[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
are console gamers ok with buying a new console every 3-4 years now?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2
File: maxresdefault.jpg (64 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
64 KB, 1280x720
are console gamers ok with buying a new console every 3-4 years now?
>>
>>339323571
No, but PC gamers are okay with having hardware that becomes obsolete every 6 months.
>>
>>339323571
as long as i can trade in my old one for a steep discount, and the new one is completely backward-compatible to that library, yeah sure

ps4k is fine
>>
>>339323571
Yes.
They used to always make fun of PC gamers for updating their hardware every 3-4 years to keep up to date but now that console do it, it's okay.
Console only "gamers" are fucking retarded.
Also water is wet.
>>
>>339323780
My 680 still runs games fine on high at 1080p.
The only game that's given it issues so far is fallout 4 and I'm certain that's because of shitty optimization.
Overall I spent about $600 on building/upgrading my pc up until 2013 and no changes since then.
>>
My 2600k is still top of the line today.
>>
I'm not sure what the big deal is. The PS4 is just now getting games worth playing, and they are bringing out a shiny new more powerful console for those smart enough to wait.
You guys should of stopped buying western multiplat trash a long time ago.
>>
>>339323780
My HD6970 still runs game just fine, I might get a new graphics card next month.
>>
>>339323571
No but I'm OK with waiting for a few years for the library to develop while the original model getting a price drop or the new model being such a direct upgrade it's worth it.
>>
I have a fuck ton of disposable income so yes, bring that shit on
>>
File: Uncle Sam.jpg (33 KB, 317x377) Image search: [Google]
Uncle Sam.jpg
33 KB, 317x377
>>339323571
Same shit every year, only now the gaming community defense force is labeled as Gamer Gate.

Much like Kinect/PlayStation Move, the community is going to reject them until they can provide worthwhile games for the "core" gaming audience.

That is, unless backwards compatibility is involved. In which case, it's all aboard the rape train.
>>
>>339326341
You're basically who they are banking on. Whale hunting. It's going to fail. The console market is not high-end, but they are going to try and make it that way.
>>
depends on who you mean.

regular customers wait until a system has enough games to make it worth buying, so its not a huge deal to them.

to "early adopters" it is a huge deal. theyre the people who blindly buy hardware just for the potential software. the ps3, and now ps4 have pretty paltry releases compared to the ps1 and 2. hopefully this is an attempt to re-energize the console market and not a last chance to cash in. because early adopters are the kickstarters for console games being made in general.
>>
>>339323571
This is really fucking bullshit though.
Why is it that Microsoft and Sony both announce the same exact fucking new thing in the same exact fucking year?
PS4 and Xbox One are announced, then they come out. 3-4 years later, PS4k and Scorpio are announced (rumored).
I mean, is that not just a TAD bit strange that they are both making the same type upgrade to their consoles right on top of each other?
Who is behind this shit?
>>
>>339327805
if theres a new piece of tech on the block then its the only offering when it comes to the latest and greatest in tech. a beefy ps4 would spell doom for xbox if they didnt make competition. same for phones, previous console gens, etc. if it takes a year of more to compete it hurts really bad. remember the ps3?
>>
>>339323780
>buy reasonable PC hardware
>you can now play more games than before
>and the games you could already play now play better or look better

it's not hard to understand. You don't buy 'Remastered' versions of what you already own, it just gets better by merit of your hardware being better now. I own and play tons of consoles on top of owning multiple PCs, and it's just stupidity that people make such outrageous claims about having to buy PC parts twice a year.
>>
>>339327797
>regular customers wait until a system has enough games to make it worth buying
The PS4 is already at 40m, regular customers are clearly early adopters.

The term you're looking for is "smart consumers".
>>
>>339326997
>PS4.5
>backwards compatibility with PS3

If that happens, I'll stop talking shit about Sony forever.
>>
>>339323571
PC started this trend if you want to blame someone blame PC GAYMEN culture. Consoles are turning into under powered but nonetheless PCs in all but name.
>>
>>339328029
I get the concept of competition in an industry like this, and it's honestly just pathetic when it comes to this shit. But why the same exact thing. Microsoft announces an upgraded Xbone, Sony announces an upgraded PS4. Why couldn't one respond with something else to improve on what they already have without conceiving a new console that's a remastered version of the last one, or just make something new. And I mean fucking NEW.
>>
>>339327797
I think the hardware platforms are going to have be upfront about what the lifetime is going to look like for these new boxes. You have to wonder how many people would jump in on a new upgraded box just to play games that run on the older, cheaper system.

So that tells me they are going to purposely start gimping games for the old system and phasing out the lower priced console much quicker than maybe some think. They clearly want to sell profitable, full priced hardware more frequently rather than taking any kind of loss and banking on longevity and software sales on the back end.
>>
>>339328279
>Already sold all my ps3 games because PS4 didn't do that already
Fug
>>
No, own consoles and a good pc rig. Sticking to pc now this generations been shit. Might be tempted by nintendos nx but im a skeptic.
>>
>>339323571
I wouldn't be ok with it.
>>
There is no reason for me to buy the next ps4 if I have a launch model and it will still have all the game support. This hardware iteration only becomes a problem if it gets exclusive games like n3ds otherwise its just more options to the consumer.
>>
>>339329296
>There is no reason for me to buy the next ps4 if ... it will still have all the game support.
>just more options to the consumer
You really think they are going through the expense of hundreds of millions of dollars just to give more options? Expect new releases to start running much more poorly, much more quickly than you are anticipating.

They will technically "run" on your system, but they want you to migrate.
>>
>>339328604
yeah but even still it would be a lie.

as far as sony will tell you, the ps3 is still "alive".
>>
>$600 every 6 years
>$400 every 4 years with full forwards compatibility
It really is better, even if it tastes worse going down
>>
For now it's just rumors and speculation from websites that make money thanks to ads.
With the actual hardware and optimization they could do wonders, look at what they were able to do with the old generation consoles and their little specs.
>>
>>339329713
You're being stupid if you think they'll sabotage a 40 million strong installbase just to push new hardware on them. This hardware is being made primarily for new adopters and enthusiasts. The games will run fine, keep in mind a big chunck of them are going to be third party games anyway and they need their games to perform as best they can upon release
>>
>>339327805
Maybe they're both responding the the same market forces and consumer demands? Why do Pepsi and Coke both do so many of the same things?
>>
>>339323780
>Obsolete
How does it feel knowing console hardware was dated when they launch?
>>
>>339329953
There's nothing about forwards/backwards compatibility that requires making generations shorter. The kind of hardware that goes into game consoles is starting to approach the wall. We've already reached what might be the last die shrink that makes chips cheaper.

Software already takes years and years to get out the door, even with teams that drift into the hundreds. Generations should be getting longer, regardless of how that might sit with the companies licensing the chips and engines.
>>
>>339331379
bloodborne
>>
>>339330909
>You're being stupid if you think they'll sabotage a 40 million strong install base just to push new hardware on them.
The console industry is in the process of contracting back to what looks like 5th gen numbers. That's a big problem for where budgets have ballooned to. They absolutely are going to try and push new hardware -- otherwise they wouldn't have spent hundreds of millions of dollars putting it together.
>>
>>339325428
>>339325837
>>339328092
>>339331379
Ya fell for the bait guys. He knows you were gonna say your hardware like that.
>>
>>339329953
>fowards
>no backwards
>>
>>339328779
>own consoles and a good pc rig. Sticking to pc now this generations been shit.

I feel the same way. I will keep my ps4 and xbox but I will not buy the "upgraded" systems. These systems have very little games to play and now we have to buy new systems in the middle of the current shit tier console generation.

I used to own consoles mainly to play shit like Halo and weeb games. Well a shit load of JRPG weeb games are now coming to pc so thank god for that.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.