[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This game has aged so poorly. I really don't understand
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 138
Thread images: 28
File: morrowind-screenshot_2.jpg (199 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
morrowind-screenshot_2.jpg
199 KB, 1024x768
This game has aged so poorly. I really don't understand why 16 year old me loved it so much.

>that fog and boring, turd looking world
>NPCs had absolutely no variation besides quest givers and gave out the same exact directions and quips errytime
>combat that was boring and shitty
>those guilds that literally devolved to "follow my vague directions to a cave somewhere far from here and kill the people inside"
>the entire design of Vivec (a bunch of towers the color of shit with identical design)
>that fucking shit tier NPC dialogue (writing in books and lore was pretty good tho)
>the entire game is fucking trivialized if you know where any of the good items are placed
>>
>>337952836
> 16 year old
Fucking hell you are ANCIENT
>>
>>337952836
Because 16 year old you had better taste.
Probably because you didn't hadn't discovered /v/ yet.
>>
Not to mention that navigation is just a fucking chore. I don't need fast travel, honestly I think it ruins immersion, but holy FUCK being forced to walk in Morrowind is BORING. I don't want to stare at the UGLY AS FUCK turd world while moving at the speed of a GOD DAMN SNAIL. If you don't fuck with magic and can't get spells like mark and recall, you're FUCKED. Yeah the alvsmi blessing scrolls or whatever existed but it doesn't fix the fact that just moving in this game was pure ass
>>
>>337952836
Probably because it was a good game at the time it came out. You've probably also become a jaded faggot in your old age, as well.
>>
>>337952928
>/v/ kiddies were toddlers when the N64 came out

please stop reminding me of this
>>
>>337952836
Gothic is better
>>
>>337952928
>people born in 1985 are ancient
>>
>>337953897
Yes they are.
Get out of my cuneiform Mongolian scripture forums grandpa.
>>
>>337952836
>This game has aged so poorly.
False.

>that fog and boring, turd looking world
Fog is remedied by in game distance slider or mods. World is not turd looking, your eyes simply function as turd-vision goggles.

>NPCs had absolutely no variation besides quest givers and gave out the same exact directions and quips errytime
NPC dialogue isn't perfect 1:1 simulation of real life, but is far better than almost every other open world RPG, including TES series.

>combat that was boring and shitty
Combat was stat based and a complete expression of your fantasy character as you built them. Inputs and responses are abstracted, for the most part, but reflect diverse characters better, arguably, than later entries.

>those guilds that literally devolved to "follow my vague directions to a cave somewhere far from here and kill the people inside"
The directions were frequently NOT vague, you simply couldn't parse them and/or interpret geography correctly. Also you're simplifying and devaluing context.

>the entire design of Vivec (a bunch of towers the color of shit with identical design)
I actually don't really like Vivec either. Sue me. The palace, temple, and asteroid are nice, but the cantons are a bit boring and claustrophobic.

>that fucking shit tier NPC dialogue (writing in books and lore was pretty good tho)
Not sure what you're on about, books and lore were on par with NPC dialogue. At least you recognized some qualities as being good.

>the entire game is fucking trivialized if you know where any of the good items are placed
This serves the player well. It may be conducive to replayability, it rewards experience, it allows the player to define their progress, it is a roleplaying expression as long as the player doesn't abuse it senselessly.
>>
>>337954012
but i have nowhere else to go
>>
>>337952928
>1985
>ancient

This explains a lot about modern /v/.
>>
>>337954025
>False.
No, it's aged like shit. None of Bethesda games have aged decently. I don't care if you think this shit game is good, but it objectively aged poorly.
>>
>>337952836

>that strutting dunmer

fucking nwah casuals, actually I did not like it that much when it came out either. That's everything to do with horrible Bethesda gameplay and levelling as opposed to morrowinds fantastic and original setting
>>
>>337954491
I played Morrowind, unmodded, to completion, this year.

Better than the majority of modern games, not that modern games are bad.
>>
File: fog in vidya.png (19 KB, 669x218) Image search: [Google]
fog in vidya.png
19 KB, 669x218
>>337952836
>that fog
except the fog is one of the only good things about this game.
>>
> hurr durr i was 16 then durr

try harder
>>
>>337952836
I love this game, but it really is an example of something that can be good at one moment, and bad another. Some games are timeless, but not all.

Morrowind was, or is (to people who played it then) a fantastic game, but nowadays, the only thing it has going for it is the storyline. Most of the dungeons (though admittedly not as shitty as skyrim's infinite loop dungeons) are either-
A) Piece of shit cave or tomb that has nothing in it, including quests
B) Some storyline related place or some random cave with an incredibly missable item that belongs in a meuseum for 10K gold that you didnt find because you didn't have a potion of magic detection

In all honesty, I would like to see the game officially remade, but that's just me. I feel like the game really has aged in all the worst possible ways, and a new coat of paint would remind everyone why it's the best. Mods don't do it justice, we need something official.
>>
>>337955881
>o-only people that played it back then like it!
When will you people put this retarded argument to rest?
Plenty of people like myself played it for first time after having played Oblivion and Skyrim and recognized it as the superior game.
>>
>>337956203
>You People

Look, I'm a Morrowind fan. I replayed it again this year, I often do, it's a yearly thing for me.

But this has come up far too often. It's possible for a GOOD game to age SO badly that how good it is doesn't matter. At this point the only people who play Morrowind are people who PLAYED morrowind already, hardcore Elder Scrolls fanatics that started with 4 or 5, or hipsters.

I recognize that this is the common outlook on the game, and the filename threads with Homer and the rotten sandwich is starting to make sense. The game is TOO fucking old. It's GOOD, but old, it is nearly impossible to get new people into its fandom, because the controls, graphics, and fight gameplay are all so fucking archaeic that its future iterations are much more appealing to the common man. Admit it.
>>
>>337954025
>Fog is remedied by in game distance slider or mods. World is not turd looking, your eyes simply function as turd-vision goggles.
Yeah, with mods. I played this game more than a decade ago, when it released, unlike you who professed to starting it this year.
>>337954025
>NPC dialogue isn't perfect 1:1 simulation of real life, but is far better than almost every other open world RPG, including TES series.
How could you call the fucking dialogue system in Morrowind good? I really don't understand. Again, the vast, VAST majority of the NPCs didn't even have UNIQUE DIALOGUE. The tiny few that did had shit writing, unless that character was part of the main quest. There is a reason why huge projects, like more interesting NPCs, have been made
>Combat was stat based and a complete expression of your fantasy character as you built them. Inputs and responses are abstracted, for the most part, but reflect diverse characters better, arguably, than later entries.
Stop defending shit combat. Yes, it was stat based. But games that came out 20 years before morrowind showed that you can have both a good real time fighting system AND stats. There is no defense for combat strictly being 'stand in place and clicking on the other character until one of you falls over'
>The directions were frequently NOT vague, you simply couldn't parse them and/or interpret geography correctly. Also you're simplifying and devaluing context.
Yes, they frequently WERE vague. I do remember many of the directions being detailed, but many of them were literally "The cavern of thieves is north-west of the bridge :^)" or something and would give you absolutely 0 specifics on how far north-west, or that maybe when they say 'north-west' they mean walking north-west at a 30 degree angle instead of a 75 degree angle, which lands you in a completely different spot.

I'm running out of characters to type. Any way you're condescending as shit
>>
>>337956567
>At this point the only people who play Morrowind are people who PLAYED morrowind already, hardcore Elder Scrolls fanatics that started with 4 or 5, or hipsters.
What a fucking retarded generalization.
I could say that at this point the only people who play Morrowind are people that don't have ADHD or aversion to more than two lines of text and I'd be as right as you are.
>>
>>337954025
>far better than almost every other open world RPG, including TES series.
Gothic came out before Morrowind, anon.
>>
File: Carleton_Phillips.gif (17 KB, 120x174) Image search: [Google]
Carleton_Phillips.gif
17 KB, 120x174
Switching to voice acting killed the rpg genre.

t. Carleton Phillips
>>
>>337957527
My generalization at least covers less than 90% of the human population of the planet.

Just admit that our game has aged poorly and I can move on with my life not being clogged in an internet fight with someone on an anonymous imageboard with a chip on his shoulder.
>>
>>337957649
No, switching to full voice acting killed the rpg genre. Voice acting is hugely immersive, and can add a lot to a game. Plenty of great games like Planescape Torment and more recently Pillars of Eternity have like 50%-60% of dialogue voiced (usually important to the main story, characterization, etc) and the rest is just text. For some autistic reason Bethesda needs every dialogue lined though, and that's where shit went bad
>>
>>337957738
Perhaps if you make a point somewhere instead of a retarded generalization I'd do it.
But you haven't done it because "aged poorly" is 100% subjective, the game won't play like a modern game, but wether that means it's unplayable or not depends entirely on you.
If there are people (that I repeat, didn't play it for the first time when they were kids) that prefer it to modern games then clearly it's not too old to be literally unplayable.
>>
>>337952836
mod it up son. the game doesn't have to look the same as it did when you were 16.
>>
>>337957592
Yes, and Gothic is shit.
>>
>>337958046
you're a retard. please keep your dopey theories to yourself.
>>
>>337958119
not him but you sound autistic
>>
>>337954025
>morrowind defense force
m8
stop
it was fun when you were younger because you didn't know better
>>
>>337958248
Thanks for confirming you're a pleb.
>>
>>337958350
>not him
Sure thing bud.
>>
>>337958119
Yes, aging poorly is subjective, but it's a subjective opinion held by a VERY STARTLING AND REALISTIC AMOUNT OF FUCKING PEOPLE.

Are they stupid, petty, vapid, young? Maybe to all of those individually or at the same time, it doesn't matter. I've simply been here long enough to notice a pattern. This game is loved by people who have been playing it for a LONG time. Very rarely do you see someone say "I just finished Morrowind for the first time ever and I was blown away!"

It just doesn't fucking happen. This is a problem that I've recognized, and one that you refuse to. I'm not saying it's old so it's bad, I'm saying it's old in all the WRONG ways so it's perceived as bad by almost everyone who doesn't already love it.
>>
>>337958350
>>337957738
>>337956567
>>337955881
you're funny
>>
>>337954373
How about the nursing home, you relic
>>
>>337958626
I'm only the last 3. You know it's possible that more than 1 person can disagree with something, right?

Also you sure convinced me with those hot opinions.
>>
File: mgo.jpg (908 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
mgo.jpg
908 KB, 1920x1080
>morrowind
>ugly
>>
>>337952929
This place eats morrowind up, faget
>>
>>337958545
>It just doesn't fucking happen.
I've seen it happen plenty of times.
>>
Oh boy it's one of /v/'s epic 'contrarian opinions' thread.

Did you know that there are no good Sonic the Hedgehog games?
>>
>>337958832
Two years ago yes.
Now if you make a Morrowind thread that doesn't start shitposting from the OP like this one you have barely a 20% chance to have a good thread and not another shitfest.
>>
>>337958915
Except Sonic 06. Probably /v/'s all-time favorite.
>>
>>337958845
Oh so I guess because you, a personal vehemently disagreeing with every single one of my points with absolutely nothing to back your shit up other than a chip on your shoulder (while self centeredly believing that everyone who disagrees with you is the same person) claims that things that I've never seen happen ALL THE TIME, just outside of my vision.

I've about had it with your shit. You have completely lost touch with how the mainstream perceives old games, including and ESPECIALLY Morrowind.
>>
>>337959147
>a personal vehemently disagreeing with every single one of my points with absolutely nothing to back your shit up
Why the fuck are you forcing me to back my shit up when I've told you how you're doing nothing but spouting your opinions and anecdotal evidence and passing them as facts?

Stop writing in caps, it makes you look dumber than you are.
>>
File: 1391876163131.jpg (799 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1391876163131.jpg
799 KB, 1920x1080
>>337958793
>Morrowind has aged poorly
>>
>>337959838
>>337958793
Look guys, once I download MGO, a graphics mod compilation that injects all kinds of new textures, new lighting engines, new water, etc. it looks okay!
>>
File: morrowind.jpg (680 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
morrowind.jpg
680 KB, 1920x1080
>>337958793
>morrowind
>almost all the lighting was done by visible objects that casted light
>the only exemptions were clusters of objects that would normally cast light individually

>skyrimjob
>almost all the lighting is done by disembodied lights
>a whopping total of 1 light casting object can be found in the CK
>even lit candles don't cast light
>>
>>337960228
>implying that Oblivion and Skyrim look good without mods
>>
File: Ry2c0TL.jpg (106 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
Ry2c0TL.jpg
106 KB, 1680x1050
>>337959838
>boring, turd looking world
>>
File: 1453967213027.png (18 KB, 120x120) Image search: [Google]
1453967213027.png
18 KB, 120x120
>>337958639
grandpa getting fucking DESTROYED
>>
File: 42145-4-1338969413.jpg (497 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
42145-4-1338969413.jpg
497 KB, 1920x1080
>>337960228
>a game from 2002 should be on par with a modern game!
>>
>>337954025
>false
>...
man niggers sure are stupid
>>
>>337960510
>>337960361
>Using mods to justify your argument
holy shit you're pathetic
>>
>>337954025
Here comes the Morrowind Defense Force
>>
File: UDlRoJH.jpg (292 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
UDlRoJH.jpg
292 KB, 1920x1080
>>337960742
Just proving that Morrowind is looking good.
>>
>>337961804
>Morrowind has aged poorly
>Nuh uh let me show you these new screenshots from a graphics update did a few years ago
>>
>>337960742
>User created content somehow doesn't prove how great a game is despite the thousands of hours people have poured into modding Morrowind.
>User created content somehow doesn't count despite the fact that Bethesda (until recently) has been one of the most community friendly developers, advocating for the creation of user created content.
>User created content somehow doesn't count in a game's favor when there's thousands of hours of quality bonus content to download at the click of a mouse.

Modding is almost central to Morrowind. The game is great without it, basically perfect with it. You can stop with this little tirade and realize you're wrong already.
>>
>>337952836
It hasn't aged poorly except for some graphics.

But just get the Graphics and Sound overhaul 3.0 and you're good to go.

The gameplay remains excellent if you treat it as a pen-and-paper RPG.

Morrowind still gives you an unrivaled degree of freedom compared to other RPGs.

What people don't seem to understand is that while a chunk of the game is RNG-based, it is a very complex and detailed kind of RNG.

You swing and miss. Why?

Variables taken into account:

The type of weapon used and your Skill with that kind of weapon along with the type of attack you did compared against the type of armor worn on the part of the body.

The skill of the target using that type of armor.

The available stamina of the attacker.

The available stamina of the defender.

The weapon skill of the defender.

The ammount of available light to see.

Any buffs, debuffs, or mdofications of any of the above variables.

That's a single swing. It's like playing a very detailed pen and paper RPG without having to crunch the numbers yourself.

Once you start considering that this level of detail is in *everything* including the powerful and extensive crafing and spell system.... well the possibilities are limitless.
>>
>>337958046
I don't know, it actually bothers me more when some things are voice acted and others aren't. I'm an all or nothing kind of person.
>>
File: 42145-2-1409507793.jpg (447 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
42145-2-1409507793.jpg
447 KB, 1920x1080
>>337961949
Morrowind could've been a forgotten game that people would mention from time to time. But it has been 14 years and people still play it, mods are still coming out and the game looks better than ever.
>>
>>337962495
Yeah it's kinda jarring in Morrowind. First few NPCs are voiced and then nothing. Makes it feel so lifeless and quiet.
>>
>>337955209
Well you know,Silent Hill is a horror game,morrowind is an rpg
>>
>>337960228
Are you seriously sitting here and shitting on the graphics in a game from 14 years ago and then ripping on people for using a graphics update mod????
>>
>>337961964
>User created content reflects a game's inherent quality

A blank sheet of paper ain't Monet, nigga.
>>
>>337962725
considering that even for the time Morrowind looks like a pile of shit, yes. Plus the argument is that Morrowind hasn't aged badly because people are fixing it NOW
>>
>>337955209
I cringe every single time I see someone post a modded screenshot of Morrowind

Being able to see everything really shatters your immersion
>>
>>337952928
in 2003 I was 22
im 35. not even old.
Game has aged better than your mom
>>
File: ayy lmao.png (17 KB, 222x219) Image search: [Google]
ayy lmao.png
17 KB, 222x219
>>337963278
>35
>mom joke
>>
File: thirr river_roa dyr 2.jpg (316 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
thirr river_roa dyr 2.jpg
316 KB, 1920x1080
>>337962913
>considering that even for the time Morrowind looks like a pile of shit
Compared to what games?

>>337963140
I like it tbqh.
>>
>>337962913
At the time I thought it looked great.

This game was contemporary to shit like tribes 2, halo 1, CS 1.6, neverwinter nights etc.

It looks as good or better than those games and despite the fog had better draw distances than most stuff out at the time.
I was actually shocked at how good the water effects looked when I first saw them. Nothing else had water reflections that looked like that.

And even when they were forced to use fog, they worked it into the aesthetic of the world so that it wasn't jarring or un-immersive.

Today the graphics are dated, but OF COURSE THEY ARE. DUH. IT'S OLD.

But the core of the game itself is still great fun and the world + the mechanics are remarkably detailed and well-crafted.
>>
File: le_high_cat.png (74 KB, 226x153) Image search: [Google]
le_high_cat.png
74 KB, 226x153
I don't think Morrowind is a bad game, but the lengths MDF will go to defend it is cringy
>>
File: payne.gif (2 MB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
payne.gif
2 MB, 200x200
>>337963278
>35
>ebin mom jokes
Yeah anon, 35.
>>
>>337963925
>JSRF
>RE Remake
>Kingdom Hearts
>Baldur's Gate DA
>Metroid Prime

That's just going down the Wikipedia list. There's games that came out before Morrowind that look better, too. I'm sure you'll have some excuses for all these though
>>
>>337964269
>>337964531
>>337962739
>>337960447
>ebin
>cringey
>internet ebonics
>reaction images
>hahaha destroyed!

Well, my coffee break is over so I'm out. Abandon ten. Have fun in remedial English 10, anon.
>>
File: 1270085444946.jpg (95 KB, 500x600) Image search: [Google]
1270085444946.jpg
95 KB, 500x600
31 year old here. Prefer Daggerfall and Oblivion for maximum comfort.

>tfw you run a modern softsynth through dosbox
With mouselook, some key rebinds and the right stats, Daggerfall can be surprisingly agile. Very fluid and fun. And those dungeons are just Gygaxian.
>>
>>337964228
>Mechanics
>Not dated

I'll give you the details and worldcrafting, though. Fuck I wish fantasy games would just throw some weird shit in nowadays
>>
>>337952836
>Tfw can't get past the dated combat feel to enjoy the game
help
>>
>>337965050
I heard the main dungeons in daggerfall were really good but the random generated ones were garbage. True?
>>
File: yea.jpg (3 KB, 116x125) Image search: [Google]
yea.jpg
3 KB, 116x125
>>337965009
>>
>>337965009
>Look at me, I'm so above all of this
>Lol gotta get back to my job guys bye

holy shit you couldn't be more of a faggot if you tried. Do you want a goddamn medal for being a basic functioning human being?
>>
>>337954025
I love Morrowind but fucking stop with the defense force shit. It's not a perfect game and it looks like ass.
>>
agreed. daggerfall is clearly the best tes.
>>
File: qpPuGgC.jpg (4 KB, 225x224) Image search: [Google]
qpPuGgC.jpg
4 KB, 225x224
>>337965009
>pretentious Morrowind fanboy
Walking stereotype
>>
>>337965232
If you enjoy roguelikes, you'll enjoy Daggerfall's dungeons. There's a large amount of verticality that's missing in the sequels, which may be disorienting. You always have to be prepared, and even that's not always enough. But that's the fun of it.
>>
>>337965136
see this:>>337962095

What I don't buy is this notion that game mechanics have somehow 'advanced'

A game is a game. Games made in one era look different from games made in another era.

But from where do you get this notion another style being 'dated'? Where do you get this concept of progress? Progress towards what?

What's the endgame here? Where does this end?
>>
>>337964876
I haven't played any of those but I do remember three 2002 titles; Jedi Outcast, Harry Potter 2 and GTA 3. They don't seem too superior. Jedi Outcast is the one that looks the best, but it's not an open world game, after all.
>>
>>337964876
None of these are open world.

Dark alliance is an awful game.
>>
It has aged poorly I agree, but only because the current "age" and the 16 year olds (i.e /v/) of today expects handholdy, dumb downed, streamlined games and can't handle old games.
Same people probably can't handle Fallout 1 & 2 either.
>>
Every year as the average /v/ poster shits on morrowind for being outdated, ugly, or being worse than TES IV and V with more frequency I have to wonder just how often people who frequent /v/ several years ago left and have been replaced with new age faggots who get their opinions of videogames off youtube or unironically donate to twitch streams. And I wonder why I haven't left yet.
>>
>>337965797
>What's the endgame here? Where does this end?
Games playing themselves. Given the current trajectory.
>>
>>337966638
We haven't left yet because the only alternative is reddit and those fuckers are dogmatic ass-hats.
>>
>>337962495
Fagget
>>
>>337966448
Speaking of FO1 and 2, they both start pretty poorly and take a little time to get comfortable with when going back from modern games.

This turns people off pretty immediately and they don't bother to even understand why they're good games.
I think Morrowind suffers from a similar "problem", not so much starting poorly, but the start-game where you're shit and slow.

Back then complex games were understood to have a learning curve, nowadays it is all about catering to the player by dumbing down shit and holding their hand, trying to make them feel as comfortable as possible at all times.
>>
>>337954025

i still hold morrowind to be my favourite game of all time but hes right, i dont think i could replay it again now as it has aged so terribly
>>
>>337960361
>>337959838
>>337958793

i bet this runs at 10fps too
>>
File: U4_12_01.png (7 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
U4_12_01.png
7 KB, 640x400
This game has aged so incredibly well. I really understand why 12 year old me loved it so much.

>that 4 color pallete and awesome, pixel looking world, enriched fully by my own imagination
>NPCs each had their own name, job, health, and usually other stuff, actually it was pretty sweet
>combat that was a tactical grid with several weapon types, also like 10 different spells including magic fields and different types of fireballs, all of which were useful in their own way
>those quests that literally involved figuring out a bunch of complicated directions, or hidden places in the world, with no real hints or indications of why you were even doing it
>the entire design of Yew, which was a maze of forests that you couldn't clearly see through, with lots of cool secrets
>that NPC dialogue that required you to figure out what to ask NPCs about, with no hints except in the world itself
>the entire game is fucking trivialized if you have already played it...like every other game

I have to face reality, Ultima 4 is still the best game I've ever played.
>>
>playing ESO
>several of the morrowind cities are scaled down, still get a nice nostalgia buzz
>skyrim shit is for the most part indistinguishable from the 2011 versions

>cyrodiil is a massive battlefield, most of the towns are just ruins you ride through on your way to capture the next keep
>cloud ruler temple is destroyed

;_;
>>
File: Space-HarrierUS-Front.jpg (405 KB, 1419x1397) Image search: [Google]
Space-HarrierUS-Front.jpg
405 KB, 1419x1397
REAL NIGGA GAME RIGHT HERE

'97 baby here but this game STILL beats anything I've ever played.
This, After Burner II, and Outrun.
>>
>>337953453
Ich glaube ich hau dir mal ein Paar auf's Maul.
Aber du hast Recht.
>>
>/v/ suddenly hates Morrowind and Bethesda

What happened bros?
>>
File: Clipboard06.png (1003 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
Clipboard06.png
1003 KB, 1280x800
>>337969023
One of the things that isn't apparent to people who didn't own old RPGs, is that they often came with guidebooks and feelies and lore descriptions, which were entirely independent of the software. So if someone today were to just pop the game into an emulator, they're missing out on a ton of inferred content and clues that would've been apparent to the person who bought the game. The Goldbox D&D games were notorious for this, saving dialogue space by referring to page numbers in printed material.
>>
File: 00014.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
00014.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>337952836
Really? I thought it looked okay, clearly old, and I like to use face Mods but overall I don't find it particularly painful.

Every time I go back to Morrowind every few years, it takes a couple of hours to adapt and then it becomes as comfy as ever.
>>
>>337969962
>Bethesda
hated for a while
>Morrowind
Fags like me finally dare to be honest and say it's kinda lame to play.
>>
>morrowind
>not about the story
/thread
>>
File: morrowshit.png (748 KB, 1021x920) Image search: [Google]
morrowshit.png
748 KB, 1021x920
ITT
>>
>>337971667
"unremovable strap" always gets me
>>
>>337952836
Why on earth would someone create a thread specifically to complain about a 14 year old game that no one forced them to play and then proceed to post in it for 100+ post and 4 hours of their lives?
>>
>>337969962
Old people got old and left
Young people who hate old games got old enough to shitpost on /v/
>>
File: 1458858143705.jpg (193 KB, 421x536) Image search: [Google]
1458858143705.jpg
193 KB, 421x536
>>337971667
>the official "i couldnt figure out how to level up and got rekt by mudcrabs so i went back to playing skyrim" image

the fact that the game still shits on casuals 13 years later just makes me love the game that much more
>>
>>337974287
Nice variation of of the emergency response override "casualbaby pls go"
>>
>>337974545
>knows that he needs to go
>still here
every time
>>
>>337974641
You really got BTFO
>>
>>337954012
you are overusing that meme and it's becoming less funny the more I see it.
>>
>>337965232
There are dungeon's that you literally cannot escape without teleport or levitate.
There dungeons so huge you can get lost for hours.

And they are not randomely generated but procedually.
>>
>>337969962
Same thing that happened that made the board hate on D2 and like D3
which is this;
>>337974093
>>
>>337974287
Your response couldn't be more predictable
>>
>>337960742

>b-but mods!

consolefags at their finest

I best you are enjoying call of duty, a game born literally out of quake engine which was literally modded to make call of duty, you fucking faggot
>>
>>337974287
Oh it's a special thing, I had my cousin try the game a few years ago, I think he was 13 at the time, he couldn't figure out how to give his papers to that guard in Census office, he kept dragging them out of his inventory and dropping them on the floor after the 3rd time he decided that the game is broken and gave up.
>>
>>337952836
Because all Bethesda games are lazily cobbled pieces of shit that use sub-par graphics for its time.

The only reason early footage of Fallout 4 wasn't bullshots for a change was because they looked like shit to begin with.
>>
>>337971667
>skyrim was my first tes
>somehow nostalgia goggles make me think Morrowind and Daggerfall are great games despite never playing them until just two years ago
>>
the combat is shit, i thought it was acceptable before i played other RPGs now i can never go back.

they could really learn from other games.
>>
>>337976329
Yeah, people tell this lie a lot. It doesn't get any more believable the more it's repeated.
>>
>>337953074
boots of blinding speed and a simple jump spell fix the slow as fuck pace almost inmediately
>>
>>337976329
But that can't be, according to many anons only people that played Morrowind when they were kids like it now.
Stop destroying their made up evidence.
>>
File: smug-kid-23369189.jpg (134 KB, 957x1300) Image search: [Google]
smug-kid-23369189.jpg
134 KB, 957x1300
The real difference between morrowind and skyrim is the player.
Intelligent , independent, and creative players will have fun making new builds and playstyles, juggling numbers around and studying the lore.
Skyrim players are casuals who want the "epic" factor. They want this predetermined shit where they get to be the dragongodman and they are the best and the never lose and mommy makes a plate of big boy green bean casserole for them every night. To analogize, morrowind players are like chefs. They enter the kitchen, and experiment with new spices and flavors. Skyrim players go to a restaurant and order the daily special.
My favorite part of morrowind is being creative with my character. My most recent one I did an acrobatic marksman who uses chameleon magic. When I got strong enough I would go to different towns and kill as many people as I could without being seen. Just flying around from rooftop to rooftop and picking people off, the whole time jacking off to the thought that you cant do this shit in skyrim
>>
File: 1462980518461.gif (3 MB, 640x266) Image search: [Google]
1462980518461.gif
3 MB, 640x266
>>337953897
>there are people still posting on this website over the age of thirty
>>
>>337976935
>Yeah, people tell this lie a lot
Never played TES until I played Skyrimjob on a friends PC. I even played a fucking argonian since i knew nothing about the lore and thought they should be the default "dragonborn" on account of being scaly dragon-like lizards.
>>
File: 1409083999954.jpg (36 KB, 223x349) Image search: [Google]
1409083999954.jpg
36 KB, 223x349
>>337952836
Still one of the best games to play as a wizard
>>
Most good games aged poorly

Look at 95% of the PS1 line up.
>>
>>337977531
oh fuck off
>>
>>337965009
Alone in the break room browsing 4chan because nobody else will talk to you for being a mouth breather. But hey, at least you're assistant manager of the third largest best buy in the city
>>
>>337979627
epic
>>
>>337980640
>mouth breather

I got that reference!! xD [+1]
>>
I started the game for the first time a couple of days ago.

I made a Breton, with the Lady sign and the following skills;

Major Skills
Light Armor
Long Blade
Block
Destruction
Alteration

Minor Skills
Speechcraft
Mercantile
Acrobatics
Atlethics
Mysticism

I mainly use a sword though because the only spells I have are Fire Bite, Shield and Water Walking.

Where can I get good spells?

Also how do I level up my Mercantile skill? I bought a lot of stuff but it doesnt gain any exp.
>>
Is there a game on /v/ that's more shitposted than Morrowind?
>>
>>337982914
For Mercantile I think you need to haggle outside of the agreed price to improve the skill.
Thread replies: 138
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.