[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Peach the source of misrepresentation of women in gaming?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 9
Is Peach the source of misrepresentation of women in gaming?
>>
>>337927918

Probably, because that's all women play is surface shit like Mario games and casual phone games.
>>
No.
>>
Nintendo has not one good female character in their whole roster that isn't a stand-in, but Peach is among the worst.
>>
The "kill dragon, save princess" story line is hundreds if not thousands of years old.
>>
>>337927918
No
>>
File: fuck you 1205189324083.jpg (29 KB, 400x405) Image search: [Google]
fuck you 1205189324083.jpg
29 KB, 400x405
>>337927918
The thumbnail made me think this was an H flash thread.
>>
>>337927918

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqcjpwAHsTQ
>>
>>337930604

>they light everything4views on fire
>while hes wearing a super flammable shitty costume

Kek
>>
Nah, the problem with women in gaming is mostly the lack of women as writers for video games. Most women are written by male writers, bringing a male perspective to female characters which comes with certain prejudices that are expressed in these characters.

Really, my personal solution for better female characters in video games is the following: Take one of your male characters, ask yourself "Is there any reason this character wouldn't work if he was a woman?" and if the answer is no, just make him one.
>>
>>337927918
>this entire post

Will false flaggers fucking kill themselves already?
>>
>>337930893
Then ask yourself why you would turn your male character into a woman. If the answer is "for diversity," kill yourself.
>>
>>337927918
No, she has a ton of rule34 though.
>>
>>337930893
wouldn't the question then be "Is there any reason this character wouldn't work if she was a man?"
>>
>>337932387
Sure. If you don't give a shit either way than you can do it however you want.
>>
>>337927918
Who's Rincess Each?
>>
>>337927918

No but she's an easy target for anyone without a substantial argument.
>>
>>337928445
Exactly. Everyone grew up with stories of someone saving a princess.
>>
>>337933206
nice autism
>>
>>337927918
Actually, she is one of the better ones.

She is the one character who consistently becomes a playable character in the various games. What's more, she runs around with the other characters in a poofy pink dress - showing that not only can girls play like boys, but they don't need to give up their identity and become a "tomboy" in order to do so.
>>
>>337927918
>feminism is women telling other women they are too stupid to make their own decisions and have free will.

Oh the irony.
>>
>>337933395
Basically this. Her character archetype is one that can be executed harmfully, but with how many times she's either participated actively or aided her own rescue from within I think she safely qualifies as a positive influence.

I think a big part of the issue is that the more militant feminists can't accept that a female character can be dependent by design and isn't an omnicompetent badass. Characters of any gender can comfortably occupy the role of rescuee, and some girls honestly aspire to wealth and attractiveness just like some boys do. The important part is that there are ready options to choose from.
>>
>>337927918
No, because Mario's just one game and even in that Peach has taken active roles in the series.
>>
>>337928392
>not one good female

Some one hasn't played the older fire emblem games.
>>
>>337927918
People always seem to forget that Peach had her own game where she kicked ass. And it was actually a nice change from standard Mario fare, too.

>brolley glidan
>brolley whackan
>rage burnan
>joy i forget what joy didan
>sadness cryspamman
>>
No.

People need to understand that the fictional world of a video game is not its most important aspect, and so, when Mario was made, the world was a fucking afterthought. Peach is a stereotypical princess, and absolutely useless, because everything in the Mushroom Kingdom is superficial as fuck. She's an excuse to have Mario jump on things. People looking at these characters as if there's something to learn from them, or as if they have any deeper meaning is stupid as fuck.
>>
File: image.jpg (75 KB, 289x371) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
75 KB, 289x371
Honestly who gives a shit about gender in video games. Just make sure the characters are written and acted well and gender will become the least of your concerns
>>
So how would Super Princess Peach be reviewed if it came out today?
>>
>>337930525
kek same reason I came to the thread

I'm disappointed
>>
>>337935118
forgot image
>peachy
>>
>>337935226
>reviewers
it was a decent game, fuck vidya reviewers

but yes, flip a coin, 50% chance polyshit and neetur call it 10/10 GOTY for a female MC alone, 50% chance they gut it for the character being a stereotypical girl
>>
>>337935190
The kind of people whose only income is patreon or revenue on their clickbait articles.
>>
Probably.
But then again, women whine about girls in skimpy clothing or acting slutty, saying "do not objectify women".
Then you go to a night club and women are dressed in skimpy clothing and acting slutty voluntarily.

So, you know, there's no winning in this one.

The moment you show me that all women who wear revealing clothing and act seductively were forced in behaving like that, then I'll agree.
>>
>>337934896
Anon, we all know fire emblem no longer exists outside of big titty waifus and pickle based localizations
>>
>>337935783
No, that's just them trying to attract a mate.
>>
Meh. The game was fun. People should stop beliving that a character MC is supposed to be a role model or something and that every game must reflect you to be good. Boogerman didn't create a generation of pant shitters, earthworm jim didn't increase self decapitation suicide and Mario didn't promote turtles extinction. Why should woman character be different? Why don't we teach people to stop projecting themselves on things that aren't meant for it?
>>
>>337927918
MUH
SOGGY
KNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>337935996
But the weirdest thing is that you can find women around who behave just like Peach (or at least what they try to show how she is supposed to behave) without even knowing or having played a Mario game.

It just happens. There are all sorts of people.
>>
Princess Peach is definitely a low point in female video game characters. It's usually because Japanese have no understanding of what a good female character should be (proactive, has a personality, has flaws that's makes them human, etc).
>>
>>337936569
Because Peach has none of these things, right?
It only counts if your female characters are turbo dykes that don't need no man, I guess.
>>
>>337936569
>westernfag detected
>>
>>337936569
Partially agree.
Rarely they bother giving a proper personality to female characters, I agree with that.
But peach wasn't supposed to have any personality, so they had to come up with something later on.
All she needed to be was "the damsel in distress" and nothing more. There was never too much room for creating a backstory for her because it was never needed.
Knights rescuing princesses are a premise that no longer works, not just because of SJW bullshit, but because it's boring by now. And for the fact that women are different today also.

That being said, Peach was created with the "hero saves princess" mindset. Nothing you can do right now without destroying the character.
Create a bloody new princess who is strong and needs no man, see if anybody gives a shit.
>>
>>337936537
>behave just like Peach
i just can't picture what "behaving like Peach" would even mean, since like mario, she's a blank slate with a few catchphrase.
And if people want to behave that way there's no reason to prevent them to.
>>
>>337930525
same. I am thoroughly disappointed.
>>
>>337927918
No. ESPECIALLY not the Peach in Mario & Luigi and Paper Mario games.
>>
>>337937149
You can say the same about Mario.
Both characters were void of any personality. The personality of both of them came over time.
>>
>>337936569
>teh Japanese!
when in lack of arguments, use the race cards, it's OK when it's not against black people after all.
>>
>>337937292
When did Mario ever get a personality? Cartoons?
>>
>>337930893
I think of more well written female characters written by men than women. Women feel the need to constantly shove in "muh gurl power" and "muh don't need no man" into every character they write. Men are better at writing women because men have more experience with women.
>>
No, Peach isn't really a problem. Real life women that feel threatened by her existence, or the implication of her existence, are the problem.

>Is He-Man the source of misrepresentation of men in cartoons?
>>
File: msu.png (10 KB, 367x83) Image search: [Google]
msu.png
10 KB, 367x83
>>337930525
>>337935246
>>337937248

Well, the good news is Magical Sleepover U should be releasing any day now
>>
Why do people care so much about this?
>>
>>337935190
Word. A good character is a good character, not a "good female character" or "good male character"
>>
>>337937406
You can say that. Also spin off games. The same games that are trying to give personality to characters that didn't have one before.
>>
>>337935741
If that's true, then why does /v/ throw a bitchfit every time the subject comes up?
If gender doesn't matter, then why complain about female protagonists and people talking about female protagonists?
>>
>>337933515
nice not getting the fucking joke, virgin
>>
>>337927918
she's the only semi-realistic portrail of women in vidya though
>>
File: 1372730398565.gif (164 KB, 150x150) Image search: [Google]
1372730398565.gif
164 KB, 150x150
>implying peach isn't the only one able to ascend

dubs confirm
>>
>>337927918
This fucking thread again
>>
>>337937745
>If gender doesn't matter, then why complain about female protagonists and people talking about female protagonists?

Because gender doesn't matter. But when your game trait is only female, gay, trans character then it is a problem.

Because they are trying to achieve a solution to what they think is right, the whole Social Justice shit. But just because your game has now more female, more black- muslim people, more trans-gay people is not going to solve the problem itself.

Inclusion because we need to be inclusive is even more racist-sexist than being straight up homophobic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA_CQPU5qbo
>>
>>337938546
You better have a good plot and gameplay to back it up.
>>
File: 1422012289576.png (4 MB, 2640x3464) Image search: [Google]
1422012289576.png
4 MB, 2640x3464
>>337927918
idk peach is pretty awful but is a great representation of female nintendo fans.

rosalina is probably the worst. when she was revealed people honestly thought she was peach with a new haircut.
>>
File: 20592445.jpg (22 KB, 566x566) Image search: [Google]
20592445.jpg
22 KB, 566x566
>>337938546
Steam Tag: Female Protagonist is the most insulting tag I've ever seen.
And yet, the progressive Warriors see the tag a as victory.
I just don't understand what the fuck is wrong with America.
>>
>>337927918
No.
>>
>>337927918
>affiliated with a curse that causes emotions to run haywire
>saves the day, Mario and herself despite said curse
>nobody buys it because of knee jerk reaction to the game's premise believing its sexist
>A fun new ip never gets a sequel for of gaming's most iconic women taking a leading role because of ignorance.

Rip peach
>>
>>337936569
No, actually, Japanese are the ones who tend to write better female characters while western developers more often than not write flanderized trash. Literally flanderizing a whole gender. Only the west is capable of doing that and claiming it to be progressive.
>>
>>337927918
No. Are you stupid?
>>
>>337939154
>>nobody buys it because of knee jerk reaction to the game's premise believing its sexist
More like 0 advertising.
>>
>>337939295
That too, but there was definitely a lot of hate from reviewers
>>
>>337938664
If anything, Rosalina is one of the few good females Nintendo has.
>>
File: 1423481674618.jpg (44 KB, 348x351) Image search: [Google]
1423481674618.jpg
44 KB, 348x351
>>337927918
>Is Peach the source of misrepresentation of women in gaming?

A character that
>play minigames in equal grounds with the boys
>race in equal grounds with the boys
>beat the shit out of boys and girls

>the source of misrepresentation of women
>>
>>337927918
>Is Peach the source of misrepresentation of women in gaming?

No, Anita Sarkeesian is. In other times spin doctors like her would've been slammed.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.