[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is this considered the best Civ game?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: 256px-CivIVboxshot.jpg (33 KB, 256x364) Image search: [Google]
256px-CivIVboxshot.jpg
33 KB, 256x364
Why is this considered the best Civ game?
>>
>>338286147
Because it's the last non-shit one.
>>
>>338286147
It isn't. Civ 5 with all expansions is the best civ game.
>>
>>338286147
Because people who said that are contrarian hipsters that doesn't like anything new/popular. Just see, once Civ 6 comes out everyone will gushes about civ V like they do civ IV now.
Civ V is a perfect middle ground of complexity and simplicity. It's easy to start and very hard and rewarding to master.
>>
>>338286834

Civ 4 + expansions = GOTY

Civ 4 + expansions + mods (FFH, RoM) = GOAT

Seriously though, I haven't checked in a while. Does Civ 5 have mods that change the entire game?
>>
>>338287307

1UPT a shit. Doomstacks weren't great either, but at least the AI used them better than carpets of doom.
>>
File: Untitled.png (466 KB, 854x449) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
466 KB, 854x449
Is this the most emotionally powerful scene in any Civ opening?
>>
I wanted to play a Civ game after seeing threads on /v/ and I decided to buy the more recent one that wasn't the space one.
I thought it was IV, forgot there was a V.

So anyways, considering I've only played IV, is V worth picking up to try out or are they so similar that it'd be a waste of dosh?
>>
>>338289018
I've only played V and it sucks
>>
>>338286147
I dont know, I thought Civ 5 was better but Civ 4 is still great
>>
>>338287627
>1UPT a shit

This. Late game warring in civ 5 makes me want to gouge my eyes out. Also science victory is too strong in V and not easily stopped. At least in IV you had other ways.
>>
>>338287416
>Does Civ 5 have mods that change the entire game?
Community Balance Patch basically rebalances the whole game and fixes the crap AI. Most notably it unfucks the happiness system.
>>
>>338289532
Any reason why or just shitposting?
Serious question.
>>
>>338286147
But Civ 2 is the best Civ game.
Basic bitches just can't handle the stacks.
>>
Sid Meiers Civilization: Beyond Earth is the best game in the series.
>>
1UPT has fundamentally broken the game in many ways. You could write a doctors thesis on it.

Civ 4 is by far the best civ game, many playstyles are viable and expansion is perfectly balanced. Its a personal thing but I prefer its bright and realistic visuals to the dark pastel shit and F2P mobile game styles of 5 and 6
>>
>>338286147

Because it has Fall from Heaven 2

The best fantasy TBS of all time is a civ mod.
>>
What's your favorite to play? Mine is The Manivilazation
>>
>>338286834

Civ5's expansions don't remove 1UPT.
>>
>>338289871

He's talking about total conversion mods, not a rebalance of the base game.

You should have assumed that considering he brought up FFH.
>>
>>338291564
This. Fall from heaven 2 had more depth and replay value than the entire rest of the civ franchise combined.
>>
I myself dislike 1UPT, but I find it odd that it's such a sticking point. There are plenty of other reasons why I prefer 4 to 5, but it's like that's the only one that's talked about
>>
>>338289018

It does a few things better, like cultural victory is more exciting but everything else is a broken, unfun mess. City states, 1 UPT, ideologies, religion, research and culture prices scaling off cities, global happiness, the list just goes on.

It boggled my mind how the winning strategy is to build a 4-5 city core, assemble a 8-10 unit army and go conquer the world. Oh wait, not conquer because you wont keep anything, silly. You burn everything down because it doesnt worth to keep capitals with 3-4 wonders in them. There is literally zero reason to expand, militarily or otherwise, conflicts never develop over land but because the AI is an unpredictable backstabbing asshole who would rather bumrush you with archers rather than expanding into the 10 city peninsula it has for itself. By the time you launch your space programme there are vast swathes of lush land unclaimed by anyone unless you make the map cramped on purpose so you might as well just stick to war anyway You just keep going around and massacre the retarded AI with artillery and ranged attacks and achieve 1-100 kill ratios. The mind fucking boggles.the AI literally cant play its own game. It will keep sending units endlessly into chokepoints and you can always set up a chokepoint because maps are WAY too cramped. Look at Panzer General or any other hex based wargame. You have SO MUCH ROOM to manouvre around, set up defensive lines, strategic thrusts and the like. Not here, an army larger than 8-10 is absolutely useless cause there is no space to deploy them. Your glorious, world conquering army will consist less units than you had in bronze age in 4. This also means production was globally dialed back and unit prices raised(it ends in carpet of doom anyway) which makes the game a boring mashing of "next turn"

>>338291564

This. FFH is great. I keep using their multiplayer writeups on realmsbeyond and they are fun as fuck. Cavemen to Cosmos is great too if you like a dash of autism.
>>
>>338292519

Because it fundamentally breaks the game, war, production, maps, the retard AI etc. all had to be tailored about it,
>>
I think it has the best gameplay, except for combat. The Culture, borders, and resource system is improved and cleaned up from 3, the Civics system gives an interesting way to customize your civilization, and the aesthetics were solid (Leonard Nimoy's narration was great).

Also, while Beyond the Sword Expansion is better, I still think the vanilla Civ 4 release is the best vanilla Civ release since 2. (3 vanilla was garbage, and V wasn't good until expansions).
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.