[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cutscenes and Quick Time Events are lazy and cheap feeling design
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: resident-evil-4-qte.jpg (26 KB, 400x238) Image search: [Google]
resident-evil-4-qte.jpg
26 KB, 400x238
Cutscenes and Quick Time Events are lazy and cheap feeling design shortcuts.

Agree or Disagree?
>>
I think QTE can be fun and engaging if done well. take God of War for example: the qte in GOW made for some really cool and brutal ways to kill enemies that would have otherwise been impossible to do with the standard controls. As for cutscenes, they're just for advancing the story really, just as long as they have a good balance between length and how engaging the cutscene actually is to watch.
>>
>>339454587
I think they're the most obnoxious in GoW.
>>
>>339455140
Take out the QTE in god of war and it becomes mediocre.
>>
>>339454587
God of War shows QTEs at their best and their worse. They work well as finishers after boss fights and the like, but mashing circle to open a treasure chest is terrible.
>>
>>339456138
I think the latest ones just have you hold the button down.
>>
Cutscene QTEs like in RE4 are infuriating because you can't skip them and if you fuck up you have to rewatch the entire cutscene again.
>>
>>339453091
yes
and fuck the minecart qte in re4
>>
>>339453091
The idea behind a QTE is that it's supposed to be used in a scenario in which the player wouldn't have control, such as a cutscene, to give them some interactivity. RE4 is a good example of this.
>>
>>339456840
Wouldn't a better solution be to make the cutscenes shorter and tell more of the story through gameplay?
>>
>>339453091
It's great in RE4
>>339456573
You can skip the cutscenes to the part where you have to push the buttons
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.