[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/20 16/05/18/editorial-an-en
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5
File: gud1[1].jpg (59 KB, 620x287) Image search: [Google]
gud1[1].jpg
59 KB, 620x287
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/05/18/editorial-an-end-to-git-gud-you-dont-need-to-be-good-at-games/

Well /v/?
>>
>John Walker
Of course.
>>
Same thread with the same image was posted earlier. Fuck off.
>>
>Don't make fun of our Doom video
>>
File: Untitled-2.png (3 KB, 429x410) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-2.png
3 KB, 429x410
I don't like his delivery, but the title's true. You really don't.
>>
File: 1397702902813.png (120 KB, 285x303) Image search: [Google]
1397702902813.png
120 KB, 285x303
Nobody gives a shit if you're bad at games except in two situations.

1. You're playing a team game and you need to play a vital role, such as Medic or Tank

2. You're reviewing the game.

Do you guys remember back in the nineties when gaming magazines would assign people who loved a genre to review a game in that genre? They'd have "FPS Bill", "Racing Chet", "Puzzle Game Hannah", "RPG Frank". Y'know, people who like particular genres and would be the best people to decide whether a game is good or bad? What the fuck happened to that? If I looked up a review the new Deus Ex game, I want some guy who played the original Deus Ex and Human Revolution to play it, to see the major changes. Then they could give it a review that wasn't a number score but actually talk about who the game is for.

Amazing game: Everybody should play this, even if you don't like the genre.

Great game: If you like *genre*, then you've gotta pick this up.

Good game: If you like *genre*, it could be worth a look.

Okay game: Only get it if you're a big fan of the genre.

Bad game: Many problems, but some entertainment can be found in here

Awful game: Avoid at all costs.

I'm so fucking sick and tired of sites like RPS, Kotaku, Polygon, calling people who are upset with dumb/harmful shit the site does getting butthurt and writing long editorials about how they're write and it's the people complaining who are wrong. Grow a fucking spine.
>>
File: dont_interrupt.gif (1 MB, 540x190) Image search: [Google]
dont_interrupt.gif
1 MB, 540x190
>>338112721

>wooden spoon
>>
File: 1453736638864.png (376 KB, 535x460) Image search: [Google]
1453736638864.png
376 KB, 535x460
>rockpapershotgun
>>
>>338113986
That was Polygon but still got a chuckle out of me
>>
>>338112721
looks like someone has to git gud
>>
>>338115006
Yes. It's because these days, the people that review games are the friends of people that already work for gaming review sites, instead of people that genuinely love games.
>>
>>338112721
I was about to post this, but archived.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160518202758/https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/05/18/editorial-an-end-to-git-gud-you-dont-need-to-be-good-at-games/

Fucking lol, anyway. Somebody sounds like he can't git gud and needs a hug.
>>
The central idea of the article is good but almost everything else is terrible.
>>
>Dilute my gaming experience so the lowest denominator can play it
Because that turned out so well for comics and MTG in the 90s didn't it.

Man, RPS used to have such good articles. What happened?
>>
>>338117609

Over privileged assholes took over and are trying to look "modern" by talking about pretty much everything but games
>>
>Rock, Paper, Die Cis Scum
I'll pass.
>>
>>338117609
>What happened?
They went with the times.
>>
>>338117609
Magic fucked itself by appealing to casuals at one point?
>>
>>338112721
Nobody said you need to be good at games to enjoy them. The only time "git gud" is ever said (or at least should ever be said) is when somebody complains that a game is too hard.
>>
>A really unpleasant gaming trend is getting louder and louder of late, where it’s considered of vital importance to observe when other people are “bad” at games. And of course insinuating that one is “good” at them at the same time. Such an attitude reveals an extraordinarily narrow-minded view of gaming, and indeed of humanity. It’s really time for it to stop.

Stopped reading right here. Being bad at video games is equivalent to bad at reading books and understanding the characters or the story. It'd be like reading Harry Potter and thinking Voldemort is the hero of the story. If you can't run and shoot at the same time in a FPS game, then your opinions on FPS games are pretty worthless.
>>
>>338117895
Totally agree. Frankly I'm terrible at the Souls games, it bothers me that the game's don't have a map, and I get my ass kicked by very basic enemies because I just don't pay enough attention.

But that's on me, and the game isn't bad because I suck at it.
>>
>>338114321
Yes the Title is true but don't expect people to take your opinion seriously when you suck shit at video games. people who do writing for games are at the point where they cannot be trusted because of how low of a skill level these people usually are.

Theres a reason why youtubers are now taking their place its because most of the youtubers are actually good at videogames save for a few.
They're right and wrong at the same time with the wrong being the most correct.
>>
>>338112721
Since it's RPS and apparently John Walker, I'm not reading the article past the url.

However, the url is correct. You don't have to be good at games, it really is not a problem or a shame if you suck at them (unlike being bad at reading, maths, etc.)

What people like him often do however, is being both bad at games, and expecting this to never get in their way when they play video games. That is wrong, selfish and actual entitlement.
>>
>>338117808
>at one point?
At every expansion depending on which fanboy you talk to.
>>
I don't need to be good at sports. If I'm not allowed in the Olympics, that's discrimination.
>>
>>338119631
Missing the point. He's saying that not everybody wants to be in the Olympics.
>>
>>338115006

Don't fucking say it was better in the past, because there were so many bad reviews back then as it was now.

>>338120963

Which isn't wrong to be honest. You don't have to be a super genius at games, but if we're using that Polygon Doom 4 example it does raise some issues on how that person would review the game. Would he say it's too difficult and give it a lower score when in fact it isn't? Hopefully not, but the possibility is there.
>>
>>338120963
Then dont fuckin go to the Olympics and stick to playing hide and seek

Translation: invent easy games for shitty players, do not make established game titles easier for sake of them
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.