[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What Difficulty?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 151
Thread images: 16
File: difficulty.jpg (142 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
difficulty.jpg
142 KB, 500x500
hey /v/ I'm curious what difficulty you play. On the first run through of a game.

I personally will always go for the hardest option I can pick, Idk why, I guess I just like a bigger challenge.
>>
>>339292157
Always Hard, or the equivalent. Rarely above it, never below it.
>>
>>339292157
Always the hardest unless it's a series or genre I've never played before. Then I'll go for the second hardest.
>>
>>339292157
Medium. See what the developers had in mind. Hard if I enjoy it enough to go for more challenge or think medium is too easy, easy if I want to do a rerun and I'm more interested in the story.
>>
>>339292157
Depends on the game. Sometimes the harder modes are just the same enemies but with larger health pools. Sometimes I test the water with normal and see if I can go harder.

Dugeons of dredmor I had to choose easy the game is just that hard. Somehow clearing it on elvishly easy still is one of my most rare achievements.
>>
>>339292909
Depending on the game the increase in health will necessitate changing tactics or being more or less daring but yeah, if the biggest difference is just more tedium because of bigger health bars then it's hardly worth it. Adding new enemies and increasing the numbers is a bit different, though.
>>
>>339292157
Really depends on the game. Something like an FPS it's always the hardest mode, but in RPGs I won't if I either just want to roleplay/play the story or if the "harder difficulty" just means you have to grind for longer before fighting each boss.
>>
If it results in a difference in enemy behavior/layout, level design or alternate paths then the hardest one available, if it's just increased enemy health or some shit like that then normal.
>>
Hard from birth - university

Easy since I got a job
>>
Depends what the Strategy Guide or FAQ Walkthrough I'm using suggests I play at.
>>
File: 0270 - 9LcvKwH.jpg (27 KB, 183x200) Image search: [Google]
0270 - 9LcvKwH.jpg
27 KB, 183x200
>>339292157
if it's a singleplayer i'll do medium

if it's multiplayer i work my way up from normal to the hardest because that's the whole point of playing multiplayer is to advance your skill with others
>>
Either Medium or Hard.

Depends on the game and how good are you at said genre, sometimes I just start on medium and see if I'm not challanged in the frist hour I change to hard.
>>
>>339292460
This.
>>
>>339292157
Normal.
>>
File: 1447467043824.jpg (19 KB, 239x207) Image search: [Google]
1447467043824.jpg
19 KB, 239x207
I don't recall Warcraft 3 having an "Easy" difficulty setting, anon.
Are you baiting me?
>>
>>339293360

What mutiplayer games have difficulty settings?
>>
>>339292157
Normal, because 99% of games have shit balancing and enemies just turn into bullet sponges or deal 100% damage with each attack
>>
>>339293805
KF and games like that. I think he's talking coop, not pvp.
>>
>>339292157
It depends entirely on the game and the genre. I like a good challenge so with modern games I usually play on hard unless the difficulty just adds HP bloat (which will not make fights harder but more tedius). With old school games or indie games I usually go with normal/medium since they are often tailored toward a more hardcore audience. Note that I almost exclusively play RPGs.
With city builder games and strategy I often play normal cause I suck at them, even though I like to play them.
>>
>>339293778
you can choose easy after loosing in that mission before
>>
>>339293805
>>339293936
ya co-op games like KF and ME3's MP which is amazing and is the battered hot wife that's chained to it's shitty singleplayer
>>
File: 0122 - 5doGrDG.png (126 KB, 399x388) Image search: [Google]
0122 - 5doGrDG.png
126 KB, 399x388
>Game only has Easy or Hard mode.
>>
http://www.learntocounter.com/on-difficulty/
>>
File: difficulty-settings.jpg (9 KB, 308x95) Image search: [Google]
difficulty-settings.jpg
9 KB, 308x95
>>339294173
>game only has easy or very easy
>>
>>339292157
Always the easiest diffculty. Why? I'm a gaming journalist and the less time I spend doing something I care nothing about, the longer I can spend furthering problematic political agendas and distracting myself from the fact that nobody likes me and that I have wasted years of my life with a useless arts/English degree
>>
>>339292157
depends on the game. games that provides a solid challenge like ninja gaiden than sure but on mind numbing games like rpgs then fuck no.

>play scott pilgrim beat em up
>put on hard
>everyone takes a bazillion hits before they die
>majority of time you're looking for a pitfall to throw them in
>>
>>339292157

I generally go for the medium option under the assumption it's the experience the developers intended. But then, I usually play RPGs, so immersing myself in the world and story is more important than the gameplay for me.
>>
Always play the hardest difficulty available, unless you are some sort of casual
>>
Normal if I've never played it or any previous entry in the series. Hard if I have.
>>
>>339294472
>normal difficulty
20h
>hard difficulty
38h

which one would you pick? obviously the shorter one right because you have better games to play.
>>
>>339294472
but what if i'm going to review the game?
I don't want to be harassed by difficult enemies or challenging environments.
Skill shouldn't be a factor in how good a game is.
>>
Hardest difficulty on game series I'm familiar with. Normal if it's something new.
>>
The only real answer is to play on the difficulty the game was balanced for. I like to play on hard when I can but sometimes it's just inane shit like enemies simply cheat.
>>
File: 1447333375850.jpg (8 KB, 238x250) Image search: [Google]
1447333375850.jpg
8 KB, 238x250
>>339293994
Are you fucking kidding me?
How in the name of fucks did i never get that?
I always played on hard and never had any issues, what the flying fuck.
>>
>>339292909
Dungeons of dredmor is really hard, but I still play it on hard because I can barely get by still, and I won't feel as bad when I inevitably die by my own stupid mistake. Dying against Dredmor is enough for me.
>>
Usually normal. Hard mode more often than not will only mean tougher enemies which turns them into bullet sponges.
>>
Depends on the game. Ys series for instance are better at Hard since that's the difficulty where everything is challenging but fair.

On some RPGs like SMT Nocturne the game is balanced around Normal, with hard just adding more damage dealt, prevent you from fleeing battles, increasing shop princes and/or making enemies move first more often.
>>
easy because i'm a noob and likes easy stuffs
>>
>>339294376
lol hilarious dude games journalism is real bad amirite go die
>>
>>339294608
Show me all the no skill games that are considered the best. I truly mean no skill required, as in an actual 4-5 year old could pick it up and get through it.
>>
>>339294608
Then play normal, and be a good enough reviewer to realize how an increase in difficulty may have pros and cons regarding to how it's designed.
>>
File: 1460918365084.gif (1 MB, 508x583) Image search: [Google]
1460918365084.gif
1 MB, 508x583
On most rpgs that have ng+ ill play through first on easy to enjoy the story, then through ng+ on hard to complete the game and fight superbosses/collect all items/etc.
>>
File: 1408668060802.jpg (62 KB, 640x483) Image search: [Google]
1408668060802.jpg
62 KB, 640x483
One setting above "normal."

If there are varying levels of hardness (e.g. Hard, Very Hard, Nightmare, etc.) this way I just start with "Hard."
>>
>>339292157
Depends, if the game is "hard" only because everything is a bullet sponge i go normal but if the game is hard because you die in one hit but you can kill the same i go hard more.
>>
>>339292157
Almost always easiest or one of the easier modes, if it's really no challenge whatsoever I'll make it harder.

I like feeling powerful in games and not dying every 10 seconds, so long as I do have to put some amount of focus and effort in I'll enjoy it heavily. Also, for games that have good narratives I'm usually more interested in that so for the sake of progression I won't make the game really hard.
>>
>>339292790
This.

Generally devs just make the harder modes tedious and less fun.
>>
>>339292157
Hardest because games nowadays are handholding babby parties.
>>
>>339294971
pokemon
FFVII
Danganronpa

those are on the top of my head. not my kind of games but thats what /v/ talks about the most that requires no fucking skill.
>>
>>339292157
medium
I feel like it's the way the devs intended it to be, rarely will hard be the better game mode.
Most likely values of health pools & damage will just be tweaked to be higher, which is dumb
>>
>>339292790
Essentially this.
>>
Usually medium, only hard if I know the game and want a challenge. I play Doom on HMP, and HNTR when the readme or a reviewer suggests to tone it down one level from what you usually do.
If the game's too easy or too hard, I'll just adjust if I don't feel like gitting gud/the game isn't worth it
>>
It depends on the country the game came out of. Medium - Hard for American/European games, Easy for the Japanese stuff because they're fucking brutal

Action/non-RPGs (FPS, Brawlers, Fighters, etc.) receive the hardest difficulty. RPGS get medium. RTS, City Sims and other management games get the easy difficulty because I suckered at those.

The only exceptions so far are the Witcher series and Dragon Age.
>>
I have an awful habit of starting games on medium, feeling like they're too easy, and then resetting them to make sure I get an actual challenge out of them.
>>
>>339295948
That is why you should just go hard even if your nervous about it.
>>
>>339295741
>Dragon Age: Origins
>Hardest difficulty
>The Deep Roads

I still have PTSD from it
>>
>>339292157
If there's 3 options, I always pick Hard. But if there's 4 or more I usually pick the 2nd Hardest, though it depends on the game.
Normal in most cases is the old easy mode, and easy mode is basically "story" mode for retards.
>>
Really depends on the game. I started Witcher III on Death March because it is widely recommended by most people, not just /v/ elitists. And it was a good idea.

Most shooters I play on Normal or the equivalent due to the difficulty essentially being me dying in three bullets and I have to empty half a magazine into an enemy to bring them down OR one to the head but half of headshots are read as body shots.

For fighting games I generally pick hardest because you are gonna lose to the CPU due to them input reading at will, they don't do anything clever.

I don't see a point in bothering to up the difficulty in the more "casual" games like Collectathon Platformers or most JRPGs. I'm there for the ride or to get my grind fix out of the way.

I have no interest in Strategy or RTS outside of a sandbox mode.
>>
This entire thread is a circle jerk of "omg I'm so cool cause I play on hard."

The vast majority of games "hard mode" is increased health and damage from enemies. Don't act like you are some skilled player cause you play hard. Play normal. The recommenced experience.
>>
Whatever the hardest difficulty is.
However, I never go for ironman shit (stuff that makes you replay the whole game if you lose)
>>
>>339292157
If you play any game that gives this option on anything other than the hardest available mode, you're a casual.

The absolute worst practice is locking difficulties behind play throughs of the game. It's a bullshit and companies need to stop this immediately. Im only playing your shit game once
>>
File: DISGUSTING.jpg (29 KB, 300x260) Image search: [Google]
DISGUSTING.jpg
29 KB, 300x260
>>339297864
Even worse when the god damn faggots hide collectibles and sometimes fucking moments in said difficulty you have to unlock.
Fuck anyone who does this.
>>
>>339297864
>playing on hard mode

Show me the ways of being cool anon! I want to be frustrated and die every 10 seconds in my games, only casuals want to actually "play them" and "have fun" right?
>>
>>339292157
I usually try the hardest If I can. I think the only ones I don't do it for are Musou games since I get one-shotted by almost everything on Chaos.
>>
>>339292157
Normal usually, but if the game implores I play on a higher difficulty I will.
>>
Normal for first runs or the average rerun. Easy if I just wanna blow through it and hard if I liked it and want to try it again with some actual challenge.
>>
>>339298003
This.
If I had all the time in the world to become autistically good at games I would. And I enjoy a challenge.
But fuck going through that angering bullshit.
>>
>>339292157
Depends if it's story based or not. If it is, easy mode all the way. If it's not and there is no differences between normal and hard except for Enemies being bigger hullet sponges and doing more damage. Normal mode.

Hard mode ony when there are MAJOR differences, like for example Valkyrie profile
>>
>>339292157

Medium on the first run through.
If the game deserves a replay I'll increase the difficulty otherwise it joins the other games on the shelf.
>>
>singleplayer
>hard mode
>no rewards

tell me why should i even consider. no one cares if you beat a game on hard
>>
For my first run I'll always pick the second hardest option, if I end up really liking the game, I get extra replayability by being able to do a rerun on the hardest difficulty.
>>
>>339298003
>not having fun by challenging yourself and fitting gud
Fucking underage casuals
>>
File: 1351889456006.jpg (261 KB, 1064x803) Image search: [Google]
1351889456006.jpg
261 KB, 1064x803
>>339292157
This picture gave me wc3 feels
>>
>>339292157

Usually medium or hard depending on the game. Ill switch it to hard if im not enjoying it.
>>
>>339299017
This here.

I have far to many games to go full EXPERT MODE NO MISS 100% tryhard on everything.
>>
>>339292157
If 3 options, then the hardest, if 4-5, then the second hardest. Hard difficulty just makes the roleplaying easier - i just cannot believe that the protagonist is in any danger when i am killing the enemies without breaking a sweat
>>
>>339299880
>DBZ Tribute
I want to play that again
>>
>>339292157
Depends

>Is the difficulty set by making enemies smarter and the game requires you to have better reactions?
Hard

>Is the difficulty set by increasing enemy damage and health?
Easy. Fuck that.
>>
>>339292157

Medium for first play through, hard later on. If it's a series I'm familiar with, I'll start with hard.

Games like Shogun 2 and Stalker I started with medium, but now I can't have fun unless I'm playing it modded and on hard difficulties.
>>
easiest offered because I'm a baby who is bad at games & just wants to enjoy atmosphere, story & fun :^)
>>
I'll always pick the hardest difficulty available because i don't replay games often, and if i do that's even better
>>
Why can't FE add in a difficulty inbetween Hard and Lunatic? Normal and Hard are so easy that you can do whatever you want, but on Lunatic you can spend 2 hours planning out a perfect tactic and then lose at the end to a 1% crit.
>>
>>339292157
Easy if is a JRPG, since the only difference there is how much grinding you have to do before going forward.

Hard if is an Horror game or one filled with puzzles and interesting ways to achieve your objectives.

Medium with everything else.
>>
>>339292157
Always the hardest. I just hate when the real hardest is an unlockable for beating it on another mode.
>>
>>339297656
>recommenced

recommence my balls bro, fucking casual
>>
>>339299880
this image is lacking so many of the best maps
>>
>>339296236
>Golems of Amgarak
>Nightmare

I only did that once for that item. FUCK THAT BOSS.
>>
File: 1434195187765.jpg (61 KB, 600x452) Image search: [Google]
1434195187765.jpg
61 KB, 600x452
>>339292157
Medium is usually what devs intended, then you go hard if it's getting boring.
>>
>>339298617
This is probably the reason I haven't been enjoying Witcher 3 as much as I used to before I got a job and started school again. I don't own many games that I can play for two hours at most except maybe Warframe.
>>
>>339292790
this
>>
>>339292157
Easiest possible.

My first run is meant to be enjoyable, I can always go back and up it for replays.
>>
>>339292157
Medium. If I like game enough to replay it, I then do hard or higher level difficulty.
Unfrotunally it's more often just annoying than actually hard. Especially in shooters, where enemies starts to have infinite amount of grenades or headshot stops being enough to kill them.
I really enjoyed 'realistic' (or called somehow like that) difficulty in first far cry. Both you and enemies could barely take couple of bullets.
>>
>>339301307
Just get alternate cast Quen (you can have it by the ti you leave White Orchard. and you are good up until you get a set of witcher armor. Put that shit on as well as the complimentary skill and Death March becomes what Normal should have been.
>>
As of this year:

Very Easy for Smash, 5 stock
Kid rated for Viewtiful Joe
Kid mode for Spiderman 64
Safety for Persona Q
Phoenix mode for Fire emblem fates
Easy CPU for Blazblue Chorno phantasm
Easy for Tekken 1-4 fuck normal AI
Bottom route Star fox 643D.

Meh.
>>
Normal/Medium

Only easy when my casualness shines through on my first try, like with FE Awakening
>>
>>339301728
Star Fox 64 3Ds original difficulty is considered easy mode, then there is Nintendo 64 mode as normal and an unlockable Expert is considered hard. Taking the blue path is not easy mode, it's just not the true ending.
>>
>>339301728

Oh yeah also forgot:

Very easy EZtranq run for MGS3/4
Easy DMC4 run.
Watched a letsplay of Daganronpa
>>
If it's a genre that I'm unfamiliar with or there are warning in the game to temper your expectation of the difficulty, I'll start on easy. Otherwise I usually do medium. If I really liked the game then I'll probaboy feel prepared to do hard next time.
>>
File: make your selection, now.png (25 KB, 539x632) Image search: [Google]
make your selection, now.png
25 KB, 539x632
>>339292157
Uh-oh, /v/.
What do we do?
>>
Mountain Climbing.
>>
I can't ever really decide.

If I start and like a game on normal mode I'll probably return to play it on hard mode, but at the same time I feel like I'm missing out if I don't start on hard mode and I feel like I'm a shitter.

At the same time if the game isn't that good or just has some annoying bullshit because of hard mode I end up not having a good time because of it.
>>
>>339292157
For shooters and RPGs the hardest difficulty and for everything else the second hardest because you need to know the mechanics of the game in order to win.
>>
Normal
>>339302202
3/4 in this case
>>
Normal difficulty for first playthroughs.

Easy for second playthroughs, unless there's a NG+ with carry-overs, for the sole purpose of dicking around.

Hard mode whenever I get around to it.

Unreasonable fuck-you difficulty basically never, because I'm kind of a casual.
>>
>>339292157
if its a genre im not confident in (or a complicated stratergy game) i will go medium first time, if its of a genre im familiar with i will go hardest i can go,
>>
>>339292157
In the past I would always play games on Hard, but nowadays I usually pick Medium because most games these days put zero effort into making the game actually more difficult rather than more tedious. If the game is actually a good game that makes me want to replay it then I can pick Hard later on. Few games these days are that good though.
>>
>>339292157

Normal/Medium. seems that that's the experience the devs designed the game for, and it gives replay value to try playing it again at the harder difficulty later.
>>
Always the hardest.
>>
>>339292790
This.

Games are balanced for medium.
>>
Hard unless it's an RTS because I'm garbage at those.
>>
Always medium, play hard if I like it

A lot of games hard mode is just "Enemies have more health and do more damage" which would just piss me off on a first playthrough
>>
>>339292157
I hate when a game has difficulty options. I feel like I'm missing out unless I'm on the hardest mode, and sometimes the hardest is just too hard. Then I stop playing the game
>>
>>339292157
Torment X.
>>
File: 1410866574391.gif (43 KB, 496x497) Image search: [Google]
1410866574391.gif
43 KB, 496x497
first I check if difficulty affects trophies/achievements, if not then easy

If so, i'll only play hard if the rest of the trophies are easy to get, if they're too hard, i won't waste my time and just go for medium
>>
>>339292157
Depends on the game.
Most games that offer difficulty in the first place aren't that hard, so hard is the way to go. In some games it's necessary so you don't shit on everything halfway through (muramasa, the new xcom games).
In some cases however hard increases how tedious the game in such a way that it isn't worth it for a first playthrough. (e.g. nocturne multiplies all item prices by 3, which make the magatama a real pain to buy).
>>
>>339304325
>Diablo III
>Difficulty levels
More like gear tiers, especially since Rifts scale to the amount of players now.
>>
File: IMG_20160526_163945.jpg (15 KB, 244x199) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160526_163945.jpg
15 KB, 244x199
>>339292157
If triple a the hardest option it has

If some shit I dont know anything about just normal
>>
>>339304325
>torment X
>first run through of the game
Not to mention it's feasibly impossible without certain gear criteria.
>>
>>339304325
>playing the game first on torment x
>Torment x which doesn't unlock until you hit level cap
>>
>>339292157
Easy. I'm a faggot.
>>
>>339304325
>first playthrough
>>
>>339292157
If its the 4 mode then hard since VH tends to be just one way of playing and a bit stupid otherwise in a 3 setting I go hard.
>>
>>339292157
>Play Kingdom Hearts DDD on normal
>Every boss is a sponge and requires you to do a cheesy tactic a million times to kill it
>Play on easy
>Just bearable.
Am I a casul?
>>
>>339294971
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTdQ7Xx4Q34
>>
>>339307187
DDD is a shitty entry in the series anyways. I wasn't having trouble beating anything when I played it, I just stopped because I was so fucking bored.
>>
>>339292790
This with a side of sometimes looking into what "hard" means.
Because if that shit is simply "100 whacks instead of 10 to kill a dude" with nothing else tweaked challenge wise, then sign me up for baby town because I don't got time for that shit.
>>
If its only two or three options then the hardest. Four or more I usually choose the one right before the hardest and up one if it too easy or I feel like it.
>>
>>339292157

Hard because i like getting frustrated over videogames and achievements
>>
Game I've played before (or series) -> Hard
Otherwise, -> Normal

Nothing like replaying DMC4 on Hard. So much fun.
>>
>>339294376
Who /pol/ here?
>>
>>339309004
It's literally the best board.
>>
File: Fuck You I'm Out of Grenades.jpg (138 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
Fuck You I'm Out of Grenades.jpg
138 KB, 1600x900
>Play half life for the first time on the hardest difficulty
>Every time the enironment gets the upper hand on you you die from maximum damage.
>Didn't know a turret was around the corner? DEAD!

Higher difficulties can help you better understand which games are well designed, or are like Half Life.
>>
Difficulty settings are a mistake
>>
>>339309649
really now?
>>
>>339306542
this
>>
>>339307187
I'm not entirely sure, but its certainly possible.

I beat it on hard and had a blast. I thought it was challenging but fair. And while I could just spam the same attack over and over, it was more rewarding to use the cd abilities to get more damage off, and you were liable to get hit eventually even if you were spamming wall jump whack or something like that.
>>
File: hardcorekin.jpg (31 KB, 466x272) Image search: [Google]
hardcorekin.jpg
31 KB, 466x272
Well, /v/?
>>
>>339307685
Same here, increasing just increasing the damage/health of enemies is trash tier difficulty.
>>
Easy because I'm baby tier retarded when I'm in my mid-20's. I simply cannot adapt fast to a game.
>>
>>339292157
Most games on hard or normal, just depending on the series, the genre, etc.
I did play p3p on easy because I hated the grinding, and battle for wesnoth because that game is fucking hard.
>>
>>339292157
Medium, almost always
>>
>>339292790
This, unless they have those tidbits of info under the difficulties that say hard is the recommended one, only really go higher on successive playthroughs
>>
>>339311067
Is hardcore perfect body huge donged futa or what?
>>
Does harder difficulty just add more HP to enemies? Medium.

Does it actually change level design or enemy AI? Then I'll go for hard.
>>
>>339312929
So you play everything on normal like a pleb
>>
>>339294173

Resident Evil 3 and Devil May Cry were the most aggravating examples of this for me.
>>
Fire Emblem is the only series I play Hard first
>>
>>339309182
I've never had problems with it on hard.

Maybe you're just a scrub.
>>
>>339292157
Usually medium. Sometimes hard if it's an RPG like Kingdom Hearts or Blue Dragon.
>>
hardest difficulty first play through always. most games arent difficult anymore, so playing anything lower is pretty boring to me.
>>
>>339292157
always the hardest
>>
>>339292157
Medium if you're new to the series/genre, hard in all other circumstances.

Easy if you're replaying just to see cutscenes or do qte shit again
Thread replies: 151
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.