[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tomb Raider
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: Lara_Croft_(2013).png (143 KB, 641x1246) Image search: [Google]
Lara_Croft_(2013).png
143 KB, 641x1246
I just finished Tomb Raider DE and I really liked the most part of it.
But, is it me, or is the new Lara a massmurdering psychopath?
Can't remember the old Lara was such a Rambo.
>>
File: rich.png (191 KB, 265x289) Image search: [Google]
rich.png
191 KB, 265x289
I doubt you're older than 20.
>>
>>339375914
I'm 28 faggot and played the old TR games on my PS1/2 as a kid.
>>
Nah, Lara was always kinda murdering everyone. The difference between the older Lara and the new one is that the old one didn't dick around trying to make it seem like she was weak, new to the act, and couldn't stomach it. In the older games she was willing to fight anyone who got in her way and kicked ass. In the new games Lara spends multiple hours of the game reassuring herself, saying, "You can do this," while killing hundreds of enemies in pretty brutal ways.

I personally don't mind when games try to humanize characters and make them react to the killing they have to do, but the new Tomb Raider did it poorly since you're constantly switching between scenes where she's vulnerable and scared but then are asked to mow down tons of enemies a minute later.
>>
The new lara makes her own tampons
>>
>>339376229
I get what you're saying, but being able to compartmentalize is a crucial aspect of warfare. She could be terrified of what's to come but, in the moment, able to perform as necessary because she goes from overthinking to not thinking much at all.
>>
>>339376229
>I personally don't mind when games try to humanize characters and make them react to the killing they have to do, but the new Tomb Raider did it poorly since you're constantly switching between scenes where she's vulnerable and scared but then are asked to mow down tons of enemies a minute later.

Thats exactly what I meant. It portraits her as a psychopath, constantly switching between "OMG what happens here." and "I'm gonna kill this sucka.!!"

Does the second part portrait her better then this one?
>>
>>339376038
I doubt you have any taste
>>
>>339376520
>I doubt you have any taste
>>
>>339376427
Sure, I totally agree. Despite that though it is jarring to have her nearly whimpering and constantly talking to herself in one scene then be asked to get on a minigun and mow down a group of enemies.

Necessary, but jarring. Especially since it doesn't feel like she really develops much throughout. Even at the end of the game she is constantly yelling and gasping. Far Cry 3 did it a little better where the main character is shaken up at first, but a couple hours later is good to go.
>>
>>339376496
>Does the second part portrait her better then this one?

No idea. Didn't enjoy the new TR so I wasn't interested in the sequel. I've heard it is better though since she's now established and isn't new to combat.
>>
>>339376848
she still seems to be too wymynly for what she went through. A monument of shitty writing and corporate pandering to normies and the pc crowd
>>
>>339376747
Do you think it would have worked better to have her freaking out after a battle? Obviously, there's got to be a healthy balance between depicting a realistic reaction to startling events without making the player bored.

I've only played the 2013 one, not Rise, so I don't know how she handles there. She was constantly psyching herself up when she was alone but tended to lean on other characters when she had the option (except when other characters were breathtakingly dumb, like that bullshit archaeologist), which made a lot of sense to me as a battered survivor who just wants it to end mixed with a survivor's instincts keeping her from truly relaxing.

I suppose that I accept her characterization as relatively genuine because I can empathize with it. When I was working at a morgue, every morning was filled with that hesitation that comes of being afraid of seeing or smelling or touching something truly gruesome, horrible, or saddening, but actually being in the autopsy suite and doing the work you get over it and do what needs to be done. There was always an initial little shock upon seeing the bodies, especially if they were mangled, burned, or young, but then you did your job. So I can understand Lara feeling the same way: hesitation and fear but then moving on, both physically and mentally because you have to.
>>
>>339377093
>wymynly

The fuck is that? Either way, it's really just bad writing. Tons of stories mess that up, it's poor pacing. Having a character develop naturally and realistically in an unrealistic scenario is tough. Still, I think anyone playing the game could see that making her say, "You can do this Lara," after she's already killed like 50 armed men is silly.

Thankfully what I've seen and heard of the sequel seems better. Doesn't interest me though because the gameplay looked boring.
>>
>>339377385
I think my main issue was that she kept freaking out even after accepting what she had to do long ago. Freaking out the first, second, hell, even seventh time I get. Armed crazed men, freaky shit. But after competently saving friends, fending off large groups of enemies, and holding your own in the wilderness the constant self pep talks and whimpering became odd.

Taking your scenario for example that hesitation is completely understandable since you'd go from tense work, to the comfort of home, back to tense work. But in the game Lara is constantly under tense circumstances. So it was kinda odd for her to then basically go back to a freak out when she's always being attacked or thrown into the fray.

Honestly though, it could've been done way worse. I think it just annoyed me since it didn't mesh with the way I was playing. If it felt like I constantly escaped fights by the skin of my teeth it'd make more sense. But you tear through enemies in that game.
>>
I liked it too. I'm glad you enjoyed your vidya, OP. Video games are good.
>>
>>339377570

>the sequel seems better. Doesn't interest me though because the gameplay looked boring.

Gameplay wise, the sequel is almost exactly the same as TR2013. They really took no risks whatsoever to make it different or expand upon it. That's the most disappointing thing about Rise.

Story wise, it's different. She's portrayed in a Batman-esque troubled/obsessed way, obsessed with cracking the mystery of what her father was exploring when he died. It could have been a very deep and interesting angle to portray Lara from, but it wasn't well executed.
>>
>>339375807
Its because they made her boob and butt so much smaller. more boylike.
She just doesn't know who she is supposed to be anymore.
We need those faggots to bring back the good old Lara from TR 2 or 3. Hell actually i think TR Revelations had the biggest bestest boobs of all.
I guess the TR game designer are all LGBT liberal feminist homos and women now.
>>
Just don't pay attention to the narrative of the reboot.

The more you think about it, the less it makes sense altogether.
>>
>>339380760
>Its because they made her boob and butt so much smaller. more boylike.

Her tits are the same size, she just has more normal proportions so they look smaller.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.