[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
daily reminder that the technology behind VR costs $150 at most
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 10
File: oculus.jpg (32 KB, 550x394) Image search: [Google]
oculus.jpg
32 KB, 550x394
daily reminder that the technology behind VR costs $150 at most and you are a fucking retard for buying it for $600 or even $800
>>
>>339388231
>at most

In other words, you don't know.
>>
Daily reminder virtually every piece of consumer electronics has a 400% markup.
>>
>>339388231
>you're a retard for buying video games
>>
>>339388231
about any hardware is sold for more than the individual price cost, coupled with the development costs and expected sales.

Gee who would've wondered a niche device would have a price premium
>>
>>339388231
literally two little HD TVs for 599

It's decent as price, but expensive as fuck for a peripheral that needs a PC to work
>>
No motion picture has ever cost more than $12,500 to produce in actual expenses. I've done the math.
>>
File: oculus cuck.jpg (400 KB, 1620x599) Image search: [Google]
oculus cuck.jpg
400 KB, 1620x599
>>
File: MilkybarsBro.jpg (70 KB, 600x608) Image search: [Google]
MilkybarsBro.jpg
70 KB, 600x608
>>339388231

>2 screens for each eye that are 1200p and operate with a 90hz refresh rate.
>$150 dollars.

I don't like the fucking VR meme myself, but even I realize how idiotic this bullshit sounds. Also, R&D to develop these shits are through the roof and they have to recuperate expenses somehow.
>>
>>339388231
Do you have a single fact to back that up? A 2k resolution oled display all by itself brings your total into question.
>>
File: psvr.jpg (121 KB, 800x569) Image search: [Google]
psvr.jpg
121 KB, 800x569
>>339388231
Well good thing I won't be robbed for more than 400€
>>
>>339391842

This product is either not going to come out until next generation or it is going to be a massive flop.

Due to how close the screens are to the eyes 90 hz refresh rate is a dire necessity or else tearing is extremely noticeable. Even with Sony "updating" their system, I do not understand how they can sell a VR headset for the price they are mentioning. A ton of my colleagues are working on VR and nobody understands what Sony is doing.
>>
>>339392283
Most PSVR games run at 90 fps natively.
Are you sure have any idea what you're talking about? Like, sure sure?
>>
>>339390684
Also, people keep forgetting about the hybrid fresnel lenses.
>>
File: 2 weeks left.jpg (299 KB, 1095x1457) Image search: [Google]
2 weeks left.jpg
299 KB, 1095x1457
>>339392283
> not going to come out until next generation
Why is that? It was supposed to ship alongside the other HMDs but Sony said the demand was higher than what they were expecting so they pushed it to October in order to make more launch units.
So in the end it was delayed but not for the usual reasons, I don't see why you say that.

>Due to how close the screens are to the eyes 90 hz refresh rate is a dire necessity or else tearing is extremely noticeable.
The lowest a game runs at in PSVR is 90hz, but the most common will probably be 120hz (since 90Hz has to be native 90fps, while 120Hz will mostly be native 60fps reprojected, which is the easiest path for most devs)

>I do not understand how they can sell a VR headset for the price they are mentioning.
They admited PSVR could be even cheaper. It could have launched at $350 or perhaps even less, but they wanted to ship it with the splitter box for the VR > TV local co-op gimmick

>A ton of my colleagues are working on VR and nobody understands what Sony is doing.
Well they should probably contact sony. They are seeking devs and will send devkits for free and help, as well as a dev-only forum for discussion on the matter. If they have any doubts and don't want to port to PSVR they could still contact sony, I'm sure they will respond.
Or perhaps tell them to watch some conference, there have been 2 or 3 half-hour long explanations from the PSVR engineers themselves, look up on youtube
>>
>>339393208
Oh, hey there, 2 weeks left guy. Still not changed your filename?
>>
>>339394015
what about it? Did I miss something or..
>>
>>339394232
There can't very well be two weeks left at all times now can there.
>>
>>339388231
$150? That is grossly overestimating. The screen is not part of the technology (yes you can argue that), the 'technology' that makes this shit supposedly appealing are the fresnel lenses (cheap), and the acceleratorometers (cheap).

The screen is nothing impressive unlike what the shills want you to believe. Strapping some shitty 1080 or even 1440 display to your face and then looking at it through what is effectively a magnifying glass is a fucking terrible thing in practice.
>>
File: arianna.png (277 KB, 1024x543) Image search: [Google]
arianna.png
277 KB, 1024x543
>>339394382
I guess DaS3 already released, so no. But I can't be bothering changing the name
>>
File: cuck.jpg (187 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
cuck.jpg
187 KB, 633x758
>>339388231
>>339388231
DELETE THIS
>>
It would be worth if it was a "you wear it and literally any 3D game becomes VR", but that not being the case it's shit.
>>
>>339388231
Poorfag spotted
>>
>>339388231
Screens are more comfortable anyways.
>>
>>339394834
That's a pretty fuckin unrealistic place to draw the line, anon

VR isn't magic
>>
>>339395468
I dunno, it's not that unreasonable at a first glance. After all, you've already got the 3D engine, how hard could it be to put another camera in there and control it with your head?
The idea falls to pieces when it turns out that VR games have different design requirements from most flat games, of course.
>>
File: HotasWarthog800x600.jpg (34 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
HotasWarthog800x600.jpg
34 KB, 800x600
>it's just a joystick and some buttons
>$300
>>
>>339392283
Sony WAS legitimately trying to be the 'spoiler' for this generational attempt at VR. They were sincerely attempting to make VR fail as an industry. But they failed at failing, their plan was contingent on being the first out the door by months worth of time, not last by over a year. It will be PS4.5 exclusive and just more quickly-forgotten bullshit, like all their other camera/motion peripherals.

The Xboneroner+Oculus partnership news if the real interesting (and frightening) shit now. They could possibly succeed in creating a foothold of a closed VR ecosystem (succeeding on Xboneroner where Oculus on PC has already completely failed)
>>
>>339397791
Okay that's probably the stupidest thing I've read in a VR thread, and I've read some goddamn stupid shit in VR threads.
>>
>>339397921
Never underestimate a Yakuza Megacorps wickedness, or Sonys, in particular, petty spitefulness.
>>
Ok order those components and make a build guide, champ.
>>
Honestly, it is one thing if the Oculus or Vive was in the $300-350 price range, but the $600-800 premium these are carrying with next to no content? Fuck that shit.

I do want to experience VR and I hope it does evolve more, but the way it was handled was shit all around for everyone involved.
>>
>>339398093
More like never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity. Which you don't even need here, really.
I don't know if you're planning on getting into VR, but if you do, I'd recommend taking the tinfoil hat off first for improved comfort.
>>
how much better are these than the ones that just use your phone?
>>
>>339388231
Dont care, still buying it.

Who are you trying to help here anon? What do you have to gain?
>>
>>339394604
>2k oled display
>almost twice the size of the average resolution used world wide even with tablet inflation

>headset/controllers are mocapped
>physically aiming with your arms and dodging with your body

Ya it's nothing special.
>>
>>339390245
No it's not. You are wrong.

Don't forget the head tracking, motion control, lenses and software.
>>
>>339398417
No phone can do positional tracking right now. So, a lot better.
>>
>>339397791
This.

Sony is eager to fuck up the VR movement just to stunt PC sales.

Sony are notorious for abandoning new hardware innovations and lazily copying competitors
>>
>>339391842
If this thing could work on PCs it could be successful.
>>
>>339398445
Exactly! It's good tech used well. I swear to god most people on /v/ are fucking retarded. Why even bother posting anymore when nobody listens?
>>
File: This makes me angry.jpg (52 KB, 533x900) Image search: [Google]
This makes me angry.jpg
52 KB, 533x900
>Oculus funds the development of certain games to help VR have content
>They make it exclusive to their own store so they can try to make more money off of the sales
>Since they're funding it, they only spend time making it work on the Rift
>This all makes sense and is fine

>Someone makes a hack that makes the Oculus-exclusive games playable on the Vive
>Oculus warns that it's a hack and you can't trust it and that updates could break compatibility at any time
>That seems a little heavy-handed, but Oculus wants to emphasize that they aren't responsible if you buy an Oculus-exclusive game for your Vive and it ends up not working
>Still makes sense and is reasonable

>Oculus updates their software to specifically break the hack that makes Oculus-exclusive games playable on the Vive
>They spent time and money working on an update that makes it so Oculus-exclusive games MUST be played on their hardware
>Anti-consumer as fuck, makes no attempt to try to justify themselves
>Realize that they just want to lock people into the Oculus ecosystem, make it so that people need to stick with Oculus products forever or else they'll lose access to stuff they bought through the Oculus store

The Rift I had preordered was already on its way when this news came out, so I just sold it immediately as it arrived. I think I'm just going to be sitting this generation of VR out.
>>
>>339400110
Why not use the money you got from selling the Rift for a Vive? I hear they ship pretty quickly.
Plus it looks like people already got around that DRM thing.
>>
>>339398534
Software is literally the only expensive thing because it has an arbitrary price. The other stuff needed can be bought for very very cheap and put together with minimal effort.
>>
>>339388231
The free market decides the price.
>>
File: image.jpg (198 KB, 920x900) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
198 KB, 920x900
>>339388231
DELETE THIS
VR IS THE FUTURE
>>
>>339400257
>>339400110

What is even more retarded that apparently Oculus sells Rifts at a loss, so they get money back from game sales. Up until now Revive (Rift emulator for Vive) required a game to be bought from store as it did not try to bypass it.
Now when they DRMed the entire thing, dev of Revive said fuck it and remade Revive to bypass that shit.

Before they did not have to sell a device at a loss and sold games for pure profit. Now they basically forced piracy upon themselves.
>>
>>339400850
Hahahahaha wow you're so cool. I guess you must be right.
>>
>>339400850
But, literally anon, it is.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.