[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts on cd key resellers? Why are you paying full price for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 12
File: g2a.png (66 KB, 500x290) Image search: [Google]
g2a.png
66 KB, 500x290
Thoughts on cd key resellers? Why are you paying full price for your games and season passes /v/?
>>
because most of /v/ are retarded to know other options exist to be able to get things
>>
>Buying stolen keys
enjoy getting them revoked
>>
>>338393810
People always bring this up but can you show when it's happened? Steam doesn't care about third party key websites and treats them as if you bought the key from steam.

Steam only cares when you use a VPN on their store.
>>
>>338393801
This, even console users can buy cheaper online off of here but I doubt any of them know that.
>>
Never looked much into it.
How do they get cheaper prices?
>>
>>338394186
Probably from buying in other countries or stealing the keys. Or getting games on sale and reselling when they go back up.
>>
File: g2a revoke.png (27 KB, 799x598) Image search: [Google]
g2a revoke.png
27 KB, 799x598
>>338393947
>>
>>338394186
they buy keys in bulk from low income per household countries like Russia because the prices are lower there
>>
I always bought my keys from gaming dragons and it always worked for me
>>
>>338393947
Or when people try to repossess your account because they have a physical copy of the CD key.
>>
It's widely known that key resellers buy keys for cheap in bulk from third world shitholes and then sell them or they steal the product key code directly from physical boxes in stores.
>>
Does the site take a cut from the sale? I have a windows 10 Quantum Break key from getting it on xbone and I have no one to give it to
>>
File: instantgaming.jpg (20 KB, 258x243) Image search: [Google]
instantgaming.jpg
20 KB, 258x243
Let's do it again i guess
never had any issues whatsoever and i will continue to buy games for cheap
keep fear mongering tho
>>
File: 1443733807202 (1).gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1443733807202 (1).gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>338393656
>buying games
>>
>>338394384
Hmm this is something. It would be interesting to know more. Such as which county jatan is in and the details of the key he purchased.

>>338394489
I got mad max for 20$ when it released on g2a and it worked for me.

>>338394505
Has this ever happened? Scary if it has. Proof?
>>
>>338394186
Mostly:

Tax Evasion (especially for Europe, customers can easily avoid the ~20% VAT)
Buying keys keys at reduced price (most publishers adjust their prices depending on where keys are sold, i.e. they'll hand over keys for russian market ~40% cheaper than for US/Western Europe. Some of these keys are then resold by these retailers on G2A, illegally)
Cut of their profit margin (many standards retailers are taking a ~20% gross profit on games, G2A sellers don't as their operating costs are lower)
>>
>>338394524
yeah they buy in bulk from third world countries, the stolen credit card/game keys is a fear mongering meme.
>>
>>338394524
Such keys are locked to the corresponding region. Thats why the russian region codes are 1/10th of global codes on g2a for example. EU guys and NA guys can't use the russian codes.

Most keys over on those sites are obtained through credit card fraud. People purchase codes using stolen credit cards, then the owners of said credit cards charge back the dev for the purchase resulting in 1 stolen code.

I rather pay a few euros extra to ensure the money goes to the actual dev rather than some fucking ching chong credit card thief.
>>
>>338394673
>not giving money on blind faith to someone from a shady key website and hoping the money somehow gets to the developer.

I bet you illegally download everything.
>>
>>338394715
>>338394457
>>338394279
Yeah, but if your Gog or steam account is american or european, do Russian keys still work?
Last I heard, most keys are region-locked nowadays.
>>
>>338394913
>le all keys are stolen meme
funny every time
>>
>>338394954
I'd download a car if possible, 2bh
>>
>>338394913
>EU guys and NA guys can't use the russian codes.
you could through a VPN. I activated a Russian Dark Souls 2 code from G2A on my NA account when it came out and it still never got revoked.

But I heard that Steam lately has been cracking down on newer codes.
>>
>>338395154
Obviously not all but why take the risk. Also g2a shield. Fuck off
>>
>>338394913
only russian keys are locked to russia
and its specified on the keysite when its the case
europe as a wide array of prices for retail vidya
>supporting the devs
nice meme
>>
>>338395316
>nice meme
If most people didn't actually purchase their games AAA vidya wouldn't exist. Don't expect retarded newfags to understand basic busniess though.
>>
>>338395617
>If most people didn't actually purchase their games AAA vidya wouldn't exist
Oh anon, don't give me hopes.
>>
File: 1446639603699.gif (576 KB, 500x306) Image search: [Google]
1446639603699.gif
576 KB, 500x306
>>338395617
>AAA vidya wouldn't exist
What a day to be alive that'd be.
>>
https://boards.fireden.net/v/search/filename/g2a.png/type/op/

>continuing his fear mongering from yesterday

Remember to report the thread.
>>
>>338395306
what risk? g2a shield is just there to milk more money from retards
>>
File: CDKEYS.png (215 KB, 551x884) Image search: [Google]
CDKEYS.png
215 KB, 551x884
>>338393656
It's a good way to get your account hijacked.

The question is. Is it worth saving $20 on a new release if you end up losing your account and all the items on it, possibly getting VAC/game bans as well?

Personally, I don't think so. I'd rather just wait for Steam sales.
>>
>>338396097
It never happened to me tho
>>
>>338396216
I've never had cancer. I don't believe it exists.
>>
File: 1369240535314.jpg (59 KB, 479x719) Image search: [Google]
1369240535314.jpg
59 KB, 479x719
>>338396097
>>
>>338396097
>Steam Guard
>Mobile Authenticator

I'm good.
>>
>>338395080
For European keys they buy them in countries such as Poland, Romania, Croatia, etc. Retail price of games is lower there plus they cut costs because they don't pay taxes and have a much lower overhead cost.

>>338394913
This is such a blatant lie. Any person with the slightest of intelect and means of deduction will figure out that this just cannot work on the scale that the reseller market works. If it were true then 20-25% of keys bought from publishers would be done via stolen creditcards. If the fraud was really that big then the publishers would've already put failsafe systems into place to instantly block keys that were purchased by stolen cards. It is not that hard to keep track which keys get sent to which purchase.
So why are so few keys blocked then? Because purchases made via stolen cards is very low. Most are not fraud purchases but are done as explained above, by companies pretending to be wholesale retailers that then resell the keys online instead of selling them to local retailers.
>>
>>338393947

I've had two keys revoked, GTA V which I luckily had the ''g2a shield" for (also known as the please refund me for your shitty service shield) and Rocket League which I had no shield for, therefore requiring me to buy it again.

It has only happened with G2A, every other key reseller has been perfect for me.
>>
>>338396097
yesterday we established you were full of shit and never could produce proof that this would disable steamguard and the mobile authenticator
>>
>>338396008
They really make not clear that g2a shield is a monthly sub tho
>>
>>338396372

They stop people attempting to log into your account without your knowledge, they do nothing if valve just hands ownership over to them.

Also how the fuck can you claim ownership of an account with a product key.
>>
>>338396097
Yes, don't buy cheap games, they will steal your account! Buy from us at overpriced 60$!
>>
>>338396372
You're not, because CDkeys are master keys to access your account.

How do you think you gain access to your account if you lose access to your Steam Guard, Authenticator or backup codes?
>>
>>338396650
Why are you complaining about G2A Shield? It's a good thing.
>>
>>338396750
you're goofin around but that is literally what goes on through the shills mind, there's no hyperbole here
>>
>>338396664
How do you think you gain access to your account if you lose access to your Steam Guard email, Authenticator or backup codes?

I'll give you a hint: It's the same way CDkey resellers do it.
>>
>>338396097
Are you mentally handicapped? You posted the same shit yesterday and loads of people either proved you wrong or asked for even a shred of proof that a single cd key can get your account stolen and you kept posting the exact same shitty screencap from steam
>>
>>338397061
So. If you gift someone a game via key you write an email to Valve Support with:
"yeah well I don't have access to my account anymore, someone stole the mobile guard, the password, the security password, the email adress and changed it ALL. My IP is new, too, and I'm trying to log in from a brandnew device, BUT to prove that it's my account, here is a key from CS:GO which got used on this account"?
So ignoring, like, 6 or 7 security methods, only because someone has the key from a game on that account?
>>
I don't even get it, you have the cdkey too since they give it to you to unlock the game in the first place.
If you're part of the 0.1% to get jewed out of your account just open a ticket and you'll be able to get it back again ...
I still have the cdkeys in the box from half life 2 orange box
you're a fuccboi op
>>
>Buy G2A keys for half the price of a game's retail price
>Pay an extra $1.30 for their "shield" in case your shit is revoked

What's the problem? Also I've literally bought over one hundred steam keys from them and not once have had a key revoked.

>B-b-but they're not licensed resellers! You're stealing!
The one and only entity in charge of making keys for your game is you. You control your own keys 100%. Also region restrictions are fucking cancer.
>>
>>338393810
I've bought at least 10 games from sites like this and none of them were ever revoked
I bought overwatch legit though, I feel like if any company were going to crack down on shit like this it would be blizzard
>>
>>338397671
>I feel like if any company were going to crack down on shit like this it would be blizzard

Yeah, I have the same feeling, but Blizz 60 Dollar Overwatch edition on g2a for 40 was just too tempting. I'm risking it. Have g2a shield, so I should be fine, unless Blizz bans my whole bnet account.
>>
>>338397347
Yes
>>
About g2a shield. How does it work? Can I just buy a key, use it, tell g2a it didn't work because it's already been used, and get another one for free?
>>
>>338397267
The only proof that exists is that Valve acknowledge that this happens.

There is no proof that this doesn't happen, only proof that it does.
>>
>>338397846
Did you try it? Or got some proof?
>>
>>338397893
I imagine so since that's what it says. They probably want a screenshot of steam's message saying they revoked the key.
>>
>>338397893
you would need to provide proof that the key didnt work maybe ?
don't really know what they would ask you to do, never had an issue
>>
>>338397893
Yep.

They used to make you run a shady exe file so they could watch you enter the key. Now it's just insurance as they get too much business to police it.
>>
>>338398024
Proof is in the picture. You could go to the Steam support website to see for yourself if you think the screenshot is doctored.
>>
>>338398004
So still after a whole day of asking for any proof you still have none? Why should anyone believe you
>>
File: image.jpg (521 KB, 1280x660) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
521 KB, 1280x660
>bought Sonic CD key with Amazon gift card
>removed from library because of a "payment processing error"
>>
It's worth mentioning that G2A sponsors and has ads at most gaming events and convention. Fucking PAX had their banners everywhere.
>>
>>338398106
Sweet. I think I'm gonna do it for Overwatch then. Let my brother activate the key and make a screen on my account with "key already active".
>>
>>338393656
kinguin is better
>>
>>338398327
that's not proving shit
i think you got stumped anon
also you didnt answer me there -> >>338397402
time to stop shitposting
>>
I've used Kinguin and CDkeys mostly. The one time I used G2A I had my credit card information stolen and used to buy god knows what 15 minutes later.
>>
The only reason you think G2A is reputable is because they sponsor just about every esport, streamer, and gaming event. They are very fishy, G2A shield is a scam, etc. Esports just keep quiet and put their logos on stream because free sponsorship.
>>
>>338398385
>>338398468
The proof is in the pudding. You can choose to believe that Valve is lying and live in denial. It doesn't change the fact that this happens. Anyone with a brain knows you can retrieve your account from a single cd key or a payment method. It checks out any way you look at it.
>>
>>338398468
has to be a physical cd key.

To use cd key as proof of ownership, a physical copy of the key needs to be provided via picture, with ticket # also included in same picture.
>>
If I buy on g2a and get a steam key, does steam think I bought it from them?

In other words, if my house burnt down and pc exploded, when I build a new pc and sign in to steam could i redownload the game I purchased from g2a using steam only?
>>
What's the point of buying keys from shady sites like these when you know nearly all of your money is going to a Russian middleman instead of the devs? The keys are either bought for dirt cheap out of region or paid for with stolen cards and then marked up. Buy from a real site or just pirate the game.
>>
>>338398824
Well, you're litetally the only person I've seen claim this and the fact that for over a decade people have been selling cd keys and there are multiple websites making a lot of money just on selling cd keys abd I'm supposed to believe that you can get somebodies account through a single CD key without a shred of proof? If it's this fucking easy how is this not infinitely more prevalent you braindead retard
>>
>>338398874
>could i redownload the game I purchased from g2a using steam only?
Yes, the game just gets added to your steam library.
>>
>>338399167
NEETs who want to spend little money as possible but still play online games. I can't be damned to try saving $10 on a game and getting my credit card stolen, bad key, wrong region, or literally anything else.

They're even more autistic than adults who have to coupon before going to the store for very little savings.
>>
>>338398862
Yeah, they have pictures of every key they sell. Not all key sites send you the picture, some just give you the key as text, which is obviously a huge problem when you need to contest your account against someone trying to hijack it who has more proof than you.

>>338399204
Just because you didn't know about it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Accounts get hijacked all the time, but you never know *why* it happens. Most people assume they got a virus.

Valve obviously knows that this is a problem which is why there's a section for it on their support website. They are the only ones who get definite proof that it happens.
>>
>>338393810
G2A is by far the most legit reseller

Ubisoft was so mad about it that they've tracked down some keys sold through it and deactivated them and nearly deactivated a majority of AC keys on some other key site
>>
Got me an Overwatch key for 35€ during the beta. Now it's around 45€ everywhere, feels good man.
>>
>>338399698
Dang, just bought it from Best Buy for $48 but at least it came with a $10 gift card and a steel thing.
>>
Bought around six games in the past 2 years from key sites. Steam hasn't done shit.
>>
>>338399482
>try saving $10
nigger, more like 50%. Dark Souls 3 for example is in for 60 Dollaridos, g2a made me pay 30 on release. That's a sweet deal, ESPECIALLY if it's your own hard worked money.
Plus, there are other ways to pay on g2a, without stupid as fuck amerifat credit cards, which are insured.
The only one losing are devs with their overpriced as shit games and cancerous season pass price policy.
>>
File: 1455855119607.png (117 KB, 336x278) Image search: [Google]
1455855119607.png
117 KB, 336x278
>>338399697
>G2A is by far the most legit reseller
>>
>>338399697
G2A isn't really a reseller though. They're more like a search engine/marketplace.
>>
because I don't want to support chechen mafia
>>
>>338399640
You don't understand mate, you're trying to say it's literally as easy as showing a cd key to steam to steal an account and you, some retard on 4chan are the only one talking about this with literally no proof of it ever occuring, why would anyone believe you
>>
>>338399819
>hard worked money.
that's no one then
>>
>>338400258
I'm not a Valve employee, sorry. You'll have to ask them for the evidence.
>>
Welp, I'll just wait for a Steam sale to buy D44M, I think the next one is a month away.
>>
>>338400442
lmao, literally multiple articles last year and hundreds of people talking about how a few keys were stolen but literally not one mention anywhere about something this potentially big apart from you, just kill yourself
>>
>>338396097
They also need to know your login name and email you use for steam.
Go shill somewhere else.
>>
>>338401364
Wrong.
>>
>>338400780
That has nothing to do with this.

I'm not the one who desperately wants to close their eyes to the real world.

Perhaps you should kill yourself since you obviously can't handle the truth.
>>
File: Untitled.png (94 KB, 651x528) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
94 KB, 651x528
>>338401695
Will you fuck off now? Please?
A CD key is only one of the requirements needed.
>>
>>338401847
Lnao i don't think you really underatand what you're saying, according to you someone can just go on twitter copy paste a few humble bundles key that were given away and hack hundreds of accounts, you sure are dumb
>>
>>338402786
Try it.
>>
File: jew shown.png (29 KB, 250x280) Image search: [Google]
jew shown.png
29 KB, 250x280
>>338401886
Just stop it please.
>>
>>338403314
You'd be a jew if you advocated spending full retail price for games.
>>
>>338394913
>a few euros extra
A few? They are selling games for half the price of the games on Steam, are you fucking retarded? And what's to stop a Russian from gifting me a game with half the price on their region? Nothing. And if Valve decides to stop that, then they should get sued.
>>
File: aaaa.jpg (26 KB, 421x179) Image search: [Google]
aaaa.jpg
26 KB, 421x179
Speaking off. I was thinking of getting the Resident Evil 4 HD since Humble Bundle is so shitty.

Is the first one just the old shitty unplayable PC port or will it like "convert" to the HD version since you can't buy it anymore on Steam?
>>
I only really buy games for less than 3-4 euros but It's been fine so far.

Only problem I've had is when I bought Carmageddon 2 Global and got some CIS version I can't play. Didn't get G2A shield though. Now it just kinda hangs around in my games list but I can't play it. But it cost like 1 euro so I'm not that mad about it.
>>
these guys charged me for some bullshit 30 day trial that i can't cancel until 2 days before it autocharges. what. the. fuck.
>>
>>338397893
happened to me
>live chat is useless
>open ticket
>wait a few days for replies
>they ask screencap of your desktop with steam licenses open
>wait another week
>then they ask me to contact steam and get info about the key
>steam never answers

and so i chargeback on paypal and never bought from g2a never again.
shield is completely useless
>>
>>338406510
oh, one thing, they asked for UNEDITED screencap, and they bitched when i removed my login username which shows up on the client
>>
I can only agree that G2A is shady. In 2 years of using key sellers on ebay the only time I had trouble was with G2A (key was already activated).
Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.