[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the appeal of Brutal Doom? Vanilla Doom was self
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 7
File: Brutal-Doom-Preview.jpg (286 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Brutal-Doom-Preview.jpg
286 KB, 1920x1080
What's the appeal of Brutal Doom? Vanilla Doom was self aware, same with Doom 2016. This just seems edgy.
>>
Calling brutal doom edgy is like the most predictable crowd-following things
>>
>>339490683
because it's fun
>>
>>339491084
Yeah, I guess. Hear me out though. Doom was fairly violent as is. It seems like there was obscene amounts of gore added for the sake of looking hardcore as opposed to anything else. That's more or less the point of the mod it seems.
>>339491226
I like the weapon kick especially with the audio. Particle effects look nice too.
>>
>>339491429
>Yeah, I guess. Hear me out though. Doom was fairly violent as is. It seems like there was obscene amounts of gore added for the sake of looking hardcore as opposed to anything else. That's more or less the point of the mod it seems.

I'm really glad you figured it out. It's a gory doom mod.

Nobody forces you to play the fucking thing, so why do you dicks always go looking for approval with "Hey guise, don't you think brutal doom is really edgy?"

I mean don't you think that's the kind of thing a complete tool would do?
>>
>>339491578
>Nobody forces you to play the fucking thing
But everyone forces me to hear about it.
>>
>>339491578
I was trying to justify the use of the word edgy. Buzzwords are spammed here with know meaning.

Anyway, the point of the thread is to see why people like it. I don't enjoy disliking shit and I'm not trying to be a contrarian. Seeing another person's viewpoint on the mod might let me gain some appreciation for it.
>>
File: DoomMarine.png (743 KB, 600x473) Image search: [Google]
DoomMarine.png
743 KB, 600x473
>>339490683
It's goofy, gory fun that adds a new layer to Doom by being notably faster than the original two. I'm not too crazy about the reloading, however.

Also, anything that quotes the Doom comic can't actually be "edgy".
>>
I don't mind BD at all. Sure, its community consists of retards who consider it to be a straight upgrade and developer is a dickhead but it's a really good brutality hurr mod, and sometimes you just need to unwind. It's excessive but that's the whole point of it.

Fatality animations are fucking shit, though, and serve zero purpose from gameplay perspective.
>>
>>339491939
Doom 2016 does the death animations pretty well comparative. Their pretty short and swift unlike the ones in Brutal Doom. Shame the trailers made it look like the opposite.
>>
>>339490683
it is edgy as fuck, and that attracts teens.
it also introduces tons of modern shit (ADS, reloading, quick-grenade & melee...), thus attracting more CoD kids.

Finally, people who literally know jack shit about anything are literally RECOMMENDING Brutal Doom for first timers, like it would be some sort of "HD patch". And these people gladly follow these hints.
>>
>>339492071
D44M however makes them an obligatory part of the gameplay. Especially when combined with the fucking stupid "combat arena" lockdown rooms they repeat over and over again.
>>
>>339491812
>Anyway, the point of the thread is to see why people like it

i'm not him, but i love brutal doom. not for the gore (though i enjoy that too) but for the changes in gameplay and especially sounds

all of the weapon's sounds are super meaty and they are extremely satisfiying to shoot. also the dual wield options for assault rifle and plasma rifle are fun as fuck, though i think, that the dual plasma rifle is almost a bit too strong.

>>339491939
>Fatality animations ... serve zero purpose from gameplay perspective
they do, though. you gain health from doing them. they are a neat little flashy, totally optional feature
>>
>>339493435
Can't you turn them off though?
>>339493502
Yeah, man. Like I said, the audio is pretty great.
>>
>>339493653
>Can't you turn them off though?
No.
Jesus christ, the game has been out for two weeks, and people STILL don't know this?

NO, you CANNOT disable Glory Kills. They are an ESSENTIAL part of the D4's gameplay, as in good fucking luck trying to survive without popping those enemy-Pinatas.

You can ONLY disable the blue & orange glow that signals the enemies are ready for GK. It won't take the effect away.
>>
File: Doom knight.png (28 KB, 309x266) Image search: [Google]
Doom knight.png
28 KB, 309x266
>>339491875
Post em!
>>
File: BACK OF THE KNEE MAYBE.png (523 KB, 615x909) Image search: [Google]
BACK OF THE KNEE MAYBE.png
523 KB, 615x909
>>339493980
>>
File: Doom Paladin.png (27 KB, 343x263) Image search: [Google]
Doom Paladin.png
27 KB, 343x263
>>339494109
>>
>>339494109
>back of the knee
Fugg, got the original comic?
>>
File: 1366948393783.png (93 KB, 600x2300) Image search: [Google]
1366948393783.png
93 KB, 600x2300
>>339494282
Of course I have.
>>
File: image.jpg (492 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
492 KB, 800x800
>>339490683
I have a much older version of brutal doom 2 which basically just reskins the game and adds in like 4 new weapons
The mancubus flame launcher
The revenats fireball launcher
Some faster BFG
And a rail gun

Aside from a few aesthetic enhancements and additions like the weapons. Brutal doom feels just like the original did back all those years ago.

But I don't see why people rag on brutal doom.
To be honest it adds a little extra to the game. Like steak sauce on a steak

Sure some might say that "you're ruining a perfectly good steak" but too me it just puts a little extra flavor to it. Not that it wouldn't be bad without it but it's just it gives it a little more flavor.

It feels good to fire your weapons. They make better noises, the screen shakes, feels like you're tearing through the hundreds of rounds that you're actually using.
Enemies die hard and it's satisfying. Now they fly back a bit or hobble around before dying, making the kill that much more satisfying.
And nothing has been taken out so it's the same experience you had all those years ago, but just different enough to enjoy it as new again.
>>
>What seems to be the final level
>Reach portal end of level
>Fight two huge centaur-like demons that shoot BFG in a small arena

why
>>
>>339491875
>slower moving speed
>reloading
>2 second killing animations
>notably faster
Excuse me, do I miss something?
>>
>>339494887
the attention to detail is what makes it kinda neat, but it's excessive
>>
>>339495430
Not him but demons do move and shoot, or at least shoot, considerably faster. Imps also lunge at you, zombiemen have assault rifles etc.
>>
>>339494887
>To be honest it adds a little extra to the game. Like steak sauce on a steak

oh boy here we go
>>
>>339490683
Brutal Doom was pretty shit, the new campaign at least.
I still didn't figure out how to play Brutal Doom with classic maps
>>
When you're bored of the vanilla version it feels fresh and fun. Enemies are less bulletspongy and more dangerous, so it feels great.
>>
>>339495857
I'm the opposite. Played brutal doom 2 as I never bothered to finish doom 2 before and loved every second of it. That icon of sin final boss was fucking insanity. I'm playing through brutal dooms actual campaign and it's pretty cool too. I just move the free doom wads out of the root folder and put the doom 1&2 wads in and it loads them fine.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.