[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mann-Conomy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5
File: mannconomy.jpg (55 KB, 430x289) Image search: [Google]
mannconomy.jpg
55 KB, 430x289
This was the definitive moment where Valve had found their perfect business model to print money.
>>
>got drunk
>spent 10 Steam funbucks on GO keys
>all the gun hats I got are worth 10 cents
>i don't even play GO
I got swindled by the merchant.
>>
File: 1448785176890.jpg (50 KB, 499x497) Image search: [Google]
1448785176890.jpg
50 KB, 499x497
>Sony and MS can charge for online
>Nintendo can lock content behind amiibos
>but Valve adding a cosmetic store? they must surely be the devil incarnate!
>>
>>338304482
>take good games people have enjoyed for years
>absolutely destroy them and add a MUH EECAWNEMEE
TF2, CSGO, and DotA fans have every reason in the world to be pissed.
>>
Whomever bought anything in those is guilty.
>>
>>338304962
DOTA 2 cosmetics are just barely turning into the shitter. They now have consumables that let you color the river in game and it costs like 400 dollars or something to get the best one.
>>
File: you're pretty good.jpg (59 KB, 355x379) Image search: [Google]
you're pretty good.jpg
59 KB, 355x379
Why is Valve the only company that doesn't give a shit if cosmetics are blatantly based on characters from games they didn't make?
>>
>>338304482

They added more than just a store, they added a system comparable to a slot machine to exploit whales and people with gambling addictions.

It's cosmetics all the same, but it's a really dirty way to sell cosmetics by releasing them in mystery boxes that you pay to open.
>>
>>338304265
>got drunk off cheap vodka
>was f2p and spent $450 on keys
>no unusual

and that's when I stopped drinking. I also woke up covered in shitty printed dousing pages.
>>
>>338303939
>This was the definitive moment where Valve had found their perfect business model to print money
No, that was just refining their money making, real thing was way earlier, when they made Steam into a shop instead of just a client for Valve-only games, and started taking roughly a third of the price of every sold game through it.
With Steam they're actually making millions from other people's work, and just have to bother maintaining their service.
There are over 10 million people on Steam who own Skyrim, so even if you count every copy at only 20$, they made well over 50 fucking million just by selling an extremely popular game made by someone else.
>>
>>338305307

Because these items get made by freelancer people from the TF2 workshop.

Also because they're only loosely based on certain designs, so they can use the "muh inspiration" card.
>>
>>338305992
>only 20$

i bought skyrim at 3$... probably not the only one who did
>>
>>338305992

You can argue that too, but Mannconomy shaped the monetization models for both DOTA and CSGO.

Even before Mannconomy, Valve was looking for different ways to monetize their own products, which is why we got experiments like HL2: The Episodic Series and a quick sequel to L4D.
>>
>>338305190
Jesus fuck...

I'm so happy I quit playing that game after Valve started balancing it around Reddit threads.
>>
>>338305992
But that's exactly what every distributor does...
>>
>>338306731
Steam could be considered the wild success out of the big bunch of digital distributors, they established a wide platform for the PC market before anyone else did.
>>
>>338306221
>i bought skyrim at 3$... probably not the only one who did
And there are at least a few millions who bought it at 60$ or whatever was the release day price, considering how insanely hyped it was
>>338306731
Yeah but Steam turned into THE digital distributor in less then a decade, I mean just look at how many popular online PC game stores (like humble store for example) actually straight up sell Steam keys for games
>>
>>338307320

It would be any company's dream to be THE digital distributor, which is why you end up with competition. Everyone wants a piece of the pie now. Steam is a giant platform though, it's not going anywhere for a long time.
>>
>>338307787

>Made my steam account in 2007
>I was still really late to the party
>>
>>338304265

>Was high
>spend 10 bucks on a contract
>find a nice looking skin
>sell it for 50 bucks
>>
>>338308140

>Was gonna buy some keys in TF2
>but then I got high
>>
>>338306579
>after Valve started balancing it around Reddit threads.
I know we piss on that site...but I do not think it gets the amount of piss it deserves. It is like unholy mix of neogaf, tumblr and youtube, with a shitty interface. The few times I have had to recur to those faggots for information I have regret it.

People there have down syndrome, and band together on a bad idea on a snap. Especially when it comes to balance in a game or steam games. It is a fucking headache, but that is Valve fanbase now and quitting is the only winning move.
>>
>>338308114

06'er here, I have no regrets.

At least I got to see the ugly Shit Olive steam UI before they changed everything.
>>
>>338308231
Now I am playing Battleborn
and I know why
BECAUSE I GOT HIGH
BECAUSE I GOT HIGH
BECAUSE I GOT HIGH

La la la la
>>
>>338308331
>Spot the ledditor
>>
>>338305307
Because the clothing they wear do not have digital copyrights, and goes under fair use. For example the sniper's bandana might be based on both Naked Snake, which is based from the character of Escape from L.A, and the name of the item is based on Rambo.
>>
File: Deep Cover Operator.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Deep Cover Operator.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>338308802
>>
>>338308719
How could I not browse that site, I never did until it got shilled to hell here, so I checked it out for the games that never get discussed here or for Generals that have become an awful autism fest (Tf2 / FO)...and yet they manage to be worse, for example you are still more polite than the bunch of retardittors I talked to. Even the people there seem kinda conscious that their site is a fucking joke, imagine an even more jaded /v/ with edgy children screaming all over.

How is that site popular? Just how?
>>
File: regrets.png (77 KB, 961x198) Image search: [Google]
regrets.png
77 KB, 961x198
>>338308439

I lied, I do have regrets.
>>
>>338303939
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9RjDRLBWio
>>
>>338308140
DUDE
WEED
>>
>>338306731
>>338307242
And why is this a problem?

It's how almost every single industry operates
>>
>>338307787
Yeah but these days I don't think it's even possible to open a digital PC game store without basically being forced to partner up with Valve and sell Steam keys, considering a lot of games don't even offer a non-Steam downloadable version (which obviously requires a Steam key and account), and even if they did people would still rather just buy a Steam key (which is still why even if you had the same game at nearly the same price available on something like GoG, Origin and Steam, probably at least 80% of potential buyers would go for the Steam key)
>>
>>338309558

Not only that, but just the sheer numbers of people on Steam alone acts like a magnet, since you're far more likely to run into friends that use Steam.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.