[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>makes jokes how Doom is dark >turns back and has a darker
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: logo-prey[1].png (123 KB, 293x198) Image search: [Google]
logo-prey[1].png
123 KB, 293x198
>makes jokes how Doom is dark
>turns back and has a darker than Doom level later in the game, literally pitch black

Why is this allowed?
>>
What are the chances we'll see arkane's Prey 2 this year at E3?
>>
>>339511717
Zero.
The Zenimax jews are a spiteful bunch.
>>
>>339511717
15%.
>>
Did portals before portal

Love it
>>
File: browse_0037.png (49 KB, 746x244) Image search: [Google]
browse_0037.png
49 KB, 746x244
>>339511717
>>
>tfw bought a boxed copy at a thrift store for two bucks
>code redeemed on steam successfully

I wasn't even mad that Disc 1 was missing
>>
>>339511956
What ended up in the game was supposed to be more impressive when the concept started. 3d realms wanted to do "portal gun" back in '97-'98 and had the technology at that point done:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L29DSSQT3Ek

The showcase does raise eyebrows at what had taken this long and where did some of the concepts get lost.

Is there any comprehensive post mortem about this game?

I haven't yet finished it myself, currently climbing the tower but I like how the game has a great sense of scale. Going from tight linear corridors to open space feels amazing as huge architecture is revealed. It really catches breath.
I think Prey is a good substitute for DNF. DNF lacked everything that made Prey great.
>>
>>339511629
Because it's a terrible game.
>>
>>339512846
Prey had a really troubled development. Like, Duke Nukem Forever tier, only not as terrible.
>>
>>339513191
Prey wasn't being "worked on" since the 90's though. It got shitcanned in the late 90's and then someone decided to bring it back using the Doom 3 engine several years later.

The final product ended up being a solid game and not a trainwreck that would have been outdated in 2006 like DNF
>>
>>339513431
DNF wouldn't have been outdated had it came out in 2006.
Problem is it came out 5 years later.
>>
>>339513608
DNF problem isn't being outdated, its problem is being really bad.
>>
Prey is fantastic.
Some very nice set pieces, cool monster designs, the wacky physics fuckery, exploring a bizarre alien vessel...
All fantastic.

The respawning system made the game hilariously easy, but even so it was a good deal of fun.

As far as linear corridor shooters go, it's top notch.
Better than Doom 3 and DNF
>>
>>339511629
Prey is an amazingly overlooked fps adventure.
>>
>>339513808
>cool monster designs
The monster designs are mostly really generic/bad, though. I wouldn't even put it above Doom 3, and I thought Doom 3 was mediocre. Hell, DNF had much better monster designs... and worse pretty much everything else, holy crap, how do you even fuck up so badly.
>>
>>339512846
Interceptor/3D Realms still have the early versions of Prey still on hand. Unfortunately, they can't release anything about it due to Bethesda owning the series and being turd nuggets.
>>
>>339513990
It's not like Bethesda owns the source code. Or is this one of those twisted deals where all content goes away?
>>
>>339512478
That's lucky, game is pretty rare these days.
>>
>>339513673
I played it, it really ain't. The main problem is the 2 weapons limit and shitty graphics, that's about it. The gameplay was enjoyable, level design was Duke-tier and it had a lot of those cool interactive shit to find.
Also the Doctor Who Cloned Me DLC was MUCH, MUCH better than the base game.
>>
>>339514197
They own the IP, so they get the final say in what can and cannot be released even for things made prior to their acquisition. They tried contacting Zenimax to strike a deal to get the betas released but it's been a no go.
>>
>>339514426
How about regenerating HP? The pointless "puzzles"? And not just graphics are bad, art is bad, the game has a few neat looking places, but it's just so grey and drab, and it doesn't even look stylistic, like in Queers of War, it just looks poorly done.

The shotgun was good. Enemies were good, actually, I enjoyed the teleporting behind you commandos, octobrains grabbing your rockets and throwing them back at you. Cool stuff, but not enough to save the game IMO.
>>
>>339514676
>How about regenerating HP?
That along with 2 weapons limit was change introduced by Gearbox, because they wanted the CoD audience.
3D Realms even said that they had no health regen and no weapon limit when they handed it to Gearbox.
>>
>>339511717
If I get dubs it'll happen
>>
>>339516830
>dubs on /v/
>>
>>339511629

Fuck you dad I'm an atheist... that silly indian myth crap is dumb as fuck

whilst wondering through a dream world where he can cheat death and has a spirit hawk and magic bow
>>
>>339517171
The writing of Prey was so bad it actually warped around back to being good.
>that awkward bar brawl in the beginning
>aliens invading dreamworld on alien dropships
>killing ghost children
>that ending tweest
>I AM A CHEROKEE WARRIAH
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.