[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I only trust you, guys. How ultimately good is Doom? Can you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 206
Thread images: 21
File: 2136167-3.jpg (17 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
2136167-3.jpg
17 KB, 320x320
I only trust you, guys.

How ultimately good is Doom? Can you guys give me a shill-free, reasonable, short review?
>>
>>338174954
It's 11/10 fully worth the $65.
>>
Single player is fun, multiplayer is meh.
>>
File: 4L_15jrhiqZ.jpg (105 KB, 740x574) Image search: [Google]
4L_15jrhiqZ.jpg
105 KB, 740x574
Also curious. Made a mistake with Uncharted and want to trade it while the value is high.
>>
The campaign is pretty cool, there are constant big battles against hordes of demons and it's all pretty badass..haven't fucked with the multiplayer and I don't care to. I give the campaign a 9/10 though. Worth to buy right now if you are hungry for a new game, if not it is definitely worth with a drop in price.
>>
>>338174954
Single player is great. Multiplayer is Halo tier shit. Snap map is fun if you have the patience for it.
>>
>>338174954
Oldfags hate it.
Console Kiddies love it
>>
Doom cool
Doom + Brutal Doom mod, moar cool
new Doom = CoD with demons
>>
>>338174954

Campaign is probably the most lovingly made "reboot" I've ever seen. Very little bullshit that isn't you killing.

Multiplayer is basically worthless and snapmaps are easier wad creation tools.

It's exactly what you'd want out of a new Doom, but I can see people not wanting to pay full price for it. You should absolutely play it, just maybe not for $60.
>>
Single player is great, but I'd have to play it through again to say it's amazing, the shock of the game actually being good could be exaggerating it's quality in my mind.

I played MP once and the best thing I can say about it is that it's bland and serviceable.

Snapmap could be cool if it was based on the SP instead of the MP engine.
>>
>>338175402
>brutal doom
Are you 12?
>>
>>338175269
>halo tier
>shit
Pick one
>>
The ending is fucking shit and the game is too easy unless you play it on ultraviolence mode. The game plays a bit like crysis, but is really fun. Compared to modern FPS the level design is stellar and enemies are unique. A solid 8/10 game in a marketplace where the average shooter is complete shit.
>>
Single player is great like everyone says.

What I don't understand is everyone's hate for the MP.

Yeah, it's not Q3A, but it's fun. The main downside is that it lacks the speed of Quake, but it doesn't automatically make it bad.
>>
>>338175535
stop iiiit I am 9 years old I don't care fuck you
>>
>>338175241
>FPS on console
You'll have a terrible experience.
>>
>>338175402
It is nothing like brutal doom. D44M is clearly an effort by professionals whereas brûtal doom feels amateurish and badly designed
>>
>>338174954
Are you talking about D44m or Doom?
>>
>>338175546
Anon, I enjoyed Halo for years and even I agree with that one. Halo is slow by comparison to what Quake players want/expect, so don't blame them for disliking it.

With that said,
>>338174954
the single player campaign is great, OP, but nuDoom's multiplayer is pretty lackluster. It's made by guys from Halo/CoD days and is too modern. It utilizes loadouts and is console compliant both in terms of movement and weapon limits. Don't expect good multiplayer if you get this game, OP.
>>
>>338174954
If $60 is big money to you it might not be worth it. But the single player campaign is a lot of fun, and I feel like I got my money's worth. It's very faithful to the series, and the story is extremely good in a weird way.
>>
Great campaign, very good
Shitty editor, ver gimped with no real freedom, can't get better in less than a year and an expansion
Shit MP, barely works, never will pick up

7/10 but a must buy for the GREAT campaign.
>>
>>338174954
Why don't you just play it yourself, retard? It's like fucking 20 MB.
>>
File: 1427252032570.png (53 KB, 239x246) Image search: [Google]
1427252032570.png
53 KB, 239x246
>>338175546
Halo 5 is so revolutionary with booster cards and kill streaks.
>>
The kill animations ruin it.
>>
>>338175546
Last halo with decent MP was Reach. 4 had CoD tier mechanics and 5's MP is a joke. 5's maps have terrible layouts for the most part and some of the worst spawns I think I've ever encountered in a game.
>>
>>338175546
fuck you
>>
Great campaign with terrible multiplayer. Snapmap is bad as well. unfortunately buildt upon the online game, instead of the superior single player.
>>
File: 1462929040220.jpg (66 KB, 960x949) Image search: [Google]
1462929040220.jpg
66 KB, 960x949
I keep hearing about how great the campaign is but is it worth 60 dollarydoos? Don't really care about the multiplayer
>>
>>338174954
The singleplayer is fantastic, if you asked someone in 1994 what they thought Doom would be 22 years later, this game is probably what they had imagined and more.
Multiplayer is meh and a little uninspiried, snapmaps is just a way for console players to experience WADs.

If you can find it on the cheap, it's a no-brainer buy.
>>
Guns all feel pretty great except for maybe the plasma weapon, lots of movement and verticality especially once you get doublejump about an hour in, huge maps with lots of secrets, some are pretty open too, keycards are back if you're into that sort of thing
Monsters look and feel great, imps will run away and scale stuff to throw painful fireballs at you, enemies can generally follow you anywhere so cheesing is harder, their animations are pretty fluid, I'm playing on the highest difficulty you can use in first playthrough and it's been pretty challenging since things hit like trucks and you gotta keep moving
Glory kills also don't bother me like I thought they would, they feel pretty fluid and are good for gap-closing and getting a burst of health, but can also fuck you over if something is waiting to ram a fist up your ass while you're budy doing an animation
New elements like runes and weapon unlocks/upgrades feel natural and fun, there's always something new to play around with and you'll find yourself constantly switching weapons and weapon mods in-fight
Got it for 33€ from cdkeys and I don't regret it, 8+/10 it's fun
>>
Why I am in alone in hating the game?
I felt bored of the gameplay and the gimmick felt stale after the 2nd time. Cluttered detailed maps with no fun of killing. BUT no it has no reloads and no cover 10/10 I see no flaws.
>>
>>338176364
>I keep hearing about how great the campaign is but is it worth 60 dollarydoos?
no. it would be remotely justifiable if the multi and snapmap were good but they're not.
>>
This has to be one of the only games I shat on without mercy during reveal but ended up liking.

Stop fucking using console footage to promote your game.
>>
>>338176364
You can get it for about 40% off from key sites.
>>
>>338174954
SP is a 8/10 it'd be a 9/10 but honestly its alittle too short. It feels Rage like in that aspect where its going fine then all of a sudden they just want it to end. You only go to hell like three times and it feels far too little.

MP is a 6/10 its fun but some mechanics feel inherently shit. The whole demon rune just feels like mash buttons to get like 4-5 kills before you die. The Gauss Rifle is the most retarded thing i've seen in a shooter in awhile also. I've had times where the sights were clearly off someone by 3-4 feet and its beam is so fucking huge and tracking that it just kills them anyway. Unless you get ganged up on its basically a guaranteed 4 kills the gun. BFG is okay its more avoidable and the chainsaw is like a Halo sword with 3x the range with a retarded speed boost.

MP would be a 8/10 better Halo without all these mechanics/pick ups thrown in their just to give shitters the chance to kill. I mean you could argue you can control most of them with proper team map control but Halo/Unreal/Quake pickups were never this powerful and easy to use and tide turning.

I will say the super shotgun is probably 80% as satisfying as Doom 2 which is fucking great. I love 1 v 1 ing people in MP only to slide right by them and rape their shit with it.
>>
>>338176364
Bought it for less on G2A, consider that option.
>>
File: 263768_v0_600x.jpg (84 KB, 600x848) Image search: [Google]
263768_v0_600x.jpg
84 KB, 600x848
>>338174954

the game is great and it's worth the money. however, know that the game takes a while to get going. the first 5 or 6 missions are very easy and feel kind of slow and i was playing on ultraviolence.
>>
>>338176586
>Stop fucking using console footage to promote your game.
Absolutely
There's that youtube video of a guy playing on highest dificulty that often gets posted here, show something like that instead, just pay a dude who's good at shootan 50 bucks and a beer to come play the game in your office if you all suck at it
>>
>>338174954
Mp is really fun but not the same as doom, i for one Dont give a shit about if it is or isn't, single player is where it shines and snapmaps kinda dead on ps4, 8/10
>>
I don't get the hate for its MP. Its nothing special and it has its faults but its basically Halo with a higher individual skill ceiling and more BS power weapons. The slightly higher movement speed/better jump speed/climbing make it a improved Halo in pretty much every way. Gun variety feels more fun too.

Id put it above any Halo besides maybe 2 just because 2s map design and customs were so much fucking fun together. But otherwise its better then 1/3 and the rest of Halos were shit.
>>
>>338175742

Disagree. Doom on ps4 has a good set of graphical and controller options. Obviously pc is better but ps4 is fine.
>>
File: Untitled.png (424 KB, 992x609) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
424 KB, 992x609
>>338174954
7/10, a lot of things could have gone better, but its a step in the right direction. Play it solely for the singleplayer, multiplayer is shit and Snapmap is worthless. Depending on the kind of person you are or how much fun you have with the game you'll just beat it once then never touch it again, and if that's the case then its definitely not worth full price.

Play on Ultra-Violence difficulty for best results.
>>
>>338176586
This. It felt so fucking fast atleast in the SP when i finally played it like a older shooter. But it looked so slow in the reveals because they were probably trying for some cinematic bullshit.

I've also had friends who played the console version say the same. The people playing were just outright slow retards.
>>
Single player is great, but 60 dollars is a bit much for ~10 hours of gameplay. The multi is shit and the snapmap thing might end up being okay but it's no substitute for proper mod tools.
>>
Shooting is great if you ignore no vertical aiming
Music is irrelevant past E1M1
Story is full of shitty cliffhangers so you can buy The Shores of Hell, and it's amazing sequel Inferno!

Honestly vanilla doom is just a tutorial to play it and the mods are the only thing keeping it relevant.
>>
>>338175098
Tis is /v/ newest meme
>>
Story mode is pretty boss, but it has a particular flow: you wander around, killing a few minor enemies, until you get to a big room. You get locked into the big room until all the enemies in it are dead, then you continue exploring.
>>
>>338177036
Doesn't change the fact that you're aiming with an analogue stick.
>>
It's slow linear shit with kill animations.
>>
>>338177194
How is it a meme, retard? It's true.
>>
File: Mature Games.jpg (119 KB, 683x934) Image search: [Google]
Mature Games.jpg
119 KB, 683x934
Singleplayer is solid, feels very fast paced and "quake like", level design for half the levels are really solid, although some tend to use the arenas a tad too much, but I've actually gotten lost in one map, which I haven't been in a recent game for a long fucking time. Game is pretty reliant on glory kills however, and enemies take a decent amount of damage before dying, but honestly, I expected the glory kills to be much more annoying, they feel really fluid in game, especially with the 'runes' that upgrade them, which adds another element of movement. The weapon upgrades system is neat, but some upgrades are just inferior to others.

Snapmap is a mess, but there hasn't been enough time for some solid maps to come out. Multiplayer is pretty much a halo-clone, same devs. Neither of these feel anything like the singleplayer does, due to being outsourced.

I'd say, buy it from a key-seller, game's probably worth the $40 or less, maybe up to $45 if you're as starved for a good shooter as I was, but it's not worth it's $60 price tag, in my opinion.
>>
>>338177194
How so¿
>>
>>338177249
Bruv that's D44m
>>
HOL UP

are we talking about Doom or D44m?

I'm confused.
>>
How long is the campaign? How varied are the environments?
>>
File: Screenshot_4.png (19 KB, 914x78) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_4.png
19 KB, 914x78
>>338177087
I was super disappointed when I realized you get the same achievement for completing the game on each difficulty. Fucking Bethesda.
>>
>>338177307
>Hurrr durr ure returd cause i think i owe the truth

Nah kid, just dont fall for that, if you have a point, say it, if you dont, close the door.
>>
>>338177525
Short. It only took me 10 hours.
>>
File: the bugle wizard.png (1 MB, 714x708) Image search: [Google]
the bugle wizard.png
1 MB, 714x708
>>338174954
Non shill post incoming.

-Remember those rooms in maps where the door'd shut behind you trapping you inside? The level lay out is like a ton of those. It's relatively linear except for a few places but overall at least it holds up nicely graphically. Those anons that say its mostly arenas are correct.

-The actual shooting/movement is RELATIVELY tight, and fast which surprises me because it means they actually LISTENED to us.

-The executions are forced and you DO NEED THEM early in the game. As you progress with the faggoty upgrade system you wont need to much anymore. The problem surrounding this is there shoulda never been balance around melee kills in the first place. It shows lack of foresight and that they cared more for a new generation of players more than proper game balancing.

-The weapons feel weak, and interchangeable. Meaning changing doesn't matter much in most cases which you use. Where with the original Doom 1+2+ final dooms each weapon had its own utilitarian purposes depending on corridoor/area space and enemy grouping, this game doesn't throw as many enemies at you that would necessitate switching meaning the combat can get dull and repetitive quite fast. This is just another case of design being held back for consoles hardware weaknesses.

-The multiplayer is absolute dogshit, dont listen to any shill. The demon shit completely breaks it. It's like getting killstreak bonuses in those faggot COD games for free. It needs serious fixing by the main team to have any semblance of playability. If you need a reference point, Overwatches faggot loadouts are even more balanced than this garbage.

Otherwise, it's pretty alright. I'd wait for it to go down to about $20-$30 during a summer sale to get it. It's worth paying for, but not full price.
>>
>>338174954
Single player is solid 8/10
Multi player is a solid airborne aids.
Snap map stole 40 keks. And that's bad.
>>
>>338177532
Holy shit you're a gigantic faggot.
Why would this possibly upset you?
It's a Steam achievement.
>>
>>338177786
Maybe cause they're a good way to set goals for players and add replayability to a game? Faggot.
>>
Reminder that the publisher put a copyright claim on 4chan stopping people from posting leaked screenshots of Doom. They definitely shill here.
>>
>>338177898
If you need a fucking merit badge to want to play the game on hard you need to get your head checked.
>>
>>338176832
Why the fuck is there a funny meme watermark on this picture?
>>
>>338175369
>Oldfags hate it.
I'm an oldfag and I love it.
>>
>>338174954
Imbon my 3rd playthrough. Still fun.
>>
>>338178093
You are not an oldfag.
>>
>>338178001

i have no idea and honestly i never even noticed until you said that lol
>>
File: 1416278003564.jpg (9 KB, 244x211) Image search: [Google]
1416278003564.jpg
9 KB, 244x211
>the hardest part of Ultra-Nightmare are the first three levels
>>
File: doom_starter_pack.jpg (350 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
doom_starter_pack.jpg
350 KB, 800x600
Classic Doom is about
>huge demons
>tense gunfights
>powerful weapons
>sci-fi + occult
>heavy metal soundtrack
>blood and gore
>running around empty maps for five minutes looking for keys

4OOM is about
>huge demons
>tense gunfights
>powerful weapons
>sci-fi + occult
>heavy metal soundtrack
>blood and gore
>running around empty maps for five minutes looking for keys

I'm really surprised how well they managed to capture everything that was great about Doom. However, there are some modern "conventions" added in, like out of place parkour, really dumb cutscenes, out of place long range weapons, and really annoying radio conversations while you're trying to play. The execution animation things range from annoying to moderately satisfying at best. The high difficulties aren't that difficult. The levels are sometimes kind of boring and samey with the amount of brown and red, like I understand it's Hell and all, but there could be some variance of the types of environments with more colors.

The one thing it DOES have over old Doom is there's much less bullshit enemies spawning behind you, which even Doom 3 was full of.

It's a typical modern example of capturing what made the classic game good but failing to actually progressing at all. It at least is nice to have games rooted in classic design, but it feels like a step back because all the additions suck. I'd compare it to Deus Ex: Human Revolution in that regard.
>>
>>338175369
Oldfag and I like it. Most of the people that are complaining about it are console kiddies that haven't even played it.
>>
>>338175535
LANing brutal doom with friends this weekend. We're all between the ages of 29 and 33 with homes, wives, good jobs, and kids.

We were all playing doom probably before you were born. Does this upset you that people enjoy it?
>>
>>338177286

Its not that big of a deal for singleplayer.

I do recommend changing jump to L1.
>>
File: 1461107178972.jpg (16 KB, 239x255) Image search: [Google]
1461107178972.jpg
16 KB, 239x255
>>338177087
Flow is that you?
>>
>>338178240
Not entirely accurate. The original Doom was more of a corridor shooter. This one just locks you in big empty rooms and has you clear them of enemies, and the original literally never did that.
>>
>>338178501
I don't know who that is, I'm just some guy trying to beat Ultra-Nightmare after doing everything else in the game.
>>
>>338174954
>I only trust you, guys.
>trusting /v/
>>
>>338178606
>the original literally never did that
E1M8
>>
>>338174954
Damn good singleplayer mode (imo the best "classic" fps since Return to Castle Wolfenstein)
Garbage multiplayer mode
No mod support.

I'd say wait for a 50% discount on Steam. Also it's id, so prepare for a 50 gig download.
>>
>>338178606
Doom was definitely not a corridor shooter. Most enemies were in rooms or open areas. Doom 64 was more of a corridor shooter. But yeah, the locking rooms is stupid and spoils the map design, I think it has to do with the way the game loads areas and enemies, which is especially apparent in Snapmap.
>>
The single player has shit level design, and no mod support to even try and fix it. The whole game is also balanced around the three(3) RPG leveling systems.
>>
>>338178741
Boss levels don't count, nigger. And yes, it's still a boss level despite barons becoming a common enemy in the later game.
>>
>>338178606
I'm playing the original Doom for the first time right now. I just did a map where I flipped a switch, the doors closed on me, and a shit ton of imps, pinkies, and zombies swarmed me. This was not the first time the game has followed the multiple hallways and alternate paths bridging a few large rooms filled with enemies model.
>>
>>338178741
You could unlock the doors with a switch.
>>
File: 20160517183858_1.jpg (285 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
20160517183858_1.jpg
285 KB, 1600x900
30 hours played so far
>good level design, not that linear compared to modern shooters
>good weapon design, though some just feel "weak"
>demons are basically the same as in og doom with some changes (eg. imps still shoot fireballs but move around faster)
>glory kills aren't that bad once you get used to them, its even satisfying to use a Berserk power up
>story isn't shoved down your throat though you get locked in a room sometimes
>area lockdown gets repetitive after a while (you have to kill the demons around before you can advance)
>lot of secrets
>lot of easter eggs and references
>good music (subjective)
Its really what I wanted from Doom, just run around and shoot things and rip and tear
I haven't touched the multiplayer or snapmap
I don't think its worth $60 so I recommend getting it from a grey key site
>>
>>338178172
he is tho
>>
>>338176832
>posting my favorite image of Seras out of nowhere

My boi
>>
File: THE READS GOOTECKS.png (1 MB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
THE READS GOOTECKS.png
1 MB, 800x800
>>338177087
You're friends with Floe?
>>
>>338178934
>RPG leveling systems

RPG, in doom? So its not doom?

Is the chainsaw still a quick time event? Thats the dealbreaker for me.
>>
>>338175369
It's the other way around faggot. This game is as classic as it gets.
>>
>>338179423
It and the Berserk powerup are QTEs.
The Chainsaw is a QTE that takes fuel.
>>
>>338179520
>>338179423
>QTE
Didn't qte use to mean 'press button atr right moment'
It's just an animation that plays
>>
I trust this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGkpqhD431c
>>
>>338177087
Question: Can I just replay the missions on a higher difficulty to unlock ultra-nightmare or do I have to start an entire new campaign run?
>>
>>338179681
On Doom3
>It got the horror aspect of Doom down pat
Fucking nigger confirmed for never playing the original Doom.
No, the PSX and 64 versions don't count as "the original".
Ok review though.
>>
Singleplayer is great.

Multiplayer sucks ass.

Game both runs and looks great.

Super shotty is amazing, as it should be.

The starter pistol needs to be fucking replaced, god that thing is shit in every way.

Overall 8/10

Also, waiting for someone to mod in permanent Berserk mode or unlimited chainsaw fuel. I would literally play the entire campaign over again if I could just punch/chainsaw everything to death.
>>
>>338178337
>Does this upset you that people enjoy it?
yes
>>
so guys, what are the odds that they'll add a horde mode to this game ala Killing floor?
>>
>>338175501
And when you aren't killing shit, Doomguy is really fucking angry and just smashes his way through everything. Like the upgrade bots, he just beats the shit out of 'em
>>
>>338179917
You should unlock Ultra-Nightmare after beating the game, then you'll have to use a new save slot to play it because dying in Ultra-Nightmare deletes the entire save slot, so keep one of the three save slots you have free to play Ultra-Nightmare whenever you feel like it.

Also you can't switch difficulties to and from Nightmare, so if you want a Nightmare run you'll have to start a new save slot. This is basically why there are three save slots I think, so one slot for Ultra-violence, one for Nightmare, and a third one for Ultra-Nightmare.
>>
The only way I can put it is that I legitimately thought I would be fucking annoyed and fucking pissed at press button to have your enemy explode into neon confetti bits but I ended up loving it because it meant that I never had to stop ripping and tearing.
>>
>>338180350
Probably 0 when the engine can only support like 10 enemies on screen at once.
>>
>>338177087
Nightmare is the best difficulty. Fuck off.
>>
>>338180350
People are already making them with snapmap. I figure official versions will get added as well.

Coop against endless waves of demons is going to be amazing.
>>
>>338180547
Do you play the game on a toaster or something? I've seen shitloads of demons without any issue
>>
>>338175635

>No speed
>Loadouts
>Not doom/quake gameplay

It's simple, really.
>>
File: 39722.jpg (267 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
39722.jpg
267 KB, 1920x1080
>>338174954
https://youtu.be/zX9be6oxxiI

Quick summary review under a minute.
>>
>>338180694
Try and place a bunch of enemies in Snapmap, only a couple will spawn at a time.
>>
>>338180754
That sounds more like an issue with Snapmap itself. The game can handle a shitload of enemies at once without suffering any real performance loss.
>>
>>338174954
Singleplayer is pretty solid stuff, with quite a bit of secrets to discover. There's a LOT of "door locked, fight all the enemies in a mini-arena" scenarios, but I don't think you'll mind. There ARE some cutscenes, but you get back into the action pretty quickly.

I'm having a blast with multiplayer, but don't take my word on it; general consensus is that the multiplayer is the game's biggest flaw.

I haven't bothered much with Snapmap. The custom logic seems really indepth, but the layout and appearance of custom maps are limited.
>>
>>338180947
Prove it.
>>
Best shooter since TNO

That's not saying much, but it is
>>
>>338180367
>Tricked by demons into taking a nap for how many years
>Humanity hadn't learnt their lesson the first 3-4 times
I'd be pissed too
>>
>>338177732
>Demon Rune breaks the game

Only in that kill confirmed rip off bullshit. Otherwise just have half your team or more toss grenades on it well its transforming and its dead in half a second usually. Its hilarious if you get quad damage it dies in a single up close SSG shot.
>>
Why do people hate the MP so much? Yeah it has its easy as mechanics but they rarely win games for people. Speaking from a purely TDM perspective its fun as fuck and a better Halo overall. I see people here dickride Halo 3 all day and this MP is better then that slop by a nice gap. Its faster and the climbing/weapon viability is great across the board.

Its by no means perfect Doom 2 MP was more fun and its nothing compared to something like Unreal 2k4/1998. But its not dogshit or this abomination retards make it out to be.

Again im speaking purely based on TDM its fun.
>>
Should I get Wolfenstein TNO if I liked D44M? How similar/different is it?
>>
>>338182151
Does it have servers or is it bullshit p2p shit?
>>
>>338182648
it has servers but no server browser
>>
>>338182648
Dedicated Servers as far as i can tell. I haven't had to pay anything to get online. Also there is nothing you can buy for the MP to make it any easier.
>>
>>338182151
its slow as fucking shit compared to the single player

>loadouts
>no weapons on maps besides power weapons
>demon rune mechanic has a shit implementation
>FUCKING LOADOUTS
>>
>>338183074
What's the problem with load outs? I'm not advocating for them, just curious about why they are bad
>>
>>338183342
in arena shooters a large chunk of skill comes down to map and weapon control

they removed a fuckton of that with loadouts and no weapons on the map
>>
I can only personally talk about SP since that's all I've been doing but pretty much everything about the campaign is fantastic.
Between the overall speed, the great level design and enemy placement and the secrets/ unlockables it feels so good.
I'm only playing through UV since I though nightmare was locked but I'm still having a fir bit of difficulty and have had to restart quite a few times, especially lately where you're in central processing and there's like 5 imps, 2 cacodemons and mancubuses and barons onscreen at any time.
The weapon/suit upgrades are nice and most weapons feel strong even without upgrades, aside from the pistol which is only strong with the alt fire and headshots. The only real complaint I have is the air control rune should have just been built into movement automatically and there should be more runes that don't have to do with glory kills.
>>
>>338183074
I have no issue with the loadouts honestly since the weapon balance is really good and there is still a reason to control parts of the maps over the powerups/power weapons.

But i will agree the fact all the mobility rune powerups aren't naturally on feel retarded. Why is air strafing turned off when it can only add to a MP like this? And yeah Demon Rune isn't game breaking but its pretty lame.

Again though its still not terrible and feels faster/a better version of any Halo game overall. Its not something that will be remembered but its enjoyable atm.
>>
>>338183401
Honestly the game is pretty much a faster Halo with a higher individual skill ceiling. Its not a full on arena shooter. You'll have more fun if you just play it like a Halo game anon. Its not Unreal/Quake or anything like that.
>>
>>338174954
Ultimate Doom?
It's pretty good but it lacks the super shotgun, which some would argue makes the game more balanced but who the fuck gives a shit about balance in doom, it's one of the most satisfying weapons to fire in vidya history.
>>
File: 1463140423994.png (223 KB, 462x487) Image search: [Google]
1463140423994.png
223 KB, 462x487
>>338174954
>I only trust you guys

>trusting /v/
>ever
>>
>>338175635
Because the MP COULD have been good just based on the campaign. Remove loadouts and weapon limits and put weapons on the map, instant improvement. Increase movement speed. Now we've got a good game.
>>
>Pinkys can take more rockets to the face than hell knights
>Classic levels throw a ton of them at you
>>
>>338177732
I actually feel the executions were more useful later in the game, particularly the two last levels. Most of the early game I only executed for fun.
>>
>>338179002
same here. the rooms are there in the original doom. just smaller
>>
Has anyone done a nightmare run? That shit is rough.
>>
>>338183775
Pinkys also die in a single super shotgun slug to the back.
>>
>>338183775
>not just sidestepping them and two-shotting them in the back with the double shotty
They have armor everywhere else.
>>
>>338179002
Yeah but new doom seems to be almost exclusively that, especially in the later levels. There's very few monsters actually outside of the arenas.
>>
>>338183557
and thats why people dont like it that much
>>
Only worth it on PC. Its literally impossible to truly RIP AND TEAR the way this game wants you to on a shitty ass controller with such low precision and turning speed.

It's so much goddamn fun on PC though. One of the best gameplay loops in years.
>>
>>338183961
It was actually my first playthrough and really hard since enemies can kill you in two hits early on. Died a lot, but afterwards I did a run in Hurt Me Plenty for the achievements and it was a cakewalk in comparison.

Kind disappointed you didn't get an achievement for it.

By the way: Are cheats allowed on Nightmare?
>>
>>338184010
and you don't have that in most of the classic maps.

Which is why i brought up classic maps. They would be fun otherwise but they made pinkys fucking bullshit.
>>
>>338177286
Any reasonably coordinated individual can adjust pretty quickly. I played through the game on Nightmare on PS4 with no problems. PC has better performance and graphics for sure (though not by much unless you can run the game at a crazy high resolution), but in terms of precision while PC has an advantage it's not really necessary. And since I'm pretty sure the multiplayer isn't cross play it's not like you'll be at a disadvantage playing with a controller online either.
>>
>>338184243
Well by the same logic you can put like less than half of the rockets in their back than you would in their face
>>
>>338184231
Nightmare is locked on first playthrough.
>>
>>338183961
nightmare was fun as fuck, did it my first play through with no enemy glow, compass, objective markers, etc.

not too hard if you are decent at shooters

makes the battles feel GREAT
>>
>>338184479
THATS ANOTHER THING, FUCKING ROCKETS HAVE A TINY ASS FUCKING SPLASH AREA

WHAT THE FUCK.

THERES A GROUP OF SOLDIERS LINED UP. EASY PICKINGS RIGHT?

NOPE

ONLY KILLS THE ONE IT HITS, STUNS THE ONES AROUND IT. AND THEN I STILL HAVE TWO PINKYS CHARGING ME

NO FUCK THAT. THATS NOT FAIR.
>>
>>338184483
No, it's not.

I started on Ultra-Violence, played a couple of levels and then realized Nightmare was unlocked for some reason and decided to play on that difficulty instead using a new save slot.
>>
>>338184739
huh...
>>
>>338184483
its only red

not locked
>>
>>338176047

I don't think you've played Halo 5
>>
>>338175369
Been playing Doom since '94 on my 486 PC, and I've completed every Doom game on every difficulty multiple times. The new game is great (although definitely not perfect).
>>
What keybinds do you guys use for weapons? I can't stretch all the way to 7 and 8 from WASD
>>
>>338185130
1 - super shotty
2 - normal shotty
3 - plasma rifle
4 - HAS
5 - rocket launcher
Z - gauss rifle
X - chaingun
G - chainsaw
T - BFG
>>
>>338178240
I like the "parkour". The level designs are much more vertical than the classics and enemies are far faster, which means you need to keep on the move. It's not like you're doing wall running Prince of Persia shit. You can jump and climb ledges. That's all it is.
>>
>>338185412
>I like the "parkour".
Did you give Dying Light a shot?
>>
Well my friend!
First you hitter the man punch fast! :)
The rushes of between. The hair sis what gives you to go from room and room. Again and. The again
Thanks for my swing
>>
>>338185487
Yeah, I enjoyed it for what it was. Much better than Dead Island for sure. Using the grappling hook was fun and going out at night could get intense. I'm a sucker for zombie scenario games though.
>>
>>338174954
Which Doom?

Nu-Doom is fun, too many fucking arenas though. I think its a better sequel then 3 was.
>>
>>338187519
What's bad about arenas?
>>
>>338177902
This guy is retarded beyond understanding
>>
>>338176364
REDBOX
E
D
B
O
X
>>
>>338188138
Redbox dosen't have PC games you ding dong.
>>
>>338187957
Nothing, they're pretty fun in nu-Doom, I just think they overused them.

But I'm just an autist on the internet so what do I know.
>>
>>338184231
It's another case of
>Hard mode is too hard
>Normal mode is too easy
>>
>>338188219
Well you could always go the consolecuck route.
>>
>>338177194
you're a meme, fuck off
>>
>>338176364
Maybe 40 or 30.

I just beat it on Ultra-Violence today and it took me like 14 hours. I'd say wait for a sale.
>>
>>338188275
hardmode isnt too hard, its quite nice
>>
>>338174954
single player is fun. I don't believe its $60 fun but if you can get it at a discount go for it. multiplayer is meh don't fucking care about halo. snapmaps might be cool haven't seen any maps come out yet that blows my dick off.
>>
Is there any local co-op? Doom co-op used to be GOAT
>>
I like D44m, but playing the remakes of the E1M1 and the other Doom 1+2 levels made me realize how much better those games were.
>>
It is an OK game and is better than most of the shit FPS games that are released today. However due to the Limited modding capability its longevity will not anywhere near approach that of the original and as a result it will ultimately be forgotten a year from now.
>>
>>338188883
Nope, no online co-op either unless you plan on playing Snapmap.
>>
>>338189071
Goddamnit
Oh well, the friend I would have played with is FPS-retarded anyways
>>
>>338189025
That and the botched multiplayer are my biggest disappointments about this game.
>>
>>338174954
I saw a gameplay vid. Apart from the slow speed and the randomly glowing enemies it looked alright. Wouldn't spend 60 bucks on yet, but would get it for a twenny or so.
>>
File: 1453217138835.png (267 KB, 379x282) Image search: [Google]
1453217138835.png
267 KB, 379x282
>>338174954
>trusting /v/
>ever
>>
>>338189025
>the modding capability won't reach that of a 20+ year old open source shareware game that runs in DOS
Damn, really?
>>
>>338174954
easy 8.5/10. the combat is fast, satisfying, and has great momentum, the story and characters are minimal yet somehow compelling, and its visual/audio design are pretty good.
>>
File: Rodd.jpg (10 KB, 259x253) Image search: [Google]
Rodd.jpg
10 KB, 259x253
>>338174954
Fallout is better.
>>
>>338189025
>Limited modding capability
Don't you mean no modding capability?
>>
>>338189520
I'm not sure what your point is. Part of my love for the original dude is that people are still making content for it today. I have been playing through the sunlust wad it's pretty good
>>
File: DONT.jpg (185 KB, 956x1280) Image search: [Google]
DONT.jpg
185 KB, 956x1280
>>338188393
>>
>>338189770
Todd, you know that you don't have to keep posting pictures of yourself to post here right? It's an anonymous image board. If you need to wear an admittedly clever disguise, why post a picture at all?
>>
>>338189914
My point is that expecting a modern AAA game to be as easily and widely accessible for modders as Doom 1/2 is retarded.
Granted, some games with pack-in modtools can achieve some similar mod content, but those games are usually crapsacks running on garbage engines like Fallout 3.

At least D44M has snapmap
>>
>>338190394
>At least D44M has snapmap
You mean putting together prefab rooms and playing them on the multiplayer engine? Meaning 2-weapon limit, and none of the progression system upgrades from single player.

Even fucking Halo is better than that.
>>
>>338187957
Not him, but I wish they had used the arenas as the rune challenges and kept the regular levels more old-school with enemies placed naturally in the levels and no constant spawning enemies or being forced to fight in locked rooms. The arenas are fun as fuck but mess with the pace of the levels.
>>
>>338190586
They'll probably patch in actual level design tools, Bethesda seems to love the idea of releasing community content AFTER their own shitty DLCs.
Did Fallout 4 get a GECK yet?
>>
>>338189770

You realize they're both bethesda games right?
>>
>>338174954
upgradable skill tree/10
>>
>>338185038
no doom was perfect but every game deserves it's recognition, same goes for doom3. new doom is a fast paced challenging shooter and the secrets, easter eggs and weapom variety are finally something fresh again, and anyone comparing it to COD is a turbonigger dsp-loving disgrace who hasn't played neither doom nor cod on their 14yo toasters.
>>
>>338191134
I agree 100%, even about Doom 3.
>>
>>338174954
It's good, not entirely doom, but it's the best fps i've played in a long time.

It gets really close to the doom "feel" (?), and then decides to lock you in a small room untill all the enemies are dead, but to kill them you first have to wait for them to spawn in out of nowhere (what is the point of the summoner demons if all the other demons can just open their own little personal hell portals whenever they feel like it?). And other times it pulls you right out of the game by locking you into a 30 sec cutscene for seemingly no reason.

And at the start of the game it gives you practically no ammo capacity so you end up spending most of your time running around looking for ammo or spamming pistol+glorykills to conserve those precious 20 shotgun shells the game so graciously allow you to fit in your fanny pack.

It's a good fps, but i'd say wait for a small discount. If you're only in it for the singleplayer, that is, the multiplayer and snapmap probably have loads of content, i haven't really botherd with that yet.
>>
>>338174954
The singleplayer is pretty good. If it wasn't called Doom I'd say it's a 9/10. It doesn't feel like Doom at times but it's still fast and enjoyable. The RPG upgrades and glory kills are the shittiest part.

The multiplayer is complete trash. It's blatant that it was outsourced because it's just a slightly faster Halo 4/5 basically. It fucking sucks.
>>
>>338175369
Other way around faggle.
>>
>>338192757

>it doesn't feel like an ancient game that was so constrained by the tech of it's time that the DOS version used system sounds because it wasn't capable of making it's own noises

There's no way that's anything but a positive.
>>
File: 1462753930035.png (32 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1462753930035.png
32 KB, 500x500
>>338174954
>trusting /v/
>>
>>338193187
Well a twelve-year-old would think that.
>>
>>338179917
You have to beat a certain mission (6 i think) on easy, medium, or hard, in order to unlock nightmare (hardest) and ultra-nightmare (hardest +permadeath)

While you can freely jump between easy, medium, and hard on the same savefile/campaign, you have to start a new savefile in order to play on nightmare or ultra-nightmare.
>>
>>338193475

a 12-year old would be as old as DOOM 3
>>
>>338193187
>>it doesn't feel like an ancient game that was so constrained by the tech of it's time that the DOS version used system sounds because it wasn't capable of making it's own noises but in spite of that is still better than every single FPS released in the last decade
Yes, that's right.
>>
>>338193897

it's alright to admit that you can't aim so you need the game to do it for you because it has to
>>
>>338185342
Z - chainsaw
X - BFG
C - plasma cannon (?)
V - chaingun
M4 - s.shotgun
M3 - rocket launcher
Shift - crouch

Other weapons are standard keybindings
>>
I suddenly got this feeling like the ff7 remake is going to suck.
>>
>>338194147
You mean like most modern shooters? Yeah I sure like that more than the game directing your shots up and down because you can't aim in that direction mechanically.
>>
>>338194532
Most if not all console shooters maybe.
>>
>>338177191
>Music is irrelevant past E1M1
fuk u
Thread replies: 206
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.