[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Western vs Eastern
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 16
File: Templ.png (728 KB, 779x499) Image search: [Google]
Templ.png
728 KB, 779x499
Okay /v/ let's attempt to have a legitimate discussion about the differences in Western Vs Eastern games. RPGs, Action, so on. I would prefer if we could refrain from "I like jRPGs because Western ones are shit! Lol, git better taste"

But I completely expect it with how half the people on this board are

>What are the primary differences in writing styles?
>What are the differences in storytelling?
>What are the differences in character development?
>Which do you prefer and why?
>>
>>338356898
>RPGs

It's all shit, go play a real game.
>>
File: adult_exhausting.jpg (54 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
adult_exhausting.jpg
54 KB, 1280x720
Well, while both types of games usually feature some sort of male power fantasy, there are differences in the approach.
Japs are not afraid to do stuff that is silly and not particularly realistic. Or maybe they just can't do coherent stuff - knowing their autistic culture it wouldn't be a surprise.
While protags in both are usually strong, western characters are usually already mature and powerful, while nipponese may show some sort of growth from weak to strong.
Ultimately, this shows a difference these two cultures approach growth in the formative years. Western adults just tell kids to man up, while eastern acknowledge that kids will be whiny kids, and need to grow up through experience. Maybe it also has to do with the fact that japanese youngsters are expected to behave like adults once their education is over, so games allow to re-live the less stressful and serious days of youth.
This might be the reason why their games are more colourful and less serious.
>>
>>338356898
West = heterosexual
East = metrosexual
>>
>>338356898
West = no gameplay and cringy dialogue.

East = gameplay and cringy dialogue.
>>
>>338356898
The biggest difference between JRPGs and WRPGs is that WRPGs are more about choosing your character's personality and actually "being" your character, while JRPGs usually have a protagonist that's much more predefined, and the player is just coming along for the ride. Both are good in their own way, but I tend to prefer the WRPG approach.
>>
File: 1460611180086.jpg (37 KB, 650x440) Image search: [Google]
1460611180086.jpg
37 KB, 650x440
>>338356898
>>338357696

>West = heterosexual (Can tell the hero is a man or woman)
>East = metro-sexual androgynous faggots

Fixed that for you anon
>>
>>338356898
i prefer Western dialogue writing but Jap story.

Jap seem to stick with the theme and not turn it into some generic shit. but their dialogue are pretty bad(mostly have to do with language structure, when you translate it it can sound really off)
>>
>>338356898
> My cliche is better than yours
>>
>>338357696
West = Philadelphia born and raised
East = Is where I spent most of my days
North = Chilling out, maxin', relaxin' all cool
South = Playin' some b-ball outside of the school
>>
>>338357465
This is an interesting way to look at it that I never thought of before.

>>338357834
So which one of those do you prefer? A game where you can (Somewhat) control the outcome, or the game that is arguably more concise but has no real choices?

>>338358173
Do you think you prefer the western dialogue because it fits with how you are, or do you believe it has more to do with how some things written in eastern games gets lost in translation?
>>338358312
I didn't even say which I prefer, but that's mostly because I didn't want this thread to start out with rampant shit posting about how awful my taste is.
>>
>>338356898
Western stories tend to stick the the three act story very rigidly and love sequels and sagas. These things are typical in many european civilizations no mater how far back you go.

Eastern stories on the other hand usually have a defined end point for their story, they usually don't feel the need to keep adding to it, and they use much more symbolism and allegory in their story writing. They also don't necessarily follow the three act story arc, although they can and have.

A good example outside of vidya is comic books. Batman for example has been running for almost a century and is composed of hundreds of stories, most of which follow a predictable arc, and this is typical of western story telling. Mangas on the other hand usually end, and are usually composed of one large story. These same fundamental elements can be found across all forms of media.

Obviously there's many examples that contradict these storytelling patterns. But for the large majority they hold true.

Personally I wouldn't say I prefer either. They're both interesting and quality has nothing to do with east or west but the person/people behind it.
>>
>>338357465
I think the Japanese are repressed and oppressed and that's why almost all of their popular entertainment is colorful, wacky fantasy. It's pure escapism and the farther from reality, the better.
>>
>>338358680
>So which one of those do you prefer? A game where you can (Somewhat) control the outcome, or the game that is arguably more concise but has no real choices?
I usually prefer the former, though I do enjoy the latter every now and then.
>>
>>338357696
You realize Mass Effect is full of gays, like actual legitimate gays, right?
>>
>>338359168
Even their gays are manly. Meanwhile every male in a nip game is a faggot, whether he's gay or not.
>>
>>338357868
West = Homosexual generic bald men, women who look like trannies. Completely forgettable designs.
East = Variations between young pretty boys, older manly men, cute little girls, beautiful women all with variation in style, distinctive designs.
>>
>>338359307
No, their gays are faggots.

Even the biggest fuccboi in a JRPG or Japanese media is more manlier than those western legitimate faggots, being manly is more than having muscles and a shaved head, it's a mindset. There is a reason people consider Luffy as a manly character even though he's skinny and in his early 20s
>>
File: 1463146743775.jpg (389 KB, 1284x980) Image search: [Google]
1463146743775.jpg
389 KB, 1284x980
>>338359352
>East = Variations between young pretty boys, older manly men, cute little girls, beautiful women all with variation in style, distinctive designs

You gotta be shitting me KeK

Not even you truly believe this garbage you're spewing you weaboo cock sponge
>>
File: jrpg.jpg (514 KB, 1359x1061) Image search: [Google]
jrpg.jpg
514 KB, 1359x1061
>tfw Western games just fucking suck and Japanese games are literally better in every single objective, measurable way.

Not even a weeaboo, Western devs try too hard to pander to everyone and be inclusive to freaks, Japanese devs just don't fucking care and make exactly what they want. I like the way it's usually some dictator of a director who makes the game they want it to be, and completely disregards marketing analysts, fan polls, SJWs or anything else. They just stick to their guns

Think about it:

Hideo Kojima (Metal Gear, Zone of the Enders)
Shigeru Miyamoto (Zelda, Star Fox, Mario)
Masahiro Sakurai (Kirby, Smash)
Daisuke Ishiwatari (Guilty Gear)
Hideki Kamiya (Okami, Bayonetta, Viewtiful Joe, Devil May Cry)
Katsuhiro Harada (Tekken)
Yoshinori Ono (Street Fighter)
Satoshi Tajiri (Pokemon)
Eiji Aonuma (Zelda)
Cozy Okada (Megami Tensei)
Tomonobu Itagaki (Dead or Alive, Ninja Gaiden)
Hidetaka Miyazaki (Armored Core, Souls, Bloodbourne)
Hironobu Sakaguchi (Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, Kingdom Hearts, Xenogears)

There's literally not a single Western game developer better than a single one of these devs. Yes, I'm counting Carmack and Romero.

White people (and everyone else besides Japanese people) should just stop trying to make video games. Japanese people are better than us at this, it's like how Koreans are the only people who can excel at StarCraft no matter how much everyone else tries. Japanese people have DEFINED what video games are for decades, and they will continue to do that despite how much Western gamers who love boring as fuck, SJW pandering RPGs and cinematic experiences instead of actual games protest against them.

What have Western devs contributed in the past decade? Snorefest simulators and slow as fuck strategy games, CoD and millions of CoD derivatives, boring as fuck "open-world" Ubishit games. StarCraft and Grand Theft Auto are the only franchises the West has to be proud of, EVERYTHING else is shit in comparison to Japan.
>>
File: barret.jpg44.jpg (39 KB, 349x480) Image search: [Google]
barret.jpg44.jpg
39 KB, 349x480
>>338359603
Show me a more manlier character in a western RPG than Barret. You cannot be this fucking retarded. JRPGs have pretty boys, manly men, cute loli, busty women, none human characters from demons, robots, frogmen, ayylmaos, the lot.

WRPGs is just all gay bald faggots and trannie women, and any non human is faggot too.
>>
>>338359603
am i getting baited?
>>
File: Barret.jpg (6 KB, 192x217) Image search: [Google]
Barret.jpg
6 KB, 192x217
>>338359803
>>338359864
What the fuck are you doing?
>>
>>338356898
>What are the primary differences in writing styles?
I don't think the style of writing is the predominant difference. You'll find certain archaetypes more prominent in JRPGs, but in my opinion the primary difference is mechanics.

>>What are the differences in storytelling?
Same as above.

>What are the differences in character development?
It depends on what you mean by that. If you're talking about plot-wise character development, then the same as above applies. If we're talking about mechanical development in the sense of defining the character's skills/personality, then that's where the core difference is.

In western RPGs - not all of them, but enough of them to be characteristic - you get the opportunity to define your character's personality. This is usually done through multiple choice dialogue and allowing the player to solve quests by different means, which in the end reflects upon the character. Most characteristic is non-combat player-world interaction here, e.g. using skills like 'science', 'pick-pocket', on various NPCs or world-objects in order to progress in the game. This is something not commonly found in JRPGs.

>Which do you prefer and why?
Personally, I prefer western RPGs because I like being able to experiment with the game as the aforementioned approach allows for a lot of replayability, being able to solve things by different means can turn the game into a completely different experience depending on your build. Aesthetically, I'm not opposed to Japanese design at all. I'd love to see a game with Japanese aesthetics that was mechanically inspired by western games like Bloodlines, Torment, Fallout or Arcanum for example.
>>
You now realize that protagonist in WRPGs are latent homosexual

Even if you choose to not be gay, you still have the potential to be gay.
>>
>>338358749
I really enjoy this way of looking at it, and I personally prefer the story arcs... To a point. I think that there are a lot of Western series (Not just games, but in all forms of media) that have gone on long enough, but noticing their differences and what each of them brings to the table is also important, and I can understand the desire to switch it up sometimes when one things becomes stale.

>>338358824
That's an interesting take on it. I would agree that their games being more left-field fantasy has something to do with their culture. It's easy to say "Yeah, Japs are fucking weird." but I'm more interested in figuring out exactly where it comes from.

>>338359460
>Variations between young pretty boys, older manly men, cute little girls, beautiful women all with variation in style, distinctive designs.
I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one friend. I've seen a lot of anime, I've played a lot of jRPGs, and for the most part their arts styles are all pretty similar, I'm not saying western styles aren't also similar, but I think that's the point. I also didn't ask about the art styles in the OP because for the most part, that's a purely subjective opinion. Just like how some people are willing to spend million on a Picasso, but other people think his art work belongs in the trash.

>>338359751
Oh hey. I've seen this copy paste before. If you're going to shit post at least do it originally please.
>>
File: masseffectgay.jpg (24 KB, 638x354) Image search: [Google]
masseffectgay.jpg
24 KB, 638x354
>>338360001
This.

WRPGs are literally gay.
>>
>>338360025
I was talking about JRPGs having more variation than WRPGs do.
>>
File: 200px-Minsc.jpg (12 KB, 200x316) Image search: [Google]
200px-Minsc.jpg
12 KB, 200x316
>>338359864
>>
>>338360089
>play mass effect 2
>skip dialogues and choose random choices
>my shepard ends up in bed with another male character

WRPGs, everybody.
>>
i stopped playing japanese games when i became old enough to realize that Nintendo wasn't the only gaming company in the world, and i never looked back. Western games must be pretty good since that happened about 15 years ago.
>>
>>338360001
So do you, latent faggot.
>>
>>338360181
>Really? It's all about ethics?

what did he mean by this?
>>
File: Barret_PortraitNB.png (284 KB, 457x444) Image search: [Google]
Barret_PortraitNB.png
284 KB, 457x444
>>338360181
Try again.
>>
>>338360260
>no u
This is the kind of dialogue I'd expect in a WRPG.
>>
File: War.jpg (282 KB, 900x1350) Image search: [Google]
War.jpg
282 KB, 900x1350
>>338356898
>Okay /v/ let's attempt to have a legitimate discussion about the differences in Western Vs Eastern games.
Why
holy shit fuck off already these threads always turn into cancer

I play both but you boring fucks decide like to to scream at eachother in a feedback loop rather than to play fucking video games.

You know what I did few weeks back? I played games. For a whole week. I felt so fucking good, because I didn't visited any internet forums/community/board whatever. I just played it. And then when I came back into the fold I got more angry.

So stop typing and start playing more. NO DONT FUCKING ALT TAB OUT.
>>
>>338360432
>stop discussing video games
No.
>>
>>338360432
>Americans
>being able to enjoy both sides of an issue
Just look at how politically fucked the legislation is there. You have half of the country trying to legalize marijuana while the other half is on the completely opposite spectrum trying to criminalize abortion.
>>
Japan is king at action games, the west is absolute shit with some exceptions like FPS which stopped being good over a decade ago though.
>>
>>338360158
Ah, fair enough. I think that has something to do with the engine choices though. Most western RPGs (As far as I know) primarily use a character editor to allow you to choose what your character looks like. It's only natural that if you're going to be choosing what they do/say as these anons pointed out
>>338359945
>>338357834
Then it only makes sense that you should also have some control over what they look like, as it;s you taking a character and inserting them into world to find their place, meanwhile in JRPG's it's more about a character that already fits into the world, so they have more creative freedom to be specific. In most JRPGs most of the NPCs are fairly generic as well, it's only the main cast that is distinct, or, more distinct than in Western games.

>>338360194
That is mostly your fault for skipping dialogue in a game series that tells you that your choices in dialogue affects the outcome of events.

>>338360432
>I play both but you boring fucks decide like to to scream at eachother in a feedback loop rather than to play fucking video games.
That's the whole reason to have threads like these, threads where a variety of people can discuss why they have their tastes. It's interesting to actually hear proper reasons for things instead of people shitposting on each other and calling each other names.
>>
File: cor-hires.jpg (2 MB, 1271x4090) Image search: [Google]
cor-hires.jpg
2 MB, 1271x4090
>>338356898
>Cropping Cor out of the image.
>>
Western RPGs are more about the player exploring the world at their own pace and carving their own path. There's a lot of sandboxes, there's a lot of character creation and dialogue options, there's a lot of choice and open worlds. They want to make the player believe that this is their own story. In order to achieve this, they'll often strive for realism.

Japanese RPGs are more about the player experiencing a predestined story about a character who is not the player. There's often a huge focus on the main cast of characters rather than attempting a living world with hundreds of unique NPCs. It isn't worried about making the player believe that these are relatable or realistic situations so it goes and does whatever wacky bullshit it wants. Despite the wacky bullshit, they feel more cohesive to me because the developer doesn't have to worry about the player wanting to do everything their own way and can write one single story.

There are of course exceptions.

I typically prefer JRPGs because I don't like self insert character creation or dialogue options and prefer a main character who is his own unique person with his own unique reactions and developments.
>>
>>338361350

WRPG = choose your own adventure book
JRPG = novel book
>>
>>338361692
That's a much more concise way of putting it, yeah.
>>
>>338361350
I hope someday we can have a good compromise of the two. I first became interested in RPG's from playing Tabletops in elementary school, and even though it was a character I created and controlled, the world (Or at least my GM) was incredibly good at making it still feel like an actual story. Obviously that level of technology isn't here yet, but with what we have now I would expect us to be able to do something that fits both of those archetypes.
>>
>>338359864
He's a literal cuck who can't even get pussy and follows a crossdressing twink around.

Garbage
>>
>>338360194
>Skip through dialogue and choose options at random
>Get upset when something you don't like happens
>>
>>338361692
JRPG = picture book
>>
>>338362174
thats the most inaccurate shit ive read in months

congrats
>>
>>338361350
>In order to achieve this, they'll often strive for realism.
I don't think realism is the characteristic difference. While generally, western fantasy settings are more 'realistic' in the sense that they're made with greater detail to the technicalities, making them often more down-to-earth and 'believable' within their own - often unrealistic - context, but I think that's more a consequence of the game mechanics. Refer to what I wrote in >>338359945 in regards to player-world interaction. In western RPGs the player gets to interact with the world in greater detail, since often his decisions impact certain parts of it, which means that the coherences of his decisions need to be considered within the framework of the fictional world. The world in western RPGs is more directly interwoven into the gameplay since it's affected by player decisions, which means that more 'realism' is a requirement. In contrast to many JRPGs were many aspects of the world are often left unexplained, being merely backdrop to the central plot. Another aspect may be that WRPGs are often based on pre-existing pen & paper RPG settings which naturally makes them more fleshed out as people need to be able to create their own adventures within these settings.

>I typically prefer JRPGs because I don't like self insert character creation or dialogue options
It's not necessarily about inserting 'yourself'. You can play a character who resembles you, but it can also be fun coming up with an interesting character concept and trying out how it works and what the game allows you to do. What I like is the experimentation I'm able to do in that regard, and if the game rewards me with unique events or unique reactions that recognise what I did, then I'm motivated to replay the game. JRPGs often frustrate me when they make the main character do something I disagree with, or make him unsympathetic yet leave me helplessly watching - despite the fact that I'm supposedly in control.
>>
>>338362247
How? JRPGs go for spectacle and follow very straight forward stories with a lot of non-interactive cutscenes and visuals.

Not to mention they're easy to digest and come out in droves by different creators for there consumers to pick it.
>>
>>338362484
>with a lot of non-interactive cutscenes

the last wrpg ive played has like 5 times more cutscene than the last jrpg ive played
>>
>>338362257
>JRPGs often frustrate me when they make the main character do something I disagree with

To be honest, there are several western RPGs that are guilty of this as well. That said, I agree that this is more prominent in Japanese games.

It's good that both types of games exists, but I think both sides should experiment a bit more with different styles. I typically prefer the Japanese style, mostly because I don't really manage to play creatively or "make" a character. Not that I play many RPGs in the first place.
>>
>>338362530
Shoot
>>
>>338362648
>To be honest, there are several western RPGs that are guilty of this as well.
Of course. It's an inherent problem of the system, since occasionally you may run into a situation where the options you have all clash with what you have envisioned for your character. Still, it doesn't occur as frequently and is soon forgotten the next moment you get a fitting opportunity. Not to mention that not having voice acting for the main character also helps since it leaves certain lines of text open to interpretation - opposed to Mass Effect for example where the line of text is not just acted out, but presented in a little cutscene with the player character possibly doing all kinds of things the player may disagree with and which the line of text, which was just a vague summary of what is being said/done, did not give away.
>>
>>338362847
I enjoyed mass effects system, but only for Mass Effect. Now that that same system is infesting every other major western RPG it's becoming tiresome. I personally think that having a fully voiced main character is a huge setback for western games as it takes away their major selling point, choice.
>>
>>338362257
I don't really mind when a JRPG protagonist does something that I don't agree with because I never see them as myself in any capacity despite controlling them in gameplay. He's just the character that the story happens to revolve around.

Have you played Tales of the Abyss? Luke is a great character to look at to decide what a person wants from their protagonist. He's a spoiled selfish asshole at the start and makes some incredibly rash decisions that a sane player would never make, so a lot of people instantly hate him. I love him to bits though because he made the game very interesting to watch unfold, with how he clashed with everyone and how his idiocy blew up in his face. He also undergoes severe character development through the story and it's incredibly satisfying to see such a rotten brat decide to change himself for the better and become a genuinely loving person by the end. You just aren't going to see that kind of on-screen conflict and growth in a player-created character.
>>
JRPGs are more optimistic, metaphorical, fairy tale-ish, focused on spirit and personal growth

WRPGs are gritty, down to earth/concrete/"realistic", pessimistic, focused on willpower and rationality
>>
>>338357465
>>338358824
>i don't like fun, games should be mature, boring, and realistic for mature gamers like me

Got it
>>
>>338363082
>You just aren't going to see that kind of on-screen conflict and growth in a player-created character.
You could attempt to play a conflicted character. For example, I once played a Black Guard in Neverwinter Nights 2, later redeemed him to become Lawful Good (an opportunity the game gives to evil characters) and then took some levels as a Paladin, which was quite the interesting character concept as the Black Guard abilities aren't lost (unlike a fallen Paladin).
However, obviously the player character can never be all too conflicted on the inside - that is a limitation of the genre, and not one we're going to solve any time soon. On the other hand, I'd argue that it's a bit of a limitation in regular pen & paper RPGs as well, due to their cooperative nature, since the other players probably wouldn't want to put up with all too 'conflicted' special snowflakes playing with them.

In the end, it depends on what one is looking for in a game. To me, RPGs are mostly sandboxy/power-fantasy simulators, rather than traditional storytelling platforms.
>>
>>338362648
>To be honest, there are several western RPGs that are guilty of this as well.
And it's more annoying when it happens in a WRPG, because you're used to being able to make your own decisions. At least in a JRPG, you know you're not playing your own character, so you don't have as much of a problem with the protagonist doing things you don't like.
>>
>>338363767
I disagree for the given reason in >>338362847. You might run into such an opportunity occasionally - and in older games significantly less so due to them being not as 'cinematic' (which in my opinion is the anti-thesis to what a western RPG is supposed to be) - but you usually forget about the instance soon after; after all, dialogue options are frequent. In a JRPG on the other hand, if the main character is dislikeable then you're stuck with him throughout the game, having to suffer his personality all the time without being able to affect it in any way, which can be really frustrating since the game leaves all the boring parts to you, e.g. fighting random encounters, yet as soon as something important happens the character is taken out of your hands and does what he wants. If defining my own character is what I'm looking forward to in a game, then I don't need to play such JRPGs because they don't offer at all what I like.
>>
>>338364117
Who is a JRPG protagonist that you did not like?
Why did you not like them?

I'm just curious because I've literally never been bothered by a character who people decry as "whiny", but defining my own character isn't why I enjoy JRPGs so my expectations and values are vastly different from yours.
>>
>>338364386
>Who is a JRPG protagonist that you did not like?
Squall from FFVIII for example.

>Why did you not like them?
His whole attitude and mannerisms annoyed me to no end. I actually stopped playing at some point because I completely lost interest in the game - which arguably wasn't that great in terms of gameplay either.
>>
>>338364508
I might add: I played Baldur's Gate shortly afterwards and it completely flashed my mind how much freedom it gave me in comparison with FFVIII, where I was stuck with this horrid main character. I suddenly could pick my own dialogue choices, I could pick my own fights, choose whose ass to kick and so on. A completely new kind of gameplay opened up to me.

That was the moment I fell in love with western RPGs and I haven't looked back since.
>>
>>338359460
>There is a reason people consider Luffy as a manly character even though he's skinny and in his early 20s
The reason is OP fags are a bunch of cock sucker who think Oda can not do wrong and every piece of padding in the manga should be displayed in the louvre.
>>
>JRPG
The game sucks, I'll go read a book instead.
>WRPG
The writing sucks, I'll go read a book instead.
>>
I've never really seen 'JRPG's' as true RPG's anyway. This is probably because I played a shit ton of D&D when I was younger, so to me RPG's have always been about the player assuming a role/character and being able to actually choose what that character does.
So being assigned some random character who has their own personality and I have no real control over them or the overall story, asides from getting them to the end has always annoyed me.

For example:
In Fallout, I could have someone give me a quest to take out a bandit gang and the game presents several different ways I can go about this, IF I even choose to accept the quest.
I could just go and murder them all OR I could bribe them to leave OR I could lie to the quest-giver and say I've already done it. etc..etc.
It's usually just a matter of stats.
And not only can I choose how to approach the quest, but it's outcome could actually effect the game world, so I can experience different interactions with NPC's that I wouldn't have if the quest was never there.
And I'm sure there are some 'JRPG's' that do this but they likely would tend to be outliers.

Meanwhile in something more like Final Fantasy I could get a quest to do something and if I choose to accept, I must do EXACTLY what the quest-giver asks even if I'd rather not.
It's much more limited in general. And the game world tends to be totally static and unaffected by what few 'choices' (If any) that the player can make.
And just like before, I'm sure there are also Western RPG's that follow this route, but they are also likely outliers.

But that does bring me to another point, what really defines a Japanese RPG or a Western RPG?
If someone in the West makes their own Final Fantasy game does that make it a JRPG or a WRPG?
What stops it from being a Turn-based action game (or something else).
Or, for instance, what stops games like Bioshock Infinite, or even the recent Call of Duty/Battlefield games from being considered JRPG's?
>>
>>338366029
Also I'm in no way trying to make fun of/dismiss JRPG's.
Plenty of them are excellent games that I enjoyed playing.
I'm just asking whether or not they are truly Role-Playing games.
>>
File: Japanese space marine.webm (1 MB, 652x616) Image search: [Google]
Japanese space marine.webm
1 MB, 652x616
>>
>>338366217
They're not Role Playing Games in the sense that you think of them.

The terms JRPG and WRPG are pretty meaningless in general and should be phased out. The place where the game was made isn't always indicative of how it plays, even if there are common trends, as seen in this thread. Plenty of JRPGs aren't even trying to get the player to assume a role.

There's something wrong when Atelier Rorona and Demon's Souls can both be called JRPGs. People will argue that Souls isn't a JRPG, but it's a game made in Japan with RPG elements. There's something wrong when a person in the west can make a game identical to a person in the east and they'll be branded as different genres.
>>
File: 1457180352370.jpg (69 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
1457180352370.jpg
69 KB, 460x215
>>338366029
I think to be considered JRPG you need a few things:

1. some kind of grind/levelling
2. linear story
3. "japanese" aesthetics
4. "japanese" storytelling

Since 3 and 4 are very hard for people without Japanese sensibilities to do it's tricky to make Western JRPGs. There have been attempts, but none very successful.
>>
>>338356898

I like both varieties when they hit the right chords, and the art appeals to me.

Lord know I wouldn't have the patience for either if I didn't dig the art.

You picture features two games I'm not interested in.
>>
File: hooked.webm (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
hooked.webm
1 MB, 1280x720
>>338359883
>responded
>>
>>338360194
That's likely to happen in real life as well, if you act that way.
>>
>>338366646
Thanks for the reply, I agree with you on most of you points, it's pretty crazy that anyone can look at something like Dark Souls and call it a JRPG.
I just have to wonder in what sense that they are considered RPG's.
How would you classify something like Final Fantasy?

>>338366993
That's one of the big problems I have with the term.
1. Grinding/Levelling does not necessarily make something an RPG, most modern shooters have this as a part of the multiplayer but that doesn't make them RPG's

2. The linear story is part of why I don't consider them RPG's as it eliminates choice from the game.

3+4. As >>338366646 stated these terms don't really mean anything and I'd say are more restrictive than anything, and especially these days when you have anime's like Avatar going around, this notion of 'Japanese' aesthetics is meaning less and less. Not to mention the amount of Western themes inside several JRPG's anyway make me question these ideas.
>>
are slav games western??
>>
>>338368391
Look up "family resemblance" on Wikipedia. When it comes to genres (and pretty much anything else), it's not as easy saying this game has x, so therefore it's a JRPG. It's always based on feeling and subjectivity. Closely related is cognitive and gestalt psychology which also deals with how humans categorize things mentally.
>>
>>338368391
The difference in aesthetics are very real, though, and you can quite easily recognise Japanese art as compared to something produced in the West, or Japanese writers compared to Western ones. I have a bit more trouble with music, but I'm sure trained ears will be able to identify the distinctive styles there too.
>>
>>338368690
>I'm sure trained ears will be able to identify the distinctive styles there too.
The distinction in music style is very real. That goes for Japanese music vs. western music, almost regardless of genre, period. In video game music, the difference is huge.
>>
File: adachi smile.png (198 KB, 625x838) Image search: [Google]
adachi smile.png
198 KB, 625x838
>>338356898
Western tends to focus more on the characters than the story, Eastern does the opposite. Even in games like Persona 3 or 4, which have Social Links for most of the major characters, the main focus is still on the plot. In a Western game, the story usually takes a backseat to the character interactions, at least from what I've seen.

I generally prefer Eastern games for this very reason. It's pretty rare for me to really care about the characters of a game all that much, so the time spent focusing on them is kinda wasted on me.
>>
>>338360348
you dont fucking understand what him was trying to say.
>>
>>338368690
>>338368873
I'm not going to argue that there isn't a difference between Western/Japanese artstyles and themes.
But whether these should even be considered relevant.
Both Call of Duty and Bioshock are considered First-person shooters, yet on an artistic they are extremely different, not just artwise, but also the overall story theme and progression.
But they are both considered equal.

When it comes to establishing game genre's what should matter is the gameplay first, story/setting second.
>>
>>338369805
>When it comes to establishing game genre's what should matter is the gameplay first, story/setting second.
In an idea world that doesn't exist. Genres are scientific categories. They're blurry. They exist because of and are use as way of communicating associatively. There's no way you're going to be able to make the world adhere to any definition that anyone makes. Language invents itself. As long as people are communcating sort of sufficiently with it, it won't change.
>>
>>338356898
From my pov

Jap games
>experimental, leading to new genres and gameplay mechanics which have become standards (Resident Evil, and Metal Gear Solid for example)
>put gameplay ahead of cutscenes, story, and graphics and the game mostly revolves around the gameplay itself
>lots of unlockable shit everywhere
>games are often harder, but are more reliant on muscle memory than actual skill
>tends to be more stylizied and colorful
>less emphasis on realism because fun, but can do good to okay realism when they want to
>can't do a game based in/on another country without being over-the-top about it
>indie game scene isn't very popular, but still makes a few great titles here and there

Western games
>FPS and RTS are great genres
>more or less invented online multiplayer as we know it
>games are more based on skill than muscle memory
>PC ports, bitches
>Games are often more character/story-driven
>patches, DLC, and early access a cancer
>liberal agendas and people with liberal agendas often have some influence on modern games
>"gaming journalism"
>The YouTube "gaming" community
>gamer "culture" and gamer grrls
>not allowed to do sexy, even when rated "M" because the children
>arbitrary realism (character can die from a severed artery, but can fall from a fucking airplane with no trouble)
>games get casualized to bring in sales, but at the cost of the game's quality; games are often buggy and require patches on release
>games are very linear
>indie games vary greatly in quality and are moderately popular
>most games are made by big corporations who spend half the budget on CGI commercials
>memes
>/v/
>>
>>338370096
aren't* scientific categories

(and there's no need for them to be)
>>
>>338370489
>>not allowed to do sexy, even when rated "M" because the children
Isn't Puritanism great? You're allowed to decapitate people but if there's even a slight hint of tits or ass everyone's up in arms.
>>
A lot of Japanese games feel quite constrained by mechanics and engines, but I think that's because they simply cannot compete with larger western publishers.

I often enjoy the stories in Japanese games more than I do the ones in western games, but I think western games are often more visually impressive, have more interesting assets and game mechanics. But a lot of them just feel kinda soulless or designed-by-committee.

But then when you get a Japanese studio that either has money or vision or a mix of both, you get some really great games. Conversely I like a lot of western games that don't have a lot of budget, because I feel like they don't rely on money as a crutch and instead create interesting stories or fun mechanics.

I dunno. I like them both.
>>
>>338362025
>Adopting a child of your dead best friend makes you a cuck.
You have no fucking clue what words mean you faggot.
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.