[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This game is fucking overrated. I can't really understand
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
This game is fucking overrated. I can't really understand what people see in this game:
>holding forward for most of the game
>tries to be artsy fartsy, but it's nothing I haven't seen before in film/other games
>don't see any reason to replay it
Kind of a more personal reason:
>only saw about two other people in the game
>seeing those people still didn't make much of a difference in my opinion of the game
You're better off just playing something like Ico or Shadow of the Colossus.
>>
Denial
>>
>>338333821
Of what? I really wanted to like this game because of how much everyone seemed to like it.
>>
It was a neat, short game with pretty visuals and some nice co op interactions.
>>
>overrated
Well it seems you have a differing opinion from the majority. It doesn't invalidate their opinion.
>>
>>338334014
I just want to understand how people think it's great. To me, it was pretty "whatever".
>>
>>338334180

It's almost like taste and opinions are subjective and people are different.
>>
>>338333446
Fuck you man this game was moving! No other game has made me shed tears like this one!
>>
>>338334270
/v/ is a hivemind, though.
>>
>>338334468

Yet most of the posts here are stating they like the game
>>
>>338333446
Different strokes, I suppose. I fully admit that the mechanics in place are very simple, and thus will not appeal to people more attuned to fast and constant inputs in games. I was affected by many small things about the game, which when added all together, made for a unique experience not found in other games. The sense of isolation in that desert is almost overwhelming, so when you first encounter another wanderer or lose the one you've been with, it evokes a kind of longing or companionship. The game succeeds at communicating a universal aspect about sharing time with another person. There is no emotes, no quick shortcuts dialogue ques. You have a bloop which you can hold down and release to let the other player know where you're at. The game has many beautiful vistas and, to me at least, it was a great pleasure to just fly around in one area with the other person for a while before moving on (There's also a neat mechanic where each player's bloops sustain your ribbon, so you can theoretically stay in the air for as long as the other person also wants to fly)

On a more personal note, I played the game a second time on the anniversary of my dad's passing, and the first player I encountered was a white robed wanderer who guided me through all the secrets the entire game. I must have involuntarily associated that player with my dad I got super fucking emotional near the end.
>>
>>338333446
Journey or Okami?
>>
>>338334461
Alright, what part did your soft nigga ass shed tears?
It was part where your dude collapses, wasn't it?
>>
>>338334270
I hate people like you. He wants to know why people think it was a good game when he didn't. Obviously it's because a change of opinion. Why can't we have discussions about games without motherfuckers like you jumping at the first chance to shame someone for wondering why the majority likes something. He even said why he didn't like it, so you can't pull that card.
>>
>>338335409
That and the whole ascending up the mountains part, although that was just tears of "holy shit this is awesome".
>>
>>338333446
Honestly the game is hit or miss. If you can get a bro to stick with you until the end on your first playthrough it will be fucking amazing, if not then I can see you not having a good time. Second playthrough or more and going alone isn't fun.
>>
It isn't a game. It's a social commentary about how loved ones are the most important thing in life. Play it again when you grow up.
>>
>>338336098
So, I REALLY should've played this when it came out, huh? I was thinking about getting it the day it came to PS4, too. Fuck.
>>338336371
>Play it again when you grow up
The game's still gonnna be even more dead than it is now, by then.
Also, who were the loved ones? They really expected me to get attached to all 2 people who I encountered for only a good 10 minutes?
>>
File: 250px_Scout_taunt_laugh.png (109 KB, 250x364) Image search: [Google]
250px_Scout_taunt_laugh.png
109 KB, 250x364
Disagree.
The game itself isn't overrated per se but I got it on release when it cost 20 dingdongs.
If I bought it today and it was 5 bucks it would feel totally worth it. Don't know what it goes for nowadays.

Music and visuals were top tier. I was fortunate enough to find someone on my first playthrough and stick through the whole thing with them.
I also marked down the first symbol thing it ever generated for me, the one that shows up when you chirp.
Every once in a while if I have an hour and a half to kill I'll do it again. It was pleasant.

>tfw white robe masterrace.
>>
>>338336605
If the game goes on sale there will most likely be a few people on, not sure how active it is now. But yeah, playing it back when it came out would have been the best time.
>>
who /flower/ here?

best game in the collectors edition desu
>>
>>338337085
Just saw it's on sale now for like $5, so now might be a good time to give it a go.
>>
The good:
>interesting and functional online multiplayer
>great art style
>general spiritual tone and message
>god tier soundtrack

The bad:
>not game-y enough for gamers
>short
>experience easily ruined by suboptimal conditions like not using headphones, having distractions, and/or a lame companion
>best played in one sitting

I get how people don't like it, but personally it changed how I look at games. Hard to explain. Very much a "wtf did I just play and why do I not want to play any game at all for the next week" feeling.

If you're not immersed in it, it's easy not to give a shit.
>>
The part where you die slowly with whichever friend you made made my eyes well up a bit the first time I played it. Then the immediate contrast and happiness when you fly through heaven with them.

I'm a complete bitch when it comes to stuff like that.
>>
>>338338701
Best feeling is when you fly through heaven and you lose your bro, but he's at the gate waiting for you. Makes you feel like you made a connection with that person without even saying a word to them. I can't think of another game that made me feel that way.
>>
>>338334617

>Different strokes

The fuck is this? Somebody on /v/ acknowledging that people have different opinions?
>>
>>338333446
Isn't that like, most games with 3D movement?
>tries to be artsy fartsy
Not really
>don't see any reason to replay it
There are collectibles, also it's just nice

I mean I feel like, by design, this game is going to be really good to some people, and really bad to other people.

I loved it, but I also loved Flower and enjoyed flOw (although flOw is kinda weird).

If you're open to it, I would recommend Flower, which is the same feel but also follows a more traditional "game" setup.

Anyway, for the people who love Journey, there is no overrating, honestly.
For the people who don't, any praise will overrate it.

It's very polarizing by its very design and there's really nothing anyone can do about that.
>>
>>338333446

What now? By that logic Super Mario World and all side-scrolling games are shit because you have to hold right for most of the game
>>
File: Muh_Dicks.jpg (139 KB, 1609x1082) Image search: [Google]
Muh_Dicks.jpg
139 KB, 1609x1082
That soundtrack is something else man. Didn't it get a fucking Grammy nomination or some crazy shit? Well deserved, but still, that's pretty bananas.
Has any other video game soundtrack been mentioned at the Grammy's ever?
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.