[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>a lot of recent MMOs tried to make the cut as a pay to play
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: ultimaonline-1[1].jpg (69 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
ultimaonline-1[1].jpg
69 KB, 500x375
>a lot of recent MMOs tried to make the cut as a pay to play MMO only to have to go free to play because they couldn't hack it
>Ultima Online is a still-running MMO created nearly 19 years ago and still uses the pay to play model

What went right?
>>
>>338116694
I wish the game still looked like this. New artstyle sucks ballsacks.
>>
>>338116694
>What went right?
Well, it's a world model, not a themepark model, and it doesn't have jewing.

So you can pay your sub and live an alternate life in a reasonably fleshed out world with profession/character/etc. interdependencies, proper housing, pvp, crafting etc.
>>
I don't think I really want to know what EA has done to UO...
>>
>>338117327
Why other devs can't make a "second ultima"? Why live
>>
>>338117367
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqglvnmSPSw
>>
>>338117831
Because most have been replaced with pod people.
>>
>>338116694
It´s an actual MMO+RPG, not just MMO+LOOT for low attentionspam normies
>>
>>338117831
because modern devs are console casuals themselves
>>
>>338116694
Most likely it just isn't easy incorporating the F2P microtransaction-rich model into a game that old. It's also easy as fuck to hack.
>>
>>338118379
>>Most likely it just isn't easy incorporating the F2P microtransaction-rich model into a game that old.
Why wouldn't it be?
>>
File: grin.png (30 KB, 206x183) Image search: [Google]
grin.png
30 KB, 206x183
>>338117965
>that complete confusion at how to do anything in the game's tutorial
>>
>>338116694
linkrealms comes out tomorrow and it is built to be a true oldschool mmo like UO im gonna try it out
>>
>>338121271
What the fuck kind of a name is that. It doesn't seem like a serious game.
>>
>>338121429
>>338121271
Ok, that actually does seem pretty neat. I'd love to build stuff in isometric like that, I had great fun building in Path of Exile before it inexplicably stopped working for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9trJaD6CwI

I wonder how they'll fuck it up.
>Moreover, premium items available in the in-game store can always be purchased from other players as well.
>premium items
>in-game store

>premium
>items
>in-game
>store

>>
I'll paste something I read a bit ago that can explain why UO is irreplaceable to their players.

So, I really don't know why I am coming to this sub to write this besides to vent. I sit here and watch SWTOR uninstall for the 3rd time this month, and I've started to come to a realization that something went terribly wrong back in the late 1990's.
I've been playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online's release, and nothing has come close to capturing the same feeling or experience UO provided. The only MMO to even scratch the same surface for me is EVE Online.
I don't know what, or why it happened, but the theme park "kill 10 rats" formula somehow won against what could have been the actual 'real' genre for online role playing games that people envision in their heads whenever they think of a living breathing virtual world. Instead, we are now stuck with an over-saturated MMO genre that feels like a bad episode of The Twilight Zone where the exact same game is produced with a different can of paint, the same checklist of faded gimmicks, and a shelf life that is an embarrassment to everyone involved with it.
The fact that the actual living and breathing fantasy sandbox world that UO brought to the RPG genre as a whole was discarded and left in the dust makes no sense to me. Its like a bad point in history where the person who was supposed to win instead lost, and we are still dealing with the consequences a decade and a half later.
Will this honestly ever change? I know people are looking to Shroud of the Avatar with some hope, and I truly do hope it can manage to capture even a fraction of the magic UO held, but I'm not sure. The sorry state of the MMORPG genre really feels like something with massive potential was completely and utterly trashed and left to rot. We now have a hundred clones of the same hollowed out experience that cater to the lowest common denominator in gaming. Complete with gear treadmills, themepark grindfests, much rinsing, and much repeating.

1/2
>>
>>338121857

Maybe I'm looking at the glory days of UO through nostalgia filled rose colored glasses, but this game was honestly "the game". I made friends and memories here. We erected houses, castles, and towns together. We created worlds here. And to think we went from this, to grinding "3 out of 10 com relays/rat nests/dung piles/computer terminals destroyed" checklists is honestly embarrassing.
Like I said, I really have no idea why I came here besides to vent. I truly hope something can be done for the state of the MMORPG genre as a whole. Garriott is in his mid 50's now, and I'm not sure how long he's going to keep trying to drag this genre back into the light before he gives up.

2/2

inb4didntreadlol
>>
File: Berlin+in+1945[1].jpg (357 KB, 1273x1080) Image search: [Google]
Berlin+in+1945[1].jpg
357 KB, 1273x1080
>>338121857
>Its like a bad point in history where the person who was supposed to win instead lost,
>>
>>338121857
i kickstarted shrouds of avatar, from what i played i still have no fucking idea what the game's deal is
>>
>>338122372
British just needed money for another spaceship or whatever he collects nowadays.
>>
>>338121925
>erected
*snickers*
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.