[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the best elder scrolls?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 17
File: 1439459943864.jpg (120 KB, 630x945) Image search: [Google]
1439459943864.jpg
120 KB, 630x945
What is the best elder scrolls?
>>
>>337931682
You very well know no one is gonna talk about the topic at hand and will just shitpost about your pic.

I don't mind though, she qt even if she's your typical feminist and actually can't sing for shit on live events.
>>
>>337931682
Daggerfall
>>
>>337931682
Pleb here, who is that semen demon?
>>
Morrowind.
Daggerfall is second.

Everything else is trash.
>>
>>337932182
Lauren Mayberry
>>
Daggerfall for dungeon crawling and the most pure RPG experience.
Morrowind for the best balance between complexity and size.

Oblivion has the best quests and characters, but the rest of the game is so utterly shit that those can't make up for it, and Skyrim ranges from mediocre to terrible all throughout. Almost zero high points.
>>
>>337932365
I'm inclined to agree with this.

My list (I've played every single game on this list):

>Daggerfall
>Morrowind
>Skyrim
>Redguard
>Arena
>Oblivion

Skyrim was my first elder scrolls game btw so nostalgia goggles are off
>>
>>337931682
They're all good.

Main problem is that none of them aged well.
>>
I only played Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim - and I still claim that Morrowind is best one.

Since then, it is only downfall.

But since TES games pretty much hold monopoly over third/first person sandbox RPGs, with large dose of freedom and tons of customization/modding capabilities, I dont really have much choice.

The only series that can rival TES is Gothic one, but player actions were much more restricted in Gothic games, not to mention being forced to play pre-made character.
>>
should've made a Mirror's Edge Catalyst trhread since this is the theme song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwonWE_fGVc
>>
File: lauren ass.jpg (3 MB, 3861x2574) Image search: [Google]
lauren ass.jpg
3 MB, 3861x2574
>>337932365
>>337932521
Are Morrowind and Daggerfall too dated to get full enjoyment out of them?

I thought about buying Morrowind, but I'm not sure how much my shit laptop can handle in terms of mods.
>>
>>337932750
At first I couldn't stand Daggerfall/Morrowind.
I tried to play them but couldn't get past the graphics.
After a while on a boring day, I decided to give Daggerfall a proper try and actually try to immerse myself. Next thing I know I've been playing it non stop for two weeks and spent at least 5 hours looking for that FUCKING LICH IN SENTINEL CASTLE REEEEEEEEEEEEE

After Daggerfall, Morrowind was extremely easy to get into. After those two, Oblivion felt like a massive step down and I just couldn't play it. I repeated to myself 'Remember how great Daggerfall turned out to be?' So I forced myself to go through the game but eventually just gave up.After the metropolis that is Daggerfall city having an Imperial city the size of the marketplace in Daggerfall I just couldnt do it. I might try again later.
>>
>>337932750

The only mods you need for Morrowind are fan-made patches, to be honest. Game was pretty balanced back then and still is. Rest are details and cosmetics, mostly and unless you would try to run some serious graphics overhauls (which dont fit the game at all anyway), you shouldnt have any problem.

Morrowind didnt really dated - it is still as nice to play as it was before. Daggerfall (aka Buggerfall) might be harder to jump into, if you didnt played it while being younger, but you dont risk anything with trying Morrowind.

If it is your first time, just dont turn Tribunal expansion on, until you will feel ready.
>>
>>337932750
Daggerfall is the only one that could be considered dated. It still holds up incredibly well provided you don't go into it with the expectations of riveting dialogue (most everything is pre-generated rather than hand-crafted.

Morrowind has a slow as fuck start, and I guarantee you it'll bore you for a little bit until you get sucked into the world, but once you get into you absolutely won't be stopping. Also if you install the guaranteed hit mod you're a filthy casual who doesn't want to take the five seconds it requires to learn the combat, so I'll explain it.

If your combat skill is shit, you will be incredibly shit at it. A skill of 35 or higher will make sure you don't miss to often unless you're fighting high level enemies. A skill of 50 in marksman will guarantee you don't miss unless you're targeting special opponents. Skills raise based on success. KEEP YOUR FUCKING FATIGUE UP LOW FATIGUE WILL MAKE ALMOST EVERYTHING YOU DO MORE LIKELY TO FAIL. That's about it.
>>
>>337933193
The bugs were one of the reasons I couldn't get into Daggerfall at first, but after a while I was so immersed in it that the occasional bug became invisible to me.
>>
>>337931682
Lavren a cute!
A cute!!!
>>
>>337932641
>Skyrim was my first elder scrolls game btw so nostalgia goggles are off
yeah but also means you couldn't appreciate the games for what they were at the time or release, because they would feel retro or outdated to you.

I started with morrowind, best one for me. the two following just got progressively casual and less challenging, but I did enjoy them
>>
File: classic bethesda.png (1 MB, 892x823) Image search: [Google]
classic bethesda.png
1 MB, 892x823
>>337933158
Pic related.
Daggerfall city compared to Whiterun
>>
>>337933834
>also means you couldn't appreciate the games for what they were at the time or release, because they would feel retro or outdated to you.
I mentioned that in this post >>337933158
But after getting into them, they are easily my favourite. The list I posted was from best to worst
>>
>>337931682
>Morrowind
>Oblivion
>Skyrim = Daggerfall
>shit
>Arena
Morrowind has the best setting, and the combat isn't really that bad if you're not autistic about your skill leveling. Outside of bland combat, mods can fix like 99% of morrowind's problems.
Skyrim gets the atmosphere pretty well and has the least shit combat of all of them, also some pretty great mods fix most of the bad shit outside of quests. Oblivion is better in general, even if the world is horribly generic. Daggerfall is dated as hell but really fun to dick around in.
Arena is repetitive, boring, and stupid easy to break even by elder scrolls standards.

Related question, how are the spinoffs? Which ones are worth playing and which ones aren't?
>>
>>337933193
>If it is your first time, just dont turn Tribunal expansion on, until you will feel ready.
why did you say this? is it because of the DB attacks after rest after certain levels?
it's actually a good thing because you can loot them for some expensive loot
>>
>>337933332

I guess that the biggest problem that people have with Morrowind combat is that they dont expect it to be dice-based as it really is. Once they realize that, it is much easier.

While I didnt had problem with dice-roll approach, I could only wish that one day, devs would implement system where skill affects weapon speed, general handling and ability to perform more and more complicated maneuvers instead of Oblivion and Skyrim "skill affects only weapon damage".
>>
eso i just wish i didnt have other players shitting up my experience
>>
>>337934030
Redguard is amazing and I really recommend it.
It feels sort of like Tomb Raider set in the Elder scrolls universe.
And its the only game set during the rise of the 3rd empire
>>
Morrowind.

It's a flawed piece of shit, but at least it's a flawed piece of shit made by Bethesda when they actually cared.
>>
>>337931682
>mfw when I actually enjoy CHVRCHES unironically but also don't bother listening to the personal lives of the members

I just like the style of music, man
>>
>>337933997
it's a shame I can't go back and play retro games like that, I been playing games for so long I can't often handle going back to old games unless they have a specific nostalgic feel for me, Like loz alttp or old sonic games.
I can't even play morrowind because it feels too dated for me now.
>>
>>337931682

Skyrim, easily

everything else looks like trash and/or is unplayable
>>
>>337932641
>Redguard

???
>>
>>337933878
Key to map:
>Brown/Grey
General building, house, castle, wall, garden, cementary. Can enter most of those (Yes even the battlements of the wall)

>Green
Tavern, can't just sleep on the street or you will be arrested. You can also buy food and drink there and they are free if you are a member of a knightly order. Taverns are essential when travelling somewhere more than 2 days away.

>Orange
Shops and Services, lots of shit, too much to list here

>Blue
Any guild building, temple or knightly order.

Note: dark brotherhood and thieves guild services are hidden in one of the houses, their location revealed when you are a member and travel to the city.

Side note: A secret witch coven located somewhere south east
>>
Skyrim>Oblivion=Morrowind I guess, its definitly the one I have played the most. It would be exactly the opposite if you were talking about vanilla TES games. Oblivion=Morrowind>Skyrim
>>
>>337934794
Spinoff to original series, look it up it amazing.

>>337934456
Dont get yourself into that mentality, just try to immerse yourself and soon the graphics wont matter. Its the best advice i can give
>>
>>337934090
>While I didnt had problem with dice-roll approach, I could only wish that one day, devs would implement system where skill affects weapon speed, general handling and ability to perform more and more complicated maneuvers instead of Oblivion and Skyrim "skill affects only weapon damage".

Fucking this. I'm sick of RPGs where my character doesn't actually feel like they're any better with their weapons. Mages get new spells but even that's not really great. I want some limitations on how well the character can preform in combat.

>>337934194
Are the others worth checking out? Where do you even find the spinoffs?

>>337934562
>caring about graphics
wew
>>
>>337934090
I wish they would and I don't see why they don't implement a choice at the beginning of the game what type of skill base and levelling you want.
Like old school dice roll morrowind, or usage levelling like skyrim.
can't change after starting the game.
I don't think it would be that hard to do.

another thing that gets me about levelling in rpg's, mmo's or even most action games nowadays. Is that they have defence or damage based on the item, i.e armor and weapon.
so say for instance, in skyrim, my favourite looking sword cosmetically was the steel sword, but it is a low level item so late game I and anyone who plays the game is walking around in deadric weapons and armor, you have to.
it's quite annoying.
>>
File: Shadow key.jpg (81 KB, 800x543) Image search: [Google]
Shadow key.jpg
81 KB, 800x543
>>337931682
>>
>>337935017
The other spinoffs are either essentially a Daggerfall DLC, Java mobile games, a book and a shitty MMO
>>
>>337935232
>a shitty MMO
wish i didn't buy that before it went f2p
>>
>>337934937
It looks really bizarre, but interesting, also pirates is always a plus
>>
File: 1428369573948.jpg (52 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
1428369573948.jpg
52 KB, 800x533
I had this in my pictures folder. Is it the same girl? She's pretty qt.
>>
>>337935451
ESO is f2p?
Since when?

Also
>falling for MMO bait
I pretend that ESO just doesnt exist, there is so much wrong with it lore wise and there is a nearly infinite amount of contradictions
>>
File: Maymay.jpg (109 KB, 522x763) Image search: [Google]
Maymay.jpg
109 KB, 522x763
>>337932182
LAVREN
>>
>>337933776
>You will never cradle her in your arms and care for her as a loving father

Why live?
>>
>>337935451
>>337935642

I thought people were agreeing that it was pretty good after that fuckhuge update, or whatever.

I never played it so I guess I wouldn't know.
>>
>>337935514
Try it, if you dont like it, the worst case scenario is that you dont play it anymore.
The only downside is that I never learned how to fence properly.
But lore wise the game is great because it lets you see Tamriel (a small part of it anyway) while it was being conquered by Tiber Septim
>>
>>337931682
>Fags making lists

This is about the one best Elder Scrolls. And it's Oblivion.
>>
>>337935451
Not very smart are you
>>
>>337935642
sorry not f2p, they got rid of the sub model.
that pissed me off too, they promised there will be no pay gates, 1st DLC the scrap the sub and whack a huge pay gate price on DLC.
the game wasn't too bad, MMO's are not my thing, I cant stand the grind, just like to play games for fun.
I gave it a chance because it is TES.
I played the whole one side of a faction story on my own, apart from public raids. come back to it one day after getting into raiding with people and they had respec me, I couldn'r remember how to respec my build and have never gone back to it.
>>
>>337935836
No amount of content can fix the damage they did to the lore.

>Cyrodill not a jungle
>Morrowind-Black Marsh alliance
>The alliances in general
Those are just the most cringeworthy ones

>>337936001
Well, all lists have a number once, and hence all lists show which one is best.
>>
>>337931682
Oblivion
>>
>>337936018
>Not very smart are you
it's not about the money, I wasted more money on games. it's the player base and lousey practises they had.
First it is full of bots so finding materials and loot is tough, then when they get the bots under control they let everyone in out it without a sub and it just gets over populated by scammers and shillers.
>>
>>337936124
Why would they put a capitol in a jungle anyway?
>>
>>337936335
It was built by the Elves, and you know what elves are like.
Good thing based tiber got rid of that damn jungle
>>
File: 1455203456623.jpg (218 KB, 1365x2048) Image search: [Google]
1455203456623.jpg
218 KB, 1365x2048
>>337935625
yes
>>
>>337931682
M O R R O W I N D
O N
R I
R W
O O
W R
I R
N O
D N I W O R R O M
>>
>>337936458

Tiber had poor imagination - man gets access to Construction Set and make cool Roman jungle setting into boring fairytale countryside.
>>
Who is the strongest? Neverarine, champion of Cyrodil or Dragon born?
>>
>>337937661
Nerevarine obviously.
The nigga is immortal and possibly has the souls of 2 gods in his possession
>>
>>337936124
>Cyrodill not a jungle
to be fair, this has been ruined since Oblivion
>>
>>337934072
>>337933193

If it's his first character, he will probably be pretty weak and the assassin can be a challenge.
>>
>>337938051
Oblivion is set after Cyrodil stopped being a jungle tho. Tiber made it into a generic grassland.
>>
>>337937661

Canon-wise, Champion replaces Sheogorath at his position, so he/she could technically be more powerful than Nerevarine - until you count obligatory madness.

Nerevarine traveled to the infamous land of serpents and got lost, but everyone knows that he/she probably rule it with iron fist with the sheer power of being badass. Plus, he/she is basically immortal.

Never really finished Skyrim so I dont know, what exactly happens to Dragonborn after the story.
>>
>>337937661
Game-wise? Neverarine

Lore-wise? It's hard to say. CoC is a literal god, Dragonborn is the avatar of a god, and Neverarine is just the reincarnation of one. I think CoC being a literal god makes him stronger though.

>>337938324
>after the story
ohohoho
>>
>>337938324
>what exactly happens to Dragonborn after the story.
Everyone keeps on ignoring him and the fact that he saved the world and is also half dragon or something.
The ending is not very rewarding.
Even if you learn all the spells and get max level on all magic shit and get a shitton of magicka you can never be as powerful as you could get in Morrowind/Daggerfall magic wise.
I mean, in Daggerfall you can literally make your own spells. IF you are powerful enough you can literally make a spell that disintegrates everything in proximity
>>
>>337938441

>Game-wise? Neverarine

Come to think of, Nerevarine was never restricted by engine as much as Champion or Dragonborn. After all, you could pump your stats into level of 10k+, while Oblivion had really low limits.

>ohohoho

After the main quest line. Better?

I never finished it anyway, always stopping around embassy mission, with three characters. Skyrim is only playable when you completely ignore the main quest line anyway. And mod it to the engine limits, of course.

>>337938159

Exactly why I mentioned turning it off for first players.

Besides, having Bloodmoon turned on brings changes from Tribunal anyway (like improved journal).
>>
>>337939094
>After the main quest line. Better?
I really just meant that there's not really anything post main-quest, they kind of just continue to pretend you don't exist. Guards say some choice dialog and you can yell a ghost into existence and that's about it.
>>
>>337931682
Why is /v/ obsessed with this girl
>>
>>337939360
That's /mu/, champ.
>>
>>337938659

>I mean, in Daggerfall you can literally make your own spells. IF you are powerful enough you can literally make a spell that disintegrates everything in proximity

The removal of spell crafting was awful decision. Of course, some ditors and many casual players welcomed the change, since they refuse to think on their own and want to have everything simplified to the max (which is why TES VI will probably have only three skills - warrior, mage and thief).

Other group, the most retarded, want to have everything BALANCED. Because "muh sword cant be weaker than sum faggot spulls!" and "muh minmaxing". In single player RPG.

SINGLE.

PLAYER.

ROLE.

PLAYING.

SANDBOX.

GAME.

Holy shit.

(Surprisingly, the shitty Two Worlds II game had one of the better systems for spell crafting).
>>
File: 523423421.jpg (132 KB, 750x499) Image search: [Google]
523423421.jpg
132 KB, 750x499
>>337939554
/mu/ is obsessed with pic related
>>
>>337933878
daggerfall city may be a real city scale and populace but holy fuck if it was shitty and boring.
>>
>>337939839
No, because it felt like an actual city. Whiterun felt like a fucking truck stop compared to daggerfall

>>337939598
I pray everyday that they will re-introduce custom spells, probably won't happen but I can't lose hope
>>
File: TES general.png (2 MB, 1043x1490) Image search: [Google]
TES general.png
2 MB, 1043x1490
>>337940153

>I pray everyday that they will re-introduce custom spells, probably won't happen but I can't lose hope

>Hello, Todd "Mountain Climber" Howard from this side and welcome to presentation of our newest game, "TES VI: Skyrim II: The Call of Scrolling: Dragon Warfare". First of, I wanted to announce that we decided to aim for even wider audience than before, so our game will be released on phones too, so make sure to buy newest iPhone 15 for proper gaming experience. Aside from optimizing controls for touch screen and Kinect (TM), we decided to get rid of this whole skill mess and focus on perks only (whole 15 in total, so you so called "meen-maxers" wont have problems with proper balance of your builds!). Now, you only have to choose one of three options to add points to: Warrior, Mage and Thief and your character statistics will accommodate to fit your choice. We will also remind you, if you decide to put too many points into one category, to keep your character balanced. Magic was reduced to perks and we got rid of weaknesses tables, for our casual audience pleasure. The race selection will not be present in release version, allowing players to create only human males - the female options as well as whole two new races will be available as DLCs shortly after launch. We all hope that every true RPG fan will rejoice those new changes to the genre. Happy climbing!
>>
>>337939360
Because a guy kept shouting at the lead singer to "marry him" after every single song. Then she destroyed him by calling him out, now /v/ is triggered because /v/ hates strong women. They only like subservient 2D women.
>>
>>337940449
Do you happen to know the original's source?
>>
LAVREN!!!!!
>>
>>337941432

>Then she destroyed him by calling him out

Really?

I thought that a singer shouldnt be too much shocked by obsessive fans. After all, they are pretty common.

>>337941463

No, I found it at /vg/ general.
>>
>>337942629
>Really?
That's one night, though. I've heard she deals with shit like that from guys all the time. Apparently the next show they did a guy threw a jock strap full of condoms at her on stage.
>>
>>337942629
damn
>>
>>337943187

>Apparently the next show they did a guy threw a jock strap full of condoms at her on stage.

7 year old kids sometimes throw dirt or paper balls at girls they love, you know?
>>
File: when dat ass is noided.jpg (12 KB, 289x296) Image search: [Google]
when dat ass is noided.jpg
12 KB, 289x296
>>337935739
>>337935739
/mu/ loves you Lauren

pls stay noided
>>
>>337943187
And yet you don't see the majority of singers freak out at people about that stuff. Guy singers are going to get underwear, dildos, whatever thrown at them as well
>>
Skyrim

All of the other ones look like trash some 12 year old made in Unity. It only looks good for 30 year old virgins who never leave their homes and bask in the nostalgia of ancient games.
>>
Morrowind, and Oblivion was still better than Skyrim
Also Chvrches' first album was okay, the second one was boring as shit though
>>
File: Daggerfall Roll.png (1 MB, 2000x2500) Image search: [Google]
Daggerfall Roll.png
1 MB, 2000x2500
>>337931682
Daggerfall tied with Morrowind
>daggerfall for dungeon crawlan and role playan
>morrowind for modding and comfy
>>
>>337932641
>Skyrim was my first elder scrolls game
Same here. Eached game got better as I played from newest to oldest. But fuck Arena is complete garbage.
>>
>>337947404
Arena is borderline unplayable desu.
Daggerfall grows on you but Arena stays bad
>>
>>337945594
>game is bad because graphics
wew

>>337947404
>>337947504
Did either of you finish Arena? I got about halfway through and got hella bored. Made a sorcerer who spams AOE spells and uses a 2h sword, had fun until I started being immune to pretty much everything.

>>337947253
rolle
>>
File: Controls.jpg (1 MB, 1920x2160) Image search: [Google]
Controls.jpg
1 MB, 1920x2160
>>337947504
Daggerfall had customizable controls. Plus you could set it up to use mouse look, and make it play like later TES games.
>>
>>337947916
Yeah I finished daggerfall twice.
Its arena that I cant stand
>>
>>337931682

Oblivion.
>>
>>337931682
Where can I buy that skirt?
>>
>>337948082

Are you a girl?
>>
File: LrNOpeO.jpg (452 KB, 1920x960) Image search: [Google]
LrNOpeO.jpg
452 KB, 1920x960
It doesn't really matter as long as Daggerfall is dead last, and Oblivion isn't in the top two.
>>
>>337948023
I just wish Daggerfall had a Diablo-like lootlist. It's a problem every TES has. Custom enchanted equipment are always completely superior to loot.
>>
>>337948471
>as long as Daggerfall is dead last
What are you on man?
Elaborate
>>
>>337935625
Too bad her band is pretty shit.
>>
>>337948471
>Daggerfall
>Behind Arena
???

Also
>Daggerfall
>bad
>>
File: 1449017088260.jpg (81 KB, 1119x735) Image search: [Google]
1449017088260.jpg
81 KB, 1119x735
>>337931682
Updates on the neofag saying he would upload the ISO of Oblivion for psp?
https://vid.me/lW4i
https://vid.me/ECFN
https://vid.me/ECNN
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (125 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
125 KB, 1280x720
>>337948623
Daggerfall is just big for big's sake trash.
- Absolutely no reason to go out into the world, ever
- Dungeons are maze-like and devoid of any kind of prudent design
- The entire game is just doing these awful dungeons ad-infinitum
- Towns are copy-pasted and almost entirely un-interactable
- Banks are pointless time-filler limiters
- Money is useless anyway
- Plenty of useless skills, there's a reason they were cut

>>337949226
Arena was more basic than Daggerfall, but that's what makes it better. Dungeons are navigable and at least marginally more believable than Daggerfall trash. Game is designed purely around going floor to floor killing all the monsters, collecting loot, and leveling up. Straight forward, easy, fun.

But the later entries are better, barring maybe Oblivion, because they added complexity and immersion without entirely destroying playability.
>>
Skyrim looks the coolest
>>
>>337950549
You really worked had on that one. It's a good try, but there's not enough subtle, and there's too much lying.
>>
>>337936696
lord help me
>>
>>337931682
http://i.imgur.com/aTvm5Gb.jpg?1
>>
File: Stendarr never heard of him.jpg (166 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Stendarr never heard of him.jpg
166 KB, 640x480
>>337954154
Excellent complete lack of an argument. Spot-on baseless high ground. Quality overt bias without rationalization. I would expect no less from a Daggerfall fan.

Daggerfall is trash. Here's a picture I took when I played it this year.
>>
File: xOTnM7R.jpg (17 KB, 278x278) Image search: [Google]
xOTnM7R.jpg
17 KB, 278x278
>>337950126
>>
Oblivion's the comfiest.
Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.