[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is it 'wrong' to dislike RPG's? >IF YOU
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 16
File: image.jpg (342 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
342 KB, 1280x800
Why is it 'wrong' to dislike RPG's?
>IF YOU DONT LIKE cRPG GAMES YOU ARE CLEARLY AN IDIOT WITH LOW TASTE
I keep seeing this a lot. How is it 'objectively' bad to like and dislike different things? I do not like the slow and empty deliberation in cRPG games. I do not like having 'parties' taking turns, irreversible deaths, and dull punishing combat. I make an exception for some 'RPG's' like Bioshock or Dark Souls but I do not like these cRPGs. Why is that wrong?
>>
>>337959862
What game is that? Looks comfy.
>>
You're a pleb, mate. There's nothing wrong with that. You don't need to try to expand on your vidya palette if you don't want to. Enjoy what you want.
>>
>How is it 'objectively' bad to like and dislike different things?

There is no problem disliking games within a genre. However, there is plenty bad with blanketing an entire genre as "bad" because of bad examples, ignoring any and all good examples, and being uneducated on the manner, as well as almost assuredly shitting up threads like a retard about games you do not know. Also, Bioshock is not an RPG by any metric, it is a First Person Shooter with random upgrades.
>>
All opinions are subjective. Its fair to not enjoy a genre, but you can't criticize one from an outsiders perspective.
>>
I don't really like them that much
>doesn't have the freedom of a TTRPG
>doesn't have the fun gameplay of an action game
>doesn't have the depth/challenge of a strategy game
Feels like a jack of all trades sort of genre.
>>
>>337960292
Are you shitposting with those memes?
Or reverse shilling?
>>
>>337961927
No, I honestly don't know what game that is.
>>
File: 1463089063594.jpg (504 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1463089063594.jpg
504 KB, 1920x1080
>>337959862
Underrail is one of the best games ever made.
>>
>>337962080
I don't know anything about it but reverse google search gave me King's Road, some in browser mmorpg
>>
>>337962315
>MMO
N-nevermind
>>
>>337962080
Ok well if you image search it will give you the answer
Kings Road, It looks like shit
>>
A lot of /v/ will tell you that you don't belong here for liking anything. Just play what makes you happy. Just don't be a cockbag about it. That goes for people who do like something as well.
>>
>>337962143

Maybe for you, but I simply cannot fathom why games from such a perspective are still made if the goal of an RPG is meant to immerse you as a character in a world. I do not feel immersed in turn based combat based on principles of 90's era games. I do not particularly enjoy it, either. I can appreciate good writing but at that point, it would make more sense to just write a book. How does that make me "plebeian"?
>>
File: 2016-01-05_00003.jpg (464 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-05_00003.jpg
464 KB, 1920x1080
>>337962143
It's what Fallout 3 should have been.
>>
>>337959862
Stuttering Craig please go.
>>
>>337962591
Exactly

/v/ isn't one person (although there tends to be a hivemind) no matter what your taste or what you like, someone is going to call you a cum-guzzling faggot for your tastes
>>
>>337962643
because your iq is low you stupid child
go back to skyrim where mouthbreathers like you belong
>>
>>337962672
It's literally nothing like Fallout beyond being an isometric, post-apocalyptic cRPG with perks. Underrail has a vastly different design philosophy and narrative behind it and, frankly, it's nowhere near as good as Fallout. Age of Decadence has more in common with Fallout than Underrail does.
>>
>>337962896
Excuse me?
>>
>>337962643
If you don't like a certain of genre then don't play it, You don't see me making shitty threads with bait because I don't like racing and sports games.
>>
>>337963020
like i said child
pack your bags and go play mass effect 3, skyrim, fallout 4, dragon age 2 and other games made for people like you
just leave real rpg's alone
>>
File: 1463089203536.png (2 MB, 1268x1434) Image search: [Google]
1463089203536.png
2 MB, 1268x1434
>>337962643
I do not feel immersed in turn based combat based on principles of 90's era games. I do not particularly enjoy it, either. I can appreciate good writing but at that point, it would make more sense to just write a book. How does that make me "plebeian"?

You got a persecution complex going on or something. I've never felt more immersed in any game as I have in games like Age of Decadence and Underrail.
>>
>>337959862
>why is it wrong to dislike video game?

because we HATE video games here!
>>
>>337963212
oops
>>
>>337962643
I'm not >>337962896 but if your criteria for immersion is first person, real time combat then you're either a child or have low I.Q/no imagination.
Can you only get immersed in a book or movie if there written/filmed from first person?
>>
>>337963212
stop wasting your time on this stupid simple minded pleb
>>
>>337962987
Age of Decadence is a visual novel.
>>
>>337962643
>Maybe for you, but I simply cannot fathom why games from such a perspective are still made if the goal of an RPG is meant to immerse you as a character in a world.
Because it's as good as any other persepective. While maybe not as immersive as 1st person, it allows for more appreciation for the enviroment.

>I do not feel immersed in turn based combat based on principles of 90's era games
Combat really doesn't have much to do with immersion. Turn based is just a good system if you want to think strategically and want to have a lot of different options to choose from, which is a core quality of roleplaying games.

>I can appreciate good writing but at that point, it would make more sense to just write a book.
Underrail doesn't have a particulary good writing.

Atmopshere, world building, exploration and different builds are where it shines.

>How does that make me "plebeian"?
It doesn't, but it's a lot of fun when you get into it and you should try it.

>>337962987
>It's literally nothing like Fallout beyond being an isometric, post-apocalyptic cRPG with perks
Shit Anon that's a lot actually. It does have that F1/F2 vibe to it even if I can't exactly explain it.

> Underrail has a vastly different design philosophy and narrative behind it
Yeah it is different, but in terms of gameplay it really feels similiar.

>frankly, it's nowhere near as good as Fallout
I guess it depends what you are looking for. The combat is definetly more complex and imo the exploration in Underrail was better in some aspects.

>Age of Decadence has more in common with Fallout than Underrail does
Age of Decadence also has a vastly different design philosophy. AoD is a niche within a nich and probably the best roleplaying game I ever played in terms of actual roleplaying.
>>
File: 1442519996767.jpg (45 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1442519996767.jpg
45 KB, 600x600
>>337962987
>It's literally nothing like Fallout beyond being an isometric, post-apocalyptic cRPG with perks.
>It's lterally nothing like mario beyond being a 2d platformer, cartoony with powerups
>It's literally nothing like CoD beyond being a FPS, WW2, with killstreaks
>It's literally nothing like Earthbound beyond being a JRPG, quirky writing with turn based combat
>>
>>337963574
>Shit Anon that's a lot actually. It does have that F1/F2 vibe to it even if I can't exactly explain it.

In both games you explore pre-war research and military facilities

In both games there is a religion based on evolving the human race and they follow one abomination as their leader (they also both wear pretty much the same robes)

South Gate station is pretty much a vault.

Junkyard is literally Junktown
>>
>>337963447
This is OP. What I'm saying is, if you have the technology, and your goal is for immersion, why can't you do what Troika almost did here?

https://youtu.be/-Bi02gl9QTo

You have beautiful 3D environments and the ability to swap to first person just for traveling. I don't get immersed in "Retro" style games or such unless the writing is incredibly engaging and the world is very interactive. Otherwise, I don't see why it puts so much effort into pretending to be immersive and decorating environments with static objects serving no purpose.
>>
>>337964278
You see Anon, the are 2 problems with that.

First, as it stands nnow, the major part of the "gaming" audience is not interested in RPGs that actually focus othe roleplaing aspects of vidya. "hardcore" RPGs are a niche, and as a niche they have a proportionally low budget.

The second problem is that, in game development, there is only so much you can include in a game. Everyone would like photorealistic graphics, best combat, good writing and everything, but it's just not possible.

Take a look at Age of Decadence fro example. It's ugly as a sin, combat is simiplistic (but fun imo) but the roleplaying is top notch. But given that it had a low budget andit was more of a side project, it still took 10 fucking years to develop.
>>
>>337961202
There no requirement to even like a genre to critique it as if you would. It's not about opinions, but truth. What's more fun, getting achivements and loot or mastering gameplay and winning against bosses? The latter set is. That's what player's imagine after they quit the game, being in the middle of a cool ass boss fight and min-maxing their character's abilities, talents, and type of stats. This is what the game is properly defined by.
>>
>>337963574
>It does have that F1/F2 vibe to it even if I can't exactly explain it.
I disagree. F1/F2 were much more heavily centered around roleplaying, character interaction, and questing than UR is, which has way more of an emphasis on combat and exploration. They're completely different kinds of post-apocalyptic games with very different narratives/storytelling approaches. AoD, with its stronger emphasis on pacifism and elaborate, reactive quests, comes closer to capturing the spirit of Fallout, imo.
>>
>>337962987
It's better than shitout.
>>
File: disgustedstockphoto.jpg (37 KB, 450x407) Image search: [Google]
disgustedstockphoto.jpg
37 KB, 450x407
>>337964907
>look how contrarian and enlightened I am
>>
>>337959862
Jesus, man. You are insecure as fuck. No one cares if you don't like crpgs as long as you don't go out of your way to insult those who do.
>>
>>337964816

You see, I honestly care very little for the world "reacting" to your decisions. I don't shit my pants and say "Wow, doing X instead of Y sure bit me in the ass! What a game!" I think RPG's have potential, but fuck's sake I want them to do away with the dice rolling and turn taking. RNG shouldn't be a basic tenet of core gameplay.
>>
>>337962143
Fun facts about Underrail:
>the game was originally going to be RtwP, and was only changed to TB after about three years of development
>at one point Styg was seriously considering turning to crowd founding, but in the end decided against it, mainly because KS was not an option for him
>most assets in the game, UI, item art, combat effects, etc. were drawn by Styg himself in MS fucking Paint
>>
>>337965193

Not OP but It's funny because cRPG fanboys CONSTANTLY shit all over non-RPG fanatics. Liking a shooter is a mortal sin.
But God forbid someone like OP have a different opinion.
>>
>>337965617
>the dice rolling and turn taking
>RNG
>>
>>337964816
Fallout and Underrail do have different focuses and designs I agree, but it doesn't stop them from being similiar. The story, setting, atmopshere, faction, mechanics, locations and everything that >>337964195 mentioned.

Hell, Fallout Tactics is even more different in design and focus, but it's still Fallout and feels like Fallout.

>AoD, with its stronger emphasis on pacifism and elaborate
The thing is AoD has no focus on either combat or pacifism.

It covers all bases equally. And the setting is too different for me to fell liek Fallout, even if it's post-apo.
>>
File: BASEDSTYG.png (49 KB, 1418x371) Image search: [Google]
BASEDSTYG.png
49 KB, 1418x371
>>337965808
Another one
>Styg is a pretty cool guy
>>
File: Ali.png (256 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
Ali.png
256 KB, 540x540
>>337959862
>'RPG's' like Bioshock or Dark Souls
>>
>>337965831
cRPG fans are butthurt when trends and gameplay elements from other genres get popular enough to affect cRPGs too and take them in a direction they do not like. Much like how I can't stand that there are RPG elements in literally every goddamn game regardless of genre. Fuck that shit, don't pollute other genres with elements that do not belong there.

Also, cRPG fans in general tend to enjoy adventure and strategy games, so it's not like they refuse every other genre.
>>
>>337966497
>don't pollute other genres with elements that do not belong there.
exactly, don't pollute cRPG games with trends and gameplay elements from other genres
>>
>>337966080
It's such a good feeling that one of my all time favorite games ever is developed by a guy who is actually likable. Now if only the game was a bit more popular. I need that sequel, goddammit.
>>
>>337966771
>I need that sequel, goddammit
Considering that the ending literally all major questiond in the game ended with a cliffhanger, it's bound to happen.

...right?
>>
Downloading Underrail right now, hope it's good and you all didn't trick me again.
>>
>>337966771
not with that dreathful art direction, game should look at least as good as fallout 1
>>
>>337967101
There's a free demo floating around the web.

Buy it, it's so cheap it's basically a steal
>>
File: tchort.jpg (1 MB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
tchort.jpg
1 MB, 1600x1200
>>337967134
To me it looks better, but I understand this is pretty subjective. Either way, art is now handled by a different guy who prefers creating shit in 3D first. Look at this picture for example (final boss spoiler, beware), you can clearly see the difference between his and Styg's style. Apparently he had to waste a lot of time downgrading his art to be more cartoony and fit the game, so personally I expect a pretty huge art style shift if they do a sequel.
>>
File: I did it.jpg (59 KB, 368x128) Image search: [Google]
I did it.jpg
59 KB, 368x128
>>337967773
>>
>>337967078
I sure as fuck hope so, but the story was planned out long before he knew what kind of sales to expect, so...

Either way, there were, are, or yet to be plans for a sequel.
>>
>>337967876
Cool to see you still hang out here, anon.
Haven't seen you posting on the official forums in quite a while so I thought you already moved on to something else.
>>
>>337967773
fallout feels handcrafted, everything fits perfectly
underrail on the other hand looks paper-cut mishmash without stable art direction, your screenshots just proves it
let's just hope they go for handcrafted pre-rendered backgrounds for the next game or at lest or at lest hand drawn 2d backgrounds
>>
File: TurnBasedCombatPreview.gif (257 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
TurnBasedCombatPreview.gif
257 KB, 1024x768
>>337968523
Weeell, it used to be completely hand-drawn 2D, but do you honestly prefer this?

Obviously this one doesn't completely count, the character model is already 3D, but I don't have anything earlier.
>>
File: PortraitWIP.jpg (7 KB, 100x100) Image search: [Google]
PortraitWIP.jpg
7 KB, 100x100
Also, let's for a second be grateful that Styg no longer does portrait art.
>>
File: Why .44 sucks.png (75 KB, 1690x400) Image search: [Google]
Why .44 sucks.png
75 KB, 1690x400
>>337968489
Underrail threads are few and far between on /v/ so I participate when I see one.

I haven't been to the forums because I don't really have much to talk about anymore , given that there was no updates or anything and I played the hell out of Underrail by now.
>>
>>337968864
>but do you honestly prefer this?
heck no
all i want is picture related style in hd, 3d models are fine tho
I don't mind them in poe and tton
>>
>>337959862
Modern RPGs are hardly distinguishable from action games these days. They've lost all nuances of the classic games, so intellect has nothing to do with it. Nor does good taste.
>>
File: ss.jpg (70 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
ss.jpg
70 KB, 640x480
>>337969369
forgot my pic
>>
>he plays rpg's

too scared you'll lose to play anything MP then? don't worry, nobodies good at everything! I'm sure there's something else you're great at, but videogames aren't for you
>>
>>337969058
>and I played the hell out of Underrail by now

Yeah, but have you found the Black Arrow? Have you, anon?
>>
>>337969778
I don't know of a genre that exists where dying means losing your save other than Roguelikes, which are all RPG derivatives.
>>
>>337969486
But you are never going to get that style in this universe. There is simply no room for naturally brightly lit places and environments.
>>
>>337970064
I actually don't remember if I did. I know I've been methodically searching through the whole DeepCaverns to find it but it was so long ago I don't remember if I actually succeed.

Maybe I have my saves somewhere, I will check.
>>
File: 2016-01-20_00022.jpg (479 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-20_00022.jpg
479 KB, 1920x1080
>>337970064
>>337971056
Nope, turns out I didn't.But i-it's ok, it sucks anyway.

Goddamit
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.