[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what's the general consensus? I've seen threads
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3
File: gungeon.jpg (67 KB, 736x414) Image search: [Google]
gungeon.jpg
67 KB, 736x414
So what's the general consensus? I've seen threads made about it almost daily, but now it's dead. What the hell happened?
>>
>>339479302
It was /v/ flavor of the month a while back.

But like all top view dungeon crawl you get bored after over 25 hours.
>>
roguelites are very limited
it's ok while it lasts you
>>
The incredibly slow movement speed and general pace of the game killed it. Spending ~10 minutes on the first level alone and sometimes not getting a new gun in that time is ridiculous.
>>
Its kinda cool but i am not good enough at dodging shit to get very far. Can only play the first level so many times, you know?

I do kind of wish the characters were a bit more unique than they are. Or at least if there were a lot more characters to pick from.
>>
>>339479557
you will always get a gun on the first floor, either from one of the two chests, or the boss.
>>
>>339479302
No multiplayer
>>
>>339479860
There are two secret characters - one of which plays differently to the other four. I can't speak for the second secret guy - haven't unlocked him.
>>
>>339479396
Isaac.
>>
>>339479302
Good game. Too hard for most of casual neo /v/ got 140 hours out of it. Hope they make more content.
>>
File: vvipTba.jpg (180 KB, 1024x780) Image search: [Google]
vvipTba.jpg
180 KB, 1024x780
>>339479916
And then you spend the one starting key on the brown chest with some shitty passive. And of course you don't find another key and have to fight the bullet twins with the fucking starting weapon which is no fun and so it lasts forfuckingever only to get rewarded with the motherfucking t-shirt cannon.

Yeah, i'm very much into roguelikes, but sometimes gungeon is just a drag.
>>
>>339480356
a key will always be provided at the shop if one doesnt drop for you in the dungeon.
>>
>>339479302
Finished 3 levels within first 2 hours, got bored and refunded
>>
File: 1461779010173.jpg (55 KB, 637x469) Image search: [Google]
1461779010173.jpg
55 KB, 637x469
The Bullet is the only fun character in the game and with a starter weapon that is literally god-tier
>>
>>339479302
All those threads were just "yeah the mechanics are fine but all these fucking damage sponges make the game a fucking chore, this is boring" and then everyone was like "yeah" and poof, threads over.
>>
>>339479557
>10 minutes on the first floor.
The game has been cleared without glitches in 17ish minutes.
>>
>>339479302
The game is just boring

Floors drag on for way too long and guns don't impact your runs enough so they all feel the same
>>
>>339479302
it's pretty good, I just don't have the patience to git gud.
if they could make the first few floors a bit easier/quicker I think it would help.
Or have an easy mode for plebs like me
>>
>>339479302
>Slow movement combined with large maps makes the game drag
>Ammo is too scarce, have to rely on the starting pea-shooter because using a good weapon would waste ammo
>Bullet sponge enemies everywhere
It's like the game is designed to be as tedious as possible.
The nature of rougelikes means dying is common and spending 5 minutes to get through the first level again isn't fun.
>>
>>339481073
Literally none of this is true and it reeks of a patchless pirate. This game is simply too hard for most people and you'll see them make up any excuse in the world to explain why it's not their fault.
>>
>>339479302
at least it is better than nuclear throne
>>
>>339481319
Like hell.

Nuclear Throne's pacing is fast-paced to the end, and gives you more enemies, not the same enemies with more health.

Gungeon has better mechanics but with pacing that godawful I just don't give a fuck.
>>
the first and the second floor are always boring as hell
you'll never die on them or even lose health if you're any good, but always take 20 minutes to play through to get to the point where the game starts to become fun and interesting
half the enemies are fairly boring too
>>
>>339481442
hell no lol. nuclear throne is so fucking boring and tedious. there two-three boring enemies per terribly generated level so they just lazily put as many as they can on screen. its even worse post-loop when they amplify this by adding even more plus enemies from other stages. you can't even call it bad design it's no design at all. the balance is horrendous and there are only a few weapons worth using ever. don't even get me started on the fps issues or terrible graphics. the only thing nuclear throne got right was the soundtrack.
>>
>>339481073
>Slow movement combined with large maps makes the game drag
There's teleportation in almost every room
>Ammo is too scarce, have to rely on the starting pea-shooter because using a good weapon would waste ammo
Ammo reloads everywhere, and the guns variety makes it very rare to be low on ammo, even if you're the worst scrub
>Bullet sponge enemies everywhere
Every enemy that's not a boss dies in 4 or 5 hits tops.

But nice bait anyhow.
>>
Make an expansion that is just synergy shit to make it more interesting. Trying to just get a good gun is no fun.
>>
>>339481701
Hordes of enemies that fell like wheat before the motherfucking scythe.

And there's very few guns not worth using, only there's actual gun progression so the guns you get in the later stages are, shock horror, a lot better. Instead of 80% of guns being fucking worthless varieties of machinegun with stock effects added.

Like goddamn, Gungeon's guns SUCK.
>>
>>339481712
the ammo drop algorithm is fucked. sometimes you'll get ammo every room sometimes you'll go through bullet hell with 10 empty weapons and not recieve a single drop
and dont get me started on fighting the fucking gun nuts on floor 1 with the pilot starting pistol
>>
>>339481910
>gungeon's guns suck
how many hours have you played? you will almost always get a few decent room clearers and a boss killer by the third floor. the fun of the game comes from taking what the game gives you and working with it.
>>
>>339482162
oh fucking hell, gun nuts are a complaint of yours? you literally circle around the things and they'll never be able to shoot you.
>>
>>339481910
>Hordes of enemies that fell like wheat before the motherfucking scythe.
yeah and it's fucking boring as hell. couldn't they have opted to create something cool instead of putting 1000 maggots onscreen?

>And there's very few guns not worth using
there is one gun worth using and it is spc. beyond that you have the ultra shovel which isn't even a gun. everything else is fodder tier garbage. in gungeon most of the guns are good.
>>
Game is great it's just there isn't enough hooks after a while. I beat the game and hell with all 4 of the non secret characters and did most of the quests.

I played for ~40 so I got my $15 worth but I would pay more for a few Issac style huge content packs.
>>
>>339479302
It's like a slower nuclear throne.
>>
>>339482331
Now you're talking out your ass, with just the sledgehammer and shotgun/grenade launcher/any other low tier above pistol weapon you can wipe the fucking floor with the game with every pre-throne, where you start getting the insane weapons that play off your buffs.

And boring? Boring? You couldn't have thrown this conversation harder into the trash if you fucking tried with such a threadbare criticism. Post-loop gets absolutely insane with enemy combinations and you're acting like -

Whatever, fuck you.

>>339482249
Yeah, you get one, that you have to conserve like hell since you run out of ammo like fucking crazy.
>>
Both Nuclear Throne and Gungeon are pretty good. Gungeon is more RPG-y while NT is more arcade-style, nothing wrong with either.
>>
I've put in 32 hours in the game but I still hate the RNG of getting a decent gun in the first level. Because of that I hate playing as Marine or Pilot, just using the pistol all the time is boring as fuck.
>>
>>339482330
they're not hard
they're incredibly easy and incredibly tedious to kill
>>
>>339479396
It's sorta done its job, a small top down game keeping you invested for 25 hours is good enough
>>
How am I supposed to forge the gun if I can barely afford keys and bullet hearts?
>>
I wasn't really a fan. Your character doesn't really scale with enemy health so you're going to be extremely bored plinking away at bullet sponge enemies and bosses.
>>
It's Shit, too low damage output, Shit takes too long to beat, feels repetitive, guns suck ass (although when they're good, they're really good, creative and fun to use). Overall I'd recommend it to someone who likes slower roguelites.
>>
Bought this game and it made me go back to Nuclear Throne, that game plays so much better
>>
I feel like it'd play better if guns shot faster and everything including yourself died quicker.
>>
>>339482556
yes you can use the shitty weapons until you get spc and ultra shovel. really you're just killing time until you get the only good items in the game. every run devolves into this because all the other weapons are shit. got my spc? check. got my ultra shovel? check. and it is boring, it's fucking boring as hell. post loop gets insane? no it gets even shittier and poorly designed. its like they opened mspaint and copy pasted enemies from the other stages because they were too fucking lazy to create anything new.
>>
Did they ever add cursor support for controller users?
>>
>>339480416
It's more generous than that - a key will always be provided in the shop on any floor where you haven't picked up a key yet, even if one dropped. And, since the rat doesn't take keys, that means that you can just ignore keys that drop until you visit the shop, buy a key, and then go back to pick the dropped one up.
>>
>>339479302
As soon as Gungeon was released I dropped Nuclear Throne like the hot trash it is and never went back.
>>
>>339480356
>And then you spend the one starting key on the brown chest with some shitty passive

Only if you're retarded. Never use the keys on anything below a green chest.
>>
>>339484320
theres some decent stuff in brown chests, but if you don't have a lot of keys this is generally the best way to do it.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.