[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
GOG, Steam or other anon. which do you prefer?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (124 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
124 KB, 1280x720
GOG, Steam or other anon. which do you prefer?
>>
Steam! I already have a cute avatar and cute background and pictures of my cute cat and stuffed animals on my Steam profile!
>>
>>339342643
gog
>>
The Pirate Bay
>>
>>339342643

Prefer? How about using whichever has the game cheapest like me
>>
>>339342643
GOG. It's the closest thing to a traditional transaction. I give you money dollars, you give me thing.

I can back it up so it isn't locked to an account, I can do whatever I want with it. No extraneous software to install. It's great.
>>
>>339342821
Hey, if it gets the game in your hands ;)
>>
>>339342928
I can have my friend download the same game from my account and we can play it together. can't do that with steam
>>
>want game
>check all stores
>compare prices
>buy from whichever store offers the best value

If you do anything else, you're a disgusting fanboy and you hate capitalism. I don't know of any other kind of mental disease which would cause someone to buy from the store with the higher price.
>>
>>339342643
Steam

>muh drm

Considering I have access to my stream games but have lost all my game cds I really don't care. And cloud saves are icing on the cake.
>>
I like both and buy from both. Although I never buy the same game on both platforms - only if it's cheaper, or an exclusive.

I wish GOG Galaxy was more of a thing though. No games really use it for multiplayer, and achievments and cross-platform MP seem to be a pipe dream.
>>
Lots of great sales from Humble got me into Steam, so Steam is most used. GOG forever though. Those guys rule, and the community is much cooler.
>>
>>339343386
>achievements
>in my classic games

god no
>>
>>339343210
because you rather use their client, and support that site?
You're not wrong about wanting to get the cheaper price, but if you think anything else means someone hates capitalism, than you don't know what capitalism means
I wouldn't buy it from a website that makes me prick my finger for a dna test as part of the drm, no matter the discount
Likewise, I won't buy something off steam compared to gog if its only 50 cents cheaper
>>
>>339343705
I take back what I said about cheevos, friend. I don't really care about them. But the thing I ws getting at was that the GOG Galaxy doesn't seem to be fulfilling its promised features.
>>
>>339342643
kat.cr
>>
>>339343938
Their notoriously slow for rolling out features, just something to keep in mind.
>>
>>339342643
GOG by far
>>
>>339344015
Anons, this reminds me. I need your help.

My days of pirating games are long over, and I have spent an countless thousands for games on Steam, GOG, Humble, Xbox, PSN and Nintendo eShop games. I am a buyfag.

But I have never bought a music CD norr a movie/TV show in my life. Do I have any ground to stand on? Is it too late to spend thousnads of dollars on anime?
>>
>>339343705
Honestly, if there wasn't a pop up in the middle of the game for them, I wouldn't care.
>>
>>339343938
Probably because nobody wants or needs it.

>install games
>backup games
>update games

it's like gog for idiots.
>>
>>339344359
I think alot of people in tech realized you have to force something onto people if you want them to use it sometimes.
>>
>>339344359
No I mean, the thing I like about GOG is that they're a company with a vision, and have always taken the right steps. I consider them one of the very few companies that differentiate themselves from Volvo/Steam.

It's just strange how they'd hype the shit out of Galaxy, invest lots of resources into it, and then... it just kinda goes nowhere at all, for a really long time. It's mostly just a glorified version of the classic GOG Downloader, except you can't throttle your downloads. Why GOG,why?
>>
>>339342643
Steam all the way. It has its flaws but way ahead of the competion
>>
>>339342643
Steam > Origin > Uplay > gog.
>>
>>339344825
Whys dat?
>>
>>339344825
I have to admit, Origin is a pretty solid client and platform. I like it.

UPlay is pretty terrible though. And I'm not sure why GOG would be at the bottom.
>>
>>339344183
$10 an album is a goddamn ripoff for most of them
I wouldn't pay that price for 99% of the music I listen to not an exaggeration
doesnt help that all that music is more or less free on youtube
I still go to shows and spend lots of cash on merch, which most of their income comes from. That money goes straight into their hands no middle man
video game devs only have one source of income, video game sales
I also buy the cds and records of my favorites too
I have only pirated 2 games out of the hundreds I've played
Thats my (possibly flawed) justification for pirating music and not games
>>
>>339344901
never used the client, but the website has been shit the 2 times I've visited it
>>
>>339345052
Fair nuff
>>
>>339345052
The site is a bit butt, yes. But who the fuck would use Origin to browse for or play anything other than EA exclusives? No point in browsing the site, because you already know if you want via external means.

But yeah, the client is nice. Clean, fast, and minimal. Probably a testament to the Qt UI library. It really is quite pleasant. Though it's obviously no replacement for Steam, since it's got all the games and features like Workshop and Community Hubs and shit.
>>
>>339342643
GoG for when i want my game to not have any strings attached or when i want an optimized old game. I steam for the multiplayer.
>>
>>339345320
that sounds nice. maybe I would try it
if I had any interest in ea games, that is
>>339345504
>optimized old game
one of the best features
>>
>>339345786
Yep. Origin is decent enough to not make me angry when I'm forced to use it. That's all I can really ask for, outside of being on Steam. Though on the other hand, having Origin sitting is a good thing to have, because I don't want Volvo getting *too* cozy with their near-monopoly.
>>
>>339345786
Honestly they just stick a fan made patch on the game half the time.
>>
>>339346662
kinda funny
still infinitely more effort than steam puts forward, which is none of course
better than making me mess with it
>>
>>339344901
Uplay is pure trash, no one denying that one.
>>
>>339342643
GoG, has superior prices for Euro
>>
GoG's client is a little temperamental, but once they shape it up it should be a better one than Steam.
>>
>>339347840
I don't think it ever will. Steam does too much other stuff I like, such as cloud-saves and Workshop. And parodixically, I *don't* want Galaxy to do that extra stuff.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.