[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>The best part of Battleborn is its prologue cinematic. T
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 227
Thread images: 47
File: bborn7.jpg (140 KB, 1061x720) Image search: [Google]
bborn7.jpg
140 KB, 1061x720
>The best part of Battleborn is its prologue cinematic. That's not to say the game itself isn't any good -- in fact, it's a wonderful single- and multiplayer experience for the fantastical first-person-shooter crowd. However, the opening video is divine. It's evocative, rich and effortlessly cool, built on a base of smooth hip-hop and anime-inspired, neon-coated illustrations. When I think of Battleborn, my mind is immediately saturated in the cinematic's soulful rhythm.
>This is a new brand of video game artistry. As a game, Battleborn doesn't feature cartoon characters; it's a fully realized 3D experience from Gearbox, the creators of Borderlands. In the same vein as Borderlands, Battleborn is highly stylized, but it looks nothing like the opening cinematic.
>That was on purpose.
>The cinematic's energetic animations and its mellow soundtrack balance each other perfectly.
>Video games are art, and experiences like the Battleborn prologue help demonstrate this aspect to the wider world. Video game have always been an artistic expression but it wasn't until they stopped being the domain of cis white men that they became high art.
>Today, the potential for wild and diverse artistic experimentation exists within gaming, But large studios are mostly focused on creating lifelike worlds so it's our duty as gamers to support artistic endeavors like Battleborn instead of run of the mill games like Overwatch.

Why aren't you playing Battleborn, the first high art video game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfplyK_hYCQ
>>
HAHAHAHAHA
>>
It's a generic flash cartoon?
>>
It's nice to know that when my children go to an art museum, next to the Mona Lisa and Van Go will be Battleborn and other artistic games
>>
File: 1307162706327s.jpg (3 KB, 126x126) Image search: [Google]
1307162706327s.jpg
3 KB, 126x126
Anyone who tries to justify videogames as art is insecure about their hobby so they try to pass it off as being some glorious masterpiece where "it's more than just a game!".
>>
File: d44m.jpg (330 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
d44m.jpg
330 KB, 1920x1080
actual art coming through
>>
>>339165769
shame ingame art looks like it's designed by a bunch of interns
>>
>>339165769

>The best part of Battleborn is its prologue cinematic

If that isn't a condemnation of the game, I don't know what is
>>
The Battleborn animations are crap. Seriously.
This is coming from someone who enjoys the game itself.
>>
>'Battleborn' turned gaming cinematics into a 2003 Clone Wars cartoon AMV
>>
Reminder that this turd cost some $70+ million.
>>
File: file_0.png (507 KB, 555x732) Image search: [Google]
file_0.png
507 KB, 555x732
You have to admit that the los-res/setting Battleborn models look rather statuesque
>>
File: jim.gif (407 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
jim.gif
407 KB, 250x250
>>339165948
Anyone who thinks video games don't have the potential to be art is a pretentious shitter who thinks art can only be what they define art as.
>>
>>339165769
>"The best part of this game is the cinematic... it's still a good game though!
>The cutscene is so stylised and different... s-so is the game itself!
>It's a artistic endeavour and not like Overwatch in any way!"
>Actually using cis white men

Is that article actually real? It's a custerfuck of backstepping after every point.
>>
>>339165856
Yes but at least it's not shit like the game
>>
>>339165769
Its horribly directed and only decently animated.
Quite cringy, but looks okay.
No way near being art, just regular commercial video for a shitty game.
Copies a lot from afro samurai but fails to capture what made it good.
5/10
>>
>>339165769
>Try to compete with Overwatch
It fails because Blizzard
>Try to target the "muh art" crowd
It fails because it's a dumb loud shooter

Can Gearbox do anything right?
>>
Serious question : what is the difference between art and high art?
>>
>>339165769
>all this hyperbole for a ugly flash animation set to Deltron
>>
>>339166716
Its like a job change I think. Your art has to hit level 20 and pass a trial
>>
>cis white men will never let games be art
Well yeah, western games are trash.
But games were already art, when they were made by cis Japanese men AND women.
>>
it's like gal-o sengen but meant seriously
>>
>>339166782

> ugly

You have to be at least 18 years old to post here
>>
>>339166716
Hard to tell.
It's like you can easily when a wine is delicious and when its not, but try to explain it. More so try to explain it to someone who doesn't have a good palette nor understands wine tasting.

Trying to classify art is like trying to solve ethics
>>
File: 1462285884479.png (152 KB, 400x433) Image search: [Google]
1462285884479.png
152 KB, 400x433
What is "high" art?
>>
>>339166942
It isn't ugly but the animation falls flat in quite many places and it's horribly directed. It's more cringy than cool
>>
>>339166892
Japs are honorary whites
>>
>what battleborn intro is trying desperately to be but with none of the style and attitude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfc-p1x8aC0
>>
>>339166892

> mighty no. 9 is high art

Wew
>>
File: GAL-O4.gif (493 KB, 440x330) Image search: [Google]
GAL-O4.gif
493 KB, 440x330
>>339165769
>High art.
>Looks like Galo Sengen with a bigger budget.
>>
>>339167000
art that smokes a lot of weed
>>
>>339165769
>shit nobody said
>>
That was nice, never seen another video game have something like that or is there? Someone link
>>
>>339165769
Should've just ended there
>>
>>339166942
Randy plz go
>>
>>339166942
It is fucking ugly, moron.
>>
File: laughing.jpg (24 KB, 500x552) Image search: [Google]
laughing.jpg
24 KB, 500x552
>>339165769
>those stick legs
>>
File: gurlgamr.png (42 KB, 644x276) Image search: [Google]
gurlgamr.png
42 KB, 644x276
>>339165769
kek
>>
The opening cinematic is pretty awesome, gotta agree that it is the best part of the entire game.

being better than the rest of battleborn isn't much of an achievement though
>>
>>339167065
I thought we agreed Inafune was a jew.
>>
>>339167130

Oh shut up. I'm sick and tired of trolls and Blizzard fanboys crapping on Battleborn spreading lies non-stop. Battleborn is a good game and arguably better than overwatch.
>>
>>339166543
Yeah it's real. There are no comments so it flew completely under the radar. But hey, Battleborn fans are fun to laugh at.
>>
>>339165821
Come on man just buy it.
>>
>>339167278
>>>339167130
>Oh shut up. I'm sick and tired of trolls and Blizzard fanboys crapping on Battleborn spreading lies non-stop. Battleborn is a good game and arguably better than overwatch.

Kek

Someone post the ui pic
>>
>>339167195

I did 2 tours of duty in Afghanistan with the Army and have seen some shit in my day, but this. This really fucking irritates me for some reason
>>
>>339167278
Lol okay Randy.
>>
>>339167278
Battleborn is not a good game
>>
randy plz
you're drunk
>>
>>339165769
The opening cinematic obviously had a lot of work put into it. The problem is that the artist was forced to work with the awful character designs and artstyle Gearbox had made.
>>
File: meme_ui.jpg (849 KB, 2419x840) Image search: [Google]
meme_ui.jpg
849 KB, 2419x840
>>339167389
Gotcha senpai
>>
>>339165769

Shame the game is unbelievably ugly and unlikable in art direction
>>
On a serious note, is there a better contender for the true high art game than Pathologic?
>>
>>339167489
HIGH
ART
>>
>>339167515
Undertale
>>
>>339167462
>Openly admitting to serving Israel's interests
Fuck off welfare queen
>>
>>339166435
>we want the BR audience
>>
>>339167278
Cry some more scum.Sjw ideology isnt toxic, its fucking corrosive.
>>
>>339167515
maybe other ice pick loge games.
specops the line and mgs2 were nice but not high art enough
>>
>>339167515
EYE Divine Cybermancy
Undertale
Quake
Planescape: Torment
Fallout
Deus Ex
The Sims
>>
File: fwQXcz4.gif (1 MB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
fwQXcz4.gif
1 MB, 480x640
tfw when all these western studios are incorporating japanese animation tropes... yeah it looks nice, but nothing amazing - it's a pretty average action sequence at best, not even drawn that well. Game itself is good but let's not push some college animation level material with negro music playing over it on some artistic pedestal.
>>
>>339167515
desert bus
>>
Borderlands opening cinematics were actually good.
Batlleborn visual designers should be hanged though.
>>
>>339167732
I would only pick Quake as the ultimate manifestation of FPS genre
>>
>>339167641

How predictable. You don't have an argument so you have to resort to crying about "muh sjw boogeyman
>>
No. The intro is art. It wasn't programmed and it isn't playable.
It also isn't even that good.
>>
>>339166446
Video games can contain art, just like a board game can. However, that doesn't make a video game art any more than having a radio makes a car a symphony.
>>
>>339167806
The atmosphere and setting alone is artistic in its madness and incoherence.
>>
>Support artistic endeavors like Battleborn! Not Run of the mill games like Overwatch!

Except if you are looking at it from an artistic perspective, Overwatch has better composed settings and designs that are more aesthetically pleasing and technically balanced. Battleborn is a class A case in not fucking understanding color theory and environment composition.

And if you REALLY wanna go the animation route, Overwatch uses squash and stretch animation along with smearing, traditional animation techniques that are rarely used in games, making animations seem more fluid and dynamic, in comparison to the clunky static animations in Battleborn.
>>
>>339167278
Thank you for your comment! $0.05 has been deposited to your account! We appreciate your hard work!
>>
Actual art, coming through

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EKTw50Uf8M
>>
>>339167278
This keeps coming back to people thinking this has to do with Overwatch. Why are people even comparing the two vastly different games? I just hate Battleborn it itself. Its way too silly and goofy, the art style in both cinematics and ingame are ugly to me as well. The characters are just way too forcefully strange and diverse. Its like they said "Fuck it lets make the weirdest thing possible." Sometimes you gotta play it safe with some elements.
>>
File: e.y.e multi lane.jpg (129 KB, 506x632) Image search: [Google]
e.y.e multi lane.jpg
129 KB, 506x632
>>339167732

>E.Y.E

This
>>
>>339165769
Anybody that believes this thing is anything but mediocre doesn't know jack shit about animation or videogames.
I believe the Chinese bootleg tier running at the start makes my point for me.
>>
>>339167756
You're gonna have to gimme source, fampai.
>>
>>339165948
Games CAN be art in the same way a soup can can be art. It's all opinion based on the "artist" and the viewer.
Some games lend themselves more to the term "art" than others.
Example, The Witness, it's a game that faced much discussion, love, and hate for a variety of reasons on release and all in all, it wasn't a great game, but it was an interesting artistic piece, combining a myriad of concepts to turn your head and world details to shift your mentality, everything from the way the landscape is molded to the way the two things might line up to show something new, like the Mountain Goddess and the Swamp Statue looking as if they're holding hands from below.
Etc.
Most games don't qualify as "art" because they weren't designed to be. They were designed to be either entertaining or a quick buck, depending.
Which is also comparable to "art" today. In the form of commissions and Requests via Drawthreads, as a form of entertainment/enjoyment or a quick buck for the former.
>>
>>339165769
What is it with video game writers and not understanding the medium they're writing about? If you're going to push video games as art (something I'm not opposed to), you should focus on what separates the medium from others, not that the best part of it could be entirely unrelated to it.
>>
>>339167278
Overwatch is the first Blizzard game I have ever touched, I wish Battleborn/Gearbox fanboys would actually accept criticism pointing out how terribly designed the game is from the ground up and that their marketing campaign is in complete damage control because Overwatch is the more well put together game both technically and visually.

Battleborn could have been decent, but they were lazy as shit about it, didn't even try in some aspects, shat it out to try and beat Overwatch's launch date to try and cash in (And then got fucked because Overwatch got pushed back), and didn't try to run a "We're thoughtful and caring developers and have been wronged when we are trying our best" tier marketing campaign
>>
>>339168293
Mostly this. While they're different games and play massively differently to the point of barely being comparable, they're still compared and judged, and the result is Battleborn is shit all around, could have been great if not for a myriad of glaring mistakes, and due to timing.
>>
>art
I hope that this pretentious bullshit killing gaming ends soon and the gaming industry crashes and burns.

This is exactly what is wrong with gaming since the fucking mid-90s. Style over substance bullshit.

And it's sad that you kids never knew what gaming really was. You were born having Nintendo and Sony brainwash you into thinking garbage games were actually good. I pity you all and ask you to please take a year or two to play NOTHING but pre-1995 games.

You'll understand when you do.
>>
>>339165769
those rhymes sound like they were put together by a 5 year old, it's jarring how poor his flow. It sounds like he's trying to emulate the mid eighties poetic jazz influenced hip hop but failing to capture what made that style so great.
>>
>>339168504
>Art is killing the gaming industry
>Not the myriad of companies and publishers who just want to shit out games as fast as possible for as much as possible to get them as much money as possible without making a "good" game
I'd rather have far less games specialized for groups of people so it appeals well instead of a mountain of games that appeal to almost all "gamers."
>>
Video games aren't art, but something more. There isn't plenty of art within a video game - the models, the textures, the music, the writing - but taken alone, those things don't make it a game. A game needs theory, structure, and rules. It's the combination of art and mathematics that makes a video game, and that's why they're truly the highest form of collaborative artistic expression.
>>
>>339165948
Here's something I don't understand:
Games LITERALLY consist of things considered art. So why are games themselves not considered art? Are games less than the sum of their parts?
>>
File: eg0q1ez.png (330 KB, 471x467) Image search: [Google]
eg0q1ez.png
330 KB, 471x467
The cinematic is cool but it isn't well-animated. They tried to stylize it like FLCL and TTGL and it just didn't work.
>>
>>339169027
see
>>339168812
>>
>>339167756
Name/source?
>>
>>339168812

I like this explanation.
>>
>>339166398
sauce?
>>
>>339165769
That cinematic literally just damn near put me to sleep.
Overall the whole cinematic feels slow and the music they picked didn't help matters.
I think they tried to do a Borderlands opening but failed to realize that what made those work is that they where shorter and didn't waster their time with shots that held on to them doing literally nothing.
As for it turning cinematics into high art, I would argue Shadow of the Colossus did that way before this game was even conceptualized.
>>
>>339168812
There is*
>>
>>339169027
The more complicated and complex a work of art becomes the less focused it becomes. It becomes diluted, art is supposed to stipulate an inherent thought or convey a single message in it's entirety, and because videogames are by nature diverse to hold our attention, and complex in many aspects from visual message to story etc. it's harder to denote them as art.

Not to say they can't be art, but these are the same excuses to claim 2d/3d animation can't be art and many art institutions still have a stick in their ass about it. The best way to disqualify your thing as art though is to profit on it in a massive scale and having that as the intention from the start, as in they cram all this artistic stuff in it to make it seem deep so it sells better, instead of being designed from the bottom disregarding said artistic stuffs marketability.

Basically most artistic games are only artistic pandering, because at the end of the day the intent is to sell
>>
>>339169735
The art/entertainment dichotomy is a lie. Art made for a purpose is still art. A chair is just as much a piece of art as a sculpture.
>>
>>339166716
The levels of irony involved.
Beethoven's 5th symphony is art, Anal Cunt's picnic of love is high art.
>>
File: image.jpg (42 KB, 491x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42 KB, 491x640
>mfw people still arguing about what is art
>>
>>339167953
Visually Overwatch's cutscenes are almost modern Disney film tier

Battleborn's cutscenes are saturday morning cartoon tier

I can't understand how anyone could prefer Battleborn artistically in any sense.
>>
>>339170146
Art is the language of the soul.
>>
>>339168008
As far as I know, it started because Gearbox started shit on Twitter towards Blizzard. After that the drones and viral marketers went into full-force with the comparisons.
>>
Looks like Republican Space Rangers from GTA.
>>
>>339168008
Battleborn was marketed as a crazy team based shooter like Overwatch, instead of more of a strategic MOBA style game.

It's only natural consumers would make a direct comparison with the release dates being so close together. Gearbox likely knew this too, they just decided to take the risk for some stupid reason.
>>
File: the-void-header.jpg (193 KB, 1495x617) Image search: [Google]
the-void-header.jpg
193 KB, 1495x617
>>339167515
Tetris or The Void. I really like The Void.
>>
>>339166435
looks like it is made out of paper
>>
>>339166631
Nah it's about as shit as the game.
>>
>>339166716
piss in a jar or piss in a jar with a cross inside.
>>
>>339168812
This. It is the ultimate medium (non-ironically).
That being said all videogames to this day have failed to fully represent this and anyone who claims that videogames are "art" are tryhard beta faggots. They're art or even more than that but keep it to yourself if you don't want to look like a loser.
>>
File: ed.png (221 KB, 548x548) Image search: [Google]
ed.png
221 KB, 548x548
POST INTRO CINEMATICS THAT ARE BETTER THAN BATTLEBORN'S

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im5tc4fcg5w
>>
>>339165769
Literally not even made by the game studio so it does nothing to convey the quality and experience of the actual game.
>>
>>339169998
While that is true, it is harder to define actual intent if art is a marketed thing. I'm not saying that it's not viable as art, but defining it as art in and of itself or having that as its reason is an important distinction. A chair can be a work of art, but it isn't art because it is a chair, a videogame can be a work of art, but it wouldn't be because it's a videogame.

It's the difference between something being art and something being artistic, the comparison I would draw is between movies in general and specific directors like Tarantino, it's the same format and intent, but there is a huge difference between cash in movies and ones crafted to sell, and those crafted to be unique not just to sell but to be unique for the purpose of itself.

Games aren't considered an artistic medium by many institutions because art is so few and far between, there were a lot of experimental and artistically driven games back in the pa1/n64 era that are considered art by these institutions, and there are ones today that do well to be considered art, but it's not an easy inherent thing to games as a whole, just like the disparity within movies
>>
File: 1420988884339.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1420988884339.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>339171835
>Tarantino
>>
File: 1419171975501.jpg (13 KB, 200x255) Image search: [Google]
1419171975501.jpg
13 KB, 200x255
>>339168151
Its a trap
>>
>>339167195
How do you specialize in Harry Potter?

What does she do, serve as an expert consultant for fanfictions?
>>
>>339171757
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtAH7kGEqic
>>
>>339172050
Check out my new weapon. Weapon of choice.
>>
>>339167195
>she's a novelist
>who hasn't published anything
>but it's the intent that matters
Shit, I'd better start calling myself a professional chef. I mean, I've never graduated or even gone to culinary school, but it'd be nice to, wouldn't it?
>>
File: DIUmQ2W.png (205 KB, 266x359) Image search: [Google]
DIUmQ2W.png
205 KB, 266x359
>>339165769
i had to stop at 3:00 in
what the fuck is this
>>
>>339171757

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrW4jkQdmjI
>>
>>339166067
>Muh space marines
/ic/ called they want their meme back
>>
>>339171757
why are the musics in KH intros always shit
>>
File: 1462633392765.jpg (74 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1462633392765.jpg
74 KB, 640x480
>>339165769
>that 6 year old drawing in ops pic
>high art
holy shit my sides have reached orbit
>>
>However, the opening video is divine. It's evocative, rich and effortlessly cool, built on a base of smooth hip-hop
You know how the word "cuck" gets tossed around a lot? This is what a cuck sounds like. Fucking "smooth hip-hop"? Give me a break, it's shitty nigger music.
>>
>>339172050
He's poking fun at Uma Thurman and John Travolta by imitating their dancing in Pulp Fiction?
>>
>>339171757
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A17oUv0E-N4
>>
>>339166435
Please tell me this isn't real.
>>
File: Deltron 3030 - Deltron 3030.jpg (173 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Deltron 3030 - Deltron 3030.jpg
173 KB, 500x500
>>339172562
ok memelord
>>
>>339172562
Is white boy triggered?
>>
File: And then theres this faggot.jpg (176 KB, 614x374) Image search: [Google]
And then theres this faggot.jpg
176 KB, 614x374
>Battleborn doesn't feature cartoon characters
>>
>>339166716
>>339166862
>>339166954
>>339170129
What a Karl Pilkington moment y'all had.
>>
LMAO
>>
>>339172856
Well, there IS a difference between cartoonish and freakish.
>>
File: aREwEhnOTdOGS.png (653 KB, 724x739) Image search: [Google]
aREwEhnOTdOGS.png
653 KB, 724x739
>>339166446

You're a cuck who doesn't understand when he's been taken by a meme.

"Art" is literally a modern-meme.

Those who say "video games are art" are being memed on again and again. Once for trying to foes on their turf and twice for thinking art refers to anything but a social token that's been stretched thin by overuse.
>>
File: 1417541707647.webm (3 MB, 640x430) Image search: [Google]
1417541707647.webm
3 MB, 640x430
>>339172629
Who do you think told them to dance like that?
>>
File: 1454146620272.gif (151 KB, 274x206) Image search: [Google]
1454146620272.gif
151 KB, 274x206
>>339165769
>Video game have always been an artistic expression but it wasn't until they stopped being the domain of cis white men that they became high art
>>
File: 1425261175283.png (914 KB, 919x703) Image search: [Google]
1425261175283.png
914 KB, 919x703
>>339172914
>running around at the speed of sound.webm
>running
>>
File: fucking plebs.jpg (538 KB, 1200x1800) Image search: [Google]
fucking plebs.jpg
538 KB, 1200x1800
>>339172562

>He doesn't appreciate Deltron 3030
>>
>>339172914
this is high ass
>>
>>339172914
Apparently the thing edgy teenagers do to mimic Naruto is high art now.
>>
>>339171428
The Piss Christ thing was edgy and fedora as fuck, but the actual picture was very well taken and aesthetically pleasing.

Most "art" like that is vile for the sake of being vile without any thought or effort put into the actual composition.
>>
>>339171757
Literally any WoW cinematic.
>>
>>339167489
This is a pure art
>>
I haven't watched the cinematic entirely, just skipped to the middle of it and watched about ten seconds without sound, but this seem pretty decent. Like if I had an interest in Battleborn to begin with it's probably something I'd enjoy watching.

It's pretty rare to have a game intro with a cartoon animation done like this, nowadays it's either half-assed 3d, static drawings with vocie-over, or just a rail sequence where your character walk from place to place as an obnoxiously slow NPC ramble nearby.
>>
The song is so fucking bad.
>>
TINY

FUCKING

HEAD
>>
File: E.Y.E plot explained.jpg (134 KB, 707x449) Image search: [Google]
E.Y.E plot explained.jpg
134 KB, 707x449
>>339168020
I see the plot more like this
>>
>>339173713
you can't really appreciate how bad it is unless you watch the entire thing. i bought the game because it's kinda fun, but that was the worst cinematic i've ever seen.

also the game still tells 99% of its story by having a radio monologue as you slowly escort NPCs down hallways
>>
>>339173029
That dude is a huge goober.

It's also funny because Travolta can fuckin' dance.
>>
Really grasping at straws to sell a shitty game when a badly animated intro with no shading is considered the best part.
>>
>>339171757
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtAH7kGEqic
Still the best
>>
File: 322.jpg (57 KB, 680x1024) Image search: [Google]
322.jpg
57 KB, 680x1024
>>339165769
>cartoon shit
>AN ARTE
fucking empty plebs how i wish they were all dead

the thread can still be salvaged though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGI_g9NFzDY

easily one of the best intros i've ever seen which is something and probably the only thing CA is capable of pulling off pretty decently
>>
>>339165769
I like the art (parts) but the animation is fucking awful. Did they make it that choppy on purpose?
>>
SILKY SMOOTH 5 FRAMES OF ANIMATION PER SECOND
>>
File: 1359265146439.gif (2 MB, 400x220) Image search: [Google]
1359265146439.gif
2 MB, 400x220
>>339165769
that's the best frame they could pull from it?
That looks fuckin' garbo.
>>
>>339174097
>HMS Victory being burned at the end

Gets my dick hard every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQeQWWKKvq4

This game sucked complete ass like Battleborn, but it did have a pretty rad trailer.
>>
>animation is dogshit
>one of the most uninspired color panel in existence
>slow music
>music doesn't make sense, it doesn't follow the action, it's not the genre you'd expect in this game
>sound effects just for metal, sometimes
>abilities not present in game, false advertisement
>random 3D shots
too many characters introduced at once
>we still don't know what game it is: looks like a pve raid boss
>no rivalities, characters work together, because
>no main character either, yet it ends on the face of one of them for no reason

yep, when you know "art" is a jargon for "overpriced piece of shit you display because people say it's good" it fits perfectly
>>
>>339166446

nobody is playing fps games for an artistic experience. He's right, if you have to try and justify your enjoyment of these games by claiming it's "art" then you're insecure af
>>
>>339166435
this needs a "LOOKIN GOOD" edit
>>
File: 1452099021409.jpg (104 KB, 581x383) Image search: [Google]
1452099021409.jpg
104 KB, 581x383
>>339167489
>tfw a parody is surpassed by reality
>>
>videogames are art
>battle born is art because an animated movie
I am fucking pissed. PAC MAN is more artistic than Battleborn
>>
>>339174030
Uma was so nervous of making a dance scene with Travolta that she almost fainted. To help, he made the silliest moves he could lmao.
>>
>>339167489
damn french
>>
File: 1441961557243.jpg (37 KB, 466x396) Image search: [Google]
1441961557243.jpg
37 KB, 466x396

That's probably true and hahah oh my god

>shit tier western looking anime knock off style, probably French or worse French Canadian by the looks of it
>wow it's so great and original

How much do you think Gearbox is in the hole with this Battleborn debacle? Pitchford was out screaming about YEAH MEMELANDS 3 like two weeks before the game even released, and it's in the budget bin within a month.
>>
>>339165769
I have a massive musical hard on for Deltron so this gets a pass from me
>>
File: 1461786121795.jpg (115 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1461786121795.jpg
115 KB, 625x626
>>339165769
>>
It's been years since I've watched anime but holy fuck, western animators really need to catch up to Japan.
https://youtu.be/0CJeDetA45Q
>>
>>339172889
It's a bit weird, innit?
>>
>>339173497
Even the stuff the WoW cinematic team does for giggles is better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jon4GV1u3uM
>>
File: 1388816490671.png (49 KB, 244x272) Image search: [Google]
1388816490671.png
49 KB, 244x272
>My argument for this video game being art is the addition of an extremely average animated-cartoon being tacked on to the beginning of it
>>
>>339174450
Fuck, no idea which footage is real and which isn't... but they had some neat intros - too bad about the games:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwkNIS7AVxg

It's the perfect mix between reality and fantasy, they managed too make it very credible
>>
>>339165903
>van go
This is as retarded as Leonardo the Vinci
>>
>>339171757
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFiLNc46jAM
>>
both battleborn and oversports will go f2p eventually

at that time people will figure out which one is actually more fun to play and that one will be successful

that's fine with me, and I wish BB good luck, I will definitely try it immediately when its F2P
>>
File: image.png (611 KB, 780x720) Image search: [Google]
image.png
611 KB, 780x720
>>339167195
>sci-fi novelist with a manuscript floating through the ether of potential publishers

Holy shit this can't be real. I should start calling myself a doctor because I went to community college.
>>
>>339165769
Ugliest thing I've seen since Starwars Clone Wars. Thanks for telling me its the best part of the game...
>>
>>339175053
that alternate "history" is the most retarted thing I've ever seen
>>
>>339167195
>Independent gaming
So she plays single player games? What the fuck does that even mean?
>>
File: 1322260422001.png (32 KB, 217x278) Image search: [Google]
1322260422001.png
32 KB, 217x278
>>339174782
Borderlands 2 is one of the highest selling games on Steam, and when 3 comes out they will make even more. Not the mention all the other games they have made, and the assloads of DLC. Even with Battleborn being a flop, Gearbox is financially fine.
>>
>>339176189
Disappointed Sega only asked for $1 million after the Aliens fiasco. They could have buried Memebox for good.
>>
>>339171757
>not https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZPsjy76TBo
>>
>>339175235
>Jewzard
>F2P
WoW has been going for 13 years and is still P2P, Battleborn however will not share that fate
>>
>>339165769
what an obvious shill piece

the cinematic was alright. You gotta keep in mind these guys are independant from Gearbox so don't be too hard on them. It was pretty good for a small studio
>>
>>339165769
>the best part of Battleborn is it's prologue cinematic
holy hell, this is one of the most backhanded complements I've ever read. So you're telling me that after I watch the opening cutscene, it's all downhill from there? So why not just watch the OP on youtube and just not buy the game? It's the only worthwhile part, after all.

Also, this fight scene fucking blows. The choreography is RWBY-tier, and that's saying quite a lot about how bad it is.
>>
>>339171757
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJPhasMsayI
>>
>>339175393
I'm now a pilot because I saw a plane once!
>>
File: wulf.png (159 KB, 778x1032) Image search: [Google]
wulf.png
159 KB, 778x1032
>Buying Overwatch and supporting the objectification of women.
Come on guys, it's 2016!
>>
>>339171757
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeqSdnB6X8k

I need to emulate this game, I never did beat it. I got part way in and felt kind of cheated that it wasn't more like BFM1.
>>
File: 1449612424517.jpg (44 KB, 502x699) Image search: [Google]
1449612424517.jpg
44 KB, 502x699
>Battleborn intro
>high art
Jesus, just imagine if they ever watched Samurai Champloo, which this is obviously taking cues from
>>
>>339166435
holy shit, i thought the official models WERE the low res versions, how low can ya go?
>>
>>339172246
when you have no actual credentials you're allowed to make them up
>>
>>339165769
>Video games are art, and experiences like the Battleborn prologue help demonstrate this aspect to the wider world. Video game have always been an artistic expression but it wasn't until they stopped being the domain of cis white men that they became high art.
>Today, the potential for wild and diverse artistic experimentation exists within gaming, But large studios are mostly focused on creating lifelike worlds so it's our duty as gamers to support artistic endeavors like Battleborn instead of run of the mill games like Overwatch.
These are fake, the rest are real.
>>
this is how you really make an opening cinematic that doesn't resemble the gameplay or graphics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpZ6HcKx-F8
>>
>>339174862
>lens flare out the ass
>good
>>
File: wikipedian_protester.png (35 KB, 500x271) Image search: [Google]
wikipedian_protester.png
35 KB, 500x271
>>339172070
I've seen a few traps in my life.
I've wanked to few traps in my life.
I refuse to believe that is a trap.
>>
>>339165769
Because of the underaged Stillwatch shills
>>
File: high art.jpg (71 KB, 911x414) Image search: [Google]
high art.jpg
71 KB, 911x414
>This is high art

Looks like something a 12 year old might draw.
>>
>>339184042
One of the best 12 yo artist ever then.
>>
>>339171757

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrDV6VksSRU
>This hasn't been posted yet

It's like the obligatory perfect video game intro.

Remember when every Japanese game had an intro like this?
>>
>>339165769
Did those fucks at sleepy cabin do this? It looks like shit
>>
>>339171835
>it is harder to define actual intent if art is a marketed thing
Well then we might as well just throw out the majority of human expression ever made, the sistine chapel was not made for free.
>>
so this is just blatant shilling, right? the writer of this article got paid by Gearbox, yes?
>>
>>339184367

Yeah, it clearly is. The intro looks worse than most of the modern day trash you see on Cartoon Network.

Infact, if you didn't tell people, they'd assume it's some cartoon made for 8-12 year olds because that is exactly what it looks like.
>>
File: HAHAHAHA.png (6 KB, 215x234) Image search: [Google]
HAHAHAHA.png
6 KB, 215x234
>>339165769

>>
>>339184487
>they'd assume that it was made by 12 year olds
or Rooster Teeth
>>
>>339184674

I said for 12 year olds. It's literally the quality of your average kids cartoon.
>>
>>339184214

The cinematography in this is fucking spectacular.
>>
>>339167489
Picking a bucket a cherries there, buddy.
>>
File: like damn.png (1 MB, 1708x480) Image search: [Google]
like damn.png
1 MB, 1708x480
DUDE...
>>
File: 250px-Killer7boxnew.jpg (28 KB, 250x319) Image search: [Google]
250px-Killer7boxnew.jpg
28 KB, 250x319
>>339165769
I fucking hate normies so much.
>>
>>339171835
>Tarantino
That hack. You need to get better taste in cinema m8
>>
>>339174574
>>339167854

Take a few art history classes.

>>339172998
this anon kinda gets it, but still doesn't get the point. Trying to argue that something isn't art already means you lose. Anything CAN be art; it just depends on if it's any good or not, and that point of view only exists if the proper argument is made in it's favor.

tl;dr it's subjective and you can't say something isn't art.
>>
>>339170129

>Anal Cunt

I completely forgot they existed.
>>
>>339185152
That's why I love Kubrick, when it comes to cinematography he was a genius.
>>
>>339167515

tfw couldn't figure out shit in pathologic

maybe i'm just too casual
>>
>>339185753
>Kubrick
overrated meme director
>>
IMO the only games that would even qualify for """"art"""" would be games that utilize the medium cleverly, either through storytelling or gameplay.

saying that a game is art because it's got a cool intro is retarded because it's praising putting an anime in front of the real game, not for being a good game
>>
>>339185753
I think you meant why you love Gearbox.
Like, they went so far with their HIGH art, they've blinded themselves with PERFECTION.
You may have not noticed it, but, see the blur on the edges? That's because it's OUT of FOCUS.
And the colors red and purple? They are ENEMIES so they have PROPER COLORING (red is an ANGRY color).
Dude. Might have blown your mind with this top-notch symbolism (shit's deep, I know), but... just another day in Burch's universe... ;)
>>
>40% off on steam

I hate battleborn, but damn even I feel sad about them.
>>
>>339167854
Pretty shitty analogy, seeing as cars have been seen as art.
>>
>>339170304
>soul
>>
>>339175062

>criticizing spelling on 4chan

Fuck off
>>
>>339165769

that's a pretty crushing and devastating verdict for the game
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N5ODEGR1KQ

This is a high art cinematic.
>>
>>339167489
sweet Jebus
>>
>>339165769
Why do they plaster this hideously character designed everywhere? I was thinking of getting Battleborn but when I saw that guy I changed my mind.
>>
File: 4yrAPHLr.jpg (24 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
4yrAPHLr.jpg
24 KB, 400x400
>>339165769
>your game is so shitty, your flash opening is actually the best part of your game
>>
>>339166942
This.

It made me nostalgia hard thinking about Alexander and Aeon Flux. The art also looks like something i would see in a music video.
>>
>>339165769
>best part is a shitty flash cartoon
>unironically using 'cis white men'

Gearbox should just give up on Stillborn and go back to Blunderlands. Seems to be the only game they can make that isn't a complete dumpster fire that actually makes them money.
>>
>>339171757

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39j5v8jlndM
>>
>>339165769

This looks exactly like shit I was wacthing on Newgrounds in 2002 with slightly higher production values
>>
>>339165948
People only wanted video games to be recognized as art so they'd stop getting bullied. Now video games are art and everything is cinematic and problematic.
Thread replies: 227
Thread images: 47

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.