[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Remind me what Demons Soul's did better than the other soulsborne
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 185
Thread images: 24
Remind me what Demons Soul's did better than the other soulsborne games.
>>
Did it first
>>
>>339538121
Came first
Attempted to give you a real reason to revive
>>
atmosphere
>>
>>339538121

DeS Estoc is easily the finest weapon the series ever produced.

Dragonbone is easily the best ultra the series ever produced.

These two movesets were never surpassed. Nothing even came close to Estoc.
>>
>>339538234
>>339538256
So nostalgia. Just as I thought.
>>
I liked that atmosphere, story, and NPCs. Also liked soul form better than being a bacon person. Magic was more fun too since spice was abundant so you could easily play a pure caster without ever having to melee.
>>
>>339538121
2 words: Dragon Bone Smasher
>>
Nexus is better than dark souls world interconnectivity
>>
>>339538121
>Lets you be a boss in one of the areas
>Had world tendency which changed stuff in some areas
>Had some cool weapons that never made it into other games (Like Dragon Bone Smasher and StormRuler)
>>
>>339538234
>>339538256
Not really. It's barely any different from King's Field / Shadow Tower except for being 3rd person which is just part of technical advancement.

In Shadow Tower you even use soul pods for leveling up and as currency.

And sure, they had no online-mode but that's a moot point as no consoles had that back then (aside from the dreamcast).
>>
>>339538121
not being a rehash.
>>
>>339538256
This, hollow form was always 50% health w/o the proper ring
>>
>>339538121

Most bosses were unique, with few re-used mechanics or throw-away fights. Areas were similar, each one was very unique and they didn't repeat themes or design. The Nexus was a great hub. You had the most options of which way to go at any given time (five, after you beat 1-1) in any SoulsBorne game. *Probably* the best final boss in any Souls game, although that's arguable. Most well-presented story and lore of any of the games, for the most part. Most clear explanation of what you were doing, but without making it super obvious.

More, probably. But I figure that's enough to be going on with.
>>
Maiden in Black
>>
>>339538648
Have you played 3 yet?
>>
>>339538827
>*Probably* the best final boss in any Souls game
Fake King Allant isnt the final boss
>>
>greats NPCs
>story
>atmosphere

No other soulsborne game had all 3 again
>>
>>339538827

Oh, also it's tied for DaS3 for how easy invasions were to get into, and definitely first for how valuable being alive was compared to being dead. Gave you a real reason to get summoned or invade people.
>>
>>339538928
There is no area in 3 where you become the boss faggot.
>>
It wasn't difficult for difficulty's sake. Good as the DaS/Bloodborne games were they felt like I was playing a big meme. A shitty reason I know, but still.

Also pvp was simple and worked as intended, unlike the fucking covenant mess.
>>
>>339538628
A huge part of these games is adventure and exploration. I find it strange so many people prefer the hub world design. Seems much more bland and lazy to me than actually connecting the game between areas.
>>
>>339539019

He pretty much is. Sure you can do him early if you want, and the real king is always going to be after him, but that's just semantics. In every way that mattered False King was the last boss of the game.
>>
>>339539057
>being a dick isn't a real reason for invading

It was the only reason ever necessary nigger.

There was nothing more satisfying than kicking an invader off the cliff and making him lose a soul level for it. It was a bullshit mechanic but it was great.
>>
>Play DeS after being told it's harder and better than DaS
>It's the easiest and is barely any different
>Beat the entire thing in a day

Why did you lie to me /v/?
>>
>>339539079
Yeah you're right. Never said there was.
>>
>>339539151
"no"
>>
File: Vanguard.png (459 KB, 549x501) Image search: [Google]
Vanguard.png
459 KB, 549x501
>>339538121
Invasions, characters, unique weapons, unique bosses, atmosphere.
>>
-Best aesthetic out of the bunch
-best canon armor
-best beating tut boss without trope
-best level bitch
-best hub
-best gimmick bosses
-best creepy level

There's a couple other things but mainly its that this one came first. I just came back to it after putting way too many hours in dark souls 3 and this game is janky as fuck. I love it but fuck man, its not polished.
>>
It has the best iteration of the Butcher's Cleaver.
>>
>>339538121
Waifu
>>
Personally I loved only des visuals more than das and das2 ones
But now we have das3 and bloodborne on the new gen consoles, so this doesn't work anymore in the des advantage
Everything else was mediocre
>>
>>339539441
Man I miss Demon's Souls.
Shame I sold it along with my PS3 for rent lol
>>
>>339539190

It's not a reason for most people, no. Being a dick is a reason to get twinked out and prey on newbies for no gain other than their tears, but that's got nothing to do with the game itself.

Invading as a legitimate means of getting your body back so you can attempt a hard boss with more health (and/or summon phantoms to help) however, is.

With dickwraiths, you got a lot of people invading in the Parish with end-game gear. With invasions in DeS you got people invading *everywhere* at roughly the same stage of progression as the person being invaded. It made invasions something you could reasonably expect at any time, as well as something you could be expected to deal with if you were more skilled than the invader. It wasn't just havel-monsters and gank-squads.
>>
Nothing but it was the first, and still holds up.

Plus man eater is still one of the hardest bosses in the trilogy
>>
>>339538724
Difference is that Demon's did it with good combat senpai
>>
File: 374320_20160530162845_1.jpg (528 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
374320_20160530162845_1.jpg
528 KB, 1920x1080
>>339538121
What's with From and dramatically dead knights?
>>
The atmosphere just felt so much more oppressing for some reason. Also, the arrows actually had weight, meaning you couldn't carry 999 with no penalty and cheese the fuck out of everything.
>>
Only thing I liked more in DeS was the art direction.

But DS pretty much improved the game in every way.

Exclusive fanboys and nostalgia retards will still call it the best game in the series though for some reason.
>>
File: 1450832047179.png (459 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1450832047179.png
459 KB, 1000x1000
>that atmosphere
>those NPC
>those bosses
>the Nexus

Fuck, I want to play it again.
>>
>>339539441

>-best canon armor

Aww yeshh, 4 games have come since then and Fluted armor still reigns supreme.
>>
>>339538724
>implying anyone in /v/ has even heard of kings field.

Nigga we old, these kids probably think the moonlight sword came from DS
>>
>>339539583
>man eater is still one of the hardest bosses in the trilogy

aw, anon. git gooder
>>
>>339538256
>Attempted to give you a real reason to revive
Unless you know how WT works, in which case you will stay in spirit form forever and spend all your free lives earned from killing bosses on Nexus suicides.

>>339538648
>Lets you be a boss in one of the areas
Either you fight the NPC version and it's the easiest boss in the game, or you get some grass munching faggot that you can't do anything about because DeS had terrible PVP. DaS2 did it better with Looking Glass Knight. Getting a player instead of a generic NPC phantom completely changes the fight and it's fun as hell for both parties, and it's still a decent challenge for offline players.

>>339538121
All the levels and stories contribute to the whole, there's no filler and no obviously unfinished levels. None of the Dark Souls games manage this. Bloodborne comes close, but some of the later levels are obviously rushed. Also Tower of Latria is the scariest level in the series.
>>
>>339539819
We get it. You're a nineteen year old special snowflake.
>>
>>339539729
It's quite the opposite. Demon Souls is barely brought up in /v/ and any time it is, people who only played the Dark soul games come to the threads to shitpost how much better they are.
>>
Replayed DeS last month and got 1 invasion my entire playthrough, human form and everything. Disappointing for sure but godamn it's still a fantastic game
>>
It's not in other consoles so that makes it a really bad game, just like Bloodborne.
>>
File: demonsoul.jpg (57 KB, 341x399) Image search: [Google]
demonsoul.jpg
57 KB, 341x399
Atmosphere

Writing

Voice acting

ZERO copy pasted bosses

just admit that you're a filthy causal who never played DeS and jumped on board the souls train after Dark Souls went multiplat
>>
I'm split on the bosses. On the one hand they are generally unique, on the other hand they are generally boring.
>>
>>339539441
I have to agree with the janky part. I still love this game but I feel like I owe that to being the first one I played. Now it's hard to go back to this shit after playing all the others especially Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3.
>>
>>339539819
Did you try KF Sword of Moonlight for PC?
It's pretty neat and there are a couple fan made adventures that are pretty decent.
>>
>>339540140
I mean I'm still enjoying my current play through but there are somethings that feel off. To be fair I'm going tower knight and that halberd moveset...

It's not great.
>>
NPCs

level design not counting BB (equal to 3)

world/character tendency events unique

best online trolling
>>
>>339540118

Really? I thought they were the most unique in the series. Even now I can't recall anything really like... most of them, actually. Phalanx, Tower Knight, Armor Spider (probably for the best, there), Adjudicator, Old Hero, Storm King, and Old Monk are all bosses whose mechanics largely didn't get reused.
>>
File: totally not maiden in black.jpg (275 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
totally not maiden in black.jpg
275 KB, 1024x768
>>
>>339538121
Better music
Better NPCs
Better hub world

That's about it everything else was improved in other souls games I would include atmosphere but Bloodborne beat it in that area.
>>
>all these people who only say because it came before the others
>not having any other points
Jesus guys get some valid criticisms as to why like it the best. Saying just became it came first is like saying watching something on VHS is superior to bluray 4k because VHS came before it.
>>
>>339538648
Storm Ruler is in DS3 and works the same way.
>>
>>339540079
>implying I didn't start with DeS years ago and just start playing dark souls two weeks ago

I've been having a lot of fun actually, but I do miss DeS and plan to replay it. I was stuck on 3-3, that place was a NIGHTMARE.
>>
>>339540485
Your analogy sucks because games are content and vhs is a medium.
>>
>>339540079
I miss the Demon's Souls atmosphere, it had a lot going for it.
I still like the Dark Souls series, but man, Demon's left an impression.
I remember /v/ saying it was out, so I bought it on a whim.
I think I was playing Monster Hunter at the time thinking I was hot shit, so I wanted a challenge.
Here I got rekt like crazy, and had to cheese the game with bows and arrows.
Fast forward and I got all the trophies in Bloodborne, and I've been soloing all the bosses in DSIII with swords and no shield.
DSII taught me about the i-frames.
You can dodge attacks so I never needed a shield ever again.
>>
>>339540545
>3-3
It's just a staircase, nigger.
>>
>>339540495
Move along. He's just the typical shitter who says DeS is better than 3 when he clearly hasn't played both games.
>>
>>339540316
no I only have 1 and 2 on the playstation, I should check it out sometime maybe
>>
File: 1453599329858.jpg (32 KB, 310x280) Image search: [Google]
1453599329858.jpg
32 KB, 310x280
>3-1
>5-2
>>
I finally replayed it and it's my second least favorite, but WELL above DaS2. It's a fantastic game but all the others did things better than it. I used to hold it above DaS but I think now that the interconnectedness of that game trumps the hub-spoke design. I think individual levels are stronger in DeS, and in general I love the lore and storytelling. They hit a lovely balance of ambiguity and straight forward which wasn't quite repeated at the same equal balance in the other games. The world feels pretty unique compared to the others and I love how many options are available at any time. The gameplay is much more unpolished than later games but I can't fault it for being improved upon.

Most importantly, despite later games' improvements, DeS still holds up as a great game in its own right. For me personally I'd rank the games as

BB > DaS3 > DaS = DeS > DaS2

I love this series to death, it's probably been the most fun I've ever had with vidya. It generally improved as it went along, which is what every series should strive for, and that doesn't diminish the original any.
>>
>>339540750

He probably means 3-2

>trying to solo the maneaters without being a magic shitter
>>
>>339540495
Its nothing like des stormruler.
>>
>>339540674
When the only one point is literally that it's older it's very fitting. If they had mentioned what it actually did better that would be different.
>>
File: 1464086836887.jpg (57 KB, 394x314) Image search: [Google]
1464086836887.jpg
57 KB, 394x314
>>339540915
>about to kill one maneater
>the other one pushes my ass down the bridge
>>
File: Z_Das_DeS.png (1 MB, 1086x1144) Image search: [Google]
Z_Das_DeS.png
1 MB, 1086x1144
>>339538121

It is, to this day, the only soulsborne game where PvP was anything resembling viable. Shame it still went to shit at high levels, but what can you do?

Anyway, take a look at these two pictures (which I've conveniently shopped into one picture). They pretty accurately represent the differences between Demon's Souls invasions and everything that came after.
>>
>>339540495
>works the same way

not really
>>
File: 1433112525062.jpg (55 KB, 500x385) Image search: [Google]
1433112525062.jpg
55 KB, 500x385
>>339540876

>5-anything
>>
>>339541110
Lolo is best boy-slut.
>>
>>339541045
>nothing like it
Yeah probably just a coincidence.
>>
>souls will never be a mysterious, exciting adventure again and you will only play new games to repeat the same formulaic shit that gets fake hype trailers and wikis before launch over and over
>>
>>339541457
>we'll never get another Bloodborne
>>
>>339540427
Reread the post anon. I said "generally unique," which means many are unique. I just don't think unique is inherently good. Phalanx wasn't reused, but it also wasn't a terribly fun fight so who cares.
>>
>>339540915
>>339540750
Yeah I meant 3-2. My bad.

That place was a fucking nightmare. I kept falling off.
>>
>>339541213

Darkwraith conditions forever doomed invasions into its current state.
>>
>>339541571

Agreed. Dark Souls 3 let you get an invasion item gratifyingly early, but there was really no point to invasions other than gathering covenant items, so it sadly remained sort of shitty.
>>
File: 1415716391821.jpg (10 KB, 219x187) Image search: [Google]
1415716391821.jpg
10 KB, 219x187
>save Yurt
>bodies start showing up on Nexus
>"oh shit, probably just something to do with the number of bosses I've killed, the music changed to one boss ago"
>come back later
>some "important" nigger is dead
>w-wait a minute, that guy
>>
best hub, best level up waifu, npcs walk around the levels and fight enemies(that was a mind blow to me because i played das1 and 2 first), interesting bosses mechanics, npcs help you with the bosses in person, not with phantoms that it doesnt matter if they die or not and that cant talk, making it much more personal and intense because if they die its forever, some of the best amors, weapons, you can climb up small rocks and walls, enemies walk around around their area(this is back in bb and ds3, but wasnt in ds1), oh and also best cutscenes
and better introduction for the game, and also better tutorial level, and it also have a cool intro when you start the game.
the game also explains you what is happening making you want to know what will happen, a actual story, and you dont just start playing without a clue of what is happening and who you are
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXWhQxd5QUE&
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpyBa3JKpbc&
>>
>>339539027
oh cmon, DaS has those as well. what don't you like anon?
>>
>>339540915
I had a much harder time with maneaters on my magic build than on my str build
>>
>>339541825

Meanwhile people people couldn't stop with the "fuck you Lautrec" meme over a single firekeeper
>>
File: badend.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
badend.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>339538843
>>
>>339541975
>souls story now
>lol dude gotta kill these guys
>lol that's it
>>
>>339540760
Played both/all souls games, DES is better by a country mile compared to 3.
>>
>>339542059
because des fanbase is cancer, sometimes i tried to explain on pleddit some years ago that he did nothing wrong , he helped you with summons and anastacia wants to die, but then they start ''MUH BONFIRE ABAB MY DEFENSELESS LADY MLADY ''and then they start saying that solaire is gwyn firstborn and'' praise the sun'' for no reason
fuck that place
>>
Early game invasions.

>DaS
>get fucked in the ass by invading twirling rapists with electric twangers

>DaS II
>loldidn'tplay

>DaS III
>invade and get hit by a gank squad 24/7 for shit rewards
>>
File: 1452402450648.jpg (180 KB, 549x390) Image search: [Google]
1452402450648.jpg
180 KB, 549x390
It did Invasions better.
You only had 2 sides in multiplayer rather than multiple as the newer Soul games.

And it was completely "no holds barred" grudge matches. Invaders could be as evil and dickish as they wanted to be in order to achieve their objectives.
All the newer Soul games applied rules and caused the community to expand on them because they finally thought they could apply arbitrary shit to make "fairness" more possible.
DeS never had any sort of dev applied rule as invaders could use everything immediately, weapons could break the Host's weapon or even completely bypass shield defenses and use magic that was quickly casted and would completely decimate the Host.
>>
>>339542319

It's funny. Considering what an important, original, and unique idea invasions were in DeS, it's still the only game to ever get them right.

You'd think they would eventually learn, but here we are, five games in, and only in the first game were they workable.
>>
Is every faggot on DS3 in a gank squad? I think I had a fair 1v1 fight maybe once.
>>
File: 1442971913913.png (56 KB, 866x282) Image search: [Google]
1442971913913.png
56 KB, 866x282
>>339542463
>mfw invading and knocking Ostrava off into the abyss from that narrow bridge in the city, and then killing the host
>>
>>339542564

As mentioned above, the obscure conditions to start invading in DaS1 created a cancerous climate with the haveldad->Giantdad at the front. And with Dark Souls becoming mainstream and literally the perfect game, that system stuck all the way to DaS3 even when it fixed the problem gameplaywise.
>>
>>339542943

Invaders get priority to get matched with hosts that have phantoms. There's also an item that lets hosts summon three phantoms, but also ups their chances of getting invaded.

So, yeah. It's pretty much always going to be gank squads, even if the host doesn't intend it to be. Better Git Gud if you want to win.
>>
File: twoperspectives.gif (310 KB, 1830x648) Image search: [Google]
twoperspectives.gif
310 KB, 1830x648
>>339542972

Step on a lego.
>>
I don't like invasions.
>>
>>339542943
It's because the series has become so popular more and more without skill and lacking experience join in. The same is true about reds in 3. I don't coop and I still get invaded plenty. 9 times out of 10 the reds won't even try to fight without enemy support. Just casual tier normies.
>>
>>339538648
>The lore implication and cool location of moonlight sword
>It's reduced to a boss made weapon only now
It felt so much more unique when you had to pull it from that slug pile.
>>
>>339542564
Infinite grass and infinite second chance ruined it.
>>
>>339543219
>.gif
Not even once.
>>
File: 1463200669755.png (199 KB, 640x530) Image search: [Google]
1463200669755.png
199 KB, 640x530
>>339542943
>tfw sentinel or darkmoon and gangbanging invaders with the host and his phantoms
>>
>>339543363
It's harmless. I've been waiting for something to pop out for a good 30 seconds.
If your paranoia still gets to you, then just copy the image and paste it in our old buddy, MS paint.
>>
File: shrug.jpg (52 KB, 400x266) Image search: [Google]
shrug.jpg
52 KB, 400x266
>>339538121
Honestly? I miss a character like Yurt, Yes he was a total ass but it gave such good atmosphere when the first person went missing.
They did a similar thing with Lautrec but you can not only revert the situation but gain more from letting him do it. Same with Silver Mask guy from 3.
>>
>>339543267

Yeah, it went to shit in the late-game, it's true. But early on it was kind of an amazing thing, and it never has been again.

Oh, man, a thought. So people still complain about sipping in DaS3, like they have since DaS1. Rightly, too, to at least some extent. But there's a stupidly simple solution that I don't think I've seen mentioned before.

Remember how a host sipping would heal friendly phantoms in DaS1? Just apply that to invaders too, but give them no other way to heal.

BAM! PROBLEM SOLVED!
>>
>>339539441

>best gimmick bosses

You can't be serious.
>>
>>339543561
>one of the bosses is literally a buffed up player you have to fight against

Better gimmick than most of the other bosses that try some dumb thing.
>>
>>339540476
>Better music
This is correct.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQw1rPMn95E
>>
>>339542000
Homing soul mass obliterates them horribly. They are the toughest boss in the series unless you cheese them or manage to burst the first one before they are together because once the second shows up... it's basically down to RNG.
>>
I went to Cathedral of the deep and used Storm Ruler on giant. Does not work.
>>
Teleportation ruined the Souls series.
Dark Souls was a step in the right direction, from that point they could've improved on it by bringing back the DeS atmosphere. But instead they went two step backward.
Interconnected world + no teleportation made Dark Souls so great to adventure through, the mind map you had to create, the sense of being lost in an hostile world, leveling on your journey instead of going back to a safe spot every time.
No other souls games ever managed to have the same sense of adventure.

I like Demon's Souls a lot, mostly for its atmosphere and art direction, for the fact that it created a really strong and refreshing gameplay and for the focused narrative, and I love Dark Souls for improving its design in the right direction, even if it wasn't complete, what was there was enough to make me hopeful for the future.

But I can't forgive DaS2 and 3 for doing literally nothing with the formula appart from minor tweaks and going a few step backward in many areas.
I hoped DaS3 would be a mix between DeS atmosphere and DaS world design... Instead it felt so soulless and dull.
>>
>buy Demon's Souls when it first came out
>played it for a week trying to get past the first level, can't
>decided to take a break, play other stuff
>because of this thread, realize I haven't actually touched the game since then

I wonder if anyone would want to watch me fail spectacularly.
>>
Fluted Set is kind of ugly
>>
>>339544578

Depends

How nasal is your voice?

Are you a magic shitter?
>>
>>339544758
>How nasal is your voice?
Not at all. However I wasn't planning on talking anyway. I've never liked hearing the player talk, 9 out of 10 times they're blabbing away about bullshit, and usually during cutscenes.
>>
>>339544758
Oh, forgot your second question.

I don't know. What do you mean?
>>
>>339538121
Atmosphere and originality
>>
>>339544935
>>339544578
I don't think it'd be successful unless you are angry or react like a tard, or are genuinely funny.
>>
>>339545040

In Demon's Souls magic was fairly unbalanced and made PvE pretty easy, though only a few later game spells were really useful for PvP.

It can be boring to watch someone just wander around casting Soul Ray on everything the whole game.

Bows are similarly broken, but mostly because of the way enemy aggro works. If you want to have an interesting run, it's best to play with melee weapons for the most part.
>>
>>339543219
Jesus fuck this guy is a book master criminal
>>
>>339545550

Dude left playing with the suggestion of gifting his friend's adopted daughter (who liked to hug his leg and call him uncle) a horse named Verräter. You know, for fun.
>>
>>339544387
It's really nuts that they haven't done anything like Dark Souls again. I have no idea why they'd step away from that. I blame Tanimura for setting the precedent.
>>
>>339543262
Bloodborne's Moonlight Sword was pretty sweet
>>
Old Monk was a better use of the invasion/online system than anything else in the future games.
>>
>>339539404
that looks like a WOW boss
>>
>>339538121
No PC port
>>
>>339546842

>Ludwig wielded the Moonlight Greatsword
>Other Hunter's saw him use it and how he turns a skinny ass sword into a huge magic greatsword
>They tried to replicate it and invented Ludwig's Holy Blade
>>
>>339538121
It didn't get all stupid with the invasion/co-op stuff. Covenants should have complimented the system DeS started. Not ruin it with needless shit just to appease the shitters that never understood the entire concept of invasions to begin with.

Besides that I liked how many of the bosses had gimmicks and more interesting arena's to fight in. Rather than how modern souls is just boss knight fights you in a big open arena. That shit is fucking stale as hell now. Levels were also pretty good to since they were designed with the hub world in mind.
>>
File: sweating.jpg (117 KB, 300x898) Image search: [Google]
sweating.jpg
117 KB, 300x898
DO YOU FAGGOTS REMEMBER THE TOWER OF LATRIA
HNNNNGH I CAN STILL HEAR THE BELLS

>fighting invaders in those narrow fucking prison halls.
>>
>>339547861
Mindflayers were cool but I thought the narrow halls were annoying to fight in. 3-2 >>> 3-1.
>>
Communities first Souls game and most complete world. There are a few bosses that could've been better but all levels more or less had the same amount of effort put into them.

Also had the least confusing endings.
>>
>>339538121
>atmosphere
>soundtrack
>discovery
>charm
>>
>>339538121
each area really feels unique.
>>
>>339540495
Sure thing.

Tell me when the DaS3 Storm Ruler sends people across the room and maybe you'll be right.
>>
>>339543267
>Infinite grass being a problem
I always assume anybody who says this has never actually played DeS, and is just mimicking what other people say.

Sure it was fast, but you got punished for it harder then any other game in the series. You could straight up die on the spot if you got caught munching grass. Actual drawn out fights were few and far in between.

Second Chance was definitely a problem though.
>>
>>339549954

What about mister Samurai Grassmuncher and his skeleton bodyguard?
>>
>>339538121
regen builds

fuck you I like them.
>>
I love how in DeS unique weapons had unique effects that were fun and interesting to play around with.
I hated how in DaS they all just fucking did explosions, slash waves and dumb shit.
>>
>>339550323
That was a different problem.

The problem being that some of the black phantom enemies had more health then bosses. Fighting Selen Vinland without cheesing was still way worse.
>>
>>339538121
Handled fog doors, souls as currency, and black phantoms lore the best.
>>
>>339538293

this
>>
I never got to play DaS2 or 3, did any boss ever repeat SOUL LEVEL LOST with their bosses?
>>
>>339538121
your mom
>>
>>339551845
No.
>>
>>339551642
That's a problem with every game in the series I think. NPCs play by different rules.
>>
>>339538507

>Also liked soul form better than being a bacon person

Interesting

In Demons souls you play as a ghost

In Dark Souls 1 and 2 you play as a zombie

In DS3 you play as a demon.
>>
Fuck world tendency.
>>
>>339538293
meme argument
>>
File: Image8.jpg (88 KB, 481x357) Image search: [Google]
Image8.jpg
88 KB, 481x357
>>339539404
>unique weapons
>implying
>>
>>339540079
Tried to play this piece of shit after Dark Souls. Game is awful
>>
>>339552119
No, it was a specific DeS problem. The healthbars on some of the unique BP enemies were out of this world. There were no regular enemies in any other game that had nearly as much health as them.

And that was before you got into bullshit like BP Satsuki being able to munch grass, or BP Selen having a full heal spell on top of being one of/the worst offender of hp bloat.
>>
>>339552859
one weapon that is in nearly every from rpg

not counting mlgs des had a good selection of unique weapons, I feel it also did a good job with having just enough weapons and making them available at the right times
>>
>>339538121
Brought the King's Field formula into the mainstream. The rest of the games(Except maybe DS2, but even that's debatable) iterated and improved upon it in their own ways.
>>
>>339543528
It was amazing because it was new and fresh and there was no real meta or minmaxing. Now we have all of that when a new souls game is out and there is no going back.
>>
>>339554060
That happened in dark souls 2 as well, kind of. NPC invaders could use estus, had seemingly infinite poise, and could roll out of attacks that players couldn't.
>>
>>339539902
I do agree with you, but technically that lost archstone that leads to the land of the giants always stood out to me as unfinished/unrealized potential.

And some guy also found a barebones map of it on the disc, as well as various monsters/NPCs that were supposed to appear
>>
File: latest.jpg (81 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
81 KB, 1280x720
Still has my favorite characters, story, and lore.
Fucking with world tendency during subsequent playthroughs is much more in interesting than red phantom enemies in NG+.
Being an invader is actually fun because you get to be a massive scraping spear dick, whereas future games tried to make it more "fair" for the invaded.
There's an incentive to revive yourself beyond not looking like a bacon zombie.
This is an unpopular opinion, but I actually like the weight system. There just needed to be a way to send items to Thomas without going through two long loading screens, like the Item Box in DaS.
Both credits sequences blow every other games's out of the water.
The Nexus is by far the best hub area.
Mephistopheles's quest is great.
The porcelain-esque aesthetic is pretty unique.
The red-eye knight at the end of the bridge is still terrifying, as is Latria.
No DLC jewery.
Fluted set is sexy.
There's a boss named "Pentrator".
Maiden in Black's feet.
Stepping on Maiden in Black's head.

IMO BB > DaS >= DeS > DS2 waiting for GOTY version to play DS3
>>
Very fun game if it's your first souls game. If you play any other souls game prior to it, 9/10 times you won't enjoy it.
Kinda like the Disgaea series
>>
>>339556212
>If you play any other souls game prior to it, 9/10 times you won't enjoy it.
That's wrong though
>>
>>339556587
I asked 10 people, 9 didn't like it.
>>
>>339556145
I enjoy your opinions friend.
>>
THE TARGET WAS DESTROYED
You have taken a human's Soul. What a superb demon!
>>
>>339539151
Except for the literal, as in " Who was the last boss of DeS"
>>
>>339538617
>2 words
>>
>>339538314
It was great for a first game, but they improved upon it in virtually every way in later games
>>
>>339556785
Well they obviously have shit taste to hate a literal masterpiece
>>
>>339547989
Agreed. 3-2 is the best level in the game for sure.
>>
Post yfw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1-d8FkUMC8
>>
Latria
>>
>>339538121
>First
>Atmosphere of imposing dread
>Best developed storyline
>Most interesting NPC's
>Less is more with the weapons and magic, making everything feel significant
>General "significance" beating a level seems significant, doing a questline feels significant, getting an upgrade or a level seems significant, much more than any other game in the series

It's just the best and most interesting one. Dark Souls is a "better game". Every one after it felt really derivative of the 2 good games, and soul less as a result.
>>
Did you side with Freke or the Monumental, /v/?
>>
>>339559908
>Dark Souls is a "better game"

Only the first half.
>>
>>339539109
It's just a really fucking cool hub, and the linked areas are fun to explore in and of themselves.
>>
bloodbabby here, only all worlds beaten except 5

game is pretty ez, only the Old Hero was a bit of a trouble
>>
Music. One of the things that's rarely brought up but I strongly feel that Demon's Souls did music better than the other games. Which is not to say that the music of the Dark Souls games is bad, but the majority of the tracks are the same style of bombastic, "epic" orchestral pieces with choir chanting. Demon's Souls had a much greater variety. Maiden Astrea, Flamelurker and One Who Craves Souls surpass everything in the Dark Souls series imo.

No comment on Bloodborne because PS3 was the last console I bought.
>>
>>339561346
agree 100%
>>
Haven't played Demons Souls since Dark Souls came out. It's a lot more janky then I thought. I think all you Demons Souls fags need to go back and play it again before shit posting in threads
>>
>>339559450
>h-hes f-fast!!
>>
>>339563215
yeah! i fucking loved the choir chants, thought it added so much to the atmosphere
>>
>>339563215

I've listened to the BB OST, Gehrman's theme is pretty great, the rest is alright.

I think Old Hero's theme is underrated as hell
>>
>>339563560
I replay it every time a new Souls comes out, the only parts that don't hold up are how poorly WT is explained and the dragons.
Thread replies: 185
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.