[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Unpopular opinions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: he's right.png (74 KB, 1010x590) Image search: [Google]
he's right.png
74 KB, 1010x590
Modern-day VR is a meme playing on the hype of a Holodeck-level experience and """""""actual""""""" virtual reality. Oculus, Vive, Morpheus and Gear are just screens, meaning they won't deliver anything you can't already experience with your current monitor and are only going to be a hassle to use compared to your current monitor. They are going to sell a couple million units and then no one will buy them when they realize it takes more energy to move around your head with a display strapped to it when you can just sit facing a nice large 1080p/4K display in natural light and get the same visual information.

Guarantee no one would give a shit about any of this pseudo-VR tech if they called it the 'Oculus HMD' on their original kickstarter

inb4 it's just the 1st gen!!! as if the iPhone is going to go from a phone to an interdimensional transporter in a couple of generations and FPS and racing games will benefit from this alot!!! exactly what was said about motion controls but no one wants to flail their arms around like a retard when you can use a joystick with a lot less physical energy and achieve the same thing
>>
>VR is bad
>unpopular opinion
once that crowbcat anti-VR propaganda video starting being spammed on /v/ that opinion started being the hivemind
>>
>>339225972
If you think you can't experience anything in vr you can't on a monitor you haven't tried actual vr and thus your opinion is not only unpopular, it's invalid.
>>
>Scrap screens to your face
>Call it VR

he's right though
>>
>>339227350
That's like saying wearing corrective lenses is just strapping glass to your face
>>
File: attention.gif (1 MB, 276x260) Image search: [Google]
attention.gif
1 MB, 276x260
I dunno if anyone in this thread has an actual VR HMD, but I'm enjoying my Vive. Have been for a few weeks now.

I appreciate all the new and weird things devs are trying with the medium, and it really has a sort of "wild west" feel to it - in the sense that new shit is coming out for VR every day, and I'm more than happy to give it a shot.

Yes, sitting in front of a nice 4K screen and playing the latest game is neat, but there's just something that's incredibly refreshing about having all of my movements tracked properly. Like if I were playing skyrim, if I dropped an item, I'd have to move my mouse to find it on the floor, click the crouch button, and then click E to pick it back up. Whereas in VR you just...pick the thing up off the ground.

I know it's not the best analogy, but little things like that in helping you really feel immersed.

Whatevs. I'm sure it's not a popular opinion to like VR, especially not on /v/, but truth be told I can't get enough of it.
>>
>>339227558
A "VR" Head mounted display does the same thing your current monitor and mouse does. The only difference is that it is attached to your face, and yet, it is being heralded as the next frontier in gaming.

A corrective lens is specifically designed to be attached to your face, and would not work if it was too large for your eyes. There's a complete difference between these two concepts, but I guess if you can rationalize spending $600-$800 on an extra screen, you can rationalize anything.
>>
>>339229494
You know vr headsets have the exact lenses youre talking about. It's not just a screen strapped to your face. You wouldn't say that if you actually tried one. I own rift and vive btw.
>>
>>339229965
>It's not just a screen strapped to your face

Except it literally is. It is a monitor with lenses attached to your fucking face. Doesn't matter if you agree with my opinion or not but your little delusion that Oculus, Vive, GearVR and all these other HMDs are just that -- Head. Mounted. Displays.
>>
FFVII was shit.
>>
Halo: Reach had my favorite multiplayer
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.