[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Be completely honest
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 6
File: 1464026640432.jpg (219 KB, 858x617) Image search: [Google]
1464026640432.jpg
219 KB, 858x617
Do you truly believe there is such a thing as "shit taste"?
>>
Oblivion is the best TES game.
>>
Yes, it's any taste in video games that isn't my own
>>
>>339134785
No.
>>
>>339134785

Absofuckinglutely.
>>
>>339134785

Shit taste. As in anything anyone is interested in born after 2000.
>>
If not then why do critics for anything exist? If there is no such thing as shit taste then there is no such thing as quality.
>>
>>339134785
Nope.
>>
File: buddha-1.jpg (593 KB, 2556x1767) Image search: [Google]
buddha-1.jpg
593 KB, 2556x1767
No.
Volitionally conditioned experience is suffering by definition.
>>
>>339134785
No. Somewhere out there, a game dev took many hours to bring that shit to the market.
They wouldn't have released it if they thought it was outright bad.

Besides, its all just really opinions.
>>
as long as you don't consider your taste the absolute standard in games, everything goes
>>
No, but there is something to be said regarding taste and that is the factor of complexity

there are works of art/ that are more complex and others that are elmental

You can get more pleassure if you do your homework and expand your mind to enjoy complexity, because it contains the elemental taste.
>>
>>339134875
This, if we're not trying to be too serious.

If serious, there's no such thing as shit taste, everyone likes different stuff.
>>
Yeah, kind of.
If you only like games like Big Rigs and Vampire Rain, then fuck yeah I can say you have shit taste.

In the common way /v/ uses it? Nah.
>>
>>339135276
What about games that were deliberately made to earn a quick buck? Or to sucker ignorant parents/grandparents into buying the little ones "Snow White and the Seven Clever Boys"? I doubt those games were made because they thought they were good.
>>
Not when it comes to something like Video Games
>>
>>339134785
Some people like fallout 4, an objectively shit game, therefore they have shit taste
>>
>>339134785
yes
>>
>>339135485
But that word objectively? See that? The one you just used? That kind of negates your point.
>>
>>339134785
No, of course not. There are shitty games however like bethesda's ones
>>
>>339134785
Yes. Not only in games but also in movies, music and books. I have a friend who has the shittiest taste ever and everytime he recomends something to me I know it's going to be utter trash. Still a nice fellow though but his taste in everything as pleb as it gets.
>>
>>339135276
You are far too naive. People release products they know to be shit all the time to make money.
>>
>>339135529
It just proves my point
>>
>>339134785
I think it's possible to like a low quality product. I don't believe anybody consistently has shit taste though
>>
Shit taste is unironically liking anything designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator
Like mobile casual games and anime
>>
>>339135623
But how do you know it is his taste that is shit and not yours?
>>
Yes, people who think that things are subjective are only rationalizing their own narrow horizons.
>>
>>339134785
yeah, something can be so bad that it is shit taste from an objective perspective
for example, liking the 32x DOOM BGM for the way it sounds is shit taste
It's just not good at all and even playing it as a kid, I thought the music was crap compared to the way it sounded on my computer at the time
>>
>>339135706
And fallout 4
>>
No, "shit" taste or "good" taste have absolutely no meaning as people will always try to sell their own views om things as the best possible thing, those discussions are only about flinging as much shit as possible to any opposing thought for self-validation.
>>
>>339135706
This.
>>
>>339135753
Because it is not only me that feels this way. Most of the people in our circle of friends think he has a shit taste.
>>
Yes but it's all about perspective.
>>
>>339136030
What if everyone you know, except him, has shit taste?

It's very possible.
>>
>>339136030
but then you're saying the popular opinion is the correct one. FO4 is very popular relative to other video games.
>>
File: ztOkPig.gif (468 KB, 450x243) Image search: [Google]
ztOkPig.gif
468 KB, 450x243
>>339134785
No, only shit people.
>>
I don't know if I can really call someone else's taste shit but there are some things people like that I will never be able to understand. MOBA's for one. Another is point and click adventures, now those games are enjoyable but what I don't understand is buying them. There's really no replayability there, once you've finished it once it's essentially nothing but an interactive book for every playthrough after that. And speaking of interactive books I also do not understand the appeal of visual novels.
>>
>>339136161
That's like saying people are done with books after reading them. It's quite common to revisit books you have read and it's no different for point and clicks or VNs.
>>
>>339136161
because some people buy things every time even if they don't plan on replaying them. it's not really a taste thing more of an ethical thing if anything
>>
>>339136268
A point and click adventure does not have the... I can't think of a word to describe what it's in my head but I just can't see it the same way as a book. I own a lot of books and those were good purchases but a point and click adventure just is not on the same level as a book.
>>
>>339134785
Yes. See: >>339134804
>>
>>339136387
writing quality? it's a bit of a mixed bag on both fronts
>>
>>339134785
I think the only people who say others have shit taste are people with massively inflated egos.
>>
>>339136479
So most of the internet?
>>
>>339135306
>>339135306
>>339135306
>>339135306

underrated post
>>
>>339136387
A book is a story told via words.
A point'n'click vidya is a story told via pictures and sounds, and requires some basic interaction.
How do you treat comics for example? Those would be somewhat inbetween.
>>
>>339136387
I guess I can agree on that. Most point and clicks are quirky adventurey type games that don't really reach the same level a book does, but I have revisited a few of them and enjoyed them. I'd never pay more than $20 for one though.
>>
Yes because how can anyone like Marie over Callie?

Rei over Asuka

and I know i had another
>>
>>339134785
When "normalfags" or any kind of alien group start to flow into a fandom, not only they cause a degeneration in the fanbase (for reasons that are irrelevant for this thread), but they also end up affecting the game/series/books/whatever that fandom is based on due to the providers/developers beginning to apply the rule of "until the dumbest guy of the room understands it" to improve the overall gains.

What this means is that normally, you get something that is good, and when they start to appeal to the lowest common denominator they change things. While there are some exceptions out there where the "game/series/etc" gets better, they normally change things for the guys who haven't been there enough time to appreciate them, in other words, they change the things that made it good in the first place.
So it stops from being something unique to be one of thousands which appeal to a group that doesn't take that specific subject like a serious hobby, it's only a way to kill time for them, so they gulp down that shit no problem.
However, if you watch those same people in hobbies they take seriously, let's say sports for example, you'll observe they reject this kind of things in something they actually love.

So yes, the concept of "objectively shit taste" can exist. The fact that it was a concept created by the human mind doesn't matter: we're humans, so for us it makes sense.

A great example of what I've said is what happened to UO: it was arguably the best MMORPG that has ever existed. Then the WoW boom came and UO, like many others, try to imitate it only to become a parody of what it was.
Now, every new game in that genre tries to imitate and be the new WoW only to fail, instead of trying something different that while it won't be as popular, it'll work (like EVE did).
>>
>>339136526
I still think of books and comics as a tighter and more robust experience than a point and click adventure. They all tell you a story but in an adventure game like that you go from place to place solving little puzzles and there's some shallow character interaction. They don't have the same scale of conflict, drama, story and character depth you'll find in novels and comics/graphic novels.
>>
I think there are two types of shit taste, which are really just the opposite extremes of the same scale.

The first is unrefined taste or sticking to stuff you expect to like instead of trying something different and discovering what you really like.

The second is niched taste where you give so much value to something unimportant that your taste become completely irrelevant to other people and vice versa.

A good taste is somewhere between the previous extremes.
>>
>>339135250
I'm dumb. Explain this in terms an idiot like me can understand.
>>
Yes. Bur it's for a minority of people.
>>
>>339136853
I kinda do get what you're saying, most of time ist's exactly like that. But then again quality of content is not dictated by the way it's presented. A book can be simple and shallow. A game can have an awesome story and scale.
I sometimes think it's all only because books are old and considered wise, mature etc. while games as a relatively new medium are considered childish, just a way of short burst entertainment.
>>
>>339134785
Absolutely.
>>
>>339134785
yes
because you can objectively tell whether a game is good or not, just like with movies, books and music
>>
>>339137765
not entirely, there's elements that always fall into subjectivity for all of those
>>
>>339134875
This.
>>
>>339135308
There is also something like too much acceptance, if people seriously think police academy is a series of good movies, that´s shit taste, and no amount of respect for others should stop you from realizing how shit this person´s taste really is.
>>
>>339137765
Quality does not necessarily impact a person´s enjoyment, neither does enjoying automatically make the person assume that the game is good.

You can have fun with bad things and still be aware of the shittiness.
>>
>>339134785
ofcourse. you know you're a piece of shit when you like weeb shit in general
>>
>>339134785
Most deffinitely. I'm not some tool that just equates "thing I don't like" with "bad", either. There are many things I personally don't care for, but can still appreciate the craft therein. Sometimes, though, there are people that will profess a genuine love for shit. Sometimes literally! They are objectively wrong. That's the thing about opinions. Everyone is entitled to them, but this does not somehow magically protect them from being wrong.
>>
>>339135276
Yeah, Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing was made with great love and affection.
>>
Look around at all the Overwatch threads. Yes there is a such thing as shit taste.
>>
Yes, if your favourite piece of surrealist art is a still life painting of a fruit bowl you have shit taste
>>
objectively, I guess not

even so, I will never be ok with anyone liking something like Other M
>>
File: r4524.png (643 KB, 1355x791) Image search: [Google]
r4524.png
643 KB, 1355x791
>>339134804
Of course.
>>
>>339141201
that's not taste, though. That's not knowing what surrealist art is.
Just beause I say "imo" doesn't actually make it an opinion (obviously the other way around as well)
>>
Yeah

People who think Sunshine is a good game
>>
>>339141313

Yet when I say that a blank canvas or someone's shit smeared on a wall isn't art suddenly that's "subjective"
>>
Weeaboos exist as irrefutable proof that shit taste is real.
>>
>>339134785
Yeah
People who play nothing but cod amd fifa have shit taste

It's not a difficult concept. Some people are dumb. I don't know why this surprises people.

I know a guy that's like 25 whose favorite movies are transformers and listens to nothing but avenged sevenfold. You just can't explain some people other than acknowledging that they put no thought or effort into their opinions and sometimes prefer things that are outright bad.
>>
There isn't, because taste is subjective. There is no such thing as "objectively good taste" to compare tastes to.
>>
I don't get why people like these Bethshit games. I tried Morrowind and it was shitfest filled with cringe everything, Oblivion was garbage with so much clunky stuff, Skyrim was meme game with nothing above mediocre.

Why do people love sucking Bethesda's dick so much? All there games are low-tier garbage filled with mediocre stuff.
>>
>>339134785
Yes but its rare.
Comparing it to someone that acctully likes eating literal shit.

Pribably someones how favorite game is gone home or somthing.
>>
>>339136996
Enjoying things is bad, according to Buddhism.
>>
>>339141746
I will defend oblivion tooth and nail. It's the definition of a shit covered diamond.
>>
>>339134785
No, you can like or dislike whatever you want.

However, there is an objective thing called quality
and consumers have been manipulated over the years to be contempt with less and less of it.

That's why our current media are severely lacking and most people are still happy with it.

Also a lack of comparative knowledge and experience enhances this even further,
making people believe something that is relatively mediocre for it's type is "the best thing ever" because they have nothing to compare it to.

i.e.: "Game of Thrones is the best fantasy novel series ever."
>>
Sure, but I also think the vision of shit taste varies from one person to another. Meaning there is no "universal shit taste".
Simply meaning: opinions.
>>
Yes.
It's ok to like different things and that essentially means shitty things exists.
>>
>>339142015
>However, there is an objective thing called quality
But how do you define this quality, which varies from one medium to another?
>>
>>339134804
Meh, oblivion felt like a weird transition thing to me, it hadn't completely done away with the freedom, but quite a bit was gone.
I just wanna levitate and sprint across an ocean, mayn.
>>
>>339142015
Quality is only objective as far as it is quantifiable.

For instance, in the case of something like Big Rigs, the lack of quality is apparent. There's no collision with anything, the trucks accelerate infinitely when reversing etc.

However, when we remove ourselves from such obvious examples, quality becomes much harder to quantify. Many people would argue that Morrowind is a more quality product than Oblivion, for example, but they cannot really prove that to be the case, objectively, because what they consider quality in Morrowind might not be what the people who prefer Oblivion call quality.
>>
>>339136161
Well, you don't need a game to be replayable to enjoy it, they're just rather fun stories, plus you can see new stuff that you may have missed the first time round, i suppose it's just a niche for interactive books.
>>
>>339142059
And that only leads to "correct opinions" (aka. mine) and "incorrect opinions" (aka. not mine), since neither opinion nor taste can be measured.
>>
>>339142218
>levitate
But that was banned and everyone just forgot about it lmao.
still mad
>>
>>339140973
This, i don't like gone home as a game but i can understand the appeal of a what is at it's core a first person adventure game.
>>
>>339142337
Exactly, which is completely silly.
>>
>>339141746
They fill a niche of freedom, i can't think of many games where you can magically chuck an apple at a dudes face.
>>
>>339142370
Yeah, that was silly, i really hope that TES6 is gonna be more freedom focused, stuff like acrobatics and unarmoured were neat and i don't see why they had to go.
>>
>>339142541
Streamlined gameplay was the selling point of Skyrim. Casual players interested in the series don't want to be held back by arbitrary numbers.
>>
>>339141504
which still has nothing to do with taste.
the example was surrealist, a term that objectively does not apply to a fruit bowl.

not defending retarded artistic concepts here btw, fuck those people
>>
>>339142651
It's not even being held bakc by arbitrary numbers though, skyrim wouldn't lose anything if more options were available, i'd say that having the action based levels and skill trees would make practically anything understandable.
>>
Yes and no. I think there are things that have more depth and more to offer and that gives those things more value. However I also think this shit has been totally skewed these days into "anything that is popular is shit taste" which is completely untrue. There are some things I enjoy for very simple reasons and it is annoying being told or at least thought by elitists pretentious morons you have shit taste.

If I talk about something that isn't so popular it's cool but then to some people (many people who like to fling around "shit taste") but the moment you talk about the newest big release (in any medium) you get judged. I don't even know where I'm going with this anymore this shit just annoys me at times. Although it's the worst with music fags, gaming not so bad because there's so many shitty companies and games.
>>
>>339134785
No. In reality, people should and can enjoy whatever the fuck they want. I know this but there are some tastes I don't think are good and I disagree with.
>>
>>339134804
Oblivion was a middle ground between RPG and whatever the fuck Skyrim is.
Basically trash.
>>
>>339140973
i agree
>>
>>339140973
So, what makes an opinion wrong?
>>
>>339134785
>Do you truly believe there is such a thing as "shit taste"?
Deffinitely, and it's not only people who only plays casual stuff but also those who think every mediocre hipster game is good just because it's obscure.
>>
>>339142143
>>339142249
By using categories.

Obviously there are categories that some people care about and some don't but you can still evaluate them fairly objectively (complete objectivity is not possible).

Worldbuilding, for example, is pretty important to roleplaying games.

The worldbuilding in Morrowind is pretty sound.
There are factions, all interacting with and reacting to each other in some way, political conflicts, religious conflicts, intrigue, mythology, history etc etc.
You are able to scrutinize the game world and you are rewarded for it with insight and believability.

Oblivion doesn't have most of this and as a result slowly starts to feel static and fake when you begin to look closer.

Skyrim is in some ways better than at it than Oblivion but there are some elements to it that arguably render all of it void.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZUynhkal1I
>>
>>339134785

Absolutely. But not in the way you think. Liking a certain game is always okay. Likeing for example oblivion over morrowind and skyrim is an opinion, a personal taste, and people can't say anything against it really. Then when can you speak of shit taste? Simple, you know it when you see it, it hits you like a truck. It's not the person minding his own business playing the games of his choice, it's the perverted manchild who deforms certain experiences into an ethetic mess. It's not the kid playing oblivion because he enjoys it, It's the faggot who mods oblivion or skyrim so that npc's and his characters look like anime characters, and changes the game so that it looks half unrecognizable with weird non TES like shit, despite the atmospheres and esthetics respective to the original game.

I just used elder scrolls as an example. Also don't conclude from this that I have anything agains weebs or jap games, not at all.
>>
>>339143019
Preferring something that is almost objectively worse than an alternative

For example, if someone was to say that they prefer Mount & Blade 1 to Mount & Blade: Warband, I would say they have shit taste as Warband is an improvement in almost every single way
>>
>>339143417

You can't objectively set standards of quality worldbuilding though, there's really no winning with the "everything is only an opinion" mode of thought, which is why I dislike it, it leads to cultural decline when you expect society to treat a discarded tampon and the Mona Lisa as if they're on the same level.

Thanks dadaism
>>
>>339134785
How ironic you're asking the center of shit taste
>>
>>339134785

It exists, but it's rare.

Guy I live with is one of the rare cases. He's the biggest Xboner alive, his choice of games includes shit like FIFA and WWE. He's highly defensive of this and he'll rationalize everything with "Xbox just feels better" or "it doesn't feel right on PS4/PC".
>>
>>339143019
Opinion is wrong once it starts going against fatcs. But then it pretty much stops being an opinion in the first place.
>>
>>339134804
This. Hardest, best quests, most interesting NPC's, best combat, best scaling, largest world size, best mods, best story.

Only thing it fell short on was dungeon design.
>>
>>339144031
>best story
>>
>>339144031
>hardest
>best combat
>best scaling
>BEST STORY
>>
>>339144031

>Hardest

Daggerfall

>Best Quests

Morrowind

>most interesting NPC's

I'll give you this

>best combat

Skyrim

>best scaling

Scaling is shit and Oblivion is the guide on how to do it the worst

>largest world size

Daggerfall

>best mods

Arguable

>best story

kek
>>
>>339143019
Usually when people have to preface or conclude their opinions with "It's just my opinion." as a shield to deflect ciriticism or avoid having to defend it.
>>
File: Interracial NTR cuck.jpg (79 KB, 496x515) Image search: [Google]
Interracial NTR cuck.jpg
79 KB, 496x515
If you like a game because "its fun" but can't explain what makes it fun. You have shit taste
>>
>>339141746
For me they're kinda unique among the open-world styled games. I mean you might say but what about Gothic,Witcher 3 etc...But they just don't have the same type of freedom and feel I'm looking for.
>>339142473
Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.