[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sell me on the Final Fantasy series, is FF7 really the best one?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 8
Sell me on the Final Fantasy series, is FF7 really the best one? Why is FF8 hated?
>>
FF is probably the most overrated series ever. only 6,7,9 are the good ones if we are only talking about the mainline games. no one likes ff8 because the main character is some whiny emo faggot
>>
>>338394713
>IX
>Good
>>
>>338393585
Yes
Because 8 was different as fuck to past games but it's good and better than 9
>>
File: 1358559779014.jpg (28 KB, 407x439) Image search: [Google]
1358559779014.jpg
28 KB, 407x439
I can't get into any of the Final Fantasyseses with "realistic" characters. Wish they would go back to cartoony characters, last seen in 9, but that ship has sailed. Now everything has to look like jap fashion models.
>>
File: 33d02485_thumb.jpg (36 KB, 554x313) Image search: [Google]
33d02485_thumb.jpg
36 KB, 554x313
FF7 has a great story and a good foundation of mechanics. The difficulty is too easy but there is a selection of pc mods to fix that.

FF6 and FF9 are gorgeous looking games that pushed the hardware they were on. Difficulty is low but the non-gameplay elements are done well. Both are good starting places.

FF12 is good but its very different. To get the best experience you must play International Zodiac Job System version with an English patch.

Your mileage may vary with FF4, FF5, and FF10.

FF8 is just fucking weird and kind of its own thing. A few people like it. Whatever.
>>
FF8 is largely superior to most other FFs, with some nice science-fiction and innovative gameplay, but casuals only like generic fantasy and battle systems.
>>
>>338395203
FFVIII pushed graphics way harder than IX did and IX's gameplay and non-gameplay elements were terrible.

I was just thinking yesterday about how Beatrix's story arc completely disregards all logic behind an unwinnable boss battle and just throws it in because "other JRPGs do this, so lets put one in too". That's how the entire game functions, whether its character arcs or gameplay mechanics. It throws shit in because "other JRPGs did this and it was popular" but it completely misses the point of why these things were done 90% of the time.

IX is an awful game.
>>
>>338393585
>unlikable main character
>no going back to town in the final stretch of the game
>money is salary based rather than dropped from monsters
>emo shit story
>>
anyone have that FF gif of that chick crawling in a skirt while a chick and a black guy follow her?

seen it in a final fantasy Xblank thread a while back and my autism is fixating on it for some reason
>>
>>338396574
>>338394779
>>338394774

Why is it always FF8 fags that shit the hardest on FF9 fags?
>>
>>338393585
FF4-FF9 are pretty much the same thing

>ATB
>Press X to win
>Small band of oppressed rag tag faggots fight against an overwhelming empire/corporation/etc

Fuck that shit
>>
>>338396783
Because there's a stark contrast between the games

8 is super realistic (for its time) and focusing on a love story. Battles are different, leveling is different, equipment is different, summons are different, fuck you even get paid differently compared to all the other ones

While FF9 is just basically a modern day redo of all the old classic games.
>>
>>338396783
They're entries directly next to each other that represent vastly different ideologies on how the series should function.

VIII is highly experimental and innovative, IX "returns to basics" and takes most of its ideas from other games.

VIII has a futuristic/modern setting, IX has a high fantasy setting.

VIII aims to be well written, IX aims to be "likeable" above all else.

VIII is vastly underrated, IX is vastly overrated.
>>
>>338397310
>VIII aims to be well written

And it failed spectacularly.
>>
VIII is the worst love story ever told. I only like it because balamb garden is comfy.
>>
>>338393585
>is FF7 really the best one?
No, that's FF5.
>Why is FF8 hated?
Shit writing, shit balance, incredibly broken gameplay regardless of whether you know what you're doing or not, bad pacing, all of the good things about it disappear after disc 1.
>>
>>338395203
Holy shit, why have I never heard of International Zodiac Job System before? This sounds amazing
>>
>>338393585
>is FF7 really the best one?

No, far from it. But it is a good game.

>Why is FF8 hated?

Annoying "realistic"(kek) characters, dumbfuck story, hilariously broken gameplay (it's seriously almost as bad as II) etc.
>>
it's fine

none of them are very bad, most of them are pretty good. 7 is nothing special, it just happens to be a lot of people's first game in the series, so they judge it more charitably. Still good though, 6 and 7 have a pretty drastic tonal shift though, going from swords and sorcery to a more steampunk/cyberpunk setting.
>>
>>338398274

Squall is probably the best written character in the series. The time compression stuff could use some cleaning up, but the reasoning for it in relation to the game's themes are interesting.
>>
>>338398947
>Squall is probably the best written character in the series.

If by that you mean "the most cliche and poorly developed" then yes.
>>
>>338398947

>Squall
>Good

=D
>>
>>338399059
>Most cliche

He made that cliche.

>poorly developed

The entire game revolves around his development. Every single event that occurs is filtered through his world view lens and through his internal monologues the player directly views how it affects him as a person.
>>
>>338398657
>No, that's FF5.
lel
That's not how you spell FF9
>>
File: ff7.jpg (143 KB, 660x830) Image search: [Google]
ff7.jpg
143 KB, 660x830
VII is objectively one of the greatest and most influential games ever made. Play it.
>>
>>338399338
IX is fucking terrible though.
>>
>>338399384
And that is how I know that you are an underage who has never played older FF games, otherwise you'd know how based FF9 is for returning to the roots
>>
>>338399338
FF9 is completely inferior to 5 in every way that matters.
>>
File: 1357623921891.jpg (356 KB, 700x900) Image search: [Google]
1357623921891.jpg
356 KB, 700x900
>>338393585

The OFFICIAL /v/ Final Fantasy Tier List

>God Tier:

>Good Tier:

>Allright Tier:

>Mediocre tier:

>Bad Tier:

>Shit Tier:
10-2
13-2
>>
>>338399886
acceptable but 13-2 and 10 are good
>>
>>338393585
FF7 is easily the greatest game ever made, provided you played it when the graphics and lack of speech were perfectly acceptable.

The music, atmosphere and plot were out of this world. For many this was their first japanese RPG so the character tropes were not stale. Of course now we know better. That these characters are the only thing that japan can make and its become cliche as fuck.

At the time this was the pinnacle of gaming and of art.
>>
>>338399646
FFIX attempts to return to its roots, but that doesn't make it good at all. That's a grade school level argument.

It doesn't attempt to be anything beyond an homage game, yet still somehow manages to fuck it up with garbage, time wasting mechanics like stealing, eating, and equipment mastery, while creating a story that rushes through itself so hard that it feels completely weightless, and in doing so doesn't add anything that we haven't seen done better in every game that came before it.

IX is literally a worthless game.
>>
File: ffasseenby.jpg (339 KB, 1050x916) Image search: [Google]
ffasseenby.jpg
339 KB, 1050x916
>>
>>338399781
>This is what FF5 fags actually believe
Even Sakaguchi and Uematsu have gone on record saying that FF9 is the best game while nobody remembers 5 aside from the battle on the big bridge song
>>
>>338400315
I am so glad I'm not autistic enough to be amused by this
>>
File: 1463700335337.gif (974 KB, 750x600) Image search: [Google]
1463700335337.gif
974 KB, 750x600
>>338398871

It is a HUGE improvement.

>fast forward past boring open fields whenever you want
>classes actually differentiate your party members
>magic bar isn't tied to your quickenings or summons, so they are actually semi-useful at times

>>338398923

7 was the last one I played, after 1,6,8,9,10, and 12. And it became my favorite. The story pulls some surprising turns and the main cast was actually interesting.
>>
>>338400427

Sakaguchi is a fucking hack who doesn't know what he's talking about. No one cared about Final Fantasy until he stopped directing them.

Reminder that he made Final Fantasy II, and took out the only good thing that game had going for it which was a thematic storytelling property behind Ultima that a programmer had to sneak in behind his back.
>>
>>338400669
I've always enjoyed Final Fantasy Job system (When done properly) and all of the bonus features presented in this sound like things that should have existed in the base game. Out of curiosity, are there any other Final Fantasy games like this? Meaning ones that have a second release that's been greatly improved?
>>
>>338401191
If you really think you know what game is better than the creator himself then sorry, but you are a retard
>>
>>338401905
There are tons of artists in other mediums who think their alternative stuff is much better than their usual work, and everyone has to tell them they're full of shit.

Especially when you consider that IX is the game most similar to his own directed games that he had the least involvement with, of course he would say its the best in order to not sound like an asshole.

But despite that, Sakaguchi is one person, regardless of whether he directed the first few games or not his opinion alone with no substantial argument is not omnipotent.
>>
>>338396672
>money is salary based rather than dropped from monsters

Not true.
>>
>>338399886
Get the fuck out.
>>
>>338399886
My listing of Final Fantasy games.

>God tier:

>Good tier
2, 9,11,

>Shit tier
13, Lightning Returns,
>>
>>338400315
AHAHAHAHA
>>338400459
Get the fuck out.
>>
>>338400669
Oh shit! That fucking pic.
>>338402656
>There are tons of artists in other mediums who think their alternative stuff is much better than their usual work, and everyone has to tell them they're full of shit.

How are they full of shit? Art is subjective.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.