[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What am I in for?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: Final_Fantasy_Tactics_Logo.jpg (70 KB, 621x254) Image search: [Google]
Final_Fantasy_Tactics_Logo.jpg
70 KB, 621x254
I've played every mainline Final Fantasy game, and would consider myself a big fan of the series. I've never gotten around to playing Tactics though, and figured now was a good time. What should I expect? Is it as good as everyone says it is? Also, maybe it's worth mention, I've played Vagrant Story and loved it.
>>
its the best ff game imo. it has some bad difficulty spikes tho
>>
>>339558034
A good srpg. Have you played any srpgs before?

The FF brand is just something slapped on at the end, like most FF spin-offs.
>>
>>339558184
nah that's VII
>>
Use a second save file when it prompts you.
>>
>>339558470
FFVII is my favorite of the mainline.
>>339558318
I've played Fire Emblem Awakening and had a good time. Though, I couldn't get into FE's story much, and that kind of turned me away from the series. Much more into character focused stories. Love the gameplay though.
>>
>>339558034
Monk, level ninja to get dw, back to monk, double fist gods to death
>>
>>339558318

What are some good recent SRPGS? I've played advanced wars and I guess xcom to death.
>>
>>339558672
Also I absolute love the Valkyria Chronicles games. Personal favorite SRPGs
>>
>>339558767
Advance Wars is turn-based tactics but I agree Wars is a great series.

Check out Underrail and Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars if you like Xcom.

As for FFT-style srpgs, ehhh... in my opinion the genre has been pretty sparse lately. But I don't care for Fire Emblem or Idea Factory/Compile Heart/Nippon Ichi games, so yeah.

Jeanne d'Arc was a good one on PSP, although a bit too easy. Wild Arms XF had a more unique grid system that was fun. The Valkyria Chronicles games too if we're counting those. Summon Night 5 on PSN. Stella Glow is ok gameplay wise, if you can ignore the awful chibi art and waifushittery. The upcoming Grand Kingdom looks promising.
>>
>>339558034
Dragoon with ignore height move will help you in a boss fight. As in, you can 1st turn that fight with a tiny bit of luck.
>>
>>339559584

Thanks for the detailed response, your tastes are pretty similar to mine.

I've been meaning to check out Valkyria Chronicles, and Grand Kingdom does look pretty promising so I'll keep my eye out for that.
>>
>>339558034

I honestly can't get into the game because the combat engine is so bad. Have to grind a ton right at the beginning since you're fighting enemies that outnumber and outlevel you. Then after doing all that grinding, the rest of the game you're overpowered.

The game just has bad balance. As if they didn't even playtest the game. The story is also rather lackluster, but that's probably because the translation is laughably simple.
>>
>>339560805
Okay I thought I was wrong to grind. Will the soldier office start giving better soldiers eventually or do they remain fresh slates the entire time?
>>
>>339558034
Hopefully you're going to be playing FFT:WoTL, its a pretty damn good update and the translation is waayyyy better
Story is dope as fuck, it's my favorite of all the final fantasy games, except maybe XII

If you're looking for more like this, the Ogre series is really good, especially let us cling together
>>
I don't have as high of an opinion as I used to. The story is great at first but gets worse as it progresses until it's a cliched tale about slaying demons. Gameplay is great but the overall fun factor is ruined by how terribly slow the game is.

7/10 Square had the right idea.
>>
>>339558034
Hope you're playing the PSX version, translation is a thousand times better than the WOTL bullshit.
FFT is one of my top 5 favorite games ever. I usually end up replaying it yearly. Game has some difficulty spikes as others have said.
Don't spoil it with guides starting out, fail/struggle like you did with Vagrant Story and then read a guide to turn it into ezmodo.
>>
>>339558034
There's a hard 1 v 1 fight where if you're unprepared you can leave yourself in an unwinnable situation. Don't let Ramza get left behind in leveling, and strongly consider at least learning auto potion.
>>
>>339562137

So basically its just like Final Fantasy IV or VII. Great start, but then it falls into cliches and boring melodrama.
>>
>>339561894
It should be noted that the Ogre series is divided into Ogre Battle and Tactics Ogre. OB and TO games are both fantastic, but play quite a bit differently.

There are also really only 4 games, not counting ports/remakes seperately. Two OB and two TO. But all four are good.

>>339562205
>PS better translation than PSP

No. Liking the PS script more than the rambling ye olde English PSP script is one thing, but the actual translation of the PS version is complete, barely coherent dogshit.

>>339562137
>7/10 Square had the right idea.

It was Quest's idea, really.
>>
>>339562829
Ye be rite guvnor, these rain-flooded hinterlands speech thou calleth hometh beith theth besteth thingeth thereth ye ear noggins ere heard!
>>
>>339562631

FF7 at least was unpredictable in how fucking zany it was with stuff like the Gold Saucer, Aeris dying, snowboarding minigames, Cloud in a wheelchair, and introducing Zack out of nowhere.

Tactics resorts to demon slaying in the first act and it actually states early on how many demons you have to kill. It feels incredibly routine and all the interesting themes about class warfare and honor take a backseat to demon slaying.

Another difference is that FF7 had a nice flow to it so the fun factor kept the experience entertaining. Tactics is just slow as fuck, and that becomes annoying once you've fought enough battles and mastered the game mechanics.

I still recommend it, but play it on an emulator with a speed-up function to make some battles faster.
>>
>>339563506

And another benefit to playing it on emulation is that if you happen to lose a fight, you don't have to suffer through another unskippable 15 minute dialogue sequence.
>>
>>339563241
>Liking the PS script more than the rambling ye olde English PSP script is one thing

You apparently can't read (which might explain thinking the original translation was acceptable), but at least you tried.

I don't like the ye olde english script either, but at least it was well translated. Unlike the original.

Now go, know, live, become a frog, Dycedarg, Dycedarg's elder brother.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.