[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you feel about the way Doom 2016 rip off the monster death
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4
File: images.jpg (20 KB, 496x296) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
20 KB, 496x296
How do you feel about the way Doom 2016 rip off the monster death style introduced by brutal Doom mod, and its attempt to reproduce meme things such as the"fast gameplay", "gore" and "creepy atmosphere" which are natural elements of the original Doom era?
>>
Indifferent. How immature do you need to be to get angry at it, though?
>>
And the way they implemented the concept of wave of monsters with the "demonic invasion beyond the limits, kill all of them to unlock the door".
>>
>>338368551
Nobody is angry here. Can't you just be a little more critic about your games?
>>
>>338368495
>meme things such as the"fast gameplay", "gore" and "creepy atmosphere"

...does meme even mean anything at this point?
>>
>>338369413
>does meme even mean anything at this point?

Yes, it means "Something I don't like".
>>
>>338369413
Well, you can replace meme by cliché if you want...
>>
>>338369413
I feel like people just say it when they want to describe things that they don't like but other people do.
>>
>>338369469
What's cliché about fast gameplay? Fast gameplay is fun.

I can picture you standing outside a rollercoaster frowning and muttering to yourself

"Another typical memecoaster with fast speed and loops"

What would you have preferred? A slow Doom with a not-creepy atmosphere and Goldeneye-64-style death animations?
>>
Its better than Brutal Doom, not a rip off. It takes half a second, stays in first person, has more variety, the part of the body you're looking at is targeted making it more smooth, and the game is designed around it instead of being a gameplay mod in an already existing game which makes it feel uneccesary in Brutal Doom.

>>338369406
you come off as an ass hat, just like OP.
>>
>>338369501
You are missing the point. Take the "fast gameplay" as example. It's just implemented to attend the cries of the old and annoiyng fans.
>>
File: f57.jpg (20 KB, 600x497) Image search: [Google]
f57.jpg
20 KB, 600x497
>>338369413
Makes me wonder if memes are a dieing meme
>>
>>338369706
And that's a bad thing why?
>>
>>338369590
I'm trying to say that even the fast gameplay tries to much to reclaim the old feel of Doom, but it fails.
>>
>>338369706
Would you rather Doom 4 had been released like this instead?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrXv5cbNgNg
>>
>>338369751
Thats deep
>>
>>338369706
>game designer makes design decisions that appeal to their fanbase

Wow, fucking terrible. God damn memers with their meme design decision memes. Games should only appeal to ME and anything else is meme shit.
>>
>>338369936
How does it fail?
>>
>>338369957
thats more like fallout
>>
>>338370027
It fails because the fast paced action on original Doom works like an natural element. I mean, you don't have choice but run and shoot. Now, in modern Doom, they did it with so much artificiality that there's ocasions like the wave of monsters to open the door for example, that was made just to give meaning to running and shooting stuff.
>>
File: 1457032127185.jpg (305 KB, 581x542) Image search: [Google]
1457032127185.jpg
305 KB, 581x542
>>338370567
Good, I haven't actually played the game but I just wanted you to explain what you meant without calling something a 'meme' or 'cliche'.
>>
>>338370567
Thats still not even really an explanation. Its not "artificial" that means nothing on its own. The enemies shoot projectiles. If you dont movie the projectiles hit you. What the fuck is wrong with you?
>>
>>338368495
How do you feel about the way Brutal Doom rips off the monster death style introduced by the Doom comic?
>>
>>338370662
Ok, so play the game wenever you can and think about it. Maybe you'll agree with me maybe not, what matters is the different opinions we can have about the same thing.
>>
>tfw game designers are falling for the "good game" meme

How the fuck did this meme ever manage to catch fire
>>
>>338370873
If I don't movie I will theater, or a book...
>>
>>338370567
You do have a choice in the first two Doom games to take it slow, that's how most people played it without mouse controls. Movement is necessitated in both games by the roles enemies take(and the layout of the level in the original - because the AI can't navigate very well and tend to stay in the general area they start in), and that's exactly the way it works in nuDoom. If anything, it's more pronounced, with enemies being several times more aggressive than their classic counterparts, changing positions, charging the player and throwing strong attacks all the time on harder difficulties. They're active enough that it'd force the player to move around a lot even if the combat didn't take place in arenas.

nuDoom having more confined encounters is tied to performance. If you get a bunch of bad guys in a room and manage to break out of that room and continue, spawns will hit a hard limit and no new enemies will appear until you reduce the number of enemies on the map. It'll even clear rooms with enemies in them if you rush through them to save on processing power. It's not ideal (they could just deactivate the AI when you get far enough away), but it's what happens.
>>
>>338371783
>nuDoom
It's D44M, friend.
>>
>>338371783
> limited number of enemies at once
> will de-spawn them if you move too far away.

It's interesting how different engines can be so shit at different things. Games like, for example, Souls' series have the entire levels worth of enemies all loaded at once and in coop you can have people at opposite ends of the area fighting them, not to mention thier corpses last until the game reloads and it keeps track of them across absurd distances (Gargoyle Demons that fall off the tower of Latria corpses can be found in the swamp hundreds of feet below).

Then Doom can't have more than X enemies spawned at once, all must be close to the player and have no persistent corpses.
>>
>>338368495
>Brutal Doom came up with executions
>meme gameplay
Oh fuck, it's summer already.
>>
>>338373525
Idtech6 seems to be really bad at keeping a persistent level in general, especially when reloading a checkpoint which causes every pickup that isn't a collectible to respawn.
>>
>>338369751
The "memes are dying" meme is the greatest meme of all.
>>
>>338373525
It's not the enemies, it's the complexity of their AI and, especially, the pathfinding mesh.

Having bunches of enemy corpses hanging out is trivial.

Having bunches of pathing, behavior-tree-ing AIs running is another matter altogether.

More to the point, I think you'd find that enemy AIs in DaS shut down immediately when the player was out of range. No game except an abhorrently programmed one would leave AI actors ticking when there was no reason to do so.

Why D44M chooses to simply despawn enemies rather than disabling their ticking/shutting off their AI is a mystery to me, though.
>>
I think when op means "meme", he doesn't mean something he doesn't like.

He means he likes it, but wants to appear smart by being cynical about it.
>>
File: 1412916204015.jpg (38 KB, 544x339) Image search: [Google]
1412916204015.jpg
38 KB, 544x339
>>338370567
>it fails because I say so
>>
>>338368495
I could do without the Glory Kills but they're not that bothersome really.
>>
>>338368495

>reproduce meme things

I... What?
>>
>>338368495

By complaining about glory kills you've already confirmed you didn't play on the highest difficulty level where using such is a one way ticket to death. How do you feel about shitposters trying to recreate memetalk about games they haven't fully played?
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.