[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 13
File: xqha2xt668fy9yltvwm8.png (1 MB, 1200x649) Image search: [Google]
xqha2xt668fy9yltvwm8.png
1 MB, 1200x649
What went wrong?
>>
>>339514335
Todd Howard and Pete Hines
>>
File: Capture.jpg (13 KB, 244x116) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
13 KB, 244x116
The story, voiced protagonist, and light RPG elements.
>>
Niche RPG became mainstream.
>>
>>339514335
It was written by one guy and it shows
>>
>>339514335
The "RPG" part of the game is extremely lacking, dialogue choices don't change a whole lot, and certain skills are mandatory (why would you not invest in the crafting skills ever?)

The world itself is amazing, but as is the case with Bethesda games, the content in it is lackluster, too many quests are just "go clear this dungeon"
>>
>>339514453
biggest complaints right here.

Just wish the entire budget for the voice acted protagonist went to the writers. Vocal talent is entirely unnecessary for Fallout to be a success.
>>
File: Tears.gif (110 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
Tears.gif
110 KB, 480x270
>>339514453
Your brain
Why do you do this
The poor thing
>>
Not fun after the fifth crash
>>
>>339514335
voiced protag, poor optimization, really dumb morality/faction choices.
>>
>>339514335
I liked it
>>
nothing it was just another bethesda game of the same quality as the last few
>>
>>339514712
the game can still be fun

not that guy but i got an easy 200 hours in the game by trying different builds/characters

of course it was very hard to roleplay though
>>
best mods?

im torn between using nexus and the ingame mod menu
>>
>>339514335
>no RP allowed in an RPG
>>
File: 1463655860171.jpg (230 KB, 900x948) Image search: [Google]
1463655860171.jpg
230 KB, 900x948
>Random stat weapons/armors instead of unique named variants (just like skyrim)
>Infinite quests! (just like skyrim)
>Legendary every five steps, even on normal difficulty
And worst of all
>Legendary Enemy has Mutated!

That said, it was fine. I got like 50 hours out of it. But I'm sad to say I was over-hyped. Expected too much, I never would have been happy with it.
>>
>>339514679
>Vocal talent is entirely unnecessary for Fallout to be a success.
Except that's wrong. Today's gamers like me enjoy and expect the protagonists to be voiced. I don't want to read every fucking line of dialogue, that's boring as fuck and no one has time for it.
>>
>>339514453
Don't tell me you actually payed for it
>>
>>339514335
It's a good game, but not a good fallout title.
>>
poor design choices gimping the rest of the content unfairly and a seemingly brand new dev team for some reason
>>
>voiced protag makes it hard to roleplay

It's ok when Witcher 3 does it.
>>
>>339514974
Ah, my fellow patrician. I, too, really much prefer a voice-over for
>But-
>In the-
>Help-
>For the-
Quest Complete +50 Exp
>>
>>339514906
Use nmm it's way better than anthing beth can dream up.

sex mods when
>>
>>339514974
Jeezuz chroist
ITS AN RPG
YOU ARE THE VOICE
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>>
>>339515337
is it?
also, any way to install the game fresh without downloading it again?
>>
I agree with what most people are saying about the rpg elements, va, and writing/dialogue wheel being shit. Another problem is that they built a big world and put nothing into it besides raiders and mutants.
>>
>>339515375
>>339515314
NMM is top tier
>>
>>339514335

Nothing. The world doesn't revolve around you.
>>
>>339515245
In W3 you're playing the role of Geralt, and how you play that role defines the game, but there are still certain strictures. F4 is a freer, less defined role, or should be, devoid of the guidelines for characters that W3 has.
Suck it mememaster. You're not funny.
>>
>>339514335
They let Emil Pagliarulo out of his cage again instead of hiring a competent writer.
>>
It's another post-Morrowind Bethesda game. That is all you will ever be getting from them until the end of time.
>>
>>339515245
In the Witcher you are Geralt, a predefined character. You are roleplaying Geralt in his story.

In Fallout you are supposed to be able to be whomever you want to be.
>>
>>339515375
Don't get me wrong mods will fix alot but at it's core the game is still bland and boring.
>>
>>339515840
is it though?
>>
4 dialog options which barely do anything
No choices with any impact
Voiced protagonist
Little to no roleplay value
Little to no replay value
They took a really stupid quest in FO3 and made an entire game about it (synths) which doesn't even really feel fitting in the gameworld
Lots of lore-breaking shit
Small amount of weapons that all feel samey and boring
World isn't any fun to explore
Power Armor is found/given way too early and easily, makes the game a joke because batteries are easy as hell to obtain.

Am I missing anything?
>>
>>339515245
>it's ok when gothic does it
Predefined characters. The Nameless Hero is always a male
>>
File: EVERYTHING IS LOSS.png (19 KB, 490x340) Image search: [Google]
EVERYTHING IS LOSS.png
19 KB, 490x340
>>339515894
Voiced protagonist, one more time, so we can fully grasp that that thing happened
>>
File: 1459353403703.jpg (64 KB, 450x577) Image search: [Google]
1459353403703.jpg
64 KB, 450x577
>Fallout 4
>What went wrong?
They put someone who doesn't like Fallout OR RPG's in charge of it. No really, this is what happened. He's also a genuine moron. This man somehow got into a big name company and was put in charge of something important.
>>
where did the institute obtain FEV
>>
File: 1459354007195.png (2 MB, 1242x2943) Image search: [Google]
1459354007195.png
2 MB, 1242x2943
>>339516406
>>
>>339516406
i want to stomp his smug fucking face in. he looks jewish to boot.
>>
>>339515345
Screaming man is right. YOU are supposed to be the main character, not the asshole voicing it
>>
>>339516406
>>339516510
I thought hines was just the community manager
>>
every quest involves going to some dungeon and killing everything
>>
>>339516510
What an ignorant cunt-tard
>>
Why are Ghouls slightly remodeled Draugr instead of being fucking hideous with cracked skin and exposed flesh

And who supplies all the wigs for the Ghouls in FO4
>>
I mean, game play wise I had fun, but the story was a let down and a voiced protagonist was dumb. I absolutely hated the set back story for your character, same to a lesser sextet with fallout 3. In games like this I like to think up and act out a backstory/personality, not be railroaded into "Your son/dad is gone"
>>
File: FMV_Caim.jpg (11 KB, 640x352) Image search: [Google]
FMV_Caim.jpg
11 KB, 640x352
>>339514335
I hate the streamlining but what I enjoyed the most is that I can be the ultimate murderhobo in games like this. I can kill literally anything and anyone.

I always create a character in the image of pic related when I can.
>>
>>339516406
The funny part is this is the only mechanic I liked in Fallout 4. But for the opposite reasons of why it was implemented. Instead of having to wait for some quest asshole to finish his speech I could just pull out my gun and shoot him instead of being locked in by video game mechanics that remind me I'm playing a game. It also m eant if I'm in a mission where I'm in a hurry I don't have to sit and humor a random homeless person begging me for change, I can just keep running after the guy I'm after.
>>
>>339514679
>Just wish the entire budget for the voice acted protagonist went to the writers
like Skyrim? :^)
>>
>>339514335
anon even if i had two weeks i couldn't explain everything that went wrong here
>>
>>339514335
No lewd mods yet
>>
Is it worth 13 of the Queens English pounds?
>>
>>339517185
>Instead of having to wait for some quest asshole to finish his speech I could just pull out my gun and shoot him
this would make sense if every character wasn't essential
>>
>>339517170
>Murderhobo in a Bethesda game past Morrowind

So do you disable all the essential tags or something
>>
>>339517364
I am adjusting the bodyslider right now, nigger.
>>
>>339517307
>to the 3 VAs
FTFY
>>
>>339517437
>thinking body mods are sex mods
>>
>>339514335
750 mil says not a damn thing.
/v/'s impotent rage is just icing on the cake.

INB4 look at the totally legit metacritic user score.
>>
>>339517437
Not lewd enough
>>
>>339514335

bethesda
>>
Nothing you couldn't easily see coming. It blows my mind that people other than Bethesdrones bought this pile of shit.
>>
>''FREE ROAM GAME NO LINEARITY NO BORDERS NO LIMITS YOU ARE FREE''

>shoot person in face with shotgun
>they kneel down panting
>get up and continue conversation

Yeah. Fuck this shit.
>>
Everything.

Basically, literally, everything.
>>
>>339517384
I guess it depends on how much she weighs
>>
>>339516406
>>339516512
He's trying to look like Vault Boy.

Which is fucking dumb since he never had that :D and fat head design in the original games.
>>
>>339517869
>He's trying to look like Vault Boy.
Only in his own mind does this make sense. To all other people, he is just smirking like the retard he is.
>>
>>339516406
What the fuck is wrong with his face? His mouth muscles look retarded.
>>
>>339514516
>FO4
>RPG
>>
File: 1411588490413.gif (324 KB, 181x200) Image search: [Google]
1411588490413.gif
324 KB, 181x200
>>339517418
I just get in the game and kill everyone I can. But the real flavor comes from killing a character that still keeps the game storyline canon.
>>
Hollow shooter with boring stories, most quests involve taking something somewhere and shooting people.
Voiced protag means that there's only 4 conversation options, those being
>Yes
>hahaha xD ayy lmao
>Tell me more
>Fuck off
Boring, overpriced DLC
>>
>>339518038
He is retarded.
>>
>technically more of an action game with RPG elements than an RPG
>the fuckawful UI and vault boy layover animations
>shitty weapons
>plot holes out the ass; vice president of development company has a blatant disregard for canon or for that matter consistency
>pants-on-head retarded base-building gimmick that does not fit within the game universe at all (melt down a few guns and pipes, use it to create a fort and automatic weaponry in as little as one in-game day)
>garbage optimization that strains even high-end PCs
>shitty characters and story
>only two endings
>obnoxiously gay characters for no reason other than exposure

and the best part

>3 cut-content DLC packs released, totaling $40 in price so far, and the game has barely been released for half a year
>>
>>339518038
Modeled by Bethesda
>>
File: 1442100479246.png (6 KB, 234x210) Image search: [Google]
1442100479246.png
6 KB, 234x210
>>339514335
>IT JUST WORKS
>shitty Geometry
>no skills only skyrim tier perks
>shity balance in which a fucking .50 caliber rifle doesn't kill most humans with one round
>uniques are dead instead we get a RNG Legendary enemies and weapons none of which are creative
>four dialogue choices because todd that its a good idea to have a voice PC
>the institute has no redeeming qualities and everyone except the minuteman fucking hates them, the only reason the minutemen don't hate them is because the couldn't be fucked to do anything else besides struggle to be shit organized militia with no common enemy
>power armor needs fucking small nuclear reactors to be powered for about twelve minutes without perks or repair bobblehead
>kellog is over a hundred years old
>>339516406
>all companion perks except prestons and Danse are fucking worthless
i could go on but the game as a whole suffers from wide as an ocean deep as a puddle problem with most sandbox games
>>
>>339518151
Where does he say that?
>>
Building settlements was fun but my save got fucked up, steam cloud didn't have it and i don't want to play from scratch.
>>
>>339518376
>i don't want to play from scratch.
you could just use cheats to speed up the building process
>>
>>339514335
>3 base armor sets
>mutant, ghoul, raider repeat
>Caps have no use
>Very few uniques
>Story is shit
>Settlements are clunky and have little value
>Rad storms are unfinished
>Lol ur son is big bad all along lets also call him father, 10/10 ign
>>
>>339514974
>that's boring as fuck and no one has time for it
But readind a line is faster than hear the voice acting
>>
>>339514974
>Today's gamers like me
Not everybody is like you,
not everybody is a huge faggot who can't read for more than three seconds before his brain hurts.
>>
>>339518291
The basebuilding shit is extremely disconnected from the setting when you consider the complete lack of any civilization on the east coast.

Everyone is fucking helpless for 200 years until some ubermensch shows up and whips up generators and water purifiers out of scraps.
>>
>>339515684
Morrowind was lame outside the book lore and non-Tolkien setting desu.
>>
>>339514974
Well, today's gamers are a cancer.
>>
>>339518689
If you are a fan of lore dumps may I suggest Obsidians PoE.
They have what you are looking for.
If you are a fan of retro combat then you are in for a real treat.
>>
>>339518835
That put me off, too. You being able to stomp an entire settlement with clean water, electricity and food in less than a day's work compared to the still completely uninhabitable towns 200 years after the fact.
>>
>>339519083
*stomp [...] out of the ground
>>
>>339518689
Not that anon but I never liked reading through fallouts lines of texts, I just preferred the free roam RPG and making up my own stories.

So long as the dialogue is skippable I dont mind.
>>
>>339519083

I'm okay with that. In all Bethesda RPGs you're the most competent person in the universe, if not a literal God.
>>
>>339514974
>npc says something to me and i have a choice of dialogue options for responding
>read the dialogue options and pick the one i want
>character THEN says the line that i already read
its one thing to argue about voiced npc's but if you are saying you're too lazy to read for you own character's dialogue then how do you make dialogue choices at all?
>>
>>339519060
Except it's not like a lore dump. There ARE a few moments in F03 and NV where you talk for a little bit longer than usual, but unless you have legitimate ADHD, you shouldn't have problems with choosing dialogue, reading out the lines.
It wouldn't surprise me if you were the literal embodiment of Strong.
>>
>want to kill/disagree with an NPC
>only allowed to say yes and sarcastic yes
>>
>>339519808
Just pull out your gun/walk away bro xD

>>339515894
- Everything feels more like a rollercoaster than it ever has. Everything in the game happens only because you exist. No conflicts or situations seem to be developing prior to your character's existence beyond some faction exposition.
- Once again just like in FO3, humanity apparently is incapable of building at all. Everyone lives in fucking tin shacks. No farming/agriculture, fucking nothing.
- A fair amount of nice features NV had (special ammo) nonexistent.
>>
>>339517185
except this shit isn't even correctly implemented, a lot of the times the dialogue just cuts off for no reason while your in the middle of a conversation, fucking shitty bethesda quality right there.
>>
for me it was realizing that every safe had the same contents

its when I knew they had rushed it out, instead of finishing their vegetables, so to speak
>>
>>339514516
>Snowflakes in denial about being knee-deep in pop culture since birth UNIRONICALLY consider Fallout 1+2 to be niche
>>
You know what the ultimate problem is?
New Vegas exists.
They took FO3's awful engine and built a solid game (if not buggy as fuck at launch) out of it that added a lot of good features that were missing and desired in FO3.
Almost all of which aren't in FO4 because Bethesda isn't responsible for NV's features.

Would we even complain if NV hadn't existed?
>>
>>339521568
yeah, its even worse than 3 somehow
>>
>They spent most of the time praising and highlighting their, "advanced and complex weapon modification system,"
>surely Todd can't have lied about that since they made such a big deal out of it right?
>game comes out
>It's a linear upgrade system where there is an obvious best choice for most of the weapons, such as the quick release large mag
>They used it as an excuse for the atrocious weapon variety (the plasma pistol is just the plasma rifle without a stock, no pump action shotguns, no sniper rifles just the hunting rifle, unique weapons barely look any different from normal version)
>Barely any of the reviews mention this and just stick it with a 8-9/10
>>
>>339521902
the community clearly hated the game. how did all reviewers end up liking it?
>>
>>339522019
because internet culture is a hivemind and its a normalfag meme that youre not a "real gamer" if you hate on bethesda games

so reviewers are scared to admit that fallout 3 and 4 are bad for fear of being labeled "le cod fansxDDD" or whatever. which is why drones that just spout what real nerds want to hear like angry joe are so "respected" in the community
>>
It tries to be a shooter, sandbox, survival game, and RPG and half asses all of them. It feels like they only put in the bare minimum of effort to finish anything in this game.

Just compare it to NV, with its better dialogue, branching questlines, skill checks, etc. and even that was an unfinished game. It's pretty sad.
>>
File: 1418328164508.png (2 MB, 1001x1614) Image search: [Google]
1418328164508.png
2 MB, 1001x1614
I don't know.
I knew this game wasn't gonna be good so I lowered my expectations but I still felt disappointed.

Is Automatron any good?
I have no interest in Far Harbor since it's more of the same. At least I can pass by time building a robot.
>>
>>339517659
Fool me 4 times since Oblivion and I keep buying them. Someone take my credit card away.
>>
>>339522404
>buying dlc for a game that didnt try
>buying dlc where the developer didnt try in making the dlc
>buying dlc for a game you claim to be disappointed in

fucking corporate bootlickers that are the reason bethesda got away with fallout 4
>>
The main quest isn't actually too bad.

The quests in the wider commonwealth though, are generally poor and uninteresting.
>>
>Start game
>Try to make vault tech guy go away.
>Wife forced me to talk to him anyway

Bravo Todd!
>>
>>339522524
How am I bootlicking?

I was an alright game, by no means good.
I was just disappointed is all.
>>
File: S7IuNsK.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
S7IuNsK.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1440
>>339514335

Bethesda couldn't pick a direction to go in:

1. the player's entire backstory is totally ignored, except for the main quest. No sidequests about it either
2. the initial setup of "postwar America" via the intro, Sanctuary Hills, Concord and Lexington is blown away by the time you get to inner Boston. No lore about it at all, despite there being a fucking museum. Even the TV thing that plays at the very start of the game is half-assed
3. the companion system is not fleshed out at all and not nearly as good as New Vegas's. They're all totally disposable and don't have much in the way of quests (or interesting rewards for completing them)
4. the "legendary" RNG item system is total garbage because the entire world isn't RNG based. Thus there's no reward for scouting anything since you're just going to get the same items every time
5, the faction system (MM, BoS, CIT, RR) is a joke since they almost never interact with each other in the game world (unlike FNV)
6. the settlement system doesn't offer nearly enough options, and doesn't allow the player to make interior spaces (or entirely new worldspaces)
7. obviously as an RPG it totally fails since there are no skills
8. as an open world game, there's not enough interesting stuff or cities to visit. This is despite having perfectly good cities (Concord, Lexington, Quincy) filled with generic raiders for some reason. And the player can't interact with the special Norwegian sailors, at all as they're raiders.

Fo4 tries to be everything but isn't able to commit. It's not a bad game, just painfully mediocre. Bethesda should have picked an angle (open world action adventure like Skyrim, companion stories like Mass Effect, RPG like FNV, resource/settlement game like Minecraft or Ceasar 3) but didn't.

Which is upsetting because the game looks at least passable now, and downtown Boston was fun to explore. But there's just nothing to do, houses are filled with generic enemies with generic weapons.
>>
>>339522302
>>339523679

/thread
>>
>>339522404
God no. It adds a frustratingly annoying robot companion, a pointless "robot workshop" for your settlements, and a boring af story.

That being said, I think far harbor is fun. Certainly more story content than automaton, though I guess that isn't saying much.
>>
Better question: how would you make Fallout 4 good?

I'd dump all the exposition and have the PC just start in front of a locked vault 111. Concord, Lexington, Quincy, and Sanctuary Hills would all be interior space'd cities (ala Diamond City). The main quest would remain the same except with 100 science (or equivalent) the PC could make his own signal interceptor, and they'd want to get inside to stop synth attacks. Inside everything would be the same except "father" wouldn't have any relation to the player and would just be a generic questgiver. The game would end with the player having to go into the Sentinel Site and picking a faction to nuke.

Also a skills system and a larger glowing sea.

>inb4 autist
>>
>>339514335
Nothing, you babies
>>
File: 1459098273988.png (20 KB, 626x262) Image search: [Google]
1459098273988.png
20 KB, 626x262
>>339514335
The wrong company bought it.
Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.