[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>see roommate play Halo 5 >ask him if he prefers controller
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4
File: GXXyO.jpg (453 KB, 1200x1176) Image search: [Google]
GXXyO.jpg
453 KB, 1200x1176
>see roommate play Halo 5
>ask him if he prefers controller or mouse + keyboard for egoshooters
>"I honestly prefer controllers, they are much better."
>watch him play a while
>he plays pretty good

BUT

>the aimhelper or whatever the fuck it´s called is very noticeable, properly tracking a target without it would be a pain in the ass though.
>whenever he gets near enemies, his aim turns from pretty good to polygon reviewer. Enemies are dashing left and right and he struggles hard to follow them because the speed he can rotate is slower than the enemies movement. The aimhelper also does not compensate it anymore.
>The limited rotation speed is especially a problem when getting shot from behind or even from the side. It takes fucking forever to just turn around. Who takes 3 seconds to turn around when he gets shot at?

There are games where controllers are better than keyboard and mouse. But not for egoshooters, how can anyone be this delusional?
>>
Is there even anything to discuss? I thought /v/ actually agrees on the matter.
>>
Mouse and keyboard are very much preferable to gamepads in real time strategy games and first person shooters.

Gamepads are better for 3D platformers and 3rd person action games.

Everything else is pretty much just preference.
>>
>>339070778
They won't know what's good until they pit themselves against a k+m opponent, Bernd.
>>
>>339070778
>the speed he can rotate is slower than the enemies movement. The aimhelper also does not compensate it anymore.
>>The limited rotation speed is especially a problem when getting shot from behind or even from the side. It takes fucking forever to just turn around. Who takes 3 seconds to turn around when he gets shot at?
these are only an issue if you leave the sensitivity at the default. if you don't turn it up to max, of course you're going to have problems.
>>
>>339070778
It's only a issue against KB+M players.
So the field is leveled given the almost lack of cross play FPS
>>
>>339071969
Bernd is actually a quite rare name, john.
>>
>>339070778
>>339072093 this.

>>339071969
>bernd
Fuck off to krautchan.
>>
>>339070778
There is more to life than competetive viability. So long as it works, it works, it doesn't need to be able to compete with KBM. So long as you have a decent amount of practice, most games are pretty playable even with 0 aim assist.
>>
>>339073216
Then you would like to play platformers with a HOTAS setup right?
It's not about being the best control anyway right?

It's a shitty argument that boils down to "it's FUN to me anyway!" and basically destroyed innovation in FPS for 15 years at this point.
>>
>>339072093
Motor function is more precise on the wrist than on the thumb. Unless you've trained like a fucking shaolin monk on a gamepad (and even then), there's no way you can best the accuracy and range of movement of the wrist.
>9 muscles on 3 spinal nerves even remotely more precise than 22+ muscles on 5 spinal nerves.
>implying thumb muscles have the same counter-movement strength to train a movement than what the wrist has
KB+M is, and always will be, superior to a gamepad for FPS/RTS games.
>>339072568
Oh, come the fuck on, who else would call an FPS an egoshooter?
Bernd, du Arschloch.
>>
>>339073512
FPS games were never innovative
>>
>>339073607
>Motor function is more precise on the wrist than on the thumb.
You're not wrong here. I'm just saying, rotation speed is only a problem is you're playing at low sensitivity.
>>
>>339073904
how is the aiming though? You rotate faster, but doesn´t that also make aiming a little harder?
>>
>>339073814
Rocket jumping, sliding in Tribes, building momentum, having 9+ weapons, physics based shooting, FPS have come a long way since DooM but shit like Perfect Dark and Halo basically regressed shooters to a poor copy of their former selves.
>>
control schemes designed around controllers, such as the third person action game lock on system, feel right on controllers
if there is only one control scheme, and it's the controller one, then yeah use a controller

otherwise i'd prefer to use raw input with keyboard/mouse on basically every genre that actually properly supports it
>>
>>339074021
I got used to it. Not sure how long it took, but max sensitivity doesn't affect my ability to aim at all.
>>
>>339074021
Naturally. You CAN train the quirks of it over time, but the error you'll have on a sudden movement will be constantly greater. Not as great as a twitch movement on a mouse, though.
>>
>>339074028
Plenty of people want to play fast paced arcade like shooters like Halo and Call of duty.

Believe it or not, "fun" isn't actually just a buzzword, and is something that some people actually try to get out of games.
>>
>Thread literally made because an autist can't handle people having different preferences
Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with you? You could be playing video games right now and instead your shitposting about other peoples preferences
>>
File: 1464109367061.png (38 KB, 499x338) Image search: [Google]
1464109367061.png
38 KB, 499x338
>>339073512
>Then you would like to play platformers with a HOTAS setup right?
But that's impractical and unplayable, controllers have numerous advantages in terms of ergonomics, versatility and ease of use when playing on the couch, and it's for that reason that their disadvantages in accuracy are endured.
>>
>>339074513
>calling a handicap a preference
Found the consolecuck.
>>
>>339074614
Idort actually. I use both, and you can be good at both pad and mouse.
>>
>>339074926
>and you can be good at both pad and mouse
Yet you'll always be better on kbm.
>>
>>339074558
>and it's for that reason that their disadvantages in accuracy are endured.
No you fucking retard, it's because consoles use them and console players outnumber PC players because there are more retards like you than people that can build a PC.
When every single FPS on consoles needs fucking AUTOAIM to be playable you know you're dead wrong.
>>
>>339073814
Splatoon, Superhot... Ace of Spades

Yeah fuck it
>>
>>339075079
>He doesn't know literal esports tournaments use controllers
>>
>>339075309
>literal SPONSORED BY <GAMING EQUIPMENT MANUFACTURER> commercials use <GAMING EQUIPMENT MANUFACTURER> products
wow really
>>
>>339075496
>B-but they could never use sponsored pc gear!
They use controllers in the tournaments because they are pros with them sperglord
>>
>>339075728
why are you so nervous that you're stutter typing your strawman?

are you that deeply shaken by having your argument completely undermined?
>>
I used to be the same as your roommate. I had played games like UT so I knew how much more precise m&k were but thought it didn't really matter because when playing shit like halo on console you are only playing against others on console. My eyes were opened when I played halo 1 and 2 on PC and then tried to go back.
>>
>>339075309
what kind of shitty fps tournament is that?
>>
File: toda-bonri.png (334 KB, 594x531) Image search: [Google]
toda-bonri.png
334 KB, 594x531
>>339075193
>No you fucking retard, it's because consoles use them
And why do consoles use them? Because they need an input that is versatile, ergonomic and usable for couch gaming.
>muh hardcore PC gaming
>you don't understand mom! I'm a hardcore gamer because I made a computer on PCpartpicker
PC is literally the most casual platform in existence other than mobile.
>>
Here's the issue op

Maybe he doesn't mean he thinks they offer superior control maybe he just thinks they're comfier or something

It is a dumb argument only children would have. Play with whatever you enjoy. It doesn't change anything

Tfw I like fps with a controller because comfy and I like rumble
>>
>>339076076
you're definitely the top dog, aren't you
there's nobody above you
>>
>>339070778

How the fuck is pointing and click more enjoyable than pulling a trigger?

Why do you think sitting at a desk in your bedroom is more fun than sitting on the sofa with your mates?

How is tapping keys for movement more preferable to analog sticks?
>>
>muh couch
>>
>>339076409
how is moving and turning ingame as though you've had 40kg worth of tranquilizer shoved up your rectum preferable?

controllers are fucking garbage for FPS and they always have been.
>>
>>339070778
I never play fps on pc because any retard can master a keyboard and mouse in a week. There is zero skill required. But on a console if you master a controller and max out the sensitivity you'll dominate every game. Controllers are superior if you're actually good.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.