[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Nicolas Winding Refn >Director: Drive, Only God Forgives
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 12
File: maxresdefault.jpg (54 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
54 KB, 1280x720
>Nicolas Winding Refn
>Director: Drive, Only God Forgives

>Watching the trailers for Metal Gear Solid V makes you wonder if the spirits of Dostoyevsky, Stanley Kubrick, and Caravaggio entered Hideo Kojima’s body because, using the art of gaming as his canvas, he boldly goes where no one has gone before.

>The trailers for Metal Gear Solid V prove once again that Hideo Kojima is a master at portraying a wider and more complex view of human nature combined with breathtaking action sequences. A daring and bold move from one of the founders of the future of technology. With Metal Gear Solid V, Hideo Kojima has created the perfect marriage of cinematic storytelling and cutting edge gaming technology. For me, it all culminates into one word: Genius.

What went wrong?
>>
Refn should shut up and make movies with excellent atmosphere, thats what he's good at.

I recommend my favourite of his, Valhalla Rising. Kino in its purest form. True kinematographique art.
>>
To be fair, the trailers of MGSV were better than the actual game.
>>
>>339122447
Kojima couldn't handle budgeting and cost Konami 80 million for an unfinished game.

The worst of Peacewalker was incorporated into MGSV so the whole game is spent fultoning guards so you can wait 12 days in real time to develop equipment.

Too much time and money was spend developing an open world that was empty with no incentive to explore since it is all covered in the main missions.
>>
File: mza_713610779623051545.jpg (1 MB, 1400x2100) Image search: [Google]
mza_713610779623051545.jpg
1 MB, 1400x2100
>Trailers were more interesting than the finished product.
Kinda like Refn's other movie starring Ryan Gosling nobody talks about.
>>
>>339122447
The game is on that level as well.
>>
>>339122845
That was a good movie though. Pretty underrated desu.
>>
They weren't even directed that well. I guarantee that everyone that enjoys MGS has never watched a good movie
>>
>>339122447
Nothing

The presentation of MGS5 is sublime.
>>
>>339122845
So is it good or not? I like Gosling and I like Refn's movie, Bronson-- a lot
>>
>>339122665
This will forever be true, the MGSV trailers were fucking god tier.
>>
>>339122447
Kojima can make movies, but he fails at scripts and making some fucking sense.
>feels, action and epic music
>...what do you mean the plot has to make sense?
>>
>>339123038
It's kinda meh compared to Drive. Basically Gosling is an assassin for hire with Oedipus Complex who refuses to kill his brother's killer and gets into trouble with his mom. And there's some Karaoke-singing cop guy who cuts people's arms with his blade.
>>
>>339123562
Why are you spoiling the movie? And it doesn't really compare to Drive at all.
>>
>>339122447
he's absolutely right about the trailers, they're the best trailers i've ever seen for anything, and put in context for a metal gear fan, they were positively orgasmic
in retrospect it was obvious that there was no chance in hell the game was ever going to live up to that
>>
>>339122845
OGF was good fuck off.
>>
>>339124017
Kojima should work as an editor or director with no part in writing. The guy has geniune talent but he pushes too much on himself.
>>
>>339122447
I actually think Kojima is a good game designer but he's fucking trash at making movies. Metal Gear Solid 1 is the only game in the series that doesn't have fucking awkward directing during the cutscenes. Each game that proceeds it gets worse and worse with that shit, odd focusing with the camerawork, awkward pauses, and all kinds of flow-killing crap such as stilted dialogue and in Metal Gear Solid 5 nonsensical slow-motion sequences for no fucking reason.

I also have always thought that the guy who directs the American dialogue should be shot, as the voice acting in every game just feels like it gets cornier and less believable the further in the series we go. I didn't believe it was possible but fucking Metal Gear Solid 5 continued the downward spiral - perpetuating my opinion.

I love this series but honestly what the fuck Kojima. I seriously believe technology got away from him.
>>
>>339124983
I think the problem is that he feels a responsibility to take full responsibility for literally everything. If it's good, it's on him. If it's bad, it's on him. He doesn't seem to like pointing the finger at other people; if he directed something that someone else wrote, I feel like he'd take all the credit for it whether it turned out a masterpiece or a total trainwreck.

I mean, he must know MGSV was rocky, but he's not once blamed anyone at Konami despite us knowing they played at least some small part in it.
>>
>>339122447
Kojima should make a movie using a game engine.

I'd watch a movie length cutscene.
>>
File: julien_merceron_1.jpg (411 KB, 850x638) Image search: [Google]
julien_merceron_1.jpg
411 KB, 850x638
>>339125321
Yeah the guy who helped KojiPro basically said Kojima was extremely hands-on with Fox Engine even though it's not even his area of expertise. The guy is an all-purpose dev who does something of everything. Miyazaki does the same but I think Miyazaki has had better results with his hands-on approach lately than Kojima has had.
>>
File: 1458720835628.gif (750 KB, 270x300) Image search: [Google]
1458720835628.gif
750 KB, 270x300
>We're not burying them at sea?
>What then?

MGSV had no right to be so shitty
>>
File: kojima-tweet.png (328 KB, 620x587) Image search: [Google]
kojima-tweet.png
328 KB, 620x587
>has made tons of friends in Hollywood
>doesn't even speak the language
How the fuck does he do it? Carpenter was going to sue Konami for ripping off Escape from NY if he wasn't friends with Kojima.
>>
>>339122447
The trailers were well-edited, but even then I thought the story looked like a likely mess. It appeared as though Kojimbo was going to tell us all about how Big Boss was a dick in the most heavy-handed ways imaginable. What we got was still heavy-handed, but nonetheless.
>>
>>339126369
he can speak english it's his accent that's shit.
>>
>>339126869
>he can speak english
He really can't. Do you remember his VGA presentation with S-SORRY? I'm still embarrassed over that.
>>
>>339122447
Well he is right about the trailers being god tier.
Too bad the game didn't live up to them. I mean it wasn't bad but it wasn't great either.
>>
File: chico.jpg (368 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
chico.jpg
368 KB, 1280x720
Ground Zeroes is Kojima at the peak of his game. If MGSV was like GZ with its grittiness and semi-open stages, it would've been true what Refn is saying. I really felt like MGSV was going to be the game that finally made Kojima shine after playing GZ but now I realize that GZ is as good as it gets.
>>
>>339126921
He can't speak the language under pressure.

He was basically dropping his spaghetti.
>>
>>339123038
It looks great and sounds great but it isn't very engaging. I don't really recommend it, it's trying hard to be contemplatuve without ever giving you much to contemplate, which makes it feel pretty dull.
>>
>>339127370
Yea pretty much. GZ was literally hitting those MGS1/2 numbers in terms of presentation and progression, then it just went to hell.
>>
>>339127590
It really doesn't try to be contemplative. I don't know why people often mistakenly assume that a movie tries to be deep when it's fairly straightforward. The atmosphere and pacing sets it apart.
>>
MGS V was good, could have been much better if only Kojima finished the goddamn game.
>>
>>339128750
He was still going to pull the retarded Fight Club twist even if he finished it.
>>
>>339128796
Literally nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>339122570
>Refn
>Kino

hahahaha, right, whatever you say son
>>
>>339128796
The story was always going to be Kojima/10

Its the gameplay that was fucked up
>>
>>339122447
>one of the founders of the future of technology

Can someone explain what this even means to me? My brain hurts trying to understand what the fuck this is even supposed to mean.
>>
>>339128925
He's saying Kojima is one of the men laying the groundwork for future technological advancements.

He's not particularly wrong, but his wording is fucked up. I dont think English is Refn's first language.
>>
>>339123038
The fight scene is worth the watch alone. Good choreography is rare these day, plus that score. Drive and Bronson are easier to like, though.
>>
>>339128834
It really was. The idea of the twist was to insert the player into the role of Big Boss. But Kojima already did this in MGS2 and he pulled it off way better back then because it was well integrated with the overall story of the game. In MGSV, it just presents even more plot holes and makes you care less about the characters and story knowing it's all basically just a spin-off when it should've been the missing piece between PW and MG1.
>>
>>339125170
He writes like a high school kid. Its really cringey. His dialogue in 5 is embarrassingly bad, if it wasnt an established franchise people would shit all over it
>>
Why does everyone talk so much shit about MGSV? Not only is Hideo happy with the product, but the game is fun as fuck in a lot of peoples' opinions. You realize you can turn off all of the shitty shooter options, right? You didn't play the game with Reflex Mode on, did you? The trailers had a certain cinematic flare, while the game delivers with awesome mechanics/gameplay.
>>
>>339122964
>everyone that enjoys MGS has never seen a good movie

What is:
Prisoners
Blue Ruin
Beyond the Black Rainbow
Hush
The Departed(Eng.)
Fantastic Mr. Fox
>>
>>339129153
One of the highlights of being an MGS fan is shitting all over the writing.

MGS writing hasnt been good since 2, and even then MGS1 was the only one with a decent localization. The rest are fansubbed anime tier.
>>
>>339129190
>Not only is Hideo happy with the product
No he's not. Check his early September tweets, he literally said he cant even play his own game at home because there's so much shit he wants to fix but cant.

And if you hear his recent interviews, you can tell he's fucking traumatized by what happened, to the point he's really keeping it humble for the next game.
>>
Only God Forgives was shit, Drive was alright though.

Sounds like your typical hipster trying to make things deeper than theya ctually are because its in their DNA to be as pretentious as possible
>>
>>339129094
Game would have been better if it wasnt connected to the main canon at all anwd just did its own thing. Like big boss just in some alternate universe story. No patriots tie in, no nanomachine tie in, no continuity, kinda like a james bond type thing.
>>
>>339129253
MGS3 had the best writing. MGS2's storytelling is a mess of constant small cutscenes fucking gameplay over with constant technobabble. MGS3 is the geniune MGS experience. The characters have become iconic as fuck while the story does a nice blend between Bond and Japanese OVA's of the 80's.
>>
>>339129479
>MGS3 is the geniune MGS experience

>This is what MGS3fags actually believe.
>>
>>339129562
>implying its not better than 2

What's wrong? Don't even like to go outside in vidya??
>>
>>339129479
MGS3 is literally when the series began its nosedive, its not even a debate.

2 may have its shortcomings but at least it had more going for it than footnotes of themes already covered in MGS1.

The only good characters in 3 were Ocelot and Volgin, the Boss is a joke and Naked Snake is infinitely more bland than even Raiden. Plus the Cobras were literally Pokemon.
>>
>>339129754
How is it not a debate. The characters interactions are great, the only thing I resent is all the plot being explained after the games over

Give an actual reason its not good. I know mgs4 is trash but be real
>>
>>339129479
MGS3 is actually pretty boring in terms of writing. The entire game's story is built largely on a relationship with zero emotional interest until after one of the characters is already dead. MGS3 succeeded over MGS2 in terms of presentation, but he writing is pretty bland. Naked Snake in particular is very dull. The game has a great ending, though.

I like MGS2's gameplay a lot more than MGS3's, too.
>>
>>339129918
I already told you, the plot and the characters were mostly superficial. The only ones with actual presence were Ocelot and Volgin. The support team was fine enough but MGS1 integrated its team into the story much better, they actually felt like they were part of the story instead of just being joke machines. And the Cobras are so poorly integrated into the story its embarrassing compared to Foxhound and even DeadCell, even MGS2 wasnt that lazy.

The definitive MGS experience is MGS1 and 2 back to back. MGS as a concept pretty much ends there. Everything else is supplementary.
>>
>>339130198
Dead Cell are actually incorporated into the story better than FOXHOUND. Fatman, Vamp, and Fortune all have big impact on the actual plot and thematic content.
>>
>>339129754
>Plus the Cobras were literally Pokemon.
Just, stop. Watch an 90's OVA and you'll see what inspired the Cobras. Maybe you are too young.
>>
>>339130369
Maybe you're too in love with shit writing. They're undeniably a huge step down from the likes of Foxhound and DeadCell.
>>
>>339130035
That's what I feel the series lost after 2, good indoor areas.

Large outdoor spaces are good in contrast, but can usually be bested by taking a roundabout route, or finding good cover to engage all the enemies.
One of the parts I enjoyed the most in V was the game's only extensive indoor area, the Mansion in the (tiny) jungle section in Africa, and you only really go there for two missions. It could also pretty much be bypassed by drawing out the guards with an alert and killing them in heavy combat, instead of having to sneak through the structure.
>>
>>339130337
I think fox hound and the cobras are almost equal, with an edge to foxhound. I felt like fox hound was pretty irrelevant outside of liquid mantis and ocelot.

And cobras were overall irrelevant to volgin ocelot and the boss.
>>
File: 1413040526688.gif (3 MB, 496x472) Image search: [Google]
1413040526688.gif
3 MB, 496x472
>>339129754
>Volgin
>good character
This is how I know you're havin' a giggle.
Shit, even Ocelot is pushing it because the only good thing about his character is the "I was only pretending to be retarded and actually masterminded EVERYTHING all along", which only happens after the damn credits have already rolled.
>>
>>339130772
Foxhound were more relevant to Snake as a character rather than strictly plot developments, the way he related to each of them was something special that you dont see in the other games.
>>
>>339122447
Faggots who started with 4 and the HD Collection were triggered that the game wasn't just cutscenes and hallways.
>>
>>339130863
Senpai I already said MGS3s story was shit, I'm actually TRYING to find something good to say about it.

As characters, Volgin and Ocelot were the most entertaining. Thats a fact.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2015-02-28-17h35m23s211.png (916 KB, 976x720) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2015-02-28-17h35m23s211.png
916 KB, 976x720
>>339130772
Sorrow and Joy were both part of the Cobras. It's just that MGS3 had more boss fights than MGS2 so they had to make more Cobra characters than just the story essential. People who say that some Cobra members were useless don't understand that sometimes story can be sacrificed to better serve gameplay. It's not like anyone was out of place or anything. They all had a purpose in gameplay.
>>
>>339130987
We're talking completely in context of story. Stop diverting.
>>
>>339131023
We were talking about what was best out of Dead Cell or Cobras. I'm saying that Cobras are better because Cobras give you more great boss fights than Dead Cell does. Where exactly is the conversation limited to just story? This whole thing started because someone said Dead Cell was better than Cobras, which I disagree with.

It's also prettty retarded to talk about story as if it was completely independent of gameplay. Hell it's exactly why MGS2's story isn't as effective. Because it doesn't meld with gameplay as well as MGS3's story does.
>>
>>339130987
Yeah. I like them. Im just chiming in on all the anons and their rankings. I think from a gameplay stand point theyre my favorite unit. They all had the most fun mechanics aside from maybe the pain, but even hes pretty fun if you use weird tech mechanics like smoke grenades and shit to beat him.
>>
>>339130701
Agreed. I was disappointed that there weren't any building interiors in TPP. But then again maybe that was a good thing seeing how atrociously bad and unfit the game's stealth system is for close quarters.
>>
>>339131132
>This whole thing started because someone said Dead Cell was better than Cobras, which I disagree with.
This whole thing started because I brought up the Cobra's weak utilization as another negative point against MGS3's story, which is what we were discussing. And I specifically said even Dead Cell was better utilized than Cobras, which they were.

As far as gameplay goes they were also pretty much filler, the game dosent even really start until after you beat The End, you can cut them out of the game and you wont miss anything substantial.

If you cut Fortune or Fatman you miss out a significant chunk of the game, hell if you even cut out Sniper Wolf or Vulcan Raven thats alot gone. The Cobras are just there, another hallmark of MGS3s superficiality.
>>
>>339130198
>The definitive MGS experience is MGS1 and 2 back to back.
Good taste. After playing all of the games (except PO) back to back to get ready for V (imagine my disappointment) I can say for sure that 1-2 is the definitive experience for sure.
>>
WHO /HYPEFORNEONDEMON/ HERE?
>>
>>339131287
>good boss fights are filler
Sorry, I didn't know I was talking to a faggot. This conversation is over.
>>
>>339131387
The only good ones of the Cobras are the Fury and The End

Besides, good job failing to divert the topic you autistic prick.
>>
>>339131290
MGS2 is the definitive disappointing AAA game, for sure.
>>
>>339131457
Thats V

Even 3 isnt that bad of a game.
>>
File: ea1.png (178 KB, 651x434) Image search: [Google]
ea1.png
178 KB, 651x434
MGSV, some cut content aside, has a great story.

You just shit on it because a lot of it is told through gameplay and tapes instead of verbose 10 hour cutscenes and because it didnt fit into what your preconceived notions of what Big Boss' fall was.
>>
I remember reading somewhere that mgsv is not finished because konami (or sony?) cut his budget somewhere mid-development. That true?
Or did Kojimbo fuck up all by himself not being able to manage the funds?

Enlighten me
>>
>>339131686
MALE
TO
FEMALE
>>
>>339131693
>Or did Kojimbo fuck up all by himself not being able to manage the funds?
Thats the long and the short of it.
>>
>>339131450
the fight with the end was so boring
>>
>>339131693
They weren't allowed to add more content a good amount of months before launch. It was Konami cutting funds.
>>
>>339131686
Venom is a better character than Naked Snake ever was so I'm not mad about the twist

I'm mad so much time and resources were wasted on stupid shit like Mother Base, Fulton and Open world instead of more minimalist and focused experiences like Ground Zeroes.
>>
>>339131686
No, it's just a mess of a story. Venom is mostly nothing at all, Skullface's grand plot is incoherent and is an underwhelmingly literal and simplistic culmination of the game's themes on race and cultural identity, Ocelot exists merely to be an info dump, Venom's existence is bizarre and fits awkwardly in the established story; Eli, Mantis, and Volgin are transparent fanservice. It just isn't good.
>>
>>339131780
Yeah and they had good reason
Fuck off kojidrone
>>
Refn has autism.
>>
>>339122845

I don't get the hate, it was fine. 2.5 stars.
>>
>>339130917
The games were always cutscenes and hallways you dumb fuck
>>
>>339132129
>Venom's existence is bizarre and fits awkwardly in the established story
>caring about canon

MGS games always tell the best stories when theyre explicitly about video games and examine the relationship between player and avatar. Who cares that it contradicts an MSX game from 30 years ago? Retcons have been part of this series since day 1.
>>
>>339129253
I absolutely agree with you man, I played all the games in a row and I was quite saddened by how much the quality of writing sunk. I still consider the first three masterpieces though.
>>
>>339133415
But even on its own terms Venom is bizarre and superfluous. His character doesn't contribute much on a thematic or plot level because he's nothing more than a player avatar meant to maximize player agency without conflicting with the story. What's more, Medic was always loyal to Big Boss and evidently stays that way even after the news is revealed to him, so what difference does it make? There's no real emotional investment other than the obvious fact Big Boss is an asshole.

Raiden represented the player, but he was still his own character. He mirrored the player more than actually stood in for the player. There's no relationship with Venom examined. It's just a "Thanks for playing!" message that carries eerie implications given what Venom and Big Boss end up doing. He's utterly pointless as a character. He just serves the gameplay.
>>
>>339122447
Literally nothing. It wasn't Stravinsky, but it was an incredible video game
>>
>>339133976
If anything his character sheds more light on how much of a cunt big boss is.
But its evident kojima either lost his ability to write a halfway competent story, got sabotaged, or ripping moby dick aand 1984 off was harder than ripping off james bond and escape from new york.
Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.