[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
where the fuck did this meme come from that pre-baked lighting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2
File: ue4lakehouse.png (1 MB, 1399x742) Image search: [Google]
ue4lakehouse.png
1 MB, 1399x742
where the fuck did this meme come from that pre-baked lighting is unimpressive?

most lighting in games is a combination of dynamic and static you autistic fucks
>>
>>337978536

It came from retards who felt the need to shit on mirrors edge
>>
>>337978536
Because it's not real time? Pre-rendered lighting is not as impressive as real time lighting, and what's more it requires static environments which are bad for video games in general.
>>
>>337980289
>it requires static environments

wrong
>>
>>337980450
>shoot the vase and destroy it
>that amazing realistic shadow it casted on the wall is still there and looks retarded now
>>
>>337980707
>combination of dynamic and static

fuck you
>>
>>337978536
When Uncharted 4 had good baked lighting, suddenly it's the worst thing ever
>>
>>337978536
Well that's just the thing. If you bake in 100% of the lighting, that means the scene is completely static. You can't interact with it. At that point it's no longer a game, just a virtual showcase where you control the camera.
>>
>>337978536
I dunno. Baked lighting is great, assuming whatever real-time lighting you have is also well done, so animated and active objects in the scene don't stick out like a sore thumb. Baked lighting adds a pretty good sense of realism to a scene that realtime lighting simply can't attempt (at least until real-time raytracing becomes commonplace, which I'd actually expect to happen sooner than later, since it scales extremely well to the massively parallel nature of GPU hardware)
>>
>>337985116
So bake in lights where objects are sitting and when they move use dynamic
>>
pre-baked lighting is unimpressive on a technical level
>>
>>337982461
you can't have the OP pic with a dynamic lighting model on current systems
you specifically mentioned pre-baked lighting in the OP
>>
>>337978536
Sure it looks good but it's all static and shit.
>>
>>337983472
>baked lighting
>in 2016

that was acceptable in whatever year Mirror's Edge came out
>>
>>337985649
That's not exactly relevant to the conversation. OP's picture uses 100% pre-baked lighting and a static scene, because once you move anything or implement any sort of dynamic lighting, that room will fall to pieces.
>>
>>337978536
>pre-baked
It's just baked you idiot. And if your baked lightning is miles above your real-time lightning the effect will be incredibly jarring, like jumping from a pre-rendered to a real time cutscene
>>
>>337978536
It's been a meme for a while now for edgy kids to be cynical of anything that looks new/good as if to appear they're personally somehow on the "cutting edge"
>>
File: animation cell.jpg (47 KB, 460x516) Image search: [Google]
animation cell.jpg
47 KB, 460x516
>>337982461
>>337985649

If you mixed the two, you'd get pic related in video game form.
>>
>>337978536
The only thing more retarded than people who don't understand the necessity of combination lighting is posting about their ignorance.
>>
>>337978536
This makes me think of the IKEA house from Heavy Rain. High fidelity graphics just means that the developer will be ultra conservative and safe in their design decisions.

Video games never needed this level of detail because everybody has some level of suspension of disbelief and ability to use their imagination to fill in the blanks.

Pre-baked or not, this level of detail is not impressive because its just not important at all.
>>
>>337986958

>ability to use their imagination

fuck off. if you don't care about visuals and prefer "imagination", stick to tabletop RPGs. visuals are important in a VISUAL medium
>>
>>337987171
Reread my post you stupid faggot.

I didn't say visuals were unimportant, I said that THIS LEVEL OF DETAIL is unimportant. Best games ever created were in the 16bit era because we let our imagination work with the superior art direction to fill in the blanks. This left a lot of resources open so devs could create great gameplay.

Go back to your COD or whatever high fidelity graphics AAA trash that is pumped out these days.
>>
>>337987716

"imagination" shouldn't be necessary in a visual medium, period. stick to tabletop RPGs and NES games if you disagree
>>
>>337982461
You're fucking retarded.
>>
>>337988860
see
>>337985649
>>
>>337985649
>>337988970
Name a single game that does this.
>>
>>337989072
Assassin's Creed Unity, GTA V, Uncharted 4
>>
>>337989142
No they fucking don't, besides Uncharted which has rooms like in the OP where literally everything is static.
The only "combination" in that case is that one level is completely pre-baked and another level is real time.
>>
not interactive, environment and most items within almost certainly will have to be static

not saying it's not pretty, but it means you cannot play with the environment as much unless done correctly

would be happier when we can effectively mesh pre baked lighting, shadows, etc with a plethora of dynamic components as well
>>
>>337989475
you think Uncharted 4 uses real-time GI? lol
>>
>>337978536
That carpet is pissing me off
>>
>>337989558
No, I think it pre-bakes lighting in places like the house which is 100% static and in gameplay levels it's back to real time lighting in which the game looks like shit.
>>
>>337986775
Nope. Play literally any modern game and it's full of mixed dynamic and static light, you retard.
>>
>>337990041
Show me one example of a game scene with pre-baked lighting mixed with real time lighting that doesn't look like shit.
>>
>>337990187
the entirety of Uncharted 4
>>
>>337990512
The only time the lighting looks good is when it's 100% pre-baked in the house. So no.
>>
>>337990840
>opinion

it's the best looking game I've ever seen, across the board
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.