[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Edmund McMillen on dataminers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 212
Thread images: 26
File: mcmillen.jpg (48 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
mcmillen.jpg
48 KB, 1280x720
>They swallowed a hundred dollar steak in one bite. It's true. They couldn't resist it, they had to break it apart. And even though people were actively working on some of the biggest secrets that would have taken awhile to unfold, they said "NOOOOO! I WANT IT ALL NOW!"
>It's disheartening. It sucks because we're gonna start working on an expansion soon, but we sure as hell aren't gonna fucking take all the time that it took - especially with Simon, who tried his best to really bury the stuff so it would deter people from doing this, but all they see is a challenge, so they're going to dive right in and do it anyway. I can say right now that I don't think the expansion is going to feature any buried secrets that anybody will care about.
>Nobody likes to wait anymore. They like to eat it now!
Is he right?
>>
>>338267527
Why not just patch in new content in a steady stream?
>>
Why talk about something that happened over a year ago?

>>338267631
He did this for the expansion. It was awful.
>>
>>338267527
What exactly is he talking about?
>>
>>338267527
Yes, when I order a hamburger I tend to want the whole hamburger and not 3/4th of a hamburger today and 1/4th a week later.
>>
If only he had gotten this butthurt when people reported the massive security risk in the Super Meatboy leaderboards that eventually led to the entire game being broken because he never bothered fixing it
>>
>>338267631
Makes QA take up a lot more time.
>>
>>338267743
He hid in a secret community puzzle to unlock a hidden character, The Lost. Of course, since he tied Steam Achievements to it, everyone knew it was there and people found out how to unlock it within a few days.
>>
>>338267743
People using tricks like examining the source code of a game to discover hidden secrets.
>>
>When you're so fat you look at a videogame and see food
>>
File: perfect fit.gif (2 MB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
perfect fit.gif
2 MB, 400x400
Why does he actually care? The IWHBYD skull in halo 3 was so weirdly convoluted we needed people to dump the game and read the code to figure out the trigger. Don't worry if the community finds your secrets lightning fast.

As he says, it's like being a chef at a restaurant and cooking a meal for a customer and then being disappointed when they eat it too fast. They're enjoying the game just teh same as anyone, they just want shit now.

You could do what Bungie did to Destiny and gut the entire game of pretty much any content at launch and then eke out meagre amounts to the community over an excruciatingly long time and now we're at the point where they seemingly aren't developing any more expansions and all effort is going to Destiny 2, leaving fans high and dry of any meaningful content.

That's a shit way to go about it, because you hit ceiling then stop playing, then there's new content and you hit the ceiling again. If you let people go nuts and find everything from day 1, that's good, it shows people like the game and are playing it. Isn't that the point of being a hipster developer? people liking your game?
What the hell does he even want?
>>
>>338267527
I thought food analogies were /v/'s shtick.
>>
>>338267527

Edmund has always been "fat Phil Fish"
>>
>>338268156
He did that in the expansion, and it was awful. The game straight up was missing half its items on day 1, though he claimed this was a bug.
>>
File: 1455578468844.png (85 KB, 1157x867) Image search: [Google]
1455578468844.png
85 KB, 1157x867
>people didn't care about my rusemaster meme riddles on twitter
>another Isaac character equates to a $100 meal
Pretentious indie devs need to leave the business already. You made a flash game about a naked kid pooping, calm down.
>>
>>338267527
I don't get it, looks more like a lot of hyperbole
>>
>>338267527
I liked it when he publicly derided a Japanese guy asking a question while simultaneously making a fortune out of bastardization of ye olde Zelda elements.

Another nincompoop making a fortune riding an eceleb wave of free marketing.
>>
He is right, tho. There are no more secrets and mysteries in games because you can Google it and find them a day or two after release.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-09-11-06-55.png (900 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-09-11-06-55.png
900 KB, 1080x1920
>food analogy
>>
>>338268501
Oh and that panel was hilarious

Phil Fish - stole other person's work for Fez, every single element of it wasn't his

McMillen - only good game was made by Refenes

Blow - princess is another castle and you're bad and also a nuclear bomb and let's pretend that this is a spiritual successor to Myst even though I took other person's mobile game puzzle mechanics to 'design' it

What a trio of shitheads, forgot if anyone else was there

Truly there is nothing worse than Western indie scene
>>
File: Minebombers.png (42 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Minebombers.png
42 KB, 640x480
>>338268724
I miss the 90's indie scene
>>
Edmund huffs farts
>>
>>338268724
Nailed it but I wouldn't go so far as to say all of the Western scene is a cancerous bunch of socia media shitstirrers like them.

The Devolver team and Hopoo are pretty cool. Also you forgot Toby Fox on your list of people who need to be buried in hot sand.
>>
>>338269059
What did Toby Fox actually do? As a dev, he hasn't made any outrageous statements.
>>
>>338267631
That's basically what he did for Afterbirth.
>>
>>338269059
I have no idea about Undertale, it's obviously another shitty game in every possible way and doesn't quite reach the lofty heights of average NES games but I doubt he disparages his influences and things he copied.

Risk of Rain was alright, not a good game but a good atmosphere, I played it because of it, felt alien.

I have no idea what Devolver does, I know they publish some stuff like Hotline Miami which is another ripoff of Japanese gameplay. Dennaton I believe the dev team is called, I remember them ruining every credibility with HM2 and even tried to viral it on /v/ through "leaked gameplay stream". I know because I was the one that the fucker actually replied to when he started the "leak".
>>
>>338269143
Some would argue that he scammed the people that supported him on Kickstarter.
Also he's responsible for the most overrated piece of shit in recent memory.
>>
>>338269369
That last part's not his fault. That's just the awful fanbase.
>>
>>338269059
Yeah, I shouldn't have implied the overall scene, Zachtronics and Daniel Remar are among my favourite developers.
>>
>>338267527
dont release on pc if you dont want to get datamined
>>
>>338267761
>food analogies
>>
>>338267527
datamining and minmaxing are the killers of fun
you know its true
they took everything mystical and secretive about wow away
>>
>>338268205

Nah chill

Edward is a pretty great game who just wants to make games

Phil Phish is stuck up snob who wants things to revolve around him
>>
File: patrick.jpg (41 KB, 354x242) Image search: [Google]
patrick.jpg
41 KB, 354x242
>>338269551
>Edward is a pretty great game who just wants to make games
>>
>>338269369
Scammed in what way?
>>
>>338269538
That would be the public test realm
>>
File: 1463312135474.png (361 KB, 473x675) Image search: [Google]
1463312135474.png
361 KB, 473x675
The most important question is:

How do we stop Datamining?
>>
>>338269645
I'm assuming he means So Sorry.
>>
>>338269059

Toby did absolutely nothing wrong

He simply made a game, and the community turned it into what it is
>>
>>338267527
I like Edmund's games, but he's always been a bit of a bitch.
>>
Just fuck it and don't bother making it convoluted and secretive

You want a secret? Put it under hard shit to do

Like I would a make secret level only available after getting all gold medals in a bunch of minigames or something

Also don't bother putting an achievement for the actual secret, for the accomplishment? Sure, but not the secret
>>
>>338269758
We make games so inefficient they can only be run on supercomputers, then we bring back OnLive to stream them. RIP datamining.
>>
>>338268156
>it's like being a chef at a restaurant
Shitty metaphor. The kitchen only cares about the dish. Front end is paid to care about the customer.

He's upset for the reason you made though. He has a different expectation than the people datamining. He wanted a something with life in it, he wanted to recapture the feeling of vanilla isaac and wrath. His expectations are faulty, but it doesn't make him wrong for wanting something.
>>
>>338269782

So Sorry was one dudes autism getting in the way when offered multiple solutions out of potential problems. Considering /v/ were the ones that went after Samael in the beginning it's funny /v/ is trying to rationalize its behavior in favor of shitting on Undertale.
>>
>>338269538

This. Killed an entire genre (MMOs). Datamining patches before they're even released, then all info put on a wiki site. Took all the fun elements of exploration and teamwork and threw up all over it. Sad!
>>
>>338269847

>defending data mining
>>
No he's not, because he's only thinking of the people who do this.

For every person who datamines for secrets or look up others' results online, there are 10 who either don't think about it, or consciously refrain for their own enjoyment.
Different people have different preferences and will do different things.

Datamining aside, it's already known that if you put a really obscure secret in a game, the vast majority of players won't find it on their own, the way they're meant to. So developers really shouldn't be putting a lot of effort into such things to begin with unless its for the sake of the very few who will.
>>
>>338270170
high energy post
>>
>>338269847
He's not really a bitch, he'st just a traumatized child. Which may be worst.
>>
>>338270209

This

It shouldn't be convoluted

Do it simple and give it as reward for good players who did an achievement or something
>>
>>338267901
>since he tied Steam Achievements to it
So what the fuck is he bitching about? It wasn't hidden or buried or anything, is he fuckin serious?

Christ, even Undertale had anti-tampering shit included and Toby himself admitted he doesn't know shit about coding. Pretty sure he even included a note about how he knew people would mine but politely asking not to spoil it for others.

Even going so far as to have an unused Sans song as a red herring to make Megalovania more surprising.
>>
Dataminers ruined the Ryu and Roy reveal

To be fair though, it WAS Nintendo's fault for putting the Info in the latest patch but still
>>
>It's a food ANALogies episode on /v/
>>
>>338269498
To be fair, Edmund started with his hundred dollar steak.
>>
>>338267761
I too eat my whole hamburger in one bite. Thay might also be why I look like a bloated whale
>>
the age of secrets is over
>>
>>338267527
He is right although he tied Steam shit to The Lost so it was not a secret at all.

The thing he's explaining was also a major problem with Smash4, I felt. Cloud is the only Smash character in fucking history I can recall where they were announced on the creator's terms with no leaks.
>>
>>338269354
Personally I love Risk of Rain and Deadbolt is pretty cool too (newer game by Hopoo).

Devolver is more or less an indie publisher which sounds like an oxymoron but they do good to get smaller titles some spotlight.

>another ripoff of Japanese gameplay
First I'm hearing of this, is it a blatant ripoff or is that hyperbole?
>>
>>338270404
He had an achievement called "The Lost" with description ???, as well a bunch of other achievements with ??? as the description, which you got through playing as him. It was very very obvious there was a secret there, it only took a little datamining for people ot actually find it. It was a little encrypted, but nothing that can't be overcome easily.
>>
Dataminers are fine, but it does come off as being a bunch of pricks leaking shit early. They are good for finding some cool stuff after the game is out which leads to more discussions. It's 50/50
>>
>>338270621
yeah see, that's not a secret in my eyes.

a secret would be if there was no indication it was there until someone found it naturally.
>>
I'm still disgusted by how much of a shitshow Afterbirth was. The name was really the most appropriate thing it could have possible have been named.

Fuck ARG bullshit, fuck "indie developers" and fuck retards like Shitmillen.
>>
>>338270587
I didn't like Deadbolt at all, it had very poor pacing and AI.

It's not blatant ripoff because the pacing and atmosphere is better in HM but the idea is completely lifted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vfhy5WzD40g
>>
File: 1463362998450.png (245 KB, 500x381) Image search: [Google]
1463362998450.png
245 KB, 500x381
>>338270504
There was never an age of secrets
Wolfestein 3D had a secret texture at the end of an extremely convoluted secret maze that prompted players to call ID with a secret passphrase.
Data miners found this shortly after release and ID cancelled the contest.
>>
>>338270621
>>338270404
I don't think he's upset about people knowing about the lost. He's upset that people discovered how to unlock it through the datamining. It's a very specific series of steps that span across multiple runs.
>>
>>338270812
then he shouldn't have added steam cheevos telling people it was there
>>
>>338269847
He is less of a bitch than many other indie devs. An he loathes them and despises 'the scene', which I can sympathize with. A shame this caused a fall out with Danny Baranowski.

The only time he was blatantly shitty was the 109 thing.
>>
>>338270809
>There was never an age of secrets
You're too young for this board. You need to go back.
>>
>>338268724
>Truly there is nothing worse than Western indie scene
What about indie devs that keep out of the spotlight?
>>
>>338270887
I don't know one way or the other, but I assume the cheevo was put there as a carrot on a stick. It's really was quite a bitch to unlock The Lost, even knowing the steps. If no one datamined and there was no achievement, I doubt people would have found it before he did the welfare dlc that made it easy to unlock.
>>
The best part about this is that people knew there was some kind of secret going on and were about to solve it.

When it was almost solved someone/some people datamined the answer and this triggered Edmund to no end.
>>
>>338271070
>>338269462
>>
>>338268724
McMillen is not a part of the scene, he hates those garbage hipsters.
>>
>>338271135
Nah, people were on their way to unocking it. They'd found some of the puzzle pieces. If people hadn't datamined it, they would've completed the puzzle within a week.
>>
>>338269551
Eggmund McMuffin has been a cunt for a while now
>>
>>338270583
I don't recall Corrin or Bayonetta being leaked.

I wish Corrin was leaked though, that way I wouldn't have been extremely pissed off when they started the Direct with her trailer.
>>
>>338271179
Video proof says otherwise
>>
>>338271232
Try a couple of days if not hours, people were incredibly close to solving it.
>>
>>338271135
>I doubt people would have found it before he did the welfare dlc that made it easy to unlock.
Then that's a good fucking secret, that's what a game secret is SUPPOSED TO BE!

If he was just going to patch in an EZ route to getting the same reward, and added cheevos and shit for it, that ain't no fucking secret
>>
>>338267527
I have no idea who that is or what game he's talking about.

Therehave always been people like that though. The kind of people that have to tell spoilers the second they find out. Let them, who cares? If this literally who thinks every gamer is like that he's a fucking idiot. I never know more than a few basics about most games. DaS3 I went in having seen one trailer. Period. I didn't even do that much for Doom or Uncharted 4 because I knew I wanted them anyway.

But whatever. If people want to bask in the sour milk, let them. It's not like I have any idea what game this guy made anyway.
>>
>>338270583
>Cloud is the only Smash character in fucking history I can recall where they were announced on the creator's terms with no leaks.
underaged confirmed
>>
>>338271295
well SUPPOSEDLY bayonetta was #1 in EU and top 5 in US so there was precedent...

fuck corrin though
>>
>>338267527
I lost a lot of respect for him after Afterbirth. He can go fuck himself.
>>
>>338271325
>Then that's a good fucking secret, that's what a game secret is SUPPOSED TO BE!
Impossible to find?
>>
>>338271315
What proof?
IIRC, pretty recently he slammed the scene again, the way the jury votes for winners in indie dev contests.
>>
>>338271382
Uh, no? I was here for Japan Time and the entire roster was leaked before Brawl came out, same with Smash4, same with Roy and Ryu
>>
>>338267527
>Randomly generated games

There's your fucking problem. This guy makes games where you would have to play through it hundreds of thousands of times to experience everything.
>>
Wasn't there a game where the "super secret hidden password" was a complaint against data mining? I know there was one, can't remember what game.
>>
>>338271456
Yeah, same, he made a lot of shitty moves, and so many of Afterbirth's decisions are just so blatantly trying to fuck over the player, so that they all conform to Ed's vision of the game.
>>
>>338271456
Afterbirth really was a let down. Does anyone know if that Legend of Bumbo stuff is just trolling or legit the next game? Bumbo was actually one of the few additions I enjoyed. Pay for his kid's college and he fucks some niggas up.
>>
>>338271365

He included a character in BoI:Reborn called The Lost who was supposed to be found out by using cryptic clues but instead the dataminers dug out info about him and how to unlock him from the game files
>>
>>338271365
>It's not like I have any idea what game this guy made anyway.
Why are you so proud of your embarrassing ignorance?
>>
>>338267527
>Certain people play a certain way so we're going to fuck over the people who actually do like to explore by way of revenge

?????
>>
>>338271602
It's a real thing, some kind of puzzle game he's working on besides Afterbirth+.

I'm still gonna buy Afterbirth+, I want to fix this game my goddamn self.
>>
He's a fucking jackass and taking anything he says as "smart" is even more retarded than he is.
>>
>>338270583

How can you forget the glorious day of July 14 2014

Where Robin and Lucina were revealed and Chrom fags got blown the fuck out
>>
>>338267527
edmund mc who
>>
>>338268156
Well if the chef hid a bit of flavouring in a burger that he thought the person would like only to see it just be chomped through then i'd imagine that chef would be a bit miffed.
>>
>>338271562
>I hate replayability: the post.
>>
>>338271472
It wasn't impossible, people were already figuring it out naturally, the way a secret is supposed to be found.

But as a general rule? Yes, if you are this buttpained about people mining a secret, maybe don't have a bunch of Steam cheevos tied to it, because anything that tempts dataminers will be found
>>
>>338271724

The guy who made a bunch of new grounds games and then a full actual game with Super Meat Boy

No not the guy who made Alien Homid
>>
>>338271602
Yep, Bumbo is a legit game he's making

So is Time Fcuk 2
>>
>>338271770
Fuck off, edbighead mcdonald.
>>
>>338271770
>replayability
>the same game with slightly different rooms and weapons each time, walling content behind 100s of hours of repetitive gameplay
Stop eating shit m8
>>
>>338271547
What about 64? Checkmate.
>>
>>338271586
>so blatantly trying to fuck over the player
I don't mind being fucked over if its fun. But there's nothing fun about Curse of the Maze. Outside of devil deals, Curse of the Unknown ruins the game. I don't mind additional risks when taking items, but to take away all agency so that knowledge and experience no longer matters? Fuck that. And fuck Retrovision.
>>
>>338271787
>because anything that tempts dataminers will be found
Is that a threat, dude?
>>
>>338268724
Castle crasher was a fun beat em up with a bit of replayability, risk of rain is a game that still has people hosting servers on /v, rocket league's a fun video gme that people liked, spelunky is a wuality game that uses random generation to imitate traditional level design while staying replayable, Subnautica explores interesting and unique settings, Terraria has so much to do it's insane
Arguing that a single place is better at making video games is cherry picking at worst and silly at best.
>>
>>338271602
>Pay for his kid's college and he fucks some niggas up
Kek
>>
File: 59c.png (212 KB, 625x790) Image search: [Google]
59c.png
212 KB, 625x790
Post yfw you realise The Lost is a loss reference.
>>
>>338271976
The internet wasn't really much of a 'thing' when Melee and 64 came out. I don't know where those leaks would even be posted
>>
What I don't get is when a dev wants obscure hidden shit in their game and don't want dataminers ruining it, why don't they just have the game create a log of pretty much everything you did and send that to a server, then the server checks for various triggers and sends back a signal to unlock shit. Then the files the player have will literally only contain "Unlock X if server says so" triggers so they won't be able to datamine what actually unlocks it. They could even go a step further and have the shit download from the server as it unlocks so that dataminers can't even search for the stuff that gets unlocked. Sure they could probably hack the log itself and see what's getting sent but there really wouldn't be much of a way to figure out what actions are gonna trigger things and what aren't.
>>
>>338272012
Those curses already existed, but yeah, the pills are an example. So many of the pils do nothing but fuck the player over. What's fun about Retro Vision? There's no interactivity there, it's just mildly annoying. And there's some pills you actually have to UNLOCK, even though they're awful.

Not to mention the health scaling on The Hush and Ultra Greed, and nerfing Mega Blast, the item you get for GETTING EVERY SINGLE OTHER UNLOCK, nerfing Krampus' Head even though it was already pretty bad, and removing pointless but fun interactions like looping the chest with Undefined.

At least he made up for it a bit by buffing some trash tier items like Shoop Da Whoop and Crack the Skies.
>>
>>338269758
By not caring about it.

All this shit hes talking about I know nothing about because I don't actively go and look for it.

Hes being a whiny cunt about something arbitrary. Like Sakurai was with Brawl and SSE
>>
Lets see
>play 5,000 hours to see if a RNG game has more to see
Or
>read a dataminers report

Hmmm I wonder which I should pick
>>
>>338271943
You can stop after you beat the game once mate, you are the master of your own destiny
>>
I hate tyrone so goddamn much
>>
>>338268156
I still don't get what the hell IWBYD did when activated
>>
>>338272169
Ok so you admit you were incorrect. I accept your apology.
>>
>>338272202
I'm not your mate, buddy
>>
>>338272295
I'm not your buddy, pal.
>>
>>338268156
>>338267527
It's the latest step in a growing cultural difference. The current generation of devs grew up without an internet to look up codes on, without asynchronous services to view TV shows on at their whim, and having to wait a year or more for movies to make it to home media. Waiting offered time for speculation and hype, making you invest more of yourself into the activity and growing a sort of relationship with it, and they just want to pass that on.

...just like generations before them wanted to pass on appreciation of their favorite black and white movies, novels, etc. If course, if they had access to full seasons of TV at a time and could know everything about a new game at a moment's notice it's not like they wouldn't have gone for it, but those weren't the truths of the time so those weren't the values they developed.
>>
>>338272169
Geocities regularly got shit around 64

>melee

You trolling
>>
>>338272186
>Those curses already existed
My memory might be fucking me but I thought the only curses in the game prior to afterbirth were the XL floor and the no map curses.

I think another problem was the team started balancing for greed mode. The lilith nerf was heavy.
>>
>>338267527
give source
>>
>>338272284
I Wouldve Been Your Daddy just adds in extra dialogue. People figured this out within the first two weeks and were correct despite being unsure for years to come
>>
>>338272352
I'm not your mate, fag.
>>
>>338272284
The skull unlocked extra voice lines and made comedic voice lines more frequent
>>
>>338272352
I'm not your pal, mate
>>
>>338272437
Nah dog, you're thinking of Vanilla. All the other curses were introduced in Rebirth, not Afterbirth.
>>
>>338270504
>the age of secrets on pc is over.
fixed.
>>
>>338272449
>fat fuck bawws that people datamine
>adds in something that people wouldn't have really figured out without doing so and does pretty much nothing
If you're going to bitch about datamining, then at least have something worth doing it for.
>>
>>338270170
That is all fine until third party addons you could run in/over the game let you have easy access to information. Going up on a forums reading quest shit or loot tables vs a pre-wiki site same shit

When you would have all the steps listed and arrows pointing where to go and how far, that was way too much
>>
>>338272623
Edmund McMullin didn't make halo 3 you fucking dumbass
>>
>>338267761
I bet you eat french fries off the tray before your burger arrives.
>>
>>338272758
Fuck, I didn't fully follow the quote chain and read all of the posts.
Oh well.
>>
File: 1392060007000.png (9 KB, 146x152) Image search: [Google]
1392060007000.png
9 KB, 146x152
>>338272590
>he thinks console games cant be datamined
>>
>>338270587
I would play the fuck out of a Hotline Tokyo.
>>
>Edmund literally so butthurt about data miners that he makes his game less fun
>>
>>338272782
That's an alpha, dumpass.
>>
>>338269497
Datamining is just as bad on Consoles

Pokemon has been fucked harder than WoW by it
>>
>>338273102
This. I think that was one of the big reasons they do simultaneous worldwide releases now. Being surprised by some of the new Pokemon in XY while I was playing it was a nice change of pace even if the majority of the game was underwhelming.
>>
>>338273313
Worldwide releases are done because they can. Before, it wasn't financially possible to do worldwide releases because you needed the dev team working on something else while localization worked on something else. Also, its strange to think of but shipping is something to consider too. Los Angeles dockworkers went on strike one time and had it so RE2 and I think a Sonic title could not ship. Pissed the japs right off.

Nowadays the interesting thing to see is JP release first as an incentive for JP market to buy the game. They're in tough straits economically and the West has been influencing heavily the JP development environment. Being an 11 must be suffering.
>>
>>338271714
This was when the hype train crashed into a ditch for me desu senpai
>>
>>338272123
>yfw this comic isn't relevant anymore

thanks Ed
>>
>>338269758
I dunno, could you write all the code with a cipher? It wouldn't stop them looking at content files like materials and what not.
>>
Afterbirth still pisses me off so much, but nothing pisses me off more than the idiots defending Ed and Tyrone when we have PROOF that they were deliberately withholding content
>>
>>338274014
Even if they could, they still have to store the deciphering mechanism somewhere.
>>
File: 1352747610227.png (321 KB, 645x552) Image search: [Google]
1352747610227.png
321 KB, 645x552
>but all they see is a challenge

Make up your mind, Edmund. You encourage them in the first place. The entire game is being treated as a challenge, but the moment someones goes a step deeper, it suddenly hurts your feelings?

>Nobody likes to wait anymore. They like to eat now!
Yeah of course. Who the fuck orders a steak and lets it sit for 10 hours on the plate before eating it, you moron?

The dataminers are such an incredibly small part of the community. Any player that WANTS to wait can do it. Dataminers are not coming to your house and forcing those secrets down your throat. What are you even trying to say Edmund? That Dataminers have the wrong fun?

Seriously, because of dumb horseshit like this you ruined a great game for me. I expected to put another 100 hours into Isaac, but I dropped it after like 6 hours. The completely idiocy that was displayed with that DLC was staggering.

I actually thought you were a cool developer. But apparently it's more important to you that the players have YOUR type of fun, and no other fun is allowed.
>>
>>338274014
>>338274146
The only factor is time. As long as the data exists, no amount of obfuscation will prevent its discovery.
>>
>>338274115
Wait what? What content did they withhold? I recently got Afterbirth on the PS4 and avoided all spoilers on PC, so I have no idea what's going on with that.
>>
>>338274308
A third of the items were gone for no real reason. They later claimed it was a bug. I'm not sure if that's an incredibly blatant lie, or incredibly awful bug testing (seriously, you could even see they weren't in the item catalog) but it's apalling either way.
>>
>>338274308
>no mods for Afterbirth+

I'm so sorry
>>
>>338274381
What the hell. That does sound shady as fuck, what were they thinking?
>>
>>338274271
I posted what I think would be a viable solution here:
>>338272176

But maybe it's something smaller devs wouldn't be able to afford or something.
>>
>>338274308
like half the new items and the new character

they claimed it was a post-DLC free content, content was already in the game, just locked behind shit
>>
>>338274396
I know. I went through the arduous task of unlocking everything on the Lost so I sure as hell am not moving to PC and do all that again.
>>
>>338274520
The new character was never locked, and the dev team never said it was post-DLC new content. They said it was a bug.
>>
>>338274497
The problem with that is it makes the game online only. You could never play it without an internet connection, or it would inherently be missing content due to a lack of internet.
>>
>>338274545
you could just download a save dumbass
>>
>>338274308
http://kotaku.com/the-binding-of-isaacs-new-secrets-sound-completely-nuts-1740324627

Pretty good explanation.
>>
>>338272176
Incredibly easy to walk around.
If all you need to do is to send the server a log, just fake the log. You don't even need to know what's in the log, just bruteforce it.
>>
>>338274585
Either Edmund or Tyrone said the Keeper was never part of Afterbirth and was free additional content, the fucking liars
>>
>>338274614
http://archive.is/tXWdP for those who don't want to give them money
>>
>>338274597
You can do that legit? Well then. I might reconsider that PC version.
>>
>>338274748
Oh, you meant the keeper, not Lilith.

That is true though, most of the Keeper was patched in, which is to say his sprite and his unique mechanic.
>>
File: 1446399354555.png (181 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
1446399354555.png
181 KB, 512x512
Anyone else completely done with Edmund and Issac after that shitshow of a DLC?
>>
Wouldn't have happened if he released it on console and then PC months later
>>
>>338267527
>People wanted the content that they paid for? Holy shit, what a surprise, I thought it's much better for them to pay for all at once while I drip-feed them.

Fuck this pretentious asshole.
>>
>>338274889
but they're claiming he wasn't meant to be in at all, when he fucking unlocks and character data were already in the game

>>338274937
I'm still getting Afterbirth+ but I'm pissed about it. Definitely never buying any other Edmund shit on day one
>>
>>338274937
Nope, I want the sweet mod tools so I can fix his incompetence. Sorry.
>>
I don't get his point, how many people would've even found how to unlock the lost without using a wiki after it was discovered
did he expect everyone to jump through his ridiculous hoops to unlock the extra content
>>
>>338267527
I have to agree on this one,dataminers ruin the fun of secrets
>>
File: xd so fahnny.png (44 KB, 602x309) Image search: [Google]
xd so fahnny.png
44 KB, 602x309
Edmund is such a baby these days
>>
How about you finish Mewgenics first you fat fuck.
>>
>>338275126
He wanted a community effort to unlock it, at which point he wanted it to be spread around. He designed the Lost Puzzle so that it was nearly impossible to do on your own due to the randomness and time required.

There was actually a community effort going on, and they were pretty close to finding the truth, but then the dataminers took the easy way out and the people trying to solve the puzzle gave up.
>>
File: until I nerf it ;).png (8 KB, 481x62) Image search: [Google]
until I nerf it ;).png
8 KB, 481x62
>>
>>338275242
isn't he just poking fun at himself?
>>
>>338275336
but Cambion Conception wasn't nerfed
>>
File: 1391880550189.png (182 KB, 500x371) Image search: [Google]
1391880550189.png
182 KB, 500x371
I think it's incredibly hilarious how upset Edmund and Tyrone were over The Lost, when the community was 1 day away of figuring it out the legit way anyway.

If there is anyone they should be angry about, then it's themselves for not hiding that shit better.
>>
Even if they don't datamine some sperg will figure it out and post it on lebbit and 99% of people will copy how to do it because it's always such a ridiculously obscure secret and the logic on how to discover it makes no sense.
>>
>>338275294
I feel like a secret should be something you can find out on your own, I don't want to go to twitch or wherever to find out how to unlock a character
>>
>>338275351
in the most cunty way possible is the point

like "haha fuckers how dare you get upset that you didn't get all the content you paid for! I'll show you!"
>>
>>338275410
They wanted the community to figure it out together, it was basically impossible to do alone.

You had to die in a specific place holding a specific trinket, and then you'd see a puzzle piece instead of your normal death notification. Someone noticed this almost immediately, at which point all of Reddit started looking for that trinket to die in that place. They'd gathered a decent amount of puzzles, which would reveal the ways you'd need to die as shown in >>338272123 to unlock the Lost

>>338275519
Stop being entitled and eat my steak
>>
File: 1447634705710.jpg (133 KB, 815x1000) Image search: [Google]
1447634705710.jpg
133 KB, 815x1000
>>338275389
no but her "mysterious box" sure was because it was too fun
>>
>>338275617
I'd open Lilith's mysterious box.
>>
File: 120 new items.png (21 KB, 570x159) Image search: [Google]
120 new items.png
21 KB, 570x159
>>338274585
>>338274748
>>338274889
>>
>>338275701
The Keeper wasn't advertised though, the description only said 1 new character. His items also go past the advertised item amount.
>>
>>338267527
Boo. Hoo.
>>
>>338275779
it was in the game

he can lie all he wants, but almost all of the Keeper stuff was in the game and was intended to be, as you could tell be the sticky nickels and other shit being there

also with relations to the other items being withheld that was "just a bug guys, there's no reason we waited 109 hours to fix what was just a bug guys"
>>
>>338275528
Sounds more like you're putting words in his mouth
Easy on the salt there
>>
Don't forget the epic Broken Greed Donation Machine that wasn't on purpose
>>
I honestly wonder what they're gonna put in Afterbirth+. Afterbirth already seemed devoid of ideas, so much so that they had to include the retarded Greed Mode.
>>
>>338276024
more shitty items to dilute the item pools
>>
>>338275943
He's done this shit in every Isaac-related tweet and blog post since Afterbirth was released

the whole "le evil Edmund here" thing isn't funny when you actually were fucking about with shit and withholding content
>>
>>338275351
Edmund hates micro-transactions iirc. He has that great art = money tweet about it.
>>
>>338276024
like 10 items (which means 2 items and then 3 more 5 days later) and mod support (which will probably be half-assed)
>>
>>338276109
Then what was afterbirth?
>>
>>338276225
DLC isn't microtransaction, you moron. Shit like "buy 100 coins for $1" is a microtransaction.

What the fuck are you even doing on /v/?
>>
File: ART-MONEY.png (42 KB, 649x309) Image search: [Google]
ART-MONEY.png
42 KB, 649x309
>>338276225
An expansion, by micro-transactions i mean shit like nickel and dimeing people like zynga, tripwire or riot. Here's the original tweet i can't remember the context exactly, pretty sure it was the payday crime wave blow up shit.
>>
File: 1463518397922.jpg (155 KB, 500x492) Image search: [Google]
1463518397922.jpg
155 KB, 500x492
>>338276225
>these people populate /v/ now
>>
>>338268205
Spoken like a regular clueless sheep.
>>
>>338270621

That wasn't the problem. The Lost had a fucking IMPOSSIBLY convoluted pattern to unlock.

Want a good way of a 'hidden' thing? Bloodborne.

You got a secret boss by exploring things that were entirely different depending on your progression path.

The only time you got one of the items through a normal progression path was killing the penultimate normal boss, which dropped a single item that alluded to being 1 of 3. Then you had other players who might have gone to the clinic AFTER they killed Rom, which netted them another. Or maybe they found the secret hunters workshop which gave another. Theres also killing the whore's baby.

In a normal run through, you'd miss at least 2 of those without leaving the beaten path and being ultra observant.

But they weren't 'HARD' just not obvious and the ONLY reason you'd think to gather them is the fact that a single piece of text in the game tells you about it.
>>
File: 1388012656093.jpg (118 KB, 500x405) Image search: [Google]
1388012656093.jpg
118 KB, 500x405
I see you need some /g/ up in here
>complaying about somebody using files he paid for in a way you don't like
RMS is ashamed
>>
On one hand I can see being bummed people bruted forced your secret you put in to give issac some mystery. On the other you can't dictate how to enjoy a game.
Did he really leave out a bunch of shit in the expansion so he could slow data miners?
>>
>>338270982

no anon. You are the go back
>>
>>338275603
That's a terrible secret.

Unless there was some kind of hint to how you needed to die to get puzzle pieces, the big hunt he's so upset about data miners ruining was a lot of people dying as much as possible in a bunch of different ways hoping they can find the next piece. It was brute force death grinding or brute force datamining so he deserves what he got.
>>
>>338278160
>Did he really leave out a bunch of shit in the expansion so he could slow data miners?

Yes, don't listen to anyone who defends him, this is absolutely true.
>>
>>338267527
>Is he right?
No, he's a whiney faggot that people aren't playing his flash game remake the way he wanted them to. He made the game with delusions of grandeur of internet archaeologists piecing together the puzzle he had so /beautifully/ and /cleverly/ crafted. Then he was denied that satisfaction, because some internet fags with more technical skill than him just ripped the game apart.

Ed is a fag
>>
>>338268156
A food analogy?

AGAIN?

American, I told you to stop making food analogies.

And literally ALL this American does is make another food analogy.

WHY do AMERICANS make only food analogies? ONLY Americans do this.
>>
File: 1287311491757.png (103 KB, 263x303) Image search: [Google]
1287311491757.png
103 KB, 263x303
>>338269758
encrypt EVERYTHING

obfuscate the source code. Encrypt all content files so they can be only unlocked with a one-time use password. Encrypt every last variable in memory.
>>
remember how much fun Lilith's Box used to be
Thread replies: 212
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.