[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who are some other JRPG protagonists who never go through any
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: Elma.png (187 KB, 320x619) Image search: [Google]
Elma.png
187 KB, 320x619
Who are some other JRPG protagonists who never go through any character development?
>>
You should have posted an image of the entire party.
>>
>>338299352
That's a big reason of why I dropped X. The party is just such a step down from Xenoblade.
>>
The entire P4 cast
>>
>>338299352
Some of the side characters like HB and Hope actually do have interesting character development. But yeah the main six (Elma, Lin, Doug, Irina, Gwin, and Lao) are just absolute garbage in terms of characterization and personality.
>>
>>
>>338299149
Every single JRPG protagonist to ever exist. All of them never go through any actual character development, at best, they only go through artificial character development.
>>
>>338302352
All character development in any work of fiction is by definition artificial
>>
>>338302352
Artificial character development isn't as catchy as artificial difficulty.
>>
>>338302315
Is this from Deviant Art? Vegeta would never wear non-saiyan armor.
>>
>>338299149
Squall.
>>
Why do characters need to develop? It's pretty cliche at this point. Why can't the heroes already be emotionally mature from the beginning?
>>
>>338303509
blah blah mary sue etc or something
>>
>>338303509
>>338303509
They can start off as a strong hero and still have development. Theres other ways to develop a character besides just making them stronger you fucking autist. For example a hero could start off with very strong preconceived notions regarding something and then realize he was wrong over the course of the game.
We never find out anything about Elma's motviations, her beliefs, her personal principles, why she expended so much work saving humanity in the first place, etc.
>>
>>338303949
>For example a hero could start off with very strong preconceived notions regarding something and then realize he was wrong over the course of the game
That happens in like every JRPG since the 2000s, it's fucking dull

Most JRPGs just reel off storytelling cliches over and over and over again. You see practically the same dialogue and scenes repeated in different games because a 'professional' writer has to follow the rulebook to the letter

If a JRPG doesn't have an interesting game system I just won't play it. People that play games for the narrative must be masochists, I just can't do it. I just want fun games I can interact with and has nice aesthetics and maybe some slightly interesting characters - but keep that last one as a lower priority

>>338303467
This is trolling but still, I liked FF8 in that it didn't get bogged down in everyone's tragic past. Aside from the past they shared and forgot, most of them had regular childhoods despite the setting. They all have their own personalities and motivations without it being annoying. Zell admires Squall and his grandfather and wants to become a brave soldier, Irvine falters only when asked to shoot the only mother figure in his life, Quistis wants to share closer relationships with others because she was a child prodigy but is afraid, Selphie fears being unhappy because of being an orphan, Rinoa is a stubborn teenager rebelling against her father who comes to respect others who get her out of the danger she gets herself into

The characters flesh out the rest of the quirks as the story goes along. It's so much more interesting than waaaaah muh tragedy
>>
Elma is legitimately one of the worst lead characters I've seen in any game. Practically the entire story revolves around her, yet she has the personality of a brick wall and is just so fucking boring. We don't even learn her motivations for saving humanity.
>>
File: Yuri_Lowell.jpg (254 KB, 872x1580) Image search: [Google]
Yuri_Lowell.jpg
254 KB, 872x1580
>>
>>338301039
>RYNE TIME!
>MUH MONADO!
>I'LL KILL YOU!
Please both games had their character development dumped right at the end.
>>
>>338307613
fucking space blobs detracting from the plot
>>
>>338303949
Nigga, in every creative field they tell you the same thing. If you can think its been done.
>>
>>338307660
>both games had their character development dumped right at the end.
You're giving X too much credit. Literally none of the main characters go through any sort of development, nor do we ever learn about their motivations and most of their personalities are borderline nonexistent.
>>
>>338302352

it bothers me about japanese games / cartoons when people say things only are not filler / not development unless it's extremely forced and over the top

probably played it in english too
>>
>>338308376
He's probably the type of person who plays shit like Dragon Age and Watch Dogs
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.