[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Horror games thread.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 12
File: Silent_Hill_video_game_cover.png (184 KB, 340x340) Image search: [Google]
Silent_Hill_video_game_cover.png
184 KB, 340x340
What do you think is the best horror game of all time?
>>
Resident Evil 2 tbqh
>>
>>339523505

Horrifying.
>>
File: air screamer.png (340 KB, 1600x348) Image search: [Google]
air screamer.png
340 KB, 1600x348
>>339523753
Best monster design of the series. The work they put into this game while being limited by the PS1 hardware is phenomenal.
>>
File: imgsilent hill 21.jpg (105 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
imgsilent hill 21.jpg
105 KB, 800x600
SH2

it's haunting
>>
File: sh1 1080p alt school door.jpg (463 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
sh1 1080p alt school door.jpg
463 KB, 1920x1080
>>339523505
You just posted it.
No game after SH1 has came even close to its sheer perfect balance of both mindfuck and simple terror.

Even compared to its prettier, often more hyped sequels, SH1 has tons of pros over them:

-Largest, most interesting and varied town sections.
-Best pacing out of the whole series; the slow beginning and Apartments in SH2 really grind people's gears.
-Great, varied major locations (School, hospital, sewers...)
-Better enemy and boss variation, all of 'em are fairly dangerous
-Nicely balanced difficulty, both action & puzzles.
-Scary as fuck, full of mindfuck parts as well
-Great visual design, full of small details.
-Awesome soundtrack and audiowork in general.

Yeah, there's always the mention of SH2, but I've always considered it to be far less scary, and notably easier too. It also suffers of kinda too slow beginning, and I don't mean the long walk through woods.
>>
>>339523505
>what is the best ____ of all time?
This question has been asked by retards all throughout history. It will be asked again till the ends of time.

And yet the question will never stop being stupid.
>>
File: vqq.gif (18 KB, 320x224) Image search: [Google]
vqq.gif
18 KB, 320x224
>>339523505
I still think Silent Hill 2 is one of the best experience/game i've ever played

A lot of things may fly past your head the first time through, and just coming back to the game and understanding the world around you feels fantastic

Also, it is one of those games that gives you an ending based ON HOW YOU PLAY THE GAME, your actions as a player and not just a

>Select dialog option A for good ending
>Select dialog option B for bad ending

Not all games should be like this one, i feel like SH2 falls into that category of games you have to experience at least once
>>
>>339524837
SH2 is the most depressing of the series. In fact it's the most depressing game I ever played.
>>
Silent Hill 2 and Resident Evil 3
>>
>>339526372
I understand that it should probably feel like that, but it never made me feel it.

If anything, SH3 felt much more depressing, especially after the half-point.
>>
I was having a lot of fun with Silent Hill then it ended abruptly. Also, I took 'survival horror' too literally and hoarded all my items, just running around everything. Think I had hundreds of ammo once I beat the game.
>>
Resident Evil.

>The gore
>The photorealistic (for the time) and ugly (in a good way) backgrounds
>Those zombies: their bloody mouths and white skin, the nigga zombies and their bloody lab coats, their erratic movements, their groans, those "meaty" footsteps. You really don't want to be toched by them, let alone become one of them.
>Fucking hunters: their steps, the sounds they make and the fact that they can decapitate you

I think the lack of gory deaths is the reason why i like RE over SH.

Also, fuck you all, RE Dual Shock soundtrack it's great, even mansion basement.

And i'm one of the few that feels that REmake lacks something good that the original had, and it didn't fixed some things i disliked.
>>
>>339527615
>Also, fuck you all, RE Dual Shock soundtrack it's great, even mansion basement.
No. Fuckoff.

>And i'm one of the few that feels that REmake lacks something good that the original had
Hopefully the only one, because REmake literally improved everything.
>>
Can someone post a link to how to dl silent hill 2?
>>
File: SH PC Guide - Jan 2016 sml.png (2 MB, 1300x3453) Image search: [Google]
SH PC Guide - Jan 2016 sml.png
2 MB, 1300x3453
>>339527985
Sure thing. Have the SH PC Guide as well:

SH1 NTSC DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!bVUCTJzD!PmnPw4S7fWGyvTjw9S0-RQdk7rRp2BQNuXJqRkZCZvk

SH2 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!rFcj1SIJ!47JH9M4OrzmQKuaiJ6IqUgmgz_SVNtk4LIYNSa-D-_8

SH2 torrent:
https://mega.nz/#!bYcEnbhC!rYnhvcJiRC46T6yExS0Y61JHZ-5N3WxFvfZMI8xbyhE

SH3 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!2JNkgJ7b!nfPf5cIs6I5K-sdAs7RcnHvGA2hAvIGdpQuIoBhF3iE

SH3 torrent:
https://mega.nz/#!GVVGRLpD!SyklVbuLIkc38ZYji5QL3sWHKtHt9-Bto700My8pH7c

SH4 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!Us1XTaII!cglH0dZOaH5yQEm4cnEh3eyUz4bIf6rACQqcVzkb4Hc

Mount the ISOs of 2 & 3, and then run their installers like always.
The SH1 is a PS1 rip that you gotta emulate.
The "sh2proxy" fix works as a no-cd crack as well, and is included in the pack.

In case you experience issues saving the game / not being able to edit the disp.ini, make sure the files aren't set to "Read Only", and run the game as Administrator.
If SH2 gets stuck in a black screen upon launch, close it and re-start it again.
>>
>>339527615
>Also, fuck you all, RE Dual Shock soundtrack it's great, even mansion basement.
Same here.

>And i'm one of the few that feels that REmake lacks something good that the original had, and it didn't fixed some things i disliked.
No actually it does have some issues. Although it also does many things right to that the previous games could have benefited from.
>>
File: Penumbra_Black_plague.jpg (59 KB, 612x395) Image search: [Google]
Penumbra_Black_plague.jpg
59 KB, 612x395
who /penumbra/ here?
>>
In terms of actually BEING horror? Amnesia. I'm dead serious. Frictional makes real horror games instead of just corridor shooters with spooky enemies like RE or Doom 3. If you can effectively defend yourself and kill lots of enemies, your game will struggle to be genuinely frightening.
>>
>>339529476
my nigga
though overture is only scary if you don't use weapons, or at least don't do the old "whack them from the top of a box they can't reach" trick.
>>
>>339529594
Amnesia was just shittier, more casual clone of Penumbra-games, especially Black Plague.

>>339529730
it was plenty spooky to me even then. Never considered my pickaxe as a "weapon" at any point.
>>
File: SOMA.jpg (33 KB, 610x343) Image search: [Google]
SOMA.jpg
33 KB, 610x343
>>339529594
I loved SOMA. Existential dread was a completely different type of fear to explore, but I thought it was well done.
>>
File: I will do you harm.jpg (58 KB, 640x346) Image search: [Google]
I will do you harm.jpg
58 KB, 640x346
I just want to find a way to play Rule of Rose.
>>
>>339529838
it loses a lot of fear when you realize just how weak your enemies actually are. i learned by accident in a tight situation by standing on something and wailing on them while they just paced around. the rest of the game wasn't very frightening at all. it requires you to participate in the narrative to be afraid. black plague on the other hand, you have no such safety net. and then requiem was nothing but a puzzle game since it cut out real enemies entirely.
>>
>>339528526
thanks anonkun
>>
File: The Line has been crossed.jpg (30 KB, 340x363) Image search: [Google]
The Line has been crossed.jpg
30 KB, 340x363
>>339530039
>Used copies on amazon are $170
>>
File: 1429901484575.jpg (39 KB, 730x615) Image search: [Google]
1429901484575.jpg
39 KB, 730x615
Thief 1 is basically a horror game.
>>
File: f0176749_9192531.jpg (49 KB, 414x506) Image search: [Google]
f0176749_9192531.jpg
49 KB, 414x506
Siren 2 for me. It improves on the first game by a great deal while still retaining what made it so great in the first place.
>>
>>339524495
>watching the making of sh2 on yt
>this bathroom was basically the template for the rest of the game
That video was the coolest shit I swear.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.