[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I wanted to like this game /v/ But the Item balance in it is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 8
File: 6.png (592 KB, 788x352) Image search: [Google]
6.png
592 KB, 788x352
I wanted to like this game /v/

But the Item balance in it is just the worst in the series
>>
So, which Mario Kart is your favorite?
>>
>>339495469
Double dash
>>
Nah it actually takes skill to get to first unlike Wii and 7.
>>
>>339494892
no you're just really bad at the game
>>
>>339494892

>But the Item balance in it is just the worst in the series

You didnt play Mario Kart Wii it seems

8 was the best Mario Kart created by Nintendo imo.
Best graphics, most content, best music, best courses, biggest rouster, no shitty Ai that fucks you in the ass like Wii or 7 and best online

8 fixed everything people hated about 7 or Wii
>>
File: y.gif (925 KB, 212x176) Image search: [Google]
y.gif
925 KB, 212x176
>tfw you like MKDS the best but stating this opinion anywhere near neo-Nintendrones just ends up with you getting called a nostalgiafag, or an autist for liking snaking and item balance
feels bad, man
>>
>>339497056
>Most content
They don't even have a proper battle mode
>>
>>339497117

I also liked DS best because mission mode was actually neat.
>>
>>339496909
>Takes skill to get first unlike Wii and 7
>Gets coin in first
>Hit by one red shell
>Now last place getting green shells
>>
File: twaaat.jpg (92 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
twaaat.jpg
92 KB, 960x960
>>339494892
>But the Item balance

When the FUCK was Mario ever balanced? You're just talking out of your ass to sound like a pretentious intellectual faggot.
>>
>>339497720
I honestly like the way it is in 8. So many hiding spots
>>
>>339494892
>t. Steam Reviewer
>>
>>339497893
Mission mode was the tits, plus in my opinion it had the best battle mode maps, and the best returning tracks from older games. Snaking was just a bonus
>>
Wii had the worst item balance by a country mile.

The default in MK8 isn't the best, but "Frantic" is great. Online multiplayer is too much of a clusterfuck for my sense of humor, so when I play MK8 I play VS 200cc against Hard AI with Frantic items, and it's the best experience I've ever had with the series.

>>339497056
I would add best physics to your list. As a hardcore racing game guy, this is the first MK I could really get into in terms of the handling (and 200cc makes it even more of an accomplished racing game).

The handling in every other MK game is too wobbly/floaty.
>>
>>339494892

>item balance worst

Is this just the meme people use when they want to shitpost about the newest mario kart?

Mk8 is so much better with the items. The blue shell is much rarer because it doesn't need to come up as much, because the person in 1st can't daisy chain an item behind them and one in their inventory forever.
>>
>>339498609
The biggest problem with the balance in Wii was the blue shell was too often, whoever is in first after the first item spam in 8 wins the race.
>>
>>339497962
>>Hit by one red shell
>>Now last place getting green shells

Maybe if your build is garbage.
>>
>>339497117
But snaking ruined the fucking game and turned online into races full of autists doing nothing but sliding around.

The item balance was pretty good though, I'll give you that.

Double Dash is my favorite, by the way. MK7 is a close second. MKDS, despite the snaking bullshit, was still a really great entry.
>>
>>339499505
The item balance in 8 is ridiculous, if you fall in last you get green shells and coins but get a bullet bill and crazy 8 in fourth, Wii had pretty shitty balance but Wii's balance is so much fucking better than 8
>>
>>339499505
>But snaking turned online into races full of autists doing nothing but sliding around
I liked that. I mean, it kind of killed the character choices because everybody and their kid sister was just choosing the best Yoshi and Dry Bones cars to snake with, but it felt like you actually had to learn a skill (an admittedly easy one) to consistently rank above fourth. Plus it was still easy to fuck up, which would set you back a few places, and it came with a few perks beyond just swivelling like retards (like a consistent way to avoid getting rekt by Blue Shells).

I dunno, I guess the combination of that, the first Mario Kart online experience, and a whole bunch of stellar track choices made it feel more like F-Zero and Crash Team Racing rather than just another luck based kart game.

Double Dash was the tits too, though. Loved that game, it'd probably be top of my list if they actually balanced the team items you could get (my memory is fuzzy but I swear the kids fucking slayed it every time because of the Chain Chomp)
>>
Can somebody please explain the Mario Kart DS > 7 meme?
>>
>>339497056
If it had battle arenas then it would be everything I could ask for.
I just don't understand why they would make such a bizarre decision to scrap them
>>
>>339500394
You literally cannot have ever played Wii and hold that opinion. It was beyond awful.
>>
>>339500616
It's balance was still better than 8's
>>
I enjoyed MKW but when you're the only Toadette in a lobby full of Funky Kongs, you stop playing for fun and more to spite the other racers. MK8 at least fixes this.
>>
>>339500961
Enjoy your delusion. Maybe you need to git gud.
>>
>>339500527
>If I disagree with it or dont understand it, it's a meme
nice

Serious response, as a MKDS fan I just enjoyed the track choices better and I preferred the map choices in the battle mode. I felt like the randomized items were better balanced than many of the other games (albeit only minutely), I liked the mission mode as a distraction on the side, and I thought the custom emblem designer was cool. I'm also apparently one of the (very few apparently) people who like snaking.

That's pretty much it. I'm not gonna sit here and argue over which one is """"better"""", but those are the reasons why certain people like DS over 7.
>>
>>339500415
>it'd probably be top of my list if they actually balanced the team items you could get
Yea I agree. I love the concept of having team mates on a kart...but the item balance for character items sucked pretty hard.

I used to play as the Red Paratroppa and Diddy in the barrel train. Diddy's big ass bananas were great defensively, and Red Paratroppa's triple red shells wrecked shit on the offensive side.
>>
no, that's wii, which also had the worst tracks
>>
>>339501212
>git gud
I win in first in MK8 alot, although its not fun to rely way to heavily on getting lucky items whenever I'm not in first
>>
>>339494892
Except the 8 power up never does shit.
On top of that they let lead players actually be able to defend themselves from blue shells with occasional mushrooms and horns.
>>
>roommate and I buy this game
>hype as fuck, both love Mario Kart
>game looks really good, anti-grav mechanic seems fun
>start playing
>we're in the lead
>blue shell
>red shell
>green shell
>bullet bill
>lightning bolt
>starman
>every FUCKING race
>don't even fuck with the new difficulty when it comes out
Sigh.
>>
>>339500527
Snaking.
That's all.
>>
>>339500527
Snaking and better roster.
>>
>>339501530
12 man races really killed mario kart
>>
I'd probably like 8 better than wii if 8 have a good battle mode and you couldn't get any item in any place.
>>
I can't take anybody who thinks DS is the best, yeah it's pretty good but playing a racing game with a D-pad is fucking atrocius
>>
>>339501773
I'm surprised they didn't make a DLC pack of battle maps.
>>
>>339501906
Item balance aside, battle mode online in wii was pretty good

They limit you to ten fucking points in 7
>>
>>339501887
Not true at all. If you snaked the lites dpad was perfect.
>>
>>339502165
>If you snaked
I did not know of snaking until this thread
>Cheating in a fucking kart game
Holy shit kill yourself

Where's my fucking joystick
>>
>>339502285
>>Cheating
>>
>>339502389
>Look up snaking for MKDS
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns2OSG92jUQ

My mistake, when you said snaking I was thinking of F-zero GX snaking which is no skill and cheap as fuck

I still wish I had a joystick though
>>
>>339502805
Keep in mind too snaking existed since kart 64
>>
>>339502981
Repeated drifts over and over really does not sound like "snaking" though, should be called chain drifting
>>
I can't believe anyone would defend 8's item balance, its completely random, luck heavy games are what's killing the Mario franchise
>>
>>339502805
Fuck, I don't have small enough hands for this, but that's also why I skip handheld games.

>>339503559
It really isn't random. You obviously get items based on your position and/or distance from the leader. They tried, but Frantic is better.
>>
>>339504485
The online in 8 is horrible
>>
>>339497117
I do agree DS is the best, but not in the fucking online terms.

>only 3 can play
>snaking
>terrible connections all the time
>>
File: My man.gif (874 KB, 273x415) Image search: [Google]
My man.gif
874 KB, 273x415
>>339495590
>>
File: MKDS-Dry_Bones.png (286 KB, 800x487) Image search: [Google]
MKDS-Dry_Bones.png
286 KB, 800x487
>no playable Dry Bones in MK8
ITS NOT FUCKING FAIR
>>
>>339501887
>but playing a racing game with a D-pad is fucking atrocius

Kill yourself now. SNES mario kars best mario kart. Played with a dpad.
>>
>>339506098
I never owned an SNES until years later and it wasn't to play mario kart

>It's the best
I've heard nobody on /v/ say that on my 6 years on this site
>>
>>339497117
>Can't be competitive without constantly snaking like an autist doped up on meth 24/7
>Best anything

Fuck no.
>>
>>339506351
>I've heard nobody on /v/ say that on my 6 years on this site

That's because /v/ is mostly filled with underage faggots who haven't played it.
>>
>>339500394
>The item balance in 8 is ridiculous, if you fall in last you get green shells and coins but get a bullet bill and crazy 8 in fourth

If you're ever in last and it's NOT frantic mode, it's not item balance that's the problem, it's you. You're garbage at Mario Kart. Sorry.
>>
>>339506390
>Can't be competitive without constantly snaking like an autist doped up on meth 24/7
git

fuckin

gud
>>
>>339507076
Item balance is a problem when I can't catch up because of shitty game design.
>>
File: newmanlaugh.gif (499 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
newmanlaugh.gif
499 KB, 500x375
>>339506390
>competitive kart racing
what?
>>
>>339507175
I did.

But the meta was retarded and stagnant because of it.

It's like wavedashing, except necessary on every level with every character. Cancer as fuck.
>>
File: 1437964344868.jpg (686 KB, 800x1019) Image search: [Google]
1437964344868.jpg
686 KB, 800x1019
>>339507301
>Karting
>Not serious business
Fuck off newman.
>>
Who do you main, /v/?
Pink Gold Peach reporting in.
>>
8 has the worst roster of the entire series and an abortion of a battle mode

Despite this it still manages to be the best one. The controls are absolutely perfect, the coins actually matter, the track design is the best and the anti grav mechanic is somehow a meaningful innovation
>>
>>339501530
There are two items to counterplay the blue shell.
Every item has counterplay and the courses and ai give you plenty of opportunities to catch up
get good
>>
File: Rosalina.jpg (36 KB, 398x400) Image search: [Google]
Rosalina.jpg
36 KB, 398x400
>>339508009
The best character
>>
>>339508009
Usually yoshi or shy guy with varying colors, other than that link
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.