[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Serious Sam thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 91
File: serioussamhdtse.jpg (820 KB, 3500x4795) Image search: [Google]
serioussamhdtse.jpg
820 KB, 3500x4795
Why doesn't Croteam use more action-packed music in Serious Sam?

The Next Encounter had some pretty cool tracks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7p5BDWUU_I&index=8&list=PLulLUdOm9WX0KX7fUOCCoq2BYV5oZsjTX
>>
>>339039247
Because Mravunac thinks percussion works best for Serious Sam's frantic pace.

P.S:SERIOUS SAM 4 NEVER EVER ENJOY MORE TALOS UNTIL THE END OF TIMES NERDS
>>
>>339039442
I guess it's up to personal preference. I always thought the games could use a more fast paced metal soundtrack.
>>
>>339039584
But it does use metal here and there.
>>
>>339039845
Yeah and it is pretty cool, especially when it's remixes of Undercode, I'm just saying if all the battles could be metal that would be cool.

If not, I guess I can just try and make a mod for it.
>>
>>339039442
>SERIOUS SAM 4 NEVER EVER
Wrong, fuccboi.
Croteam's exec literally confirmed more Sam being in the works last week. Expect some Talos-like nonlinear maps and puzzles.

source: I asked him myself in NG2016
>>
Dunes fight theme best theme

>doon doon doon doon
>doon doon doon doon
>doon doon
>dun dun
>>
>>339040017
DU NU NU NU
NA NA NA NA NA
>>
>>339040009
HL3 is "in the works" too.
>>
>>339040210
Yeah but unlike Valve, Croteam is still making games.
>>
>>339040210
Croteam's actually released a full game every few years, unlike some western morons.
Hell, they were even candidates of creating Doom4. And to be honest, they'd done a much better job than nu-ID and Bethesda.
>>
>>339040496
Come on, D44M is an alright game.
>>
>>339040496
How would you know? Serious Sam is an entirely different beast than Doom.
>>
>>339039442
>ENJOY MORE TALOS UNTIL THE END OF TIMES NERDS
I'm okay with this.
>>
>>339039247
Have you ever noticed how that picture is an in-game screenshot that has been brushed up a bit?

Just look at Sam's hair and the light reflections
>>
File: SS3 = Literally Doom 4.jpg (3 MB, 1357x3061) Image search: [Google]
SS3 = Literally Doom 4.jpg
3 MB, 1357x3061
>>339040674
Being "alright" is the common problem of most modern AAA games. Doom 4 could have been AMAZING, and actually true to its roots.

>>339040719
To be honest? No, they really are not that different. SS games were always some literal "Doom clones" from the start, with all the influence being blatantly out in the open. The only major difference is the map-design and SS' focus on Xbox-huge enemy mobs, instead of having these surreal, almost 3D puzzle-like maps.

Sam 3 was literally the most perfect modern sequel to an "oldschool" shooter so far. It stayed true to its roots, did not pack in pointless RPG elements and nonstop cinematic shit, and especially did not grant players endless streams of HP and ammo in form of Pinata-enemies.
Heck, it even did the "glory kills" long before Brutal Doom and D4 made them cool, and they were only a way to have fun with your enemies, and did not make you invincible.

>inb4 mention of ADS, reloads and sprint
Literally two guns have the former two. Nobody aims with the sights in SS anyway as it just slows you down. Reloads on the lower-end weapons and the sprinting (which even Doom1 had) add a small extra layer of strategy to the combat scenes.
>>
>>339041183
I disagree, I think the games are really different.

Doom is about navigating complex maps and killing already placed enemies (for the most part).

Serious Sam is about shooting enemies that spawn out of thin air, in often huge arenas, and you need to kill all the enemies to proceed.

Now don't get me wrong, I love both games, but for me their appeal is different.
>>
File: New Doom in nutshell - d4.jpg (140 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
New Doom in nutshell - d4.jpg
140 KB, 500x500
>>339041474
It's OK, broski.
I personally just don't consider the difference to be too severe.

>Serious Sam is about shooting enemies that spawn out of thin air, in often huge arenas, and you need to kill all the enemies to proceed.
Isn't it ironic that D44M is pretty much like that, with exceptions of locking you into SMALL arenas until you clear the enemies out? All while the exploration elements are greatly nerfed, as you no longer need to care about ammo and HP supply management on the maps.
>>
>>339041669
Maybe so, but I think DOOM does it a little better, since it doesn't spawn arachnoids and reptiloids on the other side of the map, or like 10 kleers right next to you.

I know spawning enemies is like a staple of the series, but it really gets on my nerves sometimes.
>>
>>339041912
I've been on a small oldschool shooter roll in the past few weeks, and I don't recall too much nearby spawns in SS3 at least. Besides those few "oh look, +1HP item!" traps.

I've been going through the original Doom now, again, and I simply love the map design. That being said, the OG Doom did not allow scripted spawning of enemies, something which they did introduce in Doom 64 though.
>>
>>339039247
I dont know why but they love the drum beats. I fucking hate it, I hate most of the music and honestly just turn it off and play my own. If all the OST was like that it would be wonderful. Love the gameplay butt hate the soundtracks.
>>
>>339042203
I was thinking more of The Second Encounter than BFE. I remember this one particularly annoying section in the Babylon levels where reptiloids spawned on towers which were behind trees so it was really hard seeing the. It just felt like a really cheap way to increase the difficulty.

The only instance in TFE I can think of is Thepes (the villages before the corridor with werebulls and kleers). They spawned a ton of arachnoids in there but one of them I couldn't fucking see because of the lens flare from the sun.
>>
>>339042334
I don't really hate it, but it doesn't really get me going as much as Undercode does.

I hope Undercode partner up with Croteam again for Serious Sam 4.
>>
File: DOOMx64 2016-05-27 03-41-19-310.jpg (821 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
DOOMx64 2016-05-27 03-41-19-310.jpg
821 KB, 1920x1080
>>339041183
It was amazing. Its also better than SS3, the point of upgrades is to keep the compbat from being repetitive so you keep getting different things to do to enemies. And im sure you're going to argue with me over that, I dont care, thats the point, a point exists, therefor its not pointless. Doom also has less of a story than Serious Sam 3, its better too despite being there even less. The story to 3 is fucking terrible, frankly. I dont count it as a negative but you're claiming Doom has "nonstop cinematic shit" and thats ridiculous. The game took me 25 hours and maybe for five minutes total it locks you in a room and talks to you. Big fucking deal. Glory kills are faster than in SS3, serve an actual practical purpose instead of being a waste of time, levels are better designed, SS3 may be traditionally SS like and thats fine but level design has never been its strong suit so its not hard to beat. I wasnt going to mention reloads and sights for SS3 but since you did and feel defensive about it i'll just mention they're not in Doom.

And none of that is mentioning the combat. The weapons are on a whole next level of fidelity over the cheap feeling guns from Serious Sam. Keep in mind I love SS3, have fifty hours in it, but that fifty was over the course of a few years playing it on and off whereas I got forty in Doom over the course of a week. SS3 has better combat when it picks up but levels are stupidly long with so much padding in between memorable fights that those moments aren't representative of the entire game. When I think of replaying a SS3 level its nothing but "fuck, not THIS part again" "I only wanted to replay this level of a fight thats not for another thirty minutes" but I will happily replay any Doom level because its all fantastic.

You're obviously fixated on your complaints to the point that your mind will not be changed no matter what anyone tells you but your post inspired me to type this out so here I am.
>>
>>339041669
Yes you absolutely need to care about ammo and HP, there are supply drops all over the map and used as rewards for exploration. If you choose an alternate root you will be rewarded with a full health restore or armor piece. Its all still there and a lot of the arenas are huge, not like Serious Sam but really big. now you're just spouting factual innacuracies so im convinced you didn't even play it. Play it on Knightmare or Ultra Violence, the health from enemies is there to keep you in a fight because they do massive damage unlike old Doom and the balance of it doesn't make it too easy, its really well implemented.
>>
Best theme coming through
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE8QdGdqNOU
It's really cool how ingame action is always synched to 0:45
>>
File: image.jpg (23 KB, 323x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23 KB, 323x480
>Mfw SS3 is literally a salvaged DOOM attempt when Croteam was trying to secure the license and be commissioned by Bethesda to make a new DOOM
>Mfw people praised SS3 for its gameplay but shit all over DOOM 2016 for doing the same shit

I love Serious Sam but let's not pretend that this ain't some bullshit.
>>
>>339043674
The best songs tend to not be drumshit, thats a sick guitar.
>>
>>339043849
You're right, they're both fantastic.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCsJ-P9iSGk
>trigger warning: spooky
>>
File: haw.gif (1014 KB, 290x189) Image search: [Google]
haw.gif
1014 KB, 290x189
>>339043945
>D44M
>good
>>
>>339044037
Kleers are the most scary skeletons in videogames. Its incredible how just one is a deadly challenge and somehow its balanced to have like fifty of them come at you.

NO COVER, ALL MAN
>>
>>339043361
>the point of upgrades is to keep the compbat from being repetitive
Original Doom's combat never felt repetitive. So if you need to have tacked-on RPG elements to make the game enjoyable, it's automatically a horrible game. Is it really that much to ask to have the same speed, ammo-capacity and damage values as we got back in 1993, right off the bat?

>Doom also has less of a story than Serious Sam 3
Now there I gotta disagree. D44M goes to extreme ends to write surprisingly fascinating and deep plot this time around, but the big marketing trick seems to be that "you can ignore it, if you want!". Which it really does not allow you to do, in the end.

Meanwhile, Sam 3's plot literally goes: People found ancient alien tech, use it to venture to unexplored areas in the galaxy, attract bad guys that wreck their shit, and Sam Serious Stone is the only motherfucker who seems to be any match against them. It's simple, it's almost 1:1 copy of DooM's, and it never even bothers to dig much deeper to it.

>you're claiming Doom has "nonstop cinematic shit" and thats ridiculous
I count all the Glory Kills, all the item-picking / door opening / sensitive equipment kicking / etc animations as "cinematic", because that's exactly what they are. Even Half-Life 2 does not go this far, and isn't afraid to be a GAME.

>maybe for five minutes total it locks you in a room and talks to you.
That's already too much. Period.

>Glory kills are faster than in SS3, serve an actual practical purpose instead of being a waste of time
They're really not faster at all, and the fact that they turned THE shooter of all times into literal cinematic hack & slash QTE fest is repulsive as fuck already. They should be optional, and they should not halt the gameplay. Even BD provided two modes for its melee finishers, why couldn't D4?

>but since you did and feel defensive about it i'll just mention they're not in Doom
But they are. Not in all weapons, but they are.
>>
>>339043626
The fact that there's literally no option to do exploration and ignore enemies is already a huge steer away from DooM's design. It's even more annoying to have these tacked in platforming sections in-between, where as the OG games had seamless miniature "worlds" as their maps.

Managing the supplies found on the map used to be a big part of Doom's appeal. It also made looking for the secrets actually a central part of the experience, because they seriously could tip the scales for your favor for the rest of the game.

Now in nu-Doom, you literally look for basic healing items, more RPG points, or pointless collectibles. In original Doom, you did not just rush into packs of enemies, because that would fuck you up in seconds. There was literally a feeling of doom, no pun intended, in DooM's fights, and that's why surviving through them was so satisfying.

>implying playing on harder difficulty will fix any of these fucked up design choices
hell, they even fucked up with the difficulty settings, fucking locking the only proper levels away from the player, until they beat the game!
>>
>>339044146
>still butt hurt about Denovo
>>
>>339044179
I dont understand the point of a quote and reply format instead of just organizing your thoughts into a paragraph. It's like a passive aggressive jab at me, selectively ignoring most of what I said. Thats not all I said, right after your first quote my main point was you said its pointless but there is a point. Regardless if you like the point, its there and thats it. Thats the reason I brought it up, not to sway your opinion on it. The original Doom is also five hours long, if that. So obviously it didn't feel repetitive, this one is over twice that so they added new elements to it. The crux of almost each of your quotes and replies to them was nothing more than taking what I said and saying nu uh to it. So I really dont give a shit if thats all you have to say. You're not even comparing it to Serious Sam anymore, which is the topic of the thread and the point of my post. I'm not going to defend it on it's own merits, I was comparing it to Serious Sam 3 which also has press E to kill and the entire reason for me bringing that up was saying how much better I felt it was implemented and your response was to criticize its implementation in the first place rather than how it compares to SS3. I will simply say that its objectively not something you have to do and your claim that its forced is objectively wrong. As I said already and your reply ignored, its clear you have no intention of changing your mind and just want to argue, its clear you believe in your criticisms so much that nothing I say will effect you. This conversation is pointless, dislike Doom all you want, I dont care anymore.
>>
>>339045138
>The original Doom is also five hours long, if that. So obviously it didn't feel repetitive, this one is over twice that so they added new elements to it.
plus doom 2
plus all the trillions of custom wads
>>
>>339044998
>he hasn't heard the news
>>
I found Serious Sam 3 excellent, but D44M only above average. For the record, I only evaluate video game products as a whole and not only in parts, and SS3 multiplayer and workshop communities outshine D44M's by a mile. Why does D44M feel so unsynergistic and unwhole in comparison?
>>
>>339039247
Because it fits the game better. When you battle through those beautiful open levels, landscapes and ancient environments, you'd want to hear something related to that area. Next Encounter was just fucking soulless, and its soundtrack was pretty meh as well. After all, SS is not Painkiller or Doom, it blends both ambient, metal and epic orchestra music.
>>
post top 3 themes go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oIFgnAS5Y4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de3CCPG4biA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQMCAdMadMY
>>
>>339044179
>>maybe for five minutes total it locks you in a room and talks to you.
>That's already too much. Period.

SS3 also had some moments like that, remember when you went underground to get the Syrian Mutilator?
>>
File: 1432681984974.png (314 KB, 1529x2163) Image search: [Google]
1432681984974.png
314 KB, 1529x2163
>>339040496
Well, while it's true, Croteam actually wanted to go more into the shooting side of Doom than level-design when they'd been developing the first Sam, so these games are still different. Some anon posted this page from their design doc a while ago, and it shows perfectly what Croteam were up to - they simply thought "fuck those boring and dark corridors, fuck puzzles and cinematic, let's make it all open and varied with an emphasis on shooting". In that case one could say that Serious Sam is actually a more pure FPS game than Doom.
>>
>>339046515
I'd rather have exciting metal than fitting ambient percussion.

I just find it more exciting.
>>
File: 9kNhGOzTuwQ.jpg (220 KB, 540x849) Image search: [Google]
9kNhGOzTuwQ.jpg
220 KB, 540x849
>>339047754
Well, SS3 had more metal parts in its soundtrack already and Damjan said he'll bring more attention to fight music in SS4 as well, with even heavier sound in the vein of death/groove metal. Think about FFDP or Pantera sound for example.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex3k8pMgQPQ
>>
I felt Doom 4's Multi-layered Arenas and Smarter Enemies made it a refreshing experience, will be a bit hard going back to Serious Sam.
>>
File: Good job.png (156 KB, 289x289) Image search: [Google]
Good job.png
156 KB, 289x289
>>339048442
Sweet.

Man SS4 is shaping up to be great.
You've got a spanking new engine, the writers from Talos and heavier music.
Please don't fuck it up, Croteam
>>
File: Dolphin 2013-05-24 16-27-55-91.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Dolphin 2013-05-24 16-27-55-91.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
The next encounter was pretty fucking cool.
But OP, the only weak point of TNE was the shitty stock soundtrack...

Dem deagles though..
Minigun and double barrel were my favorites from the series as well.
>>
>>339048619
>smarter enemies
i don't want to get into a shit flinging contest here but you've gotta be kidding right? there is nothing particularly interesting or clever about the new doom
>>
>>339048859
I haven't played TNE but I've listened to the soundtrack and I like it.
>>
File: 1341733556097.gif (2 MB, 349x248) Image search: [Google]
1341733556097.gif
2 MB, 349x248
>>339046827

Good shit, posting some more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSP8ZXfC1n4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrZl7UMw10o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZJ-rFYz208

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuDhgxFr4jg

And my favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5JqLwyI70w
>>
>>339039928
>if all the battles could be metal that would be cool.
no it would not
>>
>>339049185
The soundtrack is very repetitive and boring IMO.
It's just generic action music honestly.

It's the only weak point of the game though.
The gameplay and weapons are baller.

Having to use analog sticks to aim sucks though.
>>
File: DevSessionsCroteam.jpg (772 KB, 1280x1344) Image search: [Google]
DevSessionsCroteam.jpg
772 KB, 1280x1344
>>339048649
Don't forget about 3 different zones, two of which are Italy and France, flamethrower and chainsaw comeback, faster beginning, photoscanning and better motion capture, bigger maps and more uglies. Man, sounds fucking good.
>>
>>339049259
Personal preference anon.

It's one of the reasons I love Painkiller, that game had a really cool soundtrack
>>
>>339049183
Smarter might not be the best word, but what I mean is they feel more capable.
They'll follow you up platforms with ease, they aren't as easily exploited.
One thing I liked is that if you're behind cover, Revenants will jump and float in the air and rain rockets on you from above.
>>
>>339044179
>I count all the Glory Kills, all the item-picking / door opening / sensitive equipment kicking / etc animations as "cinematic"
It's not like Sam games ever had finishing moves...
>>
>>339049324
>bigger maps and more uglies

This worried me a bit
For me The Second Encounter was a lot more frustrating and less fun because it just threw way more shit at you, and it didn't always feel fair.

But who knows, Croteam is just full of surprises.
>>
>>339049398
It's funny, the only combat track I remember from PK is this, and it's hardly "metal": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sz-LD9S0-A
>>
File: witch.jpg (153 KB, 700x864) Image search: [Google]
witch.jpg
153 KB, 700x864
>>339046827
"My flaming fists of fury will destroy you, fiend, ha-ha... God, who writes this stuff?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-Hg57FQZEg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHlJxWp2ytM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPIV3VxJIS8
>>
>>339049539
What about these?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5VBSQVZIPU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOJJfIxE-Vg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wQNzNOhWAc

My personal favorites

But I guess it just comes down to personal taste.
I've seen some people argue that "metal" doesn't fit Doom, so there you go
>>
>>339046827
Grand cathedral is so fucking good they need to remix it for 4
>>
>>339049629
Man I love Undercode's stuff in Serious Sam
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKhNpYQXSkw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA76UYx6vnM
>>
>>339049316
weren't they gonna add this to revolution?
>>
>>339049951
Doom has a good mix of fast and slow tracks IMO. Though one of my favorite Doom pieces is from TNT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgqRhcyXdRg
>>
>>339050035
What, they released a new album?
i gotta check it out.
>>
>>339050326
It's good, but I liked Enlightening the World more.
But maybe that's because I'm just so used to hearing it in Serious Sam
>>
>>339050308
Hmm, maybe I should finish TNT sometime.
I remember getting to level 18 or something and just never went back to it.
>>
>>339050470
This plays on the second or third level. TNT is weird, I actually prefer it over 2 and Plutonia but it's not for everyone.
>>
>>339050413
I'm listening to it right now.
I can seriously feel those riffs kicking in into a serious sam fight.
>>
File: 145298122058.jpg (110 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
145298122058.jpg
110 KB, 768x1024
>>339049521
Yeah, it worries me too, but I'm sure they know about it and hope they'll add something to entertain players on these huge maps in-between the fights. You know, when I think about it - vehicles sections a-la Next Encounter or even SS2 when you can drive around the map in a combat Hammer with miniguns and discover some secret locations would be very cool to diversify the gameplay.
>>
>>339049421
They are optional. Resource economy (health/ammo) does not rely on finishers like in nuDoom.
>>
>>339045696
What news?
>>
Gee, I can't imagine who made this thread.
>>
File: SJPMsQkiAVA.jpg (54 KB, 678x600) Image search: [Google]
SJPMsQkiAVA.jpg
54 KB, 678x600
>>339050413
Yeah, their second one is not so impressive in comparison to ETW. Some riffs are fine, but the stuff got softer. Hopefully, with the help of Mravunac they can deliver something good. Their guitarist made a soundtrack to another game some time ago and it sounds great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiMj2yFpNxk
>>339050083
Revo is a mess, why do you think they are going to add something like that?
>>
>>339051260
Denuvofags btfo
>>
File: 09.jpg (269 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
09.jpg
269 KB, 1600x1200
>>339049951
Ambient music in Painkiller was fucking gorgeous. These two once made me so depressed and alone as if I was in Purgatory myself. Dem feels, man.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vVQ-J7NE9E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P2vyKyNh0g
>>
>>339039247
I bought the bundle on steam sale, which ones are the best ones? Dont feel like installing all of them.
>>
>>339051701
Install classics revolution , it's the first two games.

Then move on to Serious sam II
then serious sam 3.

Play the HD remakes of the first two games after if you feel like it, the original versions are better though.
>>
>>339051701
First and Second Encounter are my favourite games of all time.
>>
File: allserioussamgames.jpg (1 MB, 1600x800) Image search: [Google]
allserioussamgames.jpg
1 MB, 1600x800
>>339051701
TFE, TSE and 3 are must have. Indies and 2... well, leave'em until you'd really want to get some more Sam.
>>
What do you think about Bogus Detour, /v/?

Looks pretty fun to me, also Damjan makes a soundtrack for it as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3AVjgIgtUE
>>
What's wrong with the music? Not EPIC FOR THE WIN enough like in your precious D44M?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh-q63lNl3g

Yep, it's like i'm listening to Serious sam's IV soundtrack.

I hope they have something in the game.
>>
File: 1401447563755.gif (535 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1401447563755.gif
535 KB, 480x270
>>339052306
>Greek Encounter
>>
File: CourtyardsOfDeathCameras_0011.jpg (788 KB, 4096x2000) Image search: [Google]
CourtyardsOfDeathCameras_0011.jpg
788 KB, 4096x2000
>>339049421
What's good about finishers in Sam is that you only rarely use them because melee is uneffective in large battles. It's more of a last chance to stay alive when there's a couple of faggots heading at you. In a game with such enemy number you still need to rely on weapons more than hands.
>>
>>339052717
It's not an official Serious Sam game, yet it was kind of approved by Devolver (just as basically all the fan-made content). It was also a copy-paste of some small russian SS fan-game.
>>
>>339052670
Music is great, some people just want more metal in Sam, which is ok.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBGdomOo3PQ
>>
>>339053142
>It's more of a last chance to stay alive
I never used it like that. It's more of a fun little thing, but I don't mind that D44m tried to integrate it into gameplay.
>>
>>339053580
It can be quite useful when you reload DBS or AR and there's a kleer jumping at you so you can crack his head off. Always saves your life. From what I've seen, Doom kind of lets you to overuse it even though you need to weaken the enemies at first, but that's just to the lesser density of battles in comparison to SS.
>>
>>339053972
>just ok due to the lesser density
self-fix
>>
File: CL6gyx5X8D2v.jpg (175 KB, 454x544) Image search: [Google]
CL6gyx5X8D2v.jpg
175 KB, 454x544
>>339039247
Damjan is love, Damjan is life.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlFFRmWg0d0
>>
>>339048859
Vehicle sections and alt-fire modes were really fun, I wish Croteam put these things in their games some day.
>>
File: TFEconcept_Cover_mockup.jpg (158 KB, 424x504) Image search: [Google]
TFEconcept_Cover_mockup.jpg
158 KB, 424x504
>>339049324
>better motion capture

More like finally motion capture.
IIRC pretty much all the animations were hand made.
>>
File: hafFjEd8B5w.jpg (323 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
hafFjEd8B5w.jpg
323 KB, 1920x1080
>>339054679
Not really, they just used a very old set of mo-cap animation recorded back in 2002 during the SS XBox development. Also, they used some weird motion capture software to record the facial animation of Sam, but it wasn't polished and thus looked very odd.
>>
File: dfebgjgb.jpg (196 KB, 1500x1125) Image search: [Google]
dfebgjgb.jpg
196 KB, 1500x1125
>>339041140
yeah, you can see that they just posed them models and slightly painted it
>>
>>339053142
Are those tiddies from a mod?
>>
File: Beheaded_Kamikaze_SS3BFE.png (111 KB, 409x447) Image search: [Google]
Beheaded_Kamikaze_SS3BFE.png
111 KB, 409x447
>>339039247
E3 BETTER HAVE SOME SS4 GAMEPLAY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!
>>
>>339054359
>The entire Talos Principle OST is in there

What a swell guy
>>
File: CourtyardsOfDeathCameras_0012.jpg (563 KB, 4096x2000) Image search: [Google]
CourtyardsOfDeathCameras_0012.jpg
563 KB, 4096x2000
>>339055610
Yes But I didn't finish it yet, and Serious Sam threads are so rare here so I don't know where to publish it. Don't like Steam Workshop either, it's full of cancer memes bullshit mods.
>>
>>339055851
I don't give this too high hopes. There were rumors about small Serious Sam VR game, may be it'll be announced on E3 instead.
>>
>>339052717
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAoUuQCBBA4

Looks like a bad version of the upcoming Serious Sam Bogus Detour, no wonder why it's not on Steam
>>
File: screenshot.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
screenshot.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>339056054
Well if you ever wanna share it, here's my steam account
>>
>>339056286
Ok, m80.
>>
File: 2016-01-27-12h54m10s194.png (764 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-27-12h54m10s194.png
764 KB, 1280x720
>>339055851
I like what they're doing using photogrammetry for SS4.
>>
Looks like Shadow Warrior 2 turns more and more into Bordermemes. Our only hope left is Sam.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7LSJDPTG2U
>>
File: IHURTMYSELFTODAY.jpg (183 KB, 1125x785) Image search: [Google]
IHURTMYSELFTODAY.jpg
183 KB, 1125x785
>>339057108
Number one sin of their first Shadow Warrior was the bullet sponge enemies that ruined combat satisfaction.

Too early to judge this one but the co-op ventral design is a red flag for single player design. Arsenal looks pretty mall ninja, which is nice.
>>
>>339056743
What's photogrammetry?
>>
I want croteam to make a videogame about the Yugoslav wars in the 90s with Synth and accordion music
>>
>>339057708
Doing in-game models from real life counterparts or some shit. Or at least parts of the model.
>>
>>339057754
pls no.
>>
>>339057108
This looks like Borderlands without the color.

>>339057557
IMO the biggest sin of Shadow Warrior was that the guns were not satisfying to use. ESPECIALLY considering it's a reboot of a Build engine game, which has amazing guns.
>>
>>339057764
Oh sweet.

I think they did the gore of SS3 the same way, by taking photos of dead animals and stuff.
>>
>>339057934
>Shadow Warrior was that the guns were not satisfying
That's what I mean when I say combat satisfaction. IMO there was nothing wrong with the gun designs (sound + animation + mechanics) in themselves but the disconnect of how much affect they have on enemies is what killed it.
>>
>>339057934
Those things are kinda synonymous. Enemies have too much hp and it takes ages to kill them, therefore the guns don't feel powerful.
Then the game accentuates how shitty they feel by introducing an enemy that can only be killed with guns - berserk.
>>
>>339058316
>>339058151
I don't even know why they put in guns since you're really encouraged to use the sword at all times.

I mean nothing else is faithful to the original, they might as well go all the way.
>>
>>339058027
Well, they only took some photos of meat and pasted them to models as textures, while here they are going to do a full photoscanning of various objects, including people. No more ugly characters faces, I hope.
>>
>>339050308
that garbage soundfont it's even missing instruments
https://youtu.be/PkgNGr9E0VQ?t=2m16s
>>
>>339057108
You know what I take that back, this looks more like Diablo.

>Elite enemies with like 5 different buffs
>Powerup shrines
>Chests with randomized loot

In fact the only thing Borderlands about this is the HUGE NPC portrait talking to you. I hope to God you can turn that off
>>
>>339057108
"Ban-fucking-zai you ugly son of a bitch!"

I hate the new Lo Wang
>>
File: f707S2vhmLM.jpg (117 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
f707S2vhmLM.jpg
117 KB, 1280x720
>>339058690
Wrong pic.
>>
>>339049995
Well if you guys love it so much, we can do something about that... ;)
>>
File: 20130607_serious_sam_4.jpg (800 KB, 1920x1265) Image search: [Google]
20130607_serious_sam_4.jpg
800 KB, 1920x1265
>>339039247
I kinda wish them use more melodic, relaxing music like Talos, with piano and choir parts, as well as some spooky ambient like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWnyv2sniKc
>>
Don't drown.
>>
File: 1458305769696.jpg (2 MB, 1524x1353) Image search: [Google]
1458305769696.jpg
2 MB, 1524x1353
>>339056286
>homm3 pic
>>
>>339061720
I can't imagine a situation when that'd be appropriate for Serious Sam. All that stood out to me from BFE was WAAAAAAAAAAAAR!

Though maybe if they evolve Serious Sam storytelling to some deep area... Blech.
>>
File: BhICaQTCcAAzzWT.jpg (54 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
BhICaQTCcAAzzWT.jpg
54 KB, 1024x576
>>339062164
There was a couple of relaxing or silent places in BFE, like tombs where you get the bracelet. Also, they can use soft music when all the enemies are finally dead and you can explore the map and enjoy the sun and music.
>>
Grand Cathedral has the best soundtrack in the series.
Prove me wrong. I'm waiting.
>>
>>339062839
I suppose so.
>>
>>339062905
It's not bad. Wouldn't single it out as the best though.
At least this >>339062164 and "Dunes" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsmLOXb_eqE deserve to be mentioned among it.
>>
>>339063117
Oh shit.
Time to replay some SS this weekend.
I totally forgot about those.
>>
>>339062839
>they can use soft music when all the enemies are finally dead and you can explore the map and enjoy the sun and music.
HAHAHA
Its the opposite of relaxing at that point, its a goddamn horror game. Every single room is a monster closet waiting to happen, every pick up a kamikaze spawn.
>>
File: SSHD2_Storm.jpg (369 KB, 1594x1066) Image search: [Google]
SSHD2_Storm.jpg
369 KB, 1594x1066
>>339062905
Dunes would be close to it, but all in all, I agree.
Also nice cover: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmA-nV_FDQ8
>>
>>339063264
Have fun anon. I should do that too.
>>
>>339063269
Now that I think of it, it's kind of true and terrifying, shit.
>>
>>339062839
>all the enemies are finally dead
There is no such thing. First and Second Encounters even have special spawns that only trigger when you backtrack or run backwards too much.
>>
>>339063535
I've been doing it all way.
Currently on the Grand Pyramid.
>>
>>339063117
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Dunes is the song that plays during the first time you have a true Serious Sam moment.
Which is why it's probably so awesome
>>
>>339063752
What if Sam is serious all the time because he's scared shitless of what might happen when he picks up ANYTHING?
>>
>>339063823
That level's pretty good. Doesn't have that much of the cheap close quarters nonesense and has some good secrets.

>>339063957
If I recall the first time is on a desert when a bunch of blue walkers are coming at you and you have the tommy gun.
>>
File: 0_e6092_16ba32d5_orig.jpg (1 MB, 2048x825) Image search: [Google]
0_e6092_16ba32d5_orig.jpg
1 MB, 2048x825
>>339063794
Not always though, there's no such thing as infinite spawn in any SS game (unless you play Survival or some mod). There are certain damagers though, like in TFE when you go too far to the desert and your health begin to get low.
>>
File: 1379537743216.gif (113 KB, 260x199) Image search: [Google]
1379537743216.gif
113 KB, 260x199
>>339064173
Then they'd call him Paranoid Sam or something else.
>>
>>339064618
Yeah, I know, there's limited amount of enemies on every map, but a good share of them are hidden and tied to various triggers, usually player going somewhere or picking something up, so there is no time when you can truly relax and just explore and fuck about while listening to nice music.
>>
File: 6Yl5eTXTKSc.jpg (21 KB, 370x338) Image search: [Google]
6Yl5eTXTKSc.jpg
21 KB, 370x338
>>339064889
Sometimes I'm afraid I can't play these games anymore, they make me nervous. inb4 >get serious
>>
>>339048859
>dolphin
why are you emulating it
>>
>>339066746
it never got released on PC didn't it?
>>
>>339066950
oh sorry, I didn't completely read that and it looked kinda SS 2 at first glance
>>
File: 04-Deathmatch Russia2.jpg (226 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
04-Deathmatch Russia2.jpg
226 KB, 1280x1024
>>339067107
IMO it's the true SS2 instead of that clown silly circus we got in 2005. It was silly and cartoonish too, but it was still pretty enjoyable, kept a golden medium of mixing humour and serious tone, had some neat ideas and actual blood and gibs. It's a pity that it wasn't released on PC because early in the development it actually worked on Serious Engine before devs ported it to their own engine.
>>
>>339039247
You're kidding right?

https://youtu.be/QfBXPtRYU4g
>>
>>339066950
I think a modder ported it to Serious Engine 1
or at least tried
>>
>>339067778
I heard it was abandoned, just like that HD remake some drank russckies tried to make.
>>
File: serious sam vs painkiller.jpg (115 KB, 1024x357) Image search: [Google]
serious sam vs painkiller.jpg
115 KB, 1024x357
>>339039247
The percussion helps me get "in the zone" in serious difficulty. desu every sam game's soundtrack is basically perfect.
>>339041669
Serious Sam and Doom are sort of in a league of their own, even relative to other so-called "doom clones", due to their enemy variety and design.
>>
>>339048442
as long as they keep it lyricless for the most part im happy. hero was great but if they try to go with the style the vocalist from FFDP does then i demand an option to turn them off.
>>
>>339068656
That would be too stupid. The only lyrics to this kind of songs must be WAAAAAAAAAAR and AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.
>>
>>339056286
>not crag hack
>>
>>339069160

i thought the vocalist/lyrics were great on hero. im glad they restricted it to the credits though, not many like it. i listen to this theme from time to time. i kind of want to hear john dick sing this as sam.
>>
File: SeriousSamTFE_HD_4.jpg (147 KB, 1200x651) Image search: [Google]
SeriousSamTFE_HD_4.jpg
147 KB, 1200x651
>>339068246
I never really understood why people think that Serious Sam is not old-school/classic and has nothing to do with Doom just because it has a simple level-design and more enemies at screen. I mean, isn't that a feature of the game? Croteam wanted to make a FPS game in the vein of Doom that will let you go out of labyrinths and corridors to wide open spaces. But you cannot make giant open spaces with 5-15 monsters standing there and shooting at the player, that'd be too boring, so why not use this place to the 11, thus adding more and more enemies? In that case Serious Sam is kind of the same classic FPS that just improved gameplay in terms of bigger locations, where shooting is actually in the first place, and the rest is less important. It's an essential first-person shooter game if you think so.
>>
>>339069334
Yeah, that was Damjan singing this song. There was another song with lyrics in the game by the way, also performed by him - "Wild Life" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3osvDXJb4hU

It'd be interesting to hear John singing, probably hilarious. They could also bring back Undercode on board again, the band already made a song dedicated to SS3.
>>
>>339070357
thats the one track i didnt like though. i dont like the genre it falls under. it just makes me want to pump it up into metal status then keep it in rock/classic rock.

damjan knows what to do with the soundtrack though, even if he doesnt get more metal into it as long as we get something on the same level as hero im fine.

fuckin croats mayn. however im still mad talos principle delayed sam4. you fucks better make up for that.
>>
>>339070649
Yeah, croats know the shit about metal music. I think they certainly won't fuck up the music, it was always great in every Croteam's game.

IIRC Damjan once told that he wanted to bring another new croband to make a couple of tracks for SS4. These guys to be exact: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVFRmnZAeLg Don't know if it's still in plans though.
>>
>>339071036
DO IT DAMJAN! FUCKING DOOO IIIIT
>>
>>339070649
I think it was actually good that they made Talos. They were probably wayy to tired if making the same game over the decade. But after Talos they most likely got some fresh new ideas and enough power to make a better new Sam. After all, they were olnly 15 when they made SS3, and right now after the success of Talos they have 30+ teammates.
>>
>>339071376
i recognize the good that came out of talos but that doesnt make me any less angry. i would've been satisfied with one more DLC campaign after jewel of the nile.
>>
>>339070083
Pretty much this:
https://youtu.be/yuOObGjCA7Q
When people talk about doom level design, they mean the base Doom 1/2 level sets, which have plenty of non-linearity and maze elements. They talk as if they were all speedrunning, seeing the level as a maze. In reality, I guarantee they focused on killing everything, with continuous (i.e.non pistol-start), conservative playstyle.
Look at modern doom ii custom wads, the scythe series for example, most of them have much more in common with sam than the vanilla doom ii maps. More enemies and simpler architecture with emphasis on fight choreography rather than a standard monster maze.
But that's the secret to truly great fps. It was never about the weapons, or the player's movement speed.
It's about the enemies.
And Serious Sam has the best.
>>
File: CrcmSws7sHc22.png (191 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
CrcmSws7sHc22.png
191 KB, 500x500
>>339071376
well fuck, I screwed up the post
>>
>>339071502
This is sad but Croteam said that making DLCs doesn't really pays off in the end, no matter how good they are. They lose more time and money to make a decent additional campaign for both BFE and Talos and it still wasn't successful enough. So they'll probably never make more than 1 post-release DLC for their future games. Fucking injustice, when you see dozens of DLCs coming out for COD and other greedy shooters these days.
>>
File: 1385855913794.png (747 KB, 1024x682) Image search: [Google]
1385855913794.png
747 KB, 1024x682
>>339071545
Nicely said, anon.
>>
>>339072278
it makes sense thats how it goes for them though, they arent making AAA games with million dollar budgets. if it isnt worth their time then i respect croteam enough to let em keep going.

still mad though.
>>
>>339071036
Nice, but the music is a bit monotonous tho.
>>
>>339072521
>they arent making AAA games
they make AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA games instead
>>
File: 1309507025680.png (100 KB, 472x340) Image search: [Google]
1309507025680.png
100 KB, 472x340
>>339072989
i ran into that one, you fucker.
>>
File: 1459049181876.jpg (12 KB, 426x382) Image search: [Google]
1459049181876.jpg
12 KB, 426x382
>>339072989
heh heh, nice
>>
>>339039247
Is this some kind of a joke? Because that music a hell of a lot more dull and boring compared to what played in the official Serious Sam games...

>>339039442
>P.S:SERIOUS SAM 4 NEVER EVER ENJOY MORE TALOS UNTIL THE END OF TIMES NERDS
Croteam actually leaked some new info about Serious Sam 4 in their joke April post, hinting that SS4 is going to take place in Rome and some other European country that allegedly had not been visited by the franchise yet.
The fact that they just announced Talos 2 actually further hints that SS4 is entering late production and post production phase, as they would likely not be announcing Talos 2 if it did not go to early/mid production, and they would not be diverting assed artists, writers and main programers off SS4 unless they were not largely without shit to do.
>>
>>339072278
>and it still wasn't successful enough.
I'd like to see the sources and charts showing they lost money off Jewel and Ghena. Because from what I heard, Croateam considered both of the previous games unprecedented success and are expanding their business.
>>
File: 1438383524905.png (3 MB, 640x2160) Image search: [Google]
1438383524905.png
3 MB, 640x2160
I still can't believe how amazing slav magic is.
>>
>>339073741
i hope we get sam 4 on my birthday again. sam 3 was the best birthday present i've ever received.
>>
>>339074434
My personal bet is either late 2016 or spring 2017... Croteam takes a lot of time polishing their games up in the post production (and after release - holy fuck I've recently played SS3 for the second time since it's release and was completely stunned how much they improved things inbetween, they give their games as much post-release care as CDPR does, except they don't advertise it).
>>
>>339074767
oct 23. is still late2016. gim sam pls
>>
>>339073741
In fact they DID NOT announce Talos 2, they just said something like "it's gonna happen somewhen", but everyone thought that it's in production already for some reason which is not truth.
>>
>>339074767
Don't even wait for Sam this year, anon. It's gonna be 2017. By the way, one of the reasons why SS3 sucked was simply because Croteam tried to hurry and make everything to November deadline. They even said that if they had 3-4 months more, the game'd be perfect. Now they don't want to repeat that mistake so we certainly won't see the game until it'll be 100% done and polished to the max.
>>
>>339074963
Because there was a direct confirmation of Talos 2 just a few days ago?
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-talos-principle-2-in-development/1100-6440057/
Statement was first made by Nordic game's Alen Ladavac, then retweeted by a Croteam dev and then again retweeted by official Croteam twitter, you can confirm it there directly.
>>
File: ni2x7qCC0k1qa0ywbo1_1280.jpg (258 KB, 1280x823) Image search: [Google]
ni2x7qCC0k1qa0ywbo1_1280.jpg
258 KB, 1280x823
>>339075293
When someone says "we'll make this game", it doesn't mean "we are making this game right now", anon. The team is full on in the development of SS4, and they also had some plans to make a SS2 remake later, so I highly doubt that they'll bother about new Talos in the next 5-6 years.
>>
>>339039247
>Why doesn't Croteam use more action-packed music in Serious Sam? The Next Encounter had some pretty cool tracks

Necause outside of First, Second Encounter, SS2 and SS3 Croteam did not make any other SS games. I'm talking about core team. It was different developers.
>>
>>339068246
The actual main problem of PK is that you can go into hyperdrive by just mashing Space button, making 90% of enemies harmless (the other 10% are hitscanners which you have to hug the corners to kill on harder difficulties).
>>
>>339075791
You yourself must realize no one can take you that post seriously, right?
SS4 is getting into later development stage where large number of developers aren't needed at the set anymore, which makes it an idea phase to move them on a new project. A year ago Croteam officially announced long-term collaboration with the Talos writer duo, and it's blatantly obvious they don't need them for Serious Sam 4 or SS2 remake, which by the way was an extremely unpopular game, unlike Talos which proved to be a MASSIVE sleeping hit, and a dev that spoke with them JUST STATED Talos 2 is happening, and you still conclude this means they totally confirmed a project they might or might not do in five or six years?
I hate to spoil the relatively civil thread with this, but that is pretty damn retarded. Yes, they hired the writers five years ahead. Sure.
>>
>>339074394
What's wrong with Skullgirls? Where did they waste budget?

if you can't say anything without spouting implications rather then providind arguments backed up by facts then may be it is better to top posting, you fat green fiend?
>>
>>339058798
Thanks, you're right, I just grabbed the first video. And damn, I love Death's Bells too. TNT OST was baller.
>>
File: serious sam 3 (3).jpg (2 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
serious sam 3 (3).jpg
2 MB, 3840x2160
Why the fuck does SS3 still look good today? How the fuck did a small team of Croats do this? Why aren't more games made for PC in mind?
>>
>>339076417
It's an image attacking Mighty No. 9, it's implying better looking games have been made with smaller budgets.
>>
>>339076703
Consoles.
>>
>>339076703
I guess they were passionate about it. This happens when the developers actually love what they and have fun.

That being said, i suggest to pull your ass out of 2005 and reconsider "small team". Croteam is no longer a small indie studio. They are growing as big as Larian.
>>
>>339076839
>passionate
>not serious
fuck you anon.
>>
>>339076705
>an image attacking Mighty No. 9
popular trend lately huh
can't complain kek
>>
>>339076839
>Croteam is no longer a small indie studio
I don't think you realise how large AAA dev studios are.
>>
>>339076907
Okay you've got me
>>
>>339077092
>I don't think you realise how large AAA dev studios are.
I do.
What you don't realize is how big croteam gre since they've release SS FE, SE and SS2.

Especailly after Talos.
>>
>>339077243
most of their growth was through talos' development.
>>
>>339076403
Did you fucking read my post? What I'm telling to you is that "announcement" and "confirmation" are two different things, just as well as "concept stages" and actual "development", but you don't seem to understand these thing, which is sad. For example, we all know that SS4 is in development right now, but there was no official announcement yet, with proper press-release, marketing campaign and so on. Do you see the my fucking point? They can say "we'll make Talos 2", but it doesn't mean they actually DO IT now. So please stop shit-posting, I'm not in the mood to go into some stupid dispute in such a cozy thread either.
>>
>>339076839
>They've been 30+ in 2005
>Only 15+ in 2011
>30+ again in 2016
Yeah, well, I would not call it a large growth.
>>
>>339077716
>inb4 SS4 ends up being a consolized abomination like SS2

Pls be PC only.
>>
>>339077716
Right now they have 2 development teams, one fro Talos 2 and one for SS4, 2 new professional writers joined them on a constant basis. They are also still hiring

I have no idea where did you pull out these random numbers from though.
>>
>>339077941
>I have no idea where did you pull out these random numbers from though.
I got my numbers from one of their new hired guys and their last conference at Nordic Game. But where you got your facts about two development teams - that's a mystery, because it's not true actually and I have a different information.
>>
>>339077394
I actually understood you well, I just find your "logic" completely absurd. Why would they fucking talk to other studios during a large conference about a game that is not even close to being started to work on, why would that excite people from other teams enough to happily announce it on twitter, only for Croateam to confirm it, all the while when we KNOW SS4 is in late development, and therefor reaching the point where many of the stuff has nothing to do, and that they hired writers who worked on Talos Principle a WHILE AGO ALREADY?
Jesus fucking Christ, it's simply completely illogical to assume they don't work on it where there is a lot of clear activity and excitement around it.
Where the FUCK do you actually gain confidence in that it will not be worked on in the next three to four years? Yes, they told Nordic games "we'll maybe make Talos, sometime, not sooner than in four years, we certainly aren't working on it now" and Nordic went: HOLY FUCKING SHIT MAN, WE REALLY NEED TO GO AND SHARE THAT WITH THE WORLD RIGHT NOW!

And how is any of this shitposting for fuck sake? There is certainly a FUCKTON more reasons to believe they are working on Talos right now than to believe they'll ever make a serious remake of SS2.

There are two possible interpretations of their confirmation of Ladavac's tweet: that they meant "yes we are working on it" and "no, we are not working on it but we may in the far future." Every single piece of context suggests the first interpretation is correct, no context or evidence suggests the later is correct. Which is also why every single fucking gaming outlet and media reporting on it went with the same assumption I went with. The one that ACTUALLY MAKES SENSE.
>>
File: 24345345.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
24345345.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1600
>>339040017
>>339040103
boss strings is the shiet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJMqkDnpoys
>>
>>339078171
>that's a mystery
Allen is a pretty cool dude and talks a lot on this subject.
There is no way you odn't know him.
>>
Am I the only one who loves SS2? The last third of the game is pure bliss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvxNyxMEivA
>>
File: 1464296850711.jpg (198 KB, 1078x1348) Image search: [Google]
1464296850711.jpg
198 KB, 1078x1348
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhHZUmYu7Uo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fphnWhmF7gI

Let's talk about how Croteam is going down a dangerously not-serious path.

>Croteam announces SS4
>gets sidetracked and makes a pretentious puzzle game
>decides to make a sequel to that game
>all of this before we see a hint of SS4 gameplay and have no idea what the release date is
>>
>>339077941
>writers
>>
>>339078682
I liked it because I played a shitton of co-op as a kid.

But still, it has some nice features like grenades, Klovodic and a huge variety of levels.
>>
>>339078754
>puzzle game
But it was a good puzzle game.
One of the best games of that year.

>pretentious
oh boy, can't wait until you discover Witness' existence
>>
>>339078947

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmqA3pGe3Og

This is worse than the witness desu
>>
>>339078754
Personally I think they're just making sure the game is great. I mean after Talos people's expectations are pretty high. And I think they noticed some people weren't completely happy with SS3, so they gotta put in extra effort this time around.

Plz bring back Klodovic
>>
>>339078754
That "pretentious" puzzle game was one of the most charming puzzle games I've played in a long time. Sequel to SS3 has been announced a long time ago, them announcing another side project does not mean anything and Croateam does not need to release their game footage too much because everybody knows what Serious Sam game is, they don't need to teach and accustom people before hand.

SS4 will start releasing gameplay footage only in the month leading up to the release.
>>
>>339079032
No it is not.
And the best thing is your shitty subjective opinion will stay your shitty subjective opinion.

And Talos will stay great again

kek
>>
>>339079032
Hey, I liked listening to those. There is nothing pretentious about a scientist recording her thoughts as the world fucking ends.
>>
File: 1449421827734.png (181 KB, 916x1051) Image search: [Google]
1449421827734.png
181 KB, 916x1051
>>339079032
I went out of my way to find all the audio logs and I usually don't give a shit about them.

The second to last one really broke my heart.
>>
>>339079032
>This is worse than the witness desu
Uh, that is actually some really great writing, especially together with the non-"philosophic" emails out there. It has an actual, human story to tell.
You fucks really need to stop throwing the word "pretentious" at everything that even slightly smells of intellectualism.
>>
>>339078403
I think you either trolling or got some misleading information, which is not a big surprise knowing Alen. The team is really split into some parts, but none of them is busy with Talos 2, but other projects instead. The major part of the team is still busy with SS4 though.
>>
>>339079052
>And I think they noticed some people weren't completely happy with SS3

I don't see what they find so hard. Iron sights, context-sensitive melee kill buttons, and tiny maps are bad ideas. They struck gold with TFE and TSE, they really should just stick to the formula instead of re-inventing the wheel with every new game.
>>
>>339079702
>Iron sights, context-sensitive melee kill buttons
literally nothing wrong with that

some of the smaller maps were also the best ones

the real problem with BFE is that the way they spawn enemies is decidedly non-evil compared to TFE/TSE

makes the game too easy and predictable
>>
>>339079032
Is it weird that I actually like to play this game with Croatian dub and English subtitles even though I'm not Croatian?
>tfw Croatian Elohim was voiced by Damjan Mravunac himself
>>
>>339079702
Well yeah in hindsight, but it was what, 6 years since Serious Sam 2? Before BFE how many oldschool games did we have?

Maybe they did it out of lazyness, maybe they didn't wanna see their previous work squandered, maybe they were afraid people wouldn't like Serious Sam 3 for being too oldschool.

But judging by the Jewel of the Nile I'd say they've learned their lesson.

Besides, the melee kills weren't that bad, since they were entirely optional and you had to be very careful with them.
>>
>>339079702
Reflects side were entirely justifiable, context sensitive melee kills were pointless but also entirely optional and irrelevant, and the maps were everything but tiny.
SS3 had some issues with balance and encounter design, and some actually pretty stupid ideas, the Witch enemy being by far the worst one, but most of what people complained about was entirely unjustified (complaining about iron sights on three of the weapons, all three usable primarily for medium to long range combat and entirely functional without them).

Rest of the most common complained were fixed b small balancing and A.I. tweaks (hitscan enemies and monkeys).
Really, the museum level dragging on too long and the fucking IDIOTIC Witch enemy design were only true really fundamental issues with the game.
>>
File: 0_12acbb_fd35b944_orig.jpg (2 MB, 3700x1312) Image search: [Google]
0_12acbb_fd35b944_orig.jpg
2 MB, 3700x1312
>>339079702
>context-sensitive melee kill buttons, and tiny maps are bad ideas
Now this is some bullshit I read. The maps are fucking huge actually, even the narrow ones. And finishers work well and don't distract you from gunplay like some other *cough* doomed ninjas did *cough*.
>>
>>339080475
He's the same guy who shits up every Serious Sam thread ever

There's no way more than one person can have opinions as wrong as his
>>
>>339080475
All SS3 levels containing shitty Arab suburbs are terrible. SS3 is like a TFE remake, but worse. Only the final boss is great.
>>
>>339080204
>the fucking IDIOTIC Witch enemy design
Witches could work so well with projectile-based attack, like simple magic fireballs or stones and garbage controlled by telekinesis. I hated that she's hanging you in the air and blurring the screen, that was the worst part. These bitches were fucking sexy tho.
>>
I'm playing SS3 and I just got out of the museum/basement and now I'm back in arabstan.

When do the levels stop being hallways? I heard a lot of good things about this game and I liked both episodes of SS1.
>>
>>339081232
they are
>>
>>339081292
>When do the levels stop being hallways?
there aren't that many openings actually.

SS3 somewhat more linear
>>
>>339081232
The main problem is that when she catches you, you can't fire at her, as she slowly immobilizes you. Not only this means several seconds of time when you lose health and can't do shit, it also means that will take another cycle before she becomes physical again, dragging the already poorly paced battle out even more.
And add other enemies into it and you have a nightmare level of bad enemy design.
>>
>>339081292
Fourth level i think? After you fight Mental's Warship the areas start to become more open, i think.

>>339081232
If they removed the witch's "hold" spell she could have been an interesting enemy.
>>
File: 0_12acb0_def67976_orig.jpg (4 MB, 3888x1581) Image search: [Google]
0_12acb0_def67976_orig.jpg
4 MB, 3888x1581
>>339080742
Well, kind of agree, the ammount of grey and brown colors was horrible, and Vivid setting didn't help that much either, Hope they learned the lesson. From what I see on Talos example, they want to make SS4 more vibrant and cool in the vein of TSE. Isn't that funny by the way - while BFE was kinda-sorta a remake of TFE, SS4 is going to be another remake of TSE.
>>
>>339081539
As long as they don't go overboard on the annoying enemies I'm all for it.

Really, TSE had too many fucking arachnoids and reptiloids perched on the edge of the map. And while the sniper is really fun to use, that doesn't make them any less annoying.

Also I hope to God they don't bring back Marsh Hoppers
>>
>>339081539
>SS4 is going to be another remake of TSE.
What do you mean? I thought SS4 was meant to replace SS2 in the time line, finally giving us a proper sequel to TSE.
>>
>>339081425
>when she catches you, she slowly immobilizes you
i want her to catch me and slowly immobilzie and rape
>>
>>339081425
I couldn't agree more. The biggest bullshit moment in BFE is that you can't simply fight some enemies, like khnums, helicopters and witches, because they're either frustrating or require a special weapon. Or both.
>>
File: ss4cpbfirmed.png (563 KB, 591x535) Image search: [Google]
ss4cpbfirmed.png
563 KB, 591x535
>>339081874
I have some bad news for you, anon.
>>
>TFW when you like everything about serious Sam except for the "arena meat grinder" style of monster encounter
The weapons, map scale, monsters, its all so cool, but I want the game flow to be more like Quake or classic Doom, not just waves of monsters. I never cared for slaughtermaps in doom.
>>
File: CourtyardsOfDeathCameras_0010.jpg (593 KB, 4096x2000) Image search: [Google]
CourtyardsOfDeathCameras_0010.jpg
593 KB, 4096x2000
>>339081904
There should be a special melee attack for Witches and Harpies in SS4 where Sam fucks 'em or they give him a nice mental blowjob.
>>
File: 1456450802536.gif (94 KB, 514x510) Image search: [Google]
1456450802536.gif
94 KB, 514x510
>>339082221
Serious Sam is a clusterfuck of time travel shenanigans.

Sam's perspective: BFE -> TFE -> TSE -> SS2
Actual flow of time: TFE -> TSE -> BFE (not quite sure where to put SS2)

So basically a prequel to BFE could either mean right after TSE or right before BFE.
>>
>>339082478
>mental blowjob
So a mind fuck?
>>
>>339082449
I got used to them, but I certainly wouldn't mind a bit more pre-determined monsters here and there.
>>
>>339082572
Its funny becuase it'd require no real change, just scale the maps to something more labyrinthine with indoor and outdoor areas and the monsters can exist like they do
>>
>>339082540
>SS4 is what happened during the time-era of TFE and TSE before Serious Sam came back in time

What would that even mean i'm just saying stupid shit at this point
>>
File: Croteam.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Croteam.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>339082540
SS2 became non-canon, I think Croteam even confirmed that a couple of years ago. Well, until we get a proper remake. SO right now it seems that the timeline would be:
SS4 -> SS3 -> TFE -> TSE -> ~

I like to think that there are multiple alternate realities caused by his time travels resulting in various versions of events featured in spin-off games like Next Encounter, Random Encounter, SS2 and so on.
>>
>>339082989
What if SS2 is canon, but then another Serious Sam stops Sam from having the events of SS2 happen, creating a new timeline?
>>
>>339082478
what the problem with normal one?
>>
File: serious_sam_2_by_krissar.jpg (134 KB, 900x1164) Image search: [Google]
serious_sam_2_by_krissar.jpg
134 KB, 900x1164
>>339082569
Yes. But I'm afraid this feature is already reserved by Netricsa which can fuck Sam's brain literally.
>>
>>339082989
I don't want SS4 to be a direct prequel to BFE, dammit. I want to face mental. I've been waiting since the ending of SS2 back in 2005! Half Life 2: Episode 2's cliffhanger is nothing by comparison.
>>
File: scythian_witch_harpy.jpg (216 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
scythian_witch_harpy.jpg
216 KB, 1600x900
>>339083164
Just look at harpy's teeth. This is gonna hurt.
>>
>>339082989
But they said that they wanted to remake SS2. Why wouldn't they let SS4 be that game that replaces it in the timeline?
>>
>>339083408
Those tits are fake.
>>
>>339083408
I'm not talking about harpy but the tentacle one
>>
>>339083413
Who knows. May be they want to reveal more information about the backstory and Sam's past. It's a pretty interesting setting in my opinion.
>>
>>339083316
I hope the game where you fight Mental is called The Last Encounter.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 91

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.