[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
GTA IV PC
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6
File: maxresdefault.jpg (179 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
179 KB, 1920x1080
Is it true that GTA IV is poorly optimized in PC? I just installed it earlier and there's just no way to get around of the infuriating lag. I've tweaked my settings from highest to low and there's just no way. I get 12-20 fps. Then I tried this command line fix (google it) then I got average of 29 fps and still struggling to make it higher.
>>
>>339122571
welcome to the group
>>
It has always been a shitty port since day 1
>>
>>339123096
But there's been people that got it to play at like 40 fps with not a high-end pc...
>>
>>339123313
yet there's been many more with monster pc's that get 25fps if they can even get it to not crash
>>
>>339122571
Get Process Lasso, set process priority class to high priority, set I/O priority to high and mark 'Classify as a game'.

Download Windows System Timer Tool and make sure it's set to 0.5ms.

And yes, GTA IV is a disaster optimization wise.
>>
>>339123313
It's even got problems at a good fps. I couldn't finish the last mission because it's tied to fps and mine was too high.
>>
Its not kind on shitty hardware unlike GTA V which was rebuilt for PC.
>>
>>339123870
Okay, so I did what you told me + got this new command line it changed my resolution to the shitties and everything is on low but I was happily to get 34 fps. The lag isn't quite noticable anymore. Oh, well..
>>
You can't even play it on PC anymore, GFWL is down and Rockstar Social Club always-on DRM fucks with everything.
>>
>>339122571
it runs fine unless you're using ancient pirated version. use xliveless to get rid of gfwl and have fun.
>>
It's playable for the most part. One of the endings is fucked up if you don't lock your FPS to 30 or something. I literally couldn't finish the mission because the game would glitch and my character wouldn't be able to complete the QTE until I locked my FPS down.
>>
yes, it's terribly optimized for PC
same goes for Saints Row 2 and 3 which is a shame because I really wanted to play these games
mustard race amirite
>>
>>339125292
Well, In terms of real optimization for bad console ports, that's all i know that really works. Everything else i have tested is snake oil.

What is your processor anyway? GTA IV is extremely cpu bound.
>>
>>339122571
no, it runs well enough.
did u hear that from salty sonyggers?
>>
>>339126214
i thought SR3 ran well, but SR2 just breaks all the time sadly
>>
File: letaxiface.webm (2 MB, 900x503) Image search: [Google]
letaxiface.webm
2 MB, 900x503
git gud. but yeah i read it hates AMD
>>
>>339125914
link meeeee
>>
>>339126214
Saints row 2 and 3 runs well on me.
>>
>>339128087
damn, how i wish i could play it with that kind of graphics
>>
>>339123920
Hah, funny
>>
>>339128562
sent :)
>>
>>339128818
I don't know if you're joking or not, but I'm serious. There's a part where you need to climb into a helicopter and you mash spacebar, but you cannot mash it fast enough to get in because it's tied to the fps. Since it was well over 30, it must've multiplied the amount of presses you needed in the same amount of time. I had already beaten it on console and a shittier PC in the past so I just said fuck it and stopped playing.
>>
File: images.jpg (6 KB, 241x209) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6 KB, 241x209
>>339128990
I am and I believe you.

>>339128975
seriously, please :-(
>>
>>339126371
is there some kind of best patch that people use? Some say is 1040 / 1020 patch. Today I'm using 1070
>>
>>339122571
GTA IV is a terrible PC port that is at best barely playable when downloaded and at worst broken on Steam. There is absolutely no point in playing any GTA game post San Andreas on PC, and that includes GTA V. Rockstar have made it abundantly clear that they give zero shits about the PC market and that their GTA PC ports are cash-ins. If you don't have a Playstation of Xbox, just forget about current gen GTA.
>>
>>339129807
V is a pretty good PC version
>>
>>339129927
MP3 and GTAV are excellent ports. Even more so when you compare GTA V to other open world games.
>>
GTA IV has "better" graphics than GTA V

Sure it has worse overall lighting, but the shadows are fucking insane, and the city is fucking massive instead of 80% of the area being dirt

And my 360 only went from 15-25 fps in it, so im not surprised my decent computer cant manage perfect 60fps when the graphics are set way way higher

I kinda remember it having a problem getting up to 60 actually, i think i fixed it though, or it somehow runs better with better texture packs

Probably a .ini or .cfg edit or using nvidia's v-sync or something
>>
>>339129927
Nah V has a huge memory leak issue. It doesn't affect all PCs but when it does it freezes everything and can only be resolved by hard-resetting the computer. That is absolutely unforgivable in this day and age.
When it runs, it's fine, but when it crashes, it can potentially damage your PC. That is just a shitload of bullshit right there.
>>
It's an unoptimized piece of shit, mainly on the CPU end but it isn't exactly GPU friendly either

2500k + R9 380 could probably run it just fine at 60+fps nowadays and you could build a PC up to that spec for under $500 if you know what you're doing
>>
>>339129927
>>339130085
They run great, sure, but that just means they can sell it to more poor assholes in the third world with shitty connections who dont speak english and hack to make up for getting 35 FPS

They still fuck us in the ass with "periodic entitlement verifications" that block you from playing it at all if the game isnt ran with a working internet connection every two fucking days, so if you travel and you dont have internet you can get fucked if you want to play your game
>>
File: 1442403447410.jpg (32 KB, 388x392) Image search: [Google]
1442403447410.jpg
32 KB, 388x392
>GTA 4 was 8 years ago
>>
>>339130156
i have over 500 hours in the game and im not sure thats ever happened to me for any reason caused by the game.. or at all

it used to crash a lot actually, but i just alt tab and hit close or whatever
>>
>>339130539
I have a custom built rig with a GTX 670 and ran into the hard freeze issue multiple times within two hours of play. I've also seen several threads on it and know it's not an isolated issue, and the frequency corresponds with other users' experiences. Yeah it might be a bad luck configuration on all of our parts but it's more likely a huge oversight with the way Rockstar ported the game regarding certain mainstream hardware components.
>>
>>339130783
maybe set the priority of it to high for the CPU in task manager or something, i might have set the registry to do this automatically

i think it might have happened to me before but not recently
>>
>>339130534
you're a fucking idiot
>>
>>339130156
>hard-resetting the computer
You mean just holding down the power button?

>when it crashes, it can potentially damage your PC
How the fuck can it damage it? The hard drive would be the only thing that would be most susceptible from a hard shutdown, and even then they're not so delicate nowadays.
>>
File: 1453101190064.jpg (30 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1453101190064.jpg
30 KB, 500x500
>>339133078
>You mean just holding down the power button?
That is literally what hard resetting means? Are you not from this century?
>>
File: speccy.png (36 KB, 660x524) Image search: [Google]
speccy.png
36 KB, 660x524
>>339122571
It never quite achieved locked 60, but with night shadows down one notch and ICEnhacer I was getting 40 to 90, depending on what was going on.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.