great stuff, I build one in all my cities
Nerve stapling -> Fuck drones, we're building the future
Brains in jars -> Link them to Space 4chan
Research hospital -> Honestly a waste of minerals but the concept is good
Worm police -> Well they ARE effective

Fuck morals
Fuck ethics
It's the future
We gotta progress!

Oh and fuck planet too.
>pop< my ass. Eco damage has begun to trigger suck my dick, the sea levels will Fuck you I can raise terrain over the next 10 years. Clean Trance Scout Patrols ww@
>>
>>339599434
>wanting to ruin planet just like earth was ruined

You have learned nothing.
>>
>>339599078
>And I fucking guarantee they'll find SOME way to introduce racemixing, gay marriage, womens rights, slavery being bad, and all that other anti/pol/ bullshit.
Really nigger?
>>
>>339599434
It's all fun where you're the ruler and not the fool being nerve stapled.
>>
File: electronic-arts-gay-prde.jpg (136 KB, 610x391) Image search: [Google]
electronic-arts-gay-prde.jpg
136 KB, 610x391
>>339599730
>he doesn't know
>>
>>339599078
You won't find anything outside of /pol/ that isn't anti-pol so that's a given.
>>
>>339599078
>Le pol buzzwords
Am I in the cool club naw guise?
>>
>>339599593
I enjoyed massing ICBMs in Civ IV and triggering so much global warming that Earth became barely habitable.

It's funny to see the other civs with like a -200 rating towards you because You Nuked My Friend -160 You nuked us -30 This war spoils my sandy vagina -6 You delcared war on us -3 You refused to convert to Judaism -1

>>339600038
I'm outside of /pol/ right now and I'm not anti/pol/

>>339600369
Yes, you are now in the cool club! Please pick up your complimentary assault loli, alt right meme generator, and free copy of Al4a Cen2arui 3: Advanced Colonisation
>>
>>339589740
The Gaians were right. You must take care of your house.
>>
>>339599730
>>339600369
Anon's bait aside, a sequel is guaranteed to erase any of the moral ambiguity and replace it with direct moralizing. The original has an intoxicating moral ambiguity that cannot be replicated in today's climate. It certainly had the biases of its creators here and there, but I don't think it would compare to the grandstanding on current social issues we would be guaranteed to see in a sequel.
>>
>>339600568
>I'm outside of /pol/ right now

No you aren't you're /pol/ wherever you go.
>>
>>339600907

By that same logic Africans remain savages, even if you take them out of their backwater in Bumfuckistan.
>>
>>339600907
Fuckin A right. Not even that anon. We memed the shit of the election. Next the world.
>>
>>339593602
Isn't Mind Control the best future society for her though?

Or does she run out of support?
>>
>>339600852
Grand leader:
Zakharov

Friends in the Bro Zone:
Morgan, Yang, Marr

Ladies in my personal punishment sphere:
Miriam, Santiago, Aki5

Recycling tanks maintenence staff:
Lal, Domai, Roze, Sven

Fed to worms:
Deirdre, Cha Dawn, Hminee

>>339601206
This isn't true! They're perfectly domesticable. They don't self-domesticate like dogs, but they're easier to domesticate than boars and we did that.
The problem is, people let their women and their niggers go feral, and then they wonder why their society has feral niggers and feral cunts chimping up the place.
Well gee. Maybe it's because you put literally 0 effort into shaping them for society, and instead are trying to shape society to suit the needs of the ferals. D e r p.
>>
>>339589992
SMAC is one of the few games I actually find so ugly it slightly affects my enjoyment of the game. There is very little in it that's aesthetically pleasing.
>>
>>339601206
False equivalence falacy
I thought they teach that in Pol
>>
>>339601248
RIP Austria tho, blatantly rigged election and the populace don't give a shit.

>>339601451
If you've reached the point where future society matters as mim you've done it wrong. Conquer the planet before reaching that point.

Mim does well with Eudaimonic, actually. though she can run thought control if she spams clean reactors, as you probably should be doing.
>>
File: Alamo.jpg (46 KB, 357x496) Image search: [Google]
Alamo.jpg
46 KB, 357x496
>>339601494
>shaping society to suit the needs of the ferals
SCRATCHING POSTS IN ALL MAJOR CITIES
GOVERNMENT SUBSIDISED +AGI +CRIT 2H STAVES
PENALTIES FOR GROUPS WITH MORE THAN 2 ROGUES
>>
>>339599730
But those were already in the game, they were just treated as non-issues they are.

Sparta was probably full of Heart Companies as a tactic to boost morale, Gaia was dyke utopia not least because of the disdain for reproduction, Peacekeepers didn't police personal actions and Morganites made business out of everything so the Commons were lined with ladyboys for rent.

In the end Eudaimonia made your society a liberal paradise and Cybernetics turned it to massive tumbrl.
>>
>>339601980
But cybernetics had a massive police penalty.

wait.

OH!
>>
>>339592110
So why do people still argue that other factions are correct when the Gaians are the factually and objectively correct faction in the setting?
>>
>>339601958
STORMWIND PARK WAS AN INSIDE JOB
>>
>>339590485

how about a fucking BE mod that mimicks AC to every minute detail?

Somone onvince Notch to puy $10M in it!
>>
>>339602275
I think Yang and Deirdre are lorewise the top candidates for Trancendence but for different reasons.

Morgan and Santiago are selfish to the point of blindness, Lal and Zarkhov are misguided and eventually go mad.

Miriam is the most "good" in terms of current day moral and ethics but very rigid. She wants the best world for humans but in the end that might not be the best option in the long run.
>>
File: 1350321951168.jpg (78 KB, 800x602) Image search: [Google]
1350321951168.jpg
78 KB, 800x602
https://storagebin.wikispaces.com/file/view/Gurps_-_Alpha_Centauri.pdf
>>
>>339602674
>going mad
nigga it's like you don't wanna take every egg, every last slimy one, and make them EH KSTURHM EEN EEH TED
>>
>>339595084
This shit is gonna be full of edgy and terrible dialogue with dubstep up the ass, isn't it?
>>
>>339603104
This Technology requires an Origin™ GOLD(r) account. Please link your Origin™ account with your Facebook(r) account to earn 5 days of free* Origin™ GOLD.
>>
>>339602929
Well I guess some good old fashioned rage is still a notch above becoming the Skynet.
>>
>>339603659
Zakharov is Russian, right?

Ehhh. Hammer it in boys, the skynet is in a position where it can promote a piece to a King in the game of checkers. Bitch, Fuck, Go to hell. *squats*
>>
>>339603852
It was Lal who became a cyborg. Zarkhov was probably too confident in his own intelligence to hook up into machines that would rewrite his mind.
>>
Zakharov is the Reddit choice
>>
>>339605020
Lal literally gets upvotes tho
>>
>>339605675
He is probably the second choice.
I'd say Deidre is 3rd, but casually using mindworms would be too much for them I guess.
>>
>>339590313
i much prefer old spirtes and 2d graphics to early 3d. early 3d was awful
>>
>>339598881
but it's not canon one
game will not acknowledge it
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.