[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>item descriptions are the pinnacle of storytelling
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5
File: 1463731547702.png (358 KB, 553x548) Image search: [Google]
1463731547702.png
358 KB, 553x548
>item descriptions are the pinnacle of storytelling
>>
File: 1463708355893.jpg (407 KB, 869x873) Image search: [Google]
1463708355893.jpg
407 KB, 869x873
painfully true.

what is wrong with us?
>>
File: Super_Metroid_title.png (7 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
Super_Metroid_title.png
7 KB, 256x224
I think the pinnacle of game story telling (conceptually) was Super Metroid
>>
>>338254247

I don't think anyone has ever said Dark Souls is the best story ever told. I don't think anyone has ever said item descriptions are the best way to tell a story.

It's just different, means you have to figure out the story yourself, discuss it, and sometimes leaves things open to interpretation.

But I'm sorry Dark Souls isent your style of storytelling buddy
>>
>>338254629
He could also mean destiny.
You can hate on destiny all you want, yes the content in the game is lackluster and the support from Bungie for the game has left much to be desired, but the universe it developed was immense and the weapons flavour text tells a great story.

Just a pity that they didn't put the goddamn story in the game.
>>
>>338254410
This.

I don't think it tells the best story, but the way it's told is better than any other game I've played.
>>
>>338254247
Logs are the worst method of conveying information in a video game.
>>
>>338254247
Since videogames are an interactive medium, I think it is actually pretty brilliant to make the player piece the story together themselves from scraps of partial information.
>>
File: impressed.jpg (49 KB, 634x422) Image search: [Google]
impressed.jpg
49 KB, 634x422
>Game has entertaining and witty flavour text on items and spells
>>
File: 1463659900481.gif (3 MB, 640x266) Image search: [Google]
1463659900481.gif
3 MB, 640x266
>>338254629
>I don't think anyone has ever said Dark Souls is the best story ever told
>>
>pressing buttons is the pinnacle of gameplay
>>
Call me old-fashioned, but I'm getting sick of any game with Dark Souls like plot exposition. What happened to conversations and choices?
>>
>>338256207
Item descriptions in souls games are essentially just really small logs/codex's. It's not so much the method but the execution.
>>
>not playing games with storytelling through the medium of a narrator
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.