[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What style of Mario games do you like the most? >SMB 1, 2
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
File: file.png (932 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
file.png
932 KB, 1280x720
What style of Mario games do you like the most?

>SMB 1, 2 and 3, SMW, NSMB games
2D with multiple linear levels set in multiple themed worlds
>Mario 64, Sunshine
3D with multiple stars in single, non linear levels
>Galaxy 1 and 2
3D with a few stars in slightly linear levels
>3D Land, World
3D with multiple linear levels set in multiple themed worlds
>>
I liked 64 and Galaxy 1&2. Didn't like sunshine.
>>
I like more open world/ open ended stuff, so 64 and Sunshine. Those are my favorites.
>>
>>339479601
2D > 64 > 3D Land/World > Sunshine > Galaxy
desu mate
>>
>>339479601
SMW for 2D and SM64 for 3D.
SMW is just fun, throwing shit up, spin jumping, flying with the cape. The older ones couldn't do what it did and newer ones won't let you have that kind of fun because fun isn't safe.

And 64 because that fantastic movement and being able to play it however the fuck I want.
Sunshine still has the fantastic movement but the progression sucks, has unskippable cutscenes and is walled off for the sake of having a "story". Galaxy just gimped the movement and openness to hell.
>>
2D of course. The others are decent but ultimately derivative spinoffs.
>>
>>339479601
Sunshine and Galaxy 1 had the right idea. SM64DS is fine too.

Fuck NSMB and everything it touches.
>>
I enjoy 3D Land/World and 64/Sunshine the most. 2D's alright.

Galaxy games are a poor compromise of old 3D and 2D/new 3D and I'm not really a fan of them.
>>
Galaxy 1/2 > 64/Sunshine > 3D World > SMB
>>
64 was the best format, and we haven't had any game that really followed it in Mario - Don't say Sunshine because it was NOT as open as you all think it was - because of how the shines are set and because you have to get to certain Shines in order to progress the story, it's actually not optional at all in terms of which Shines you can get.

In Mario 64 you can choose which Stars you want to get, as long as you get 70. Those 70 can be of all kinds of combinations, so if you can't do one mission, it's no problem, you can go for a different Star to make up for it.

Sunshine, however, you're fucked. The exact shines you have to get in order to beat the game are already set, and all the other Shines are optional. You have no choice. If you get stuck on just one of those set Shines, you're fucked and stuck in the game, with no option to just get another Shine instead.

It's true that the Galaxies are linear and also you have to do one mission before the next, but unlike Sunshine, it still is a bit more open in that the number of stars you HAVE to get is much less than the number of stars you have to get to beat the entire game, so there is still wiggle in room in getting to choose which missions to complete to get to the endgoal. And it's also more upfront about its nonlinearity. Sunshine presents itself as nonlinear and open when it's actually very linear and set in which missions you have to do to beat the game. That's just deceptive to me and why Sunshine is worst Mario IMO.
>>
Galaxy 1 and 2 are the my favorite 3D platformers ever so that
>>
File: krunkeykong.jpg (231 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
krunkeykong.jpg
231 KB, 800x450
>>339479601
The style where they still gave a fuck. 2D or 3D I don't care, but NSMB and the 3D Land/World sub-series both feel cold, clinical and shit. Galaxy 2 suffered from this in places too but wasn't so bad overall.

I'd say "is that so much to ask for?" but considering post-2010 Nintendo, I already know the answer to that. I just want another Mario Land 2 or Sunshine again, maybe a little rough around some of the edges but bursting with actual charm instead of this by-the-numbers shit
>>
Super Star Saga

Everything else is irrelevant
>>
>>339479601
I like SM64.

I don't like other mario games.
>>
>>339479601
Super Mario 3-D World for Wii U is very good and gets too much shit on this board. Leave it alone!
>>
File: 3PTGF5l.jpg (131 KB, 1076x960) Image search: [Google]
3PTGF5l.jpg
131 KB, 1076x960
>>339479601
2D: Super Mario All-Stars
3D: Galaxy graphics with 64 gameplay
>>
I'm a big fan of the 3D Land/World style games. I wish they were a bit more difficult though. However I feel the best Mario game is probably Galaxy 1.
>>
I unironically think 3D World is the best 3D Mario since 64.

SMB3 is the best Mario game of all time though.
>>
I loved sunshine
>>
Am I the only one who absolutely fucking loved Galaxy and yet hated Galaxy 2?
>>
Top tier
64/SMS style

Great tier
SMB/2/3/W style

High tier
SMG style

Mid tier
SM3DL/W style

Eh tier
NSMB style
>>
>>339482928
I hate it too but I'm not entirely sure why (Besides the linear as fuck map).

Those side missions you needed x amount of coins for were a fucking pain in the butt because it's entirely easy to screw yourself out of it if you fail a bonus room.
>>
>>339481850
>NSMB and the 3D Land/World sub-series both feel cold, clinical and shit
I agree that NSMB Wii was bland, especially in color, but NSMBU and 3D World are both full of flavor.
>>
>>339482928
The only major things I didn't like in Galaxy 2 were the repetitive Bowser fights and how easy getting 1-ups are.

Other than that, it's my favorite 3D Mario game, and this is from a guy who friggin loved 64.
>>
>>339483603
>friggin
I realize this is a mario thread but underage pls go
>>
>>339479601
Super Mario 3-D World is a great game with lots of clever levels, great music, and fantastic art style. SM3DW gets so much crap on this board and that's a shame.

SMW is the best 2-D game IMO SMB3 was downright revolutionary for NES, but it's flaws, make it subordinate to SMW in the hierarchy in Mario games.
>>
>>339483704
Shut the heck up.
>>
I like 64 and World the most, which are probably the most non-linear Mario games.

>>339482928
I did too. I think it's because Galaxy had the storybook which pushed you to complete it, and then you got Luigi which made it fun to complete a second time. So by the time SMG2 was out, I was looking for something new, not more of the same.

That said, I feel like I'm burnt out on Mario games in general. I forced myself to finish 3D Land since I borrowed it from a friend, and finished NSMB2 so I could return the favour, but apart from those I haven't finished anything Mario related (including spin-offs) since SMG.
>>
>>339483209
3D World got lucky with a few stages (mostly the ones that referenced other games, like the Mario Kart level) and the flying squirrel power-up from NSMBU was pretty cool, but they're still bland as fuck compared to the likes of Galaxy, 64, the Mario Lands and so on.

The absolute worst offenders were New Super Mario Bros 2 on the 3DS, and Mario 3D Land. Those were two of the first games I bought for the 3DS, and for the life of me I cannot remember a single memorable moment or stage from either of them. That's a pretty telling sign if you ask me
>>
>>339479601
64 is definitely the better world. Things actually had tension to them. The castle is mysterious. The mansion is genuinely scary, and the background feels really ominous for a Mario game. Compare the faces of Boos from Mario 64 and onward. What used to be unsettling is now a goofy cartoon. You never see no pianos anymore. The music isn't genuinely fucking scary or moody either. It always sounds like a parody of what it's trying to sound like. Like some saturday morning cartoon--especially Galaxy. Shit like the fire painting, chain chomps, echoey caves, poisonous gas in moody caves with tense music and brutal death animations make Mario 64 much more engrossing. You take it more seriously. It feels like they want me to throw my hands up in the air in a silly fashion and sigh in Sunshine and afterwards, whereas in 64 I'm disturbed and truly care for Mario, which is supported by the fact that all the jumps in 64 feel more menacing without FLUDD. Also Bowser seems like a menacing omnipotent threat, and his boss battles are hype as fuck, at least for a Mario game. I'm just stopping out of consideration for you guys, but even nowadays, I'm still disturbed by Mario's sounds when he gets fucking smooshed by a block, or is drowning in quicksand; not to mention fucking drowning.
>>
all you bashing sunshine need to play it while on acid. then you'll understand everything.
>>
>>339486614
The N64 is the outlier frankly. Compare anything Nintendo made on it to the SNES or GCN.
>>
>>339488428
Your point?
>>
>>339488561
Just pointing out that if that's what you want from Mario/Nintendo in general, then you should probably look elsewhere, since they aren't going to drop the saccharin levels any time soon. Not that any alternative exists though; even Yooka--Laylee looks like vomit rendered in Play-doh.
>>
>>339480479
>Galaxy that low
I mean damn, I get that it was quite linear and not as challenging as some of the others, but the physics, environments and music made it such a blast for me.
>>
>>339488428
ya N64 was made in the Evangelion era. EVERYTHING Japan was different back then.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.