[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I decided to pick up this game on a whim since it was 15 bucks.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 164
Thread images: 31
File: SI_3DS_CodenameSTEAM.png (900 KB, 1000x500) Image search: [Google]
SI_3DS_CodenameSTEAM.png
900 KB, 1000x500
So I decided to pick up this game on a whim since it was 15 bucks. I was mildly interested in it to begin with but wasn't willing to shell out for full price given the documented issue of waiting for enemy turns to end, which I dealt with in the demo.

Come to find out that when I played they patched in a speed up feature and then discovered I was having a blast. Seriously the level design is ridiculously good and the way you can mix and match all the characters has given this game ridiculous replay value.

I'm pretty steamed/ that this game will never get a sequel.

Anybody else play this game or played a game that's dear to you that will never get the love it deserves?
>>
>>339543245
codename:shill
>>
>>339543245
I bought it for $10 (damn you $5 shipping). I hope it's good.

Am I making a mistake for making Codename STEAM my first Intelligent Systems game?
>>
>>339543471
can't shill a dead game nigga
>>
>>339543580
Nah, you could do much worse. It really depends on your expectations.
>>
>>339543687
My expectations are none. Thanks Anon.
>>
File: mecha.jpg (44 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
mecha.jpg
44 KB, 640x360
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpcTwOHXdqw
>>
>>339543792
No problem, The reason why I'm asking is that some people were picking this up because it they thought they were picking up Valkyria Chronicles lite.

Funnily enough I actually think the game ended up being more strategic than game it was copping from
>>
>>339543245
> issue of waiting for enemy turns to end

Serious question: why is this a problem? Not a strategy game player but it seems like it's the benefit of the player to see every action of the enemy, not just skipping to your turn and becoming disorientated.
>>
>>339544116
also meant to elaborate that the game is a lot less action oriented than valkyria chronicles save for the mecha sections which are admittedly fun but not exactly something that jives well with the overall game play
>>
criminally underrated. I thought the style was alright too, gameplay was great. Never had a chance to try too much of the multiplayer.
Still, I'd rather they head back to Advance Wars before amusing the idea of a sequel.

>>339544220
the turns did take a pretty long time. Although seeing XCOM 2, its not that huge of a shift.
>>
>>339544220
The problem is the games played from a behind the back perspective and a lot of the time you don't even see the enemy unless you have a good vantage point. This leads to a lot of just standing still and not seeing anything happen.
before the patch shit took up to 30 seconds and that got old real quick
>>
>>339544448
To be honest with you I don't see the multiplayer working out to well. The two modes included are pretty dull.

If they had more objective based gameplay it could've been great
>>
Why was Dorothy so lewd
>>
>>339543245
This is just my opinion, as I didn't expected this, but the thing that I disliked the most about this game was the fact that the enemies don't stop spawning. That could be a cool feature for a more difficult game mode, but it's ridiculously annoying (for me, as I said).
I want to kill every enemy before reach the goal of every level, but the game just want me to go directly to the objetive.

Despite this, I really enjoyed the game, I bought it for just 20$ and I loved it from the beginning to the end.

Too bad that a sequel it's not likely.
>>
>>339545986
Pretty sure that's only for certain levels, but I can see where you're coming from

>>339545851
Dorothy was OP as fuck in the right situation.
I had Dorothy, Randolf, Tin Man, and The Fox and managed to take down Starface is in two turns. I haven't felt so fucking satisfied in a long time.
>>
>>339543882
holy cringe
>>
>>339546360
I'm surprised to hear anyone singing praise for Dorothy.

Fox is legit for the star face fight. She dealt 1.8k damage with two over watch attacks in one enemy turn. Still wasn't enough to kill him but it was still a signficant amount of his health that no one else can really match(all on merciless so I don't know if that would have killed him normally)
>>
>>339546902

Dorothy is an incredibly situational character but given the proper circumstances she's the greatest damage dealer bar none.

>1.8k damage

are we playing the same game? most I've seen her do is high 300's and that's with Randolf,Queequeg and the ninja pack
>>
Good sound
>>
>>339547849
wut?
>>
File: fucking loli.jpg (203 KB, 400x240) Image search: [Google]
fucking loli.jpg
203 KB, 400x240
>>339547518
The only real use for Dorothy I've found is fucking up berserkers and the blind fuckers on certain maps. Her million shots almost guarantee a stun and wiping out a large portion of their health.

Special increases over watch damage by A LOT. In retrospect there should've been 3 shots though since activating it restores her steam. Either I'm misremembering it(so 3 shots) or she whiffed a shot and it missed or hit a non weak point/a wall or something.

I've been meaning to plug the game back in and test several things but other stuff came up. Apparently John has natural damage reduction on his metal bits(as do the other robot characters supposedly) and I'm fairly certain merciless introduces a flat damage reduction. Any one know if these are true?
>>
It's pretty fun but I find its replayability low. The levels feel too sloggy.
>>
Lots of Nintendo exclusive titles lately are like that. Devil's Third, this, Star Fox Zero...

Codename S.T.E.A.M was one of my favorite games of 2015. It was very disheartening trying to talk about the game on /v/ when people were still spamming 'MAMMA MIA' to try and discredit it.

I think we will see a sequel, though. The game was great, they just need to work out on how to make it appealing to a wider audience. Personally, I imagine they'll just use more well known characters in the future.
>>
File: codename steam.jpg (117 KB, 500x600) Image search: [Google]
codename steam.jpg
117 KB, 500x600
>>339546902
Dorothy fucking rips through Dreadnoughts or whatever they're called, you just have to get really close up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQJY_fYvUAU
>>
>>339543245
>posting meme games
>>
>>339548440
Yeah you're not remembering her special right at all, she does a dash across the map, which is pretty useless outside of escaping.

>>339548807
>MAMMA MIA

sorry I don't follow
>>
Dude, this game was fucking great. Not even kidding. I gave up trying to discuss it, but shit, dude, the characters, the plot, the gameplay . . . It's all great. This game was disgustingly underrated. I always keep it in mind when /v/ shitposts a game I'm interested in to death.
>>
Saw like 10 of these for $10 each at the store the other day. Sad. It's the only half-decent game Intelligent Systems has made (excluding Pushmo) since Days of Ruin.
>>
>>339549257
I feel you man, but when you post on /v/ 9 times out of 10 you'll always be wasting your time.

>>339548654
Interested to know why, not interested in the special runs for each level?
>>
>>339549242
>Yeah you're not remembering her special right at all, she does a dash across the map, which is pretty useless outside of escaping.

I said fox. You're talking about dorothy's, Lucina and ABE. I wouldn't say it's useless, it lets you do some pretty risky shit or end the map early.

>>339549071
God I love the music in this game. I wish someone would upload scarecrow's entire theme because I love it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq0AcgCtwoY
>>
I did a replaythrough of the game on Merciless with all FE amiibos. Pretty fun.

>tfw abusing Marth to eat up Overwatch attacks on the Dreadnought boss fight and managing to get it to low HP after killing all enemies without losing anyone
>tfw finishing him off with Ike's aether special
Still gotta do the final level + boss. A shame that there's no chance in hell of them adding Roy/Corrin support or a sequel

There's a helluva lotta room for improvement, though.
>A way to disconnect the camera from your character, so you can use their current position as a basis for the camera instead of having to clumsily look around corners
>A "lock movement/aiming" toggle for setting up tricky shots, with a button for uncertain attacks that gives you a percentage chance of the attack connecting (ie an attack will only hit an enemy when they're not doing their idle animation; lock the shot onto them, game says "70% chance to hit" if you choose not to time the shot yourself)

There's also stuff I'd love to see.
>play up each character's origins more; a level set in HP Lovecraft's Dreamlands, or along the Mississippi river. Have levels with distinct mechanics; climbing the Big Ben clocktower in London might have automated parts that move up and down like a lift that you need to time jumping onto, or rotating gears that move enemies around
>have some kind of Support equivalent where you can find out more about characters
>sub-items, like perishables for recovering health/steam, a reconfigured eye alien that you can deploy to provide another viewpoint, a limited use knife that's automatically used for overwatch at point blank range etc. No doubles of any perishable; each one taken along reduces your total medals accumulated at the end of a level etc
>>
>>339543245
I decided to pick the game up for the first time in almost a year since I remembered that there was still one more boiler I had yet to unlock, you had to get 100,000 medals to unlock Stovepipe and my brother got all the FE Amiibos recently so I decided to try out those.

The Lincoln Super Boiler is your reward for replaying stages until you got all the gears, then it makes medal hunting a breeze. Stovepipe was fucking fantastic with his ult being Giga Drill Break American Style. As for the Amiibo characters, I found only two of them to be any good, which are Robin and Lucina. Marth and Ike are pretty much garbage with Marth having to rely on walking up to enemies and his overwatch has to have the enemy stop right in front of him which fucks him over to ranged enemies, and Ike pretty much has no redeeming values to him.

As for the main 12 characters, I found my team always boiling down to Henry, The Fox, Scarecrow and Tom up until the last chapter where I had to replace Tom with Califia.

All in all good game but I wish I was able to try out the multiplayer with a friend.

Pretty fun game in general and its a shame that it fell into obscurity like it did.
>>
>>339549695
>I said fox

Not really, read your post again. But ok I guess.
>>
I feel like Co-Op missions could have been pretty cool, everyone having their own views and having to rely on communication to know where enemies are.

If you have 4 people everyone plays as one person, 2 players has 2 units per player, and I guess in 3 players one person could have 2 like how Four Swords worked with 3 players.

Thoughts?
>>
>>339549242
Some autistic guy spent months posting the game's sales numbers accompanied with 'Mamma Mia!'

It was really difficult to talk about the game without him popping in.
>>
>>339547518
I gave Dorothy the Sentry and she wound up becoming a permanent member of my team after that. I found a way to get gud with her
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4TIH3ppcxs

>STEAM had Days of Ruin's composer

Its a crime that this game's music isn't more well known.
>>
>>339549779
>All in all good game but I wish I was able to try out the multiplayer with a friend.
The multiplayer's pretty fun, even if I only got a few matches in

>1 minute time limit per turn; you HAVE to think about YOUR TURN during THEIR TURN if you want to have any kind of plan or chance. Lincoln Superboilers abound, as do sentry guns
>Fox, Califian Quequeg and Tinman rule the map thanks to range, overwatch viability etc
>Randolph Carter's gun no longer shoots meat, but exploding decoy powerups. Enemies will still look at it so you can open their weakpoints, however

>>339549948
More non-story mission stuff in general would've been nice. Give us challenge maps like "last in this arena against endless hordes for as long as possible" or "sneak through this area" etc.
>>
>>339549731
>a reconfigured eye alien

no fuck those guys with a cactus
>>
File: 1453063857240.png (72 KB, 500x540) Image search: [Google]
1453063857240.png
72 KB, 500x540
I can't get past the first mission in Oz. Those fucking cannons and fucking stealth aliens.

Also, who's your favorite character? For me it's Randolf all the way.
>>
>>339549071
>that pic
>Giving Tiger Lily the Medi-Carbine

Jesus its like someone wants a one trick pony.
>>
>>339550037
Oh I gotcha, wasn't around for that fiasco.
>>
File: Tom_Sawyer_STEAM.png (179 KB, 290x341) Image search: [Google]
Tom_Sawyer_STEAM.png
179 KB, 290x341
>>339550246
Tom was my favorite to use for the longest time. I gave him the Scout pac and Mine Launcher and had him sneak around and ruin everything for the enemy.

>tfw no sequel with Huckleberry Finn
>>
>>339550037
>>339550438
Also I remember people were making a stink about this game just because of Lincoln's voice actor. As if that judged the entire game's quality but hey, fish gotta swim, birds gotta fly, /v/ gotta shitpost.
>>
>>339550142
Amen to that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei6c2bm3fKw
>>
File: scarecrow.png (122 KB, 278x511) Image search: [Google]
scarecrow.png
122 KB, 278x511
>>339549731
>merciless with the fire emblem amiibo
I gave up on that around the mansion level where lucina was pretty much useless and all my damage had to be done with Robin and Ike pushing marth around. I'm tempted to say I don't believe you given how some of the later levels are that brutal and are designed around a cohesive team.

If there is a sequel i want the unlocks to come earlier. I didn't even have 3/4ths of the subweapons when I first beat the game and the last character requires you to beat the game like 2 more times(or in my case one merciless run and a few more stages).

And for the ability to watch all the cut scenes again as you play or at least in the theater. The theater has some of them but is missing stuff like character introductions.

>>339549935
Rereading it I understand how it can be confusing. Following the reply chain leads to >>339546902 where I said
>Fox is legit for the star face fight. She dealt 1.8k damage

>>339550246
I love scarecrow. Bombs act as a wall, stun shit, and set up some great combos with carter and John.

>>339550549
>tfw when no sequel with antman powers paul bunyan and time traveler Vip Van Winkle
>>
>>339550246
The Fox was pretty fuckin' rad, she's a permanent fixture in my party. Don't know where the fuck she comes from though.
>>
>>339551051
Literally genderbent Zoro since apparently they can't actually use him due to copyright or something
>>
>>339550675
A lot of the backlash was due to the western art style of the game that put people off. Some were just annoyed that it wasn't an Advance Wars game.

A shame, because with a couple more games in the series to polish it further, they would've really had something there. I wonder if they could use the engine for a Splatoon game?

>>339551051
She's quite literally Zorro.
>>
>>339550675
Why? It's cheesy but it fits the tone pretty well, also helps that honest Abe was a total bro.
>>
>>339551184
No they hated who the voice actor WAS, not his acting.
Wil Wheaton
>>
>>339543580

No, but buy Adavance Wars GBA and DS games, they are the dev's best work.
>>
File: whatitsaysonthetin.png (289 KB, 538x511) Image search: [Google]
whatitsaysonthetin.png
289 KB, 538x511
>>339550974
>>
>>339546753
Aww you're no fun.

Actually kinda reminds me of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFpUdUoz5-0
>>
>>339551128
>>339551153
Huh, well alright then. Odd choice but I'll accept it.
>>
>>339551336
I'm not familiar with the guy, why the controversy
>>
So does anyone know what the rank is when you hit a million medals? I was grinding for it and got to like 200k medals and I haven't tried again yet.
>>
>>339552037
No idea, I was more interested in the unlock which is apparently Mini A.B.E
>>
>>339544220
This complaint generally comes from awakeningbabies who aren't used to enemy movements mattering.
>>
File: MURICA.jpg (162 KB, 400x240) Image search: [Google]
MURICA.jpg
162 KB, 400x240
>>339552263
He's pretty interesting
>>
>>
>>339552301
Or people that don't like having to wait for a millennium for their turn to come up.

All their other games had options to cut out animations to save time.
>>
File: codenamesteamsprite.png (9 KB, 800x400) Image search: [Google]
codenamesteamsprite.png
9 KB, 800x400
>>
>>339552027
I don't remember why but I think it had to do with /v/ calling him an SJW.
>>
>>339550246
You know, given the games lovecraftian villains you would've figured he would've had a larger role in the grand scheme of things
>>
File: democracyfails.jpg (104 KB, 400x240) Image search: [Google]
democracyfails.jpg
104 KB, 400x240
>>
>>339552403
America
America
God shed his grace on thee
>>
>>339543245

Nintendo tends to give games sequels regardless of how well they do, we could get a sequel, Nintendo's new IP's this gen tend to either stick longer or get sequels

>>339543580
Actually, the reviews that hate Codename steam are shitheads who want to play Fire Emblem and Advance wars instead

>It's not like fire emblem, I wish I was playing a Fire Emblem game

Literally gamespot's review

So your better off playing this game first
>>
So how did you feel when Lincoln took a bullet for Henry?
>>
File: CodeNameSteamConceptArt6.png (1 MB, 1000x738) Image search: [Google]
CodeNameSteamConceptArt6.png
1 MB, 1000x738
>>
>>339552780
I'm just happy he got in at all.

The Necronomicon was a pretty big part of the story.
>>
>they won't update the game for Roy and Corrin's amiibo
>no new DLC missions
>tfw I believe it's a better SRPG than Fates

I actually like the artstyle because I'm a comicfag and the game is real fun

Also the reason why it was shitposted to death was the combination of Wil Wheton, asshurt AW fans/MM fans and Splatoon shitposters because the game was released around the same time
>>
Ok so get this, what if STEAM gets a sequel and it has new American character, BUT it has some characters from literature from European countries as well.

What characters would you want to get in?
>>
>>339543245
Eb games in canada selling it for $5. Had to pick it up at that price.
>>
>>339552862
Wasn't the game designed to appeal to the shooter crowd in the first place as an entry level strategy game?

>>339552930
Manly tears were shed that day, with more afterwards when he pulled that shit again.
>>
File: scarecrow.png (130 KB, 729x417) Image search: [Google]
scarecrow.png
130 KB, 729x417
>>339552862
god those guys were fucking annoying. I love Fire Emblem and Advance Wars but even I know when to broaden to other gameplay styles instead of sticking with the same shit for years.

I had tons of fun with this title.
>>
>>339553148
>yfw Abe comes back in the sequel
>yfw he pulls that shit again
>>
>>339553148
>Wasn't the game designed to appeal to the shooter crowd in the first place as an entry level strategy game?
Ain't nothing entry level about that 2nd half of the game.
>>
>>339553116
Alice would be Pick #1.
>>
>>339552563
All their other games, starting at Shadow Dragon.
Funny how this is the only good game IS has made since then.
>>
File: [email protected] (89 KB, 487x488) Image search: [Google]
char__agent--tom-sawyer--in-action@2x.jpg
89 KB, 487x488
Posting best character
>>
File: LucinaBest.jpg (234 KB, 400x240) Image search: [Google]
LucinaBest.jpg
234 KB, 400x240
>>339553148
no it wasn't. It was suppose to appeal to the turn based strategy gamers.

Sadly people were expecting mindless shooter or with RPG elements instead of actually thinking or strategizing their moves.
>>
>>339553396
Would you pull an Oz and include 3 other characters from Alice as well?
>>
>>339553298
>3 artilleries
>no weakspots
>little shelter
>on a linear path with berserkers, stealth prowlers, pitfalls, queens and lurkers
>GOOD FUCKING LUCK

fuck that mission
>>
File: TheirFaceWhenTierList (2).jpg (108 KB, 500x487) Image search: [Google]
TheirFaceWhenTierList (2).jpg
108 KB, 500x487
>>
File: Lion.png (18 KB, 105x96) Image search: [Google]
Lion.png
18 KB, 105x96
>>339553617
>>
>>339553617
>Randolf
>Bad
>>
>>339552951
never understood why tinman became a random ass samurai
>>
>>339550549
>using Mine Launcher with Tom
>punching bitches into bombs
my nigga
>>
>>339553709
Because it's funny
>>
File: TheHenryTrio.jpg (43 KB, 616x200) Image search: [Google]
TheHenryTrio.jpg
43 KB, 616x200
>>
>>339553116
>Sigfreid
>Robin hood
>Daniel Boon
>>
>>339553116
Frankenstein's monster
>>
>>339553462
No because no other characters from Alice are independently noteworthy enough, despite other Alice fanfic shit trying to force characters like the Mad Hatter really hard.
>>
>>339553890
Frankenstein AND the Monster.
>>
Has anyone else purposely gone out of his way to look at the billboards? I've ended up losing missions because of it, but they're written well.
>>
File: GayMarriage.png (218 KB, 530x700) Image search: [Google]
GayMarriage.png
218 KB, 530x700
>>
>>339554075
On occasion, always did it after clearing the vicinity though. Good flavor text.
>>
>>339553830
But that's robin
>>
>>339553709

Woodcutters are apparently common in Japanese folk tales.
>>
Is it bad if I take over one hour to complete each mission (including getting all the gears)?
>>
>>339554890
no. I beaten the game back when it had no fastforward.
>>
>>339554890
Nah, that's how I played through the first time around.

Then I started doing efficiency runs
>>
>>339555054
Same here.
Who /Day 1/ here?
>>
>>339555212
Why the fuck did it even come with a majoras mask pin anyways?
>>
>>339555364
What?
>>
>>339555545
The pre-order bonus for this game was a pin of Majora's Mask.
>>
>>339555364
to make Zelda fans try out the game and we all know how stubborn Zelda fans are.
>>
Glad this was a pretty chill thread with minimum shit posting.

how often does that happen?
>>
>>339556595

Almost never. Either trolls spam "MAMA MIA" or "Codename S.H.I.T" or the thread dies before it gets even ten posts but Overwatch is taking up most of /v/'s shitposting efforts right now.

IT also helps where it was posted at night where minimal shitposting takes place because either Brits are sleeping or just waking up to go to work or school, or Aussies are working or just getting off from work.
>>
>>339557397
In any case it's been a pleasure, maybe in the future if there's ever a sequel we could have another good thread.
>>
>>339552493
>When you end your turn and set up the Overwatch attacks just right
>>
>>339552991
>People were angry about the game because it wasn't Majora's Mask 3D, which still came out and sucked ass anyways
>People were angry about Wil Wheaton because he's anti-gamergate or alternatively about Adam Baldwin because he's gamergate
>People found the stupidest reasons to disregard the game
It really boils my water how much shit the game got.
>>
>>339554075
I wish there was a prompt to read them because sometimes I'll be around a corner and I'll keep accidentally running into a billboard over and over. They're well-written, though. Lots of ostentatious references to period appropriate minutiae.
>>
>>339543245
Ironically badass Lincolon is such a worn out idea, its like the lowest common denominator to appeal to seattle hipsters
>>
>>339559415
How is that hipsterish?
>>
>>339560149
hipsters like him because he crushed the evil bigoted south in the civil war
also meme beards
>>
>>339560237
I guess what I mean to say is that it's a past concept that appeals to more than just hipsters, since he's almost always portrayed as a badass in fiction
>>
File: 1429390609032.jpg (235 KB, 1000x1200) Image search: [Google]
1429390609032.jpg
235 KB, 1000x1200
>>
>>339553116
Don Quixote
>>
So let's pretend for a moment that this game DIDN'T bomb and IntSys announced a sequel. Who would you want to see in it?

>Huckleberry Finn
>Paul Bunyan
>Davy Crockett
>Harry Houdini
>Victor Frankenstein
>Dr. Watson
>Pierre Aronnax
>Roy with Sword of Seals and Murgleis
>Corrin with Omega Yato and Ganglari
>>
>another e3 comes and goes without AW3DS being announced
>there's another presentation later on that night, might as well watch for shits and giggles
>they disclaimed beforehand that it was a new IP, so what's the worst that could happen
>literally IS showing off what the AW team was doing instead of AW, effectively confirming that it wouldn't be a thing for at least three more years
>still rationalize buying it at launch because it's like I'm kickstarting AW or something
>it out-flopped evolve somehow
>it's still fun but has no replay value

It's okay, though, this'll be the year.
>>
>>339554739

Plus, count how many shonen anime where the MC believes in the power of Heart.
>>
File: 1432266032674.png (481 KB, 600x700) Image search: [Google]
1432266032674.png
481 KB, 600x700
>>
>>339561036

The Cat in the Hat.
>>
>>339561036
Theodore Roosevelt

His weapon would be The Big Stick
>>
>>339561416
Fuckin' fund that shit
>>
>>339549071
>>339550246
>>339552585
>>339553161
>>339554189
>>339560680
>>339561301

Where is all this fanart coming from?

Is there a pixiv tag or sumshit?
>>
>FOUR fucking Oz reps
>everyone else only gets one

Fucking IntSys with their stupid L Frank Baum obsession.
>>
File: 1432267404478.png (3 KB, 320x120) Image search: [Google]
1432267404478.png
3 KB, 320x120
>>339561036

>Peter Pan
>Juan Ponce de Leon/Fountain of Youth
>Paul Bunyan
>Rip Van Winkle
>Ichabod Crane
>Pecos Bill
>Davy Jones
>>
File: tomsawyer.png (440 KB, 1280x1906) Image search: [Google]
tomsawyer.png
440 KB, 1280x1906
>>
I want to like this game. The attitude and cast is pretty damn sweet, and I like the gameplay as a base but it still feels so rough in a way and could really benefit from some kind of way to recon an area so you don't have to meticulously study every corner and opening to make sure you don't get overwatched. Or at least it feels like that to me when I try to play a new mission.

Taking another moment to shill SteamWorld Heist, seriously it's another good game that deserves attention. You don't gotta buy it now, but keep it in mind when it gets ported to other systems.
>>
If it were to get a sequel what time period would you want it to be?

I'd be partial to the early 1900's
>>
I ended buying it when EB Games was selling new copies for a quarter of the RRP.
When I finished it and read some reviews to see what some of the complaints were, I was absolutely floored by how stupid some of these reviewers were.
The game goes out of it'sway to teach you early on the game is primarily about good positioning and that you need to think carefully about where you place your troops so you can see as much of the battle as possible. Most of the "professional" reviews were complaining because there wasn't an overhead map to look at and they couldn't see who was shooting them.
I mean, I know "professional" reviews are mostly terrible but I just couldn't believe how hard these people missed the fucking point.
This game has quite a few flaws but not being your typical overhead view TBS is not one of them.
>>
>>339563564

Pretty much, there are two possible opinions on the game:

1) You'll play the game all the way through to the end, loving it despite its flaws

or

2) You'll give up before recruiting Tiger Lily and never touch the game again.

There is no middle-ground.
>>
Now that I think about this game's artstyle, I gotta say that it reminds me more of Batman The Brave and the Bold.

Anyone else feel that?
>>
>>339563810
I kinda ended up doing that in reverse, got to tiger lily put the game down for a few months. Jumped back in then loved it to the bittersweet end.
>>
File: 1429390237288.jpg (1 MB, 1280x1916) Image search: [Google]
1429390237288.jpg
1 MB, 1280x1916
>>339564078
It's not surprising, the Brave and the Bold's artstyle was based on Jack Kirby's work which was also a big influence in Codename Steam. So visual similarities are to be expected.
>>
>>339564530
Gonna be honest, I wouldn't mind having a FE with this artstyle.
>>
File: codename expectations.png (2 MB, 1000x1378) Image search: [Google]
codename expectations.png
2 MB, 1000x1378
>>339543245
I liked it enough to beat the whole thing before the patch was even announced.
It really is a shame how it flopped.
>>
I bought the game on sale but haven't had time to play it yet. Now that summer's here I'm gonna get it done.

I don't have any amiibos so I'm pretty bummed I won't be able to get any FE characters.
>>
>>339564984
Game plays just fine without em'
>>
THE ENEMY IS CLOSE

TOO CLOSE
>>
File: 1432271792345.jpg (101 KB, 438x750) Image search: [Google]
1432271792345.jpg
101 KB, 438x750
>>339565280
MUSTA HEARD ME CLANKIN' AROUND
>>
>>339565280
They sensed me... Interesting.
>>
The European localisation was pretty fucking terrible in some regards.
It had the same VA work as the NA version but the text was usually translated differently.
Sometimes it was just different wording for the same sentence but sometimes you ended up with characters being called completely different things between the text and the VA.
>Tiger Lily is just Lily.
>Queequeg became King Queg
>Tin Man became Tin Can
>Scarecrow becomes Strawman.
It feels like I'm reading some chinese bootleg translation and is the only major problem I had with the game.
>>
>>339565627
Why?
>>
>>339565627
Were the books different in Europe or something?
>>
>>339565627
maybe they tried to adapt out >american >cultural references because most of them would be completely lost on europeans?
>>
>>339550675
I couldn't even tell Abe was Wil Wheaton. Wasn't that big of a deal.
>>
>>339565903
I have no fucking idea.
It's just a really dumb localisation choice.
Maybe they've got a quota or something for dumb localisation choices.

>>339566075
Not that I'm aware of.

>>339566098
Half of this shit is basic popular culture in the west, especially when you take into account film adaptations.
Treehouse has done some really stupid shit but for me, this shit is even more retarded because there is no reason for it.
>>
File: classic blunder.jpg (14 KB, 204x203) Image search: [Google]
classic blunder.jpg
14 KB, 204x203
>>339555364
>>339555806
>go to store to pre-order the game
>they give me the pin right then and there
>go back to pick the game up later in the week
>they give me another pin
My Zeldafag friend was begging me to give or sell the extra for weeks.
I started wearing both of them on my shirt whenever we hung out.
>>
I wonder, if this game gets a sequel, would they use Randolf Carter again or would they get a different Lovecraft character?
>>
File: 1432139315985.png (151 KB, 650x464) Image search: [Google]
1432139315985.png
151 KB, 650x464
>>339566525
Herbert West could be a decent antagonist of some kind.
>>
>>339566525
If they removed Lovecraft Rusty Venture, I'd throw a shitfit.

Who am I kidding. I'd take anything as long as we got a well made sequel.
>>
>>339566825

>The sequel adds Samus as an amiibo unlock.

>She's low tier.
>>
>>339567002
Metroidfags bitch about everything related to the series anyway.
Even if she was the best character in the game, they'd find something to bitch about.
>>
>>339567412
Her armor, it'd be her armor.
>>
>>339567412
Why the FUCK is Samus in America's past!?

WHERE IS PLAYABLE RIDLEY?!?
>>
>>339570857
Too big
>>
Criminally underrated game. Nintendo really dropped the ball in showcasing the game from the very beginning with their tiny grainy screenshots. I'm really glad I gave the game a chance and picking it up for so cheap was only a benefit.

I thought the game was supposed to be more challenging though. Though I abused the save points as much as I could, I only really got stuck in the game on the second to last map trying to beat the dreadnaughts who wouldn't reveal their weak points, but then I just snuck past them and beat it anyway. Also if I felt like a map wasn't going so good I'd retry it and knew what to expect.
>>
File: 1464155682737.gif (2 MB, 496x366) Image search: [Google]
1464155682737.gif
2 MB, 496x366
fucking releasing this when splatoon was out

it's like nintendo wanted this game to fail.

i hope Intelligent systems take the gameplay and mechanics and slap them on a more pleasing aesthetic

sure it'll look like another weeb game but whatever i fucking loved PLAYING this.
>>
>>339573071
It came out three months before Splatoon, though.
Thread replies: 164
Thread images: 31

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.