[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone think that Shovel Knight is a bit overhyped or overrated?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: shovel-knight-.png (207 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
shovel-knight-.png
207 KB, 500x281
Does anyone think that Shovel Knight is a bit overhyped or overrated? After finishing the game and getting every possible thing I could in the game, I feel that the game isn't as good as many people say it is. Ture, it is a very good retro platformer, but the likes of SMB3, S3&K, Ristar, Mega Man X, and etcetera easily tops the game.
>>
No.
>>
The music was great, the levels were OK, and the bosses were way too easy
>>
>>339242349
No. Shovel Knight is by far the best indie retro game ever made, which doesn't really mean all that much, but its genuinely great.

And nigga, notice how you're comparing it to classics made over 20 years ago. That level of quality in 2D platformers has been sorely missing short of pretty much just Rayman Legends and Tropical Freeze. Of course SK is going to stand out.
>>
>>339242349
No.

How the fuck are the other DLC's going to top Plague's? Felt it was even more fun than the base game, enjoyed going fast as fuck all the time.
>>
Shovel Knight is 7/10
Plague of Shadows is 10/10
>>
>>339242349
Why was everyone convinced he'd be in smash?
>>
>>339242578
cave story bae
>>
>>339242803
Because idiocy

Non exclusive game not released at Japan at the time.

Never had a chance
>>
>>339242349

its kinda unfair to compare anything to mmx
>>
>>339242349
its a solid throwback. not that hard, but very fun. i think if you saw the positive feedback as Undertale levels of hype then i guess you'd probably be unimpressed.
>>
>>339242578
I honestly think I played better indie games really. Cave Story was extremely fun and really up there with some of my top 20 platformers. Freedom Planet was everything I wanted from modern Sonic and more and had some great level design.

Don't get me wrong. I still had my fun with Shovel Knight and I think it is a excellent game, but I just don't get the insane amounts of people saying it's up there with those games after fully playing the game for everything it has. Maybe my expectations are a bit too high for platformers.
>>
For an actually good indie platformer check out Rabi-Ribi, it's way too good for a Taiwanese weeb bait
>>
File: shovel knight.jpg (15 KB, 197x255) Image search: [Google]
shovel knight.jpg
15 KB, 197x255
>>339242349
One of my favorite games. its up there with arkham city and super smash bros for me.
>>
File: SK Tiers.png (959 KB, 900x1674) Image search: [Google]
SK Tiers.png
959 KB, 900x1674
>>
Maybe it's something about the stages. They're very short, caged and blocky as opposed to the more dynamic and open stages of cavestory or something similar I can't think of right now
>>
>>339242349
Yes, and this is from someone who owns the plushie and amiibo

The level design is generally good, music and looks are amazing. But outside of that it is middling to kinda bad. Bosses are a joke, it is so easy to collect your money back that dying means nothing and that is even if you die cause the game isn't very challenging

It's a good game, but not as much as /v/ has hyped it to be
>>
SK would've been 10/10 if it was metroidvania style with more open level design and secrets to find.
>>
Did anyone else play this? Literally Shovel Knight but with qt monstergirls
>>
>>339242578
>Shovel Knight is by far the best indie retro game ever made

>Cave Story
>Maldita Castilla
>Super Bat Puncher
>Battle Kid
>Spelunky
>>
>>339246609

I forgot La Mulana too
>>
>>339246609
>>339246656
>posting those literal whos with CS
>>
>>339242349
I mostly enjoy virt's soundtrack.
>>
>>339246742

>Popularity = Quality

Okay
>>
Not really. Nobody talks about it anymore and most people really just saw it as a polished fun little platformer, which is what it is.

The only aspect of it that's overhyped is the soundtrack which was mediocre as fuck. seriously as much as I usually love Jake Kaufman, only a few of the songs in this were legitimately great, nowhere near his stuff for Shantae or Double Dragon or Bloodrayne.
>>
>>339246742
Since when did Spelunky become "literal who" tier?
>>
>>339246609
Battle Kid is special though, since it's an actual NES game.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.