[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Dark Souls "hard"?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 15
File: Dark_Souls_Cover_Art.jpg (53 KB, 256x330) Image search: [Google]
Dark_Souls_Cover_Art.jpg
53 KB, 256x330
Finally played Dark Souls. How did this game get such a reputation for being hard? It's inconvenient, and doesn't explain fucking shit, but it isn't hard. It's rote memorization to learn enemy placement, and swinging after an enemy attacks. Dying because of a shitty camera or some surprise you have no way of predicting doesn't make it hard, it just makes it annoying. Literally anyone could beat this game given enough time just by throwing themselves at a route/boss over and over until they win. Is this just the hardest game most people have played, so it gets the "hardest game ever" rep?
>>
Everytime someone says a souls game is about trial and error it is an automatic indicator to that they are retarded.
>>
>>339439974
There is no way you could see some of the shit the game throws at you coming without looking it up, or having played through it before. How is that not trial/error? The bonfire mechanic is built around the fact that it's trail and error, mess up, go back 20 feet, do it again until you get it right.
>>
>>339440132
I don't think it's very hard either, and I agree for the most part, but I don't think you've gotten far enough into the game to have a real opinion yet.
>>
>>339440132
>There is no way you could see some of the shit the game throws at you
Yes you can. You can anticipate everything by being careful and patient. Retards who rush through the level will get fucked up.
>>
>>339440242
I fucking beat it today. How much more do I have to play before I get an opinion?
>>
File: 1464274822225.jpg (61 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1464274822225.jpg
61 KB, 1280x720
>There will never be a game as hard and unforgiving as Dark Souls.
>>
>>339440370
>first mimic
>dragon bridge
>Poison darts flying across the map in blight town
>Instakill at Seethe
>Second belltower demon halfway through the fight

How can I know a second boss will spawn? It never happened in the game until that point. How can I know a boss will kill me the second I walk into a room? It never happens until that point. How am I supposed to know mimics are in the game until one eats me? The chain is slightly different? That means death? The dragon bridge is a perfect example, I've timed it, if you start running back when you hear the dragon on the bridge, you can't make it back, you just die. You either HAVE to run forward blindly, or die. How does that reward careful gameplay?
>>
Dark Souls is Horror House made videogame, anon. You have to look for traps to not get spooked (or dying).
>>
>>339440793
you should add
>stray demon surprise on your return.
100% grade A bullshit.
>>
>>339440793
>mimics breath and have a different chain
>dragon bridge is scorched and you can see it before you walk out
>1 toxic dart won't give you toxin so you see you get hit and retreat to find what hit you (duh?)
>you're supposed to die at the first seath. you encounter curses before you fight him anyways.
>in the cutscene you can clearly tell which of the statues are real and there's 2 that look real
>>
>>339440793
>seath "death"
>you don't lose anything
>you get put in the next bonfire
why do people complain about it?
>>
>>339442940
Except this happened to me
>block attack from enemy
>get minor amount of toxic
>dart hits my shield from across the map
>get toxic
>I die

The bridge being scorched means I should run blindly across a bridge with enemies when the game as taught up until that point that slow and careful gameplay is expected? And what about the floor falling out when you revisit the Asylum? Enemies run across the floor that then falls through as soon as you step on it, the Asylum Demon slammed that floor a dozen times and it held up. And it just suddenly crumbles when I step on it?

There's no reasonable way you can expect a player to notice literally everyone of these details. Some of them are so obscure and esoteric that it's just ridiculousness.

>>339443241
Because I thought I fucked up, ran all the way back to try the boss again, and got murdered again. It's bullshit because the game never puts you against a boss you can't kill until then, and it's not clear that you can't.
>>
>>339439812
DSP pls leave
>>
>>339442684

I disagree, you should have been wary of the boss room when you were able to return and new enemies had spawned.
>>
File: 1464135763835.gif (2 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1464135763835.gif
2 MB, 400x225
>>339440793
>You can actually leave Seath's boss fog. A prompt even appears if you go near it.
>A second Gargoyle joining the fray with 50% hp is hardly unfair. It's essentially a phase 2 of the boss fight. If you can't handle that kind of shit from a boss you're probably not very good at videogames.
>The bridge is scorched and you ALREADY FUCKING MET the hellkite drake at the beginning of undead burg. He will fly down as soon as you touch the scorch marks so if you don't just charge the bridge like a moron you can turn around and run back just fine.
>the first mimic looks very out of place, has obvious lighting differences, breathes (like all mimics) and is positioned at a haphazard angle. I was suspicious as soon as I saw it and attacked on instinct and I'm definitely not the only one

I learned early on that Dark Souls does not operate on videogame logic as much as it operates on what would make sense in real life, and that's fine. It doesn't always follow the same precedents it had set and instead designs things that are logically intuitive if you try to forget for a moment that you're in a videogame and stop trying to predict the game beyond what the world is trying to communicate.
>>
>>339443660
blooming purple moss cures toxic which you should have some if you went to darkroot or the merchant in the sewer. and even if you didn't have any you could just use a homeward bone.. there's no reason to die from toxic darts.

i don't know why you think the game taught that you should just run past everything you're supposed to take everything slowly and cautiously while looking at your surroundings.

idk about the asylum floor i never thought about it but i'm sure there is some sort of clue that it will fall out. you do see the demon at the beginning of the game and if you pay attention you'll know it is under that floor.

>Some of them are so obscure and esoteric that it's just ridiculousness.

sure, but they're there.
>>
>>339439812
Feels like a decently challenging Genesis or SNES era game. Also any semi competent raider I've met in WoW agrees there's nothing this game throws at you that we haven't had to learn for years.

It's just refreshing because games are so brain dead of late.
>>
File: 1459403488893.png (1 MB, 852x854) Image search: [Google]
1459403488893.png
1 MB, 852x854
Usually when people talk about the difficulty and lack of hand holding, typically they mean relative to other major releases of the last few years. In terms of difficulty it doesn't really stack up against whatever your top 10 list of all time hardest games is, it was just the first modern mainstream series to not suck your dick and insult your intelligence in quite a while.
>>
File: 1464585354814.jpg (58 KB, 604x604) Image search: [Google]
1464585354814.jpg
58 KB, 604x604
>>339443660

>There's no reasonable way you can expect a player to notice literally everyone of these details. Some of them are so obscure and esoteric that it's just ridiculousness

Except that the return to the asylum is a secret. A secret you'd have to have found by paying attention to obscure details and poking around, so they can reasonably expect anyone who foundthe area to be that kind of player, right? Unless of course, you're a filthy guidefag.
>>
>>339444221
>Beat first boss
>Shit, this is a lot of souls, better be careful
>Hmm, looks like a lot of enemies on this bridge, better take it slow and steady so I don't die

And then if you don't dash for the side passage, you die.

And fuck, the Capra Demon gives you literally two seconds to react before you get hit with that opening attack. No boss till that point hits you that fast out the gate.
>>
>>339444547
Or someone wrote it on the floor.
>>
>>339444557
if you take it slowly enough you can hear the dragon coming and have enough time to run back to safety or you can be observant and notice the scorch marks and run out a bit then back again to see if anything comes.
>>
>>339439812
Modern gamers are casual as fuck, that's why this game has this reputation of being the "hardest game evar".
>>
>>339444557
>complains about dragon bride
>says "the capra demons gives you 2 seconds etc."

god you must be fucking stupid if your reaction times are that fucking slow
>>
>>339444754
But you can't. If you start running back the second you hear the dragon, you're already dead. You cannot make it back. Go back and try it if you don't believe me. It's either sprint or die.
>>
>>339444959
okay then the second option still stands.
>>
>>339444557
I beat the capra demon on my first try. It was seriously the best and most intense boss fight I can remember. Get gud.
>>
>>339439812
No, it's not the hardest game ever, being hard was never the point of Dark Souls. It was just the easiest way to market the game. Dark Souls is difficult but fair, it punishes your mistakes, and learning the various mechanics of the game truly rewards you.

People who think Dark Souls defining aspect is being hard miss the point, every game is hard if you don't learn it, most games choose to go easy on you, or don't punish you at all, Dark Souls doesn't pull it's punches. So when the time comes when you can safely say Dark Souls isn't hard for you anymore, you actually feel like you've accomplished something.
>>
>>339444959
Maybe you should try being aware of your surroundings
>>
>>339440793
>first mimic
Very true, you would not know to attack chests or even that they are different by that point so I agree.

>dragon bridge
It's debatable but I have to agree as well. By the time the player can figure out anything is wrong the dragon is already above you breathing fire. And before the "wings flapping sound" argument comes up it's already too late to run by that point, especially if you have above 25% equip burden which most players will.

>Poison darts flying across the map in blight town
Also true, You can at least heal it, but that's luck as well since the game doesn't actually give any free Toxic healing items prior to this, it would be luck to acquire them from the tree enemies.

>Instakill at Seethe
Yeah I hated this. It was as unnecessary as making a bag man kill you in Bloodborne to get into Yarhnam early. They could have had him cast something to trap you and had a "special death message" like "Captured" or something.

>Second belltower demon halfway through the fight
I don't really think this is as relevant. The AI is purposefully docile and mostly breathes fire so you can bait the more melee oriented one towards you. I will say the length his fire can reach should have been slightly nerfed though to make it more bearable.
>>
>>339443865
Not really. The game forces you to drop on a floor that was previously completely passable without warning and you take at least 1/3 health and are frozen on the ground for long enough that if Stray Demon chooses can hit you with a super powerful and massive AOE attack you've never seen before while recovering. It's entirely possible to be completely fucked over by it.
>>
>>339439812
I'm playing Dark Souls for the first time right now and fighting the Gaping Dragon was the only real time I had trouble in this game. That said, I'm about to go into Blighttown and everyone makes Blighttown out to be the hardest level in Souls' existence.

Not sure if ready
>>
>>339444221
Being forced to restart just because the game didn't provide the item on random chance isn't acceptable. It's the same as dying since death mostly is just a progress loss.
>>
>>339445190
That's not logical. There is no reason to suspect something to happen on a bridge that has perfectly healthy enemies on it unless you've already played Demon's Souls... which was very unlikely since this was the first game most people played in the series. Not to mention depending on knowledge from another game in the series is complete bullshit. The game should have all the information in the game you need to survive.
>>
>>339445676
It's already been explained in multiple posts why this argument doesn't work.

>>339445214
The fact that you either had a good enough stability shield luckily or just happened to get buggy dog AI isn't an acceptable excuse for the broken design of that fight.
>>
>>339446616
>he fact that you either had a good enough stability shield luckily or just happened to get buggy dog AI isn't an acceptable excuse for the broken design of that fight.

Dude, or maybe you could just dodge it? That attack is incredibly obvious, i also beat it first time with no prob. If you're not slow you can easily make it.
>>
>>339446616
You're forgetting about messages. If you just ignore them, then you're asking to have trouble. If you go to that bridge, it's basically guaranteed that there will be at least one message saying there's a dragon ahead, or at least some kind of danger. Earlier in the game that same dragon appears breathing fire on where you're trying to walk, so it's not the first encounter you have with that dragon.
>>
I just don't understand how people compare it to old NES games.

There were games that had no checkpoints or "bonfires" at all. You die, you go back to the beginning of the game.

Fucking Ninja Gaiden on the NES made you go back to start of Stage 7 (annoying as fuck stage) if you even lost once at any of the final bosses.
>>
>>339446101
And don't forget that the enemies can fall into the hole,once it's made, as well; so, you would have to deal with them as well if you didn't clear them out at the top.
>>
>>339446467
Huge scorch marks and burnt corpses m8
>>
>>339439812
People mistake the early learning curve for the entire game
>>
>>339447241
I have never ever seen anyone compare it to an NES game
>>
>>339447241
>There were games that had no checkpoints

Castlevania gates

Super Mario Bros. halfway points in levels. And that's just off the top of my head.
>>
>>339447463
http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/JamesMargaris/20150505/242687/Dark_Souls_Its_like_an_NES_Game.php

Literally first result on Google
>>
>>339447572
Dark Souls gives you infinite lives though. In those games, the game would quit to title (with no save) once you fucked up too many times.
>>
>>339447707
I mean sure but I was solely replying to "those were games that had no checkpoints."
>>
Since this is a troll thread, I have a serious question

How is Parrying in DS3? I fell in love with it in DS1, learned to love some of the quirks in DS2, and really now I only look forward to DS3 because of the parrying.

Does it still have three ripose stages or is it instant now?
>>
File: 1460265405990.jpg (39 KB, 500x376) Image search: [Google]
1460265405990.jpg
39 KB, 500x376
>>339447362
I feel like everyone who says this shit about the bridge (and similarly about the 1st mimic) arent realizing that hindsight is 20/20 and when the game is brand spanking new, no one is looking at excruciating details like that. A souls veteran is more aware, but I feel like for all intents and purposes, those two encounters are trial and error.

But I also thinks thats fine. The mimic example is sort of a surprise but it teaches you to be aware of chests next time. Trial and error doesnt not always equal terrible.
>>
File: 1464117383194.png (237 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
1464117383194.png
237 KB, 633x758
>>339446254

>Blighttown
>fucking vertical labyrinth
>NOPE mosquitoes and spiderthings
>toxic darts
>that swamp at the bottom
>run out of purple moss
>Quelaag fucking my shit up
>mfw sword breaks and I don't have a repair box

Blighttown gave me PTSD

Was worth it though, it went from my most hated area to one of my favorite ones after I beat it
>>
>>339447884
I totally agree with you there. There are for sure some "trial and error" instances, but collectively they prepare you for the rest of the game. It's almost as if certain events (bridge, mimics, etc) train the player to think in a Dark Souls mindset to always be cautious
>>
>>339447880
Caestus parrry is instant
Everything else is ds1 like, except the parry timing is different
>>
>>339443865
wary of what exactly? look at this from a new players perspective
>fight and kill tutorial boss, who was swinging his massive hammer around hitting the floor
>player eventually finds his way back through hints or luck
>oh cool this room again
>suddenly the floor collapses for no reason
>new player likely dies
if anything the demon swinging his massive hammer let the player TRUST the floor. and its not even internally consistent, you can drag every one of those hollows and have them run across the floor, it will not crumble. theres not even a visual cue that the floor will crumble, its 1:1 of the original.

a minor nitpick in the grand scheme of things, but still a bullshit one.
>>
Everyone keep in mind the first mimic is in Sen's Fortress. You should be prepared for traps. Also if you're playing online there will 99% of the time be a message in front of it.
>>
>>339448246
I've heard the windows are akin to DS2, As in there's a slight startup to most weapons and a window afterwards, but not much in terms of recovery.
>>
>>339448067
th-thanks..now I know to buy some purple moss shit..
>>
>>339448279
Not him. The argument you guys are having is stupid. There is nothing wrong with them intentionally putting a surprise buttfuck moment in their game. It's one of the only legitimate surprises in the game and you're given no proper warning signs for it beforehand. And that's fucking fine.
>>
File: 1460122253349-0.png (1 MB, 698x4355) Image search: [Google]
1460122253349-0.png
1 MB, 698x4355
>>339439812

>Dying because of a shitty camera or some surprise you have no way of predicting
>>
>>339448318
I mean I understand that it's totally fitting for Sen's, but hardly has a chest ever been associated with danger in any game. I've been swinging at chests and looking at chains for as long as I can remember, but only because I watched someone else learn it the hard way.
>>
>>339448471
i have no problem with surprise moments in these games, i have a problem when people refuse to call them out for it.
a bullshit moment, plain and simple. dont tread around the bush and say its not when it clearly is.
>>
>>339445348
This.

Bamco's fucking cancer for their retarded LE PREPARE TO LE DIE XDDD garbage marketing that attracted some obnoxious cunts.
>>
>>339448471
It is when the players turn and lie to me about how fair the game is. I had several deaths that flat out were not my fault, and could not have avoided either due to glitchy hitboxes, glitchy platforming, glitchy backstabs, or surprises that just kill you.
>>
>>339448067
>tfw got Quelaag down to very little health
>she instantly does her AoE and fucks my shit up

I swear I died less to O&S than that bitch.
>>
>>339448807
This is the only fair example listed in the thread so far. I know I am overly cautious in games, I tend to take double the time to complete shit as my friends. I'm a flower picker. The Stray Demon is the only example given here that caught me off guard. Even then my gamer sense was going off because I was exploring that room looking for what I felt was going to be an "obvious secret" when I got back.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (78 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
78 KB, 1280x720
Dark Souls is incredibly easy.
The entire series can basically be boiled down to 1 rotation.

1:Dodge forward and right
2: Swing maximum of twice.
3: repeat until enemy falls over

The combat is actually not good IMO.
If anything makes the games difficult pre DS2 it is horrible mechanics. The rest I agree is 100% trial and error.

Everything post DS is basically re skinned whack a mole.

Bloodborne at the very least has entertaining combat although it is not very difficult either.

All in all you are correct. The souls series is extremely overrated in quality and difficulty.
>>
>>339447241
Ninja Gaiden is one of the only NES games that didn't boot your ass back to level 1 after losing all your lives though
>>
>>339449332
Ninja Gaiden Black though.
Now there is a fantastic game that blows Souls out of the water in my book. And that shit is like 10 years old.
>>
>>339448807
>I had several deaths that flat out were not my fault, and could not have avoided either due to glitchy hitboxes, glitchy platforming, glitchy backstabs,
While these would be the game's fault, I couldn't call them unfair since they're clearly unintentional. They're not part of the game design, they're not deliberately put there to fuck you over.

>or surprises that just kill you.
So Seath, pretty much. The rest are typically avoidable with sufficient caution and/or cause relatively minor inconvenience unless you accidentally get killed by some mob enemy on your way back or something.
>>
I can understand someone saying the dragon or the stray demon, but outside of that there is no other "trial and error" in the game, that is bullshit, everything can be avoided by being cautious.
>>
One thing about the Stray Demon is that you can actually see it through an opening while going through the tutorial area. If my memory is correct you can also hear it breathing and walking around below you after you beat the first boss.

Now you have no way of knowing that the floor will give out but if you are observant you will know that there is another Demon there.
>>
File: are-you-kidding-me.jpg (34 KB, 420x403) Image search: [Google]
are-you-kidding-me.jpg
34 KB, 420x403
>>339450218
Trial and Error

the process of experimenting with various methods of doing something until one finds the most successful.

You fucking kidding me?
>>
I showed my uncle the series and he likes the combat and fighting the bosses but he said:

>I die from falling off ledges and random bullshit instead of from enemies and bosses

That is pretty on point too.
>>
No one says it is hard. Ghost and goblins, contra now that's hard
>>
Nobody would lie on the Internet... right?
>>
>>339447884
Seriously. You can't just say "burnt corpses" as a handwave for the dragon not being properly foreshadowed. There's nothing in the game to lead the player to believe that scorch marks=dragon nearby, and especially not that the dragon is going to come down breathing fire at that specific angle and that you need to run to a side passage down some stairs on the right to avoid it. That's a connection that you would only make once you already know that the dragon is there.

Demon's Souls didn't have this issue, for what it's worth. The dragon bridge in 1-1 was too packed full of enemies for you to get far enough out that you couldn't turn back and get off the bridge once you hear the dragon coming. There's also a dragon nest off to the side so players who explore thoroughly will be fully aware of the dragon's abilities before they have to cross the bridge, and once you get to 1-2 and beyond, you're already aware of the dragons and have made the burnt corpses connection from the nest earlier.
>>
>>339444704
I doubt somebody was able to convey "go underneath the elevators and then do a weird jump onto this buttress-thingy and then curl up in a ball in a nest" through template messages. Also, even if they put multiple messages down for each step, the odds of them all appearing for one person are very low.
>>
File: tomb-of-giants-1.jpg (421 KB, 1920x1096) Image search: [Google]
tomb-of-giants-1.jpg
421 KB, 1920x1096
most bullshit area in a souls game?
>>
>>339453272
You can fucking SEE the dragon. It's right in front of you!
>>
>>339453792
I fucking hated this area. I think I died like 10 times just trying to get to the first bonfire.
>>
File: image.jpg (172 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
172 KB, 900x900
>>339453792
>mfw I kill Nito and the Funky bunch on my play through and know I don't have to come back to this hell hole anymore
>>
File: capture.png (919 KB, 851x479) Image search: [Google]
capture.png
919 KB, 851x479
>>339453949
No? The dragon comes from the back the first time you step out onto the bridge.
>>
>>339453272
>>339454681
Doesn't even matter in the first place because the initial fire blast is never enough to kill you. Seriously, take a base level sorcerer in stock clothing and take the hit. You'll have enough time to get burnt, get up and make it to the stairs before the dragon even makes a second attack.
>>
>>339453792
It's more bearable if you have the flashlight helmet from hell
>>
>>339448613
>that pic
/thread
>>
>>339454923
Right. It's a teaching moment. You see the dragon early on and then you come up on a kill corridor with burn marks on the ground. The dragon flies in and wakes your ass up if you're an idiot who misses the obvious signs and teaches you what the game is about all at once,
>>
>>339440636

Contra for the NES was harder.
>>
>>339455341
And then there's another teaching moment where the Asylum Demon is swinging his hammer and buttslamming in his arena while you roll and run over every inch of it just fine, then when you come back the floor collapses out from under you. Totally telegraphed!
>>
>>339453792
I'm going to have to go with Crystal Caves. Mandatory invisible walkways are almost never a good idea and this was no exception. The developer messages kind of made it bearable but traversing that area first time without dying comes down more to luck than anything else. Then when you do memorize the end points of the walkways they're a cakewalk. Except for the giant golem which can get you on any run just due to the janky slopes you have to fight it on.

TOTG has a total of one (1) mandatory enemy and it's very linear with generous bonfire placement. Even on my first try I didn't find it tremendously challenging.

Then again I never played pre-1.04 so the skeledogs' aggro ranges might have been higher on release.
>>
>>339456615
Never been one to say the game is without gotcha moments. Don't lump. Stick to what you know the individual is saying. The dragon is an early game teaching moment and the Stray Demon is surprise buttsex.

Please don't be like >>339440132 and act like a little trial and error in any way harms a game or defines that game by it. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and think more highly of you than that. Please don't prove me wrong.
>>
>>339439812
It's not the hardest game ever, it just punishes players for trying to play the game the same way they've been trained by playing CoD, Bf and other normie stuff

Plus it actually takes some amount of skill to avoid enemy attacks and know when to attack yourself, this is beyond the scope of most Normies understanding of games (point weapon at enemy, press Rb, enemy ded)

Its not that difficult for somebody with a brain, but its definitely not 'easy'.
>>
>play a game 5 years after release
>notice everyone always saying it's hard
>have huge expectations and prepare to be killed a lot
>notice tips and tricks, best weapons, etc constantly posted
>finally play it and find it to not be so bad afterall

Well no shit, retard.
>>
>>339449245
They actually put in moves to counter that attack strategy, those Lothric Knights are absolute cunts with their punishing shield bashes.
>>
>>339440636
>dwarf fortress
>>
File: 0BOAX.jpg (367 KB, 1536x864) Image search: [Google]
0BOAX.jpg
367 KB, 1536x864
>>339450807
This.
So fucking much this.
I just beat the game and the #1 difficulty was falling deaths. Pic fucking related. For a game this fun that has an awesome combat system, the phoned it in with the platforming.
>>
>>339453792
i couldn't agree more desu
>>
File: 1461552266289.jpg (551 KB, 800x1130) Image search: [Google]
1461552266289.jpg
551 KB, 800x1130
>>339439812
it's as hard as you want it to be
summons, builds and online tips can make it stupidly easy

it's nothing like a danmaku or stupidly hard nes games that were hard for the sake of it
>>
>>339440793
>How can I know a second boss will spawn?

because it's an obvious retread from the maneater fight in DeS. Sure you played DeS before playing DaS?
>>
>>339440636
Fucking Megaman
>>
>>339442684
You can see Stray Demon through the window as you run out from your cell at the very beginning.

I'm not saying you should have known the floor would collapse you into a boss, but you could have known Stray Demon was THERE.
>>
>>339442940
>>mimics breath and have a different chain
Yeah, I'm sure the first time you went through a Souls game, you were paying EXTRA ATTENTION to chests just in case mimics might exist in the game. You were slooooowly approaching every chest you encountered "just in case" mimics were a thing.
>>
>>339454948
Do people not?

I always use Sunlight Maggot there.
I guess that's why I'm one of the few who doesn't mind Tomb of the Giants that much.
>>
>>339440793
>Seethe

filtered :^)
>>
>>339453792
Most bullshit is definitely 5-1 from DeS
>>
>>339463393
>it's obvious because <thing that happened in another game from a different IP>

I don't even think the Gargoyles fight is remotely unfair, but you're definitely retarded.
>>
>never beat DS1
>beat DS2...
>...by killing all the enemies between bonfire and boss until they stopped spawning...
>...and practicing against the boss by joining other players' games until i could kill by myself...
>...or by summoning other NPCs and players to help me.
>probably won't play DS3 or Bloodborne
Dark Souls is easy.
>>
>>339439812
It's considered hard by normies because it doesn't hold your hand like every game does nowadays, and because frequently punishes idiots who like to rush ahead without thinking or observing their surroundings carefully.
>>
>>339448613
I was going to ask for someone to post the tale of two adventurers. Thanks for being here m8
>>
>>339463809
I actually did it with the skull lantern for the first time recently. It was a little more challenging but not overly difficult. Had to creep up to enemies, lock on, then switch the lantern out for a shield and fight in the dark. Actually it adds a neat tension to the gameplay which I like.
>>
>there are people ITT who are actually calling the first mimic bullshit
>>they didn't have their autismo detectors go off when there was a chest shoved into the middle of the room and look at it for a few seconds before it started moving
scratching my head
>>
>>339439812
It's hard in the same way falling down the spiked corridor in the classic megaman games is hard, didn't see that coming but now I know what to do on my next try.
Normies call it hard because they don't learn.
>>
>>339464294
I don't get the fuzz about the mimics in general

So you die unfairly? Like..once? You will be mad at first (maybe), I was just shocked.
In the end it's a cool experience. You can just go back and grab the souls again and now be aware of such traps. Why the autism about it?
>>
>>339464294
pro: chest is hard to find, on a dangerous path
cons: it's in the middle of the room, not even aligned with the wall

you need to have OCD to think that chest is suspicious
>>
>>339464294
>a chest
>with nothing guarding it
>in the middle of the room
>sitting at an angle
>in a house of traps

If a player looks at this and it doesn't set off alarm bells, they deserve to be eaten.
>>
>>339464786
Unless I'm misremembering Sen's Fortress layout, the mimic is along the intended route. I'm pretty sure the only way you could possibly skip it would be to run up the stairs into the boulder mechanism room, which is likely to result in being crushed by a boulder.
>>
>>339465364
along the intended route? it's at the bottom
right next to the not-so deadend that leads to the farm ring
>>
>>339465606
I'm pretty sure the intended route is
>first few sets of swinging axes
>out the room with the sleeping snek and up the first boulder slide
>fog door into two rooms connected by a hall with a pressure plate dart trap
>down the boulder slide
>farm ring secret if you wait, else turn left into mimic room
>take the bloody spike elevator up to the jail cell rooms
>walk up the middle boulder slide to the boulder contraption
>>
>>339449556
my african american compadre

NG combat is the gold standard

why can't there be more games like NG, Bayo, DMC? why?

i'll tell you why, cuz it's freaking hard and time consuming to create good combat

the move set for a single weapon alone in those games exceeds other games' entire moveset by multiple factors.

and devs are lazy, and despite NG and others being amazing, they aren't as commercially successful as two move combat system games because complexity doesn't sell

we just have to wait and see if the industry will decide to ever make a decent SP combat game again.

but yeah, DaS hard? kek

you know how many times i died to Alma in NG? i died more times fighting her than the entire DaS game

the great thing about dying in video games is that it's not real life. you can keep playing

jesus christ
>>
>>339466061
I always run up toward the boulder throwing machine, or roll on the wood planks with the snek

again, that mimic must be pretty lonely because not every undead that wanders in sen's fortress...or anor londo...or the archives...

damn mimics are stupid
>>
What's the point of upgrading weapons besides looks? I mean I feel like I'm overleveled so I switch to different weapons everytime
>>
>>339466512
Upgrading weapons doesn't change their looks at all, just their stats. So I guess I don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>339466597
>add lightning, bleed, raw, etc
>or make it into a boss weapon
Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.