[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Best Harvest Moon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 11
File: Jack.png (72 KB, 350x268) Image search: [Google]
Jack.png
72 KB, 350x268
Once and for all:

Which is the best Harvest Moon? Excluding spin-off games Like Rune Factory.

It seems to often come down to either Harvest Moon 64, Friends of Mineral Town, or A Wonderful Life.
>>
File: 005-3.jpg (69 KB, 706x706) Image search: [Google]
005-3.jpg
69 KB, 706x706
>>339219302
>This is neither boy or girl
What the fuck Marvelous.
>>
>>339219302
FoMT but it's RF4 seriously, spinoff or not.

I question the sanity of anyone who says AWL. While I like that the game exists, I think it's a terrible Harvest Moon.
>>
>>339219302
Probably Back to Nature or FoMT

Though my favorite still is HM64 followed by AWL, DS and Hero of Leaf Village
>>
FoMT is the best one hands down. I loved AWL and have a lot of nostalgia associated with it but in retrospect it's really lacking in comparison to the older games.
>>
File: Farmsluts.png (105 KB, 327x170) Image search: [Google]
Farmsluts.png
105 KB, 327x170
Who cares about the games, what we really should be asking is...

Who is best girl?
>>
>>339221052
>While I like that the game exists, I think it's a terrible Harvest Moon.

Do you mean that in the sense that it's a cool game but feels too separate from the other games in the series?

I've never touched it, but I heard recently that it's Wada's favorite Harvest Moon. Which has me curious to give it a shot.

FoMT also comes up often as the best overall implementation of the what the earlier games were going for, but I also have little experience with it. Basically only sunk time into 64 and Back to Nature.

And the only thing keeping me from jumping into Rune Factory 4 is I dislike how androgynous/femmy all the characters are.
>>
>>339219302
A Wonderful Life hands down

this makes it 11/10 alone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD50ScnBHuA
>>
>>339219302
Harvest Moon 64 > Friends of Mineral town = Harvest Moon
>>
>>339219302

Harvest Moon 64 is the best because it has all the best features, but none of the filler of the later series. It also has a greenhouse instead of the fucking harvest sprites. If Friends of Mineral Town had kept the greenhouse, it would be the best one. But them's the brakes.

>>339221052

I bought AWL at launch. Was my most hyped game ever. Then I saw basically everything good of the previous HM games die. I don't know how they could fuck up the series so bad with just one game. Let alone make a dozen bad sequels after it.
>>
>>339219302

Karen is mai waifu.
>>
>>339222268
Well for one, you can't ship vegetables, so you're a rancher, not a farmer.

The big thing is that it's not about relaxed cartoon farm life, it's about the depressing passage of time. It really does feel like you're trapped in this dead-end podunk town where you live out the rest of your life until you die. You have to get married after either stupid drama or depressing pragmatism, you'll have to raise your stupid kid who'll probably turn into some faggy musician or artist, you have to grow old and watch everyone else in this hick town grow old and die. There's way fewer festivals, there's no music outside of your farm, and the whole thing just feels very dreary and heavy. It's an incredibly dull but unique experience, which is why I respect it a lot more than I actual like it.

Also fucking cows don't produce milk unless they actually have calves. Fuck that.
>>
N64 for better storyline (and greenhouse)

But FOMT for better camera angle. That isometric camera angle meant so many thrown away gifts :(
>>
Harvest Moon 64 is one of my favorites.

I really wish they'd make more like ToT and Animal Parade. Those were the last newer ones I enjoyed. I don't know why but I just can't get into the ds/3ds ones. ToT and AP had really fun gameplay, and top tier waifus on both male and female sides. I was really excited for Story of Seasons but I just can't get into it.
>>
Animal Parade is my favorite harvest moon.
>>
>>339222446
>Being this spot on
>>
Anyone who says 64 instead of Back to Nature is wrong and should kill themselves.
>>
>>339219302
There is no best one. Those three share the throne.
>>339221971
Elli, Karen, Popuri.
In no specific order.
Except Elli, she's top waifu. RIP Granny.
>>
File: HarvestMoonFields.png (166 KB, 500x306) Image search: [Google]
HarvestMoonFields.png
166 KB, 500x306
Non-bugged version of HM:DS > Back to Nature > Animal Parade > lol who cares
>>
>>339221971

> even considering anyone but Karen
>>
>>339223473
>Day goes on and on and on
>Entire fucking season lasts 10 days
>SE version chops each time period down to a single year

Why.

At least SE let me have a daughterfu.
>>
File: X4RsJ[1].png (248 KB, 478x288) Image search: [Google]
X4RsJ[1].png
248 KB, 478x288
>>339224005
I feel like a lot of people don't mention Tree of Tranquility and Animal Parade. They're one of my favorites too. I was absolutely addicted to those, and they were the last Harvest Moon games I played so compulsively. I mean don't get me wrong, I still have fun playing the others but the older ones and the two Wii games were the one's I played addictively.
>>
>>339223967
Yeah, N64 has the best events out of any game. They were so mysterious and just by coincidence it was really easy to miss out on a lot of things the first couple times playing the game. Like getting Rick's machine or taking part in the festivals. Sometimes that weird girl would come in the middle of the winter and you would try to take care of their cows with your dwindling fodder supply. Or the nightmare of your animal dieing.
And I really like the little stuff that doesn't actually matter like finding the old record player, building a deck for your house, playing the lottery to fill your house with all sorts of little furnishings.

>>339221971
I like Maria the best when she's a bookworm and not a total loser. Otherwise Karen was my choice because she has the best hair and green eyes.
>>
HM64/FoMT era, comfiest feel, best art style, greatest selection of marriageable girls.
>>
>>339221971
I was into Karen back when I played it as a kid, but now I'd probably go more toward Anne.

Karen seems fun, but is too immature to be the kinda girl I'd want to settle down with. Anne is more down to earth and seems like she'd actually contribute something to your life in the long run.
>>
File: 1432218984405.png (105 KB, 283x302) Image search: [Google]
1432218984405.png
105 KB, 283x302
>playing Back to Nature as a kid; loved every moment of it
>got to Winter of the 3rd year and didn't get back to it
>recently felt a massive nostalgia crisis and emulated it, determined to finish what I never could as a kid
>felt good to hear the music and see old faces at first, up until mid summer/fall
>slogged though the rest of the first year
>got bored and quit

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.
>>
>>339219302
Harvest Moon _____DS____
>>
>Spring Festival in 64/btn
>64: 1 girl dresses like the goddess and cucks you. You dance with a girl and they can't refuse.
>BtN: All girls dress up. You invite one ahead of time to come with you as your date. Later at night, you fuck them.

Oh yeah, 64 TOTALLY has better festivals, guys.
>>
>>339221971
Karen is baby tier.
Popuri is meh tier.
Mary is ok tier.
Ann is great tier.
Elli are patrician tier.
>>
File: 1362204512822.png (124 KB, 424x362) Image search: [Google]
1362204512822.png
124 KB, 424x362
>>339219302
well OP, its hard to say, as how does one really rank a game that came out on the N64 with basically the same game, on a handheld system.

it just doesn't make sense. I think we can all just agree on whatever one happened to first play when you were 10-13 was your favorite.

except for wonderful life that was garbage and a complete step back in terms of all mechanics and had a shitty lifeless little square of a town. everyone who says this one is the best is a known shitter.
>>
File: 1404701908979.jpg (6 KB, 116x241) Image search: [Google]
1404701908979.jpg
6 KB, 116x241
>>339221971
good taste tier: Karen, Ann

lets try something different this time tier: Popuri

zero personality why even bother tier: Maria

turns in to a fat depressed cow how complains all the time the second you get married tier: Elli
>>
>>339225837
I thought maybe I was taking crazy pills. Everyone here always praises Wonderful Life. I remember trying to play it back in the day and it was dull as fuck.
>>
>>339221052
Agree on both counts. I hated the "castle" and the dragon and the story in rf4, but goddam all the mechanics are so gud...
>>
>>339226651
Except the RNG events.
>>
>>339221052
i liked rune factory 4 a good deal, but it just didnt have the staying power for me that RF3 did.

I could see the mechanics were there, but compared to the RF3 cast none of the towns people were any fun to interact with or do stuff for
>>
>>339219302

>>339220934
Id still fuck it.
>>
The first one is my favorite. It was so different and refreshing at the time. And, probably because I've played it the most, it just feels the graphics "fit" the mood a lot better than the sequels. I've been enjoying Stardew Valley lately, which has many of the gameplay improvements of the later games but the old art style.
>>
>>339224531
HM:DS is so despised because of it's bugs, I know they are literally a sign of bad development, but the added such a weird sort of charm that I couldn't bring myself to hate them
>>
>>339227293
The crazy thing is that for a while, Natsume would actually send you a fixed copy of the game if you mailed them your bugged version.
Dunno why so many people continued to hate it in social circles that clearly had to have been in the know about that.
>>
>>339226651
>hating Venti

fucking kill off
>>
>>339219302
>Harvest Moon
You mean Story of Seasons, right~?
>>
File: big_bed.png (10 KB, 175x120) Image search: [Google]
big_bed.png
10 KB, 175x120
>>339221971
All of 'em.
>>
>>339227293
>literally a sign of bad development
No, Anon. The original, Japanese game was fine. Natsume added all the bugs during localization. They are that bad at their job.
>>
File: 1369563426148.gif (476 KB, 200x180) Image search: [Google]
1369563426148.gif
476 KB, 200x180
>>339219302

Friends of Mineral Town, HM64, and Save the Homeland are my top 3
>>
>>339219302
AWL would have been perfect if it had way more content. The aesthetic, characters, music etc. was all perfect.
I was super hyped for newer HM games thinking they'd retain what I loved about AWL, but with more things to do. But then all subsequent entries went completely to shit.
>>
>>339228695

The amount of content was fine. The problem was shitty farming, slow as hell movement and bad town design.
>>
File: 1464416097547.jpg (153 KB, 645x1260) Image search: [Google]
1464416097547.jpg
153 KB, 645x1260
>tfw playing Island of Happiness
>mfw rival heart events gets triggered for no goddamn reason
>>
>>339228989
>the amount of content was fine
Literally nothing to do after the first year aside from sleep all day every day just to watch your kid grow up.

>shitty farming and bad town design
Design was fine. The problem was that it was tiny.
Farming was also fine. The problem with that was there's no reason to even bother with it because you quickly run out of things to spend your money on.
>>
>>339228989
I remember always getting frustrated as a kid because the AWL world was so fucking tiny and the one pass that led out just prompted you to connect a GBA and a much better game and you couldn't actually get a bigger area to explore.

>>339229384
Farming was terrible. You couldn't sell most of your vegetables, tree seed making was obviously broken, and the hybridization system was too finicky and very poorly explained.
>>
Animal Parade for 3D

FoTMT for 2D

No question
>>
>>339226925
That's actually kinda the opposite for me. I started with RF4 and I went back to RF3 and I just couldn't get into it because of how fucking wacky the cast was.

It was nice that there was such a big number of waifus though. We'll likely never get that again since they're doing waifus and husbandos now.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.