[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Game Dev Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 56
File: GameOP.png (43 KB, 442x756) Image search: [Google]
GameOP.png
43 KB, 442x756
How's that game going? Hit any roadblocks?
>>
>>337887259
Usually these threads are popular.
Odd.
>>
>>337887259

The only roadblock is I hate everything I've made and want to start from scratch because I don't find the game fun
>>
File: output2.webm (2 MB, 1258x576) Image search: [Google]
output2.webm
2 MB, 1258x576
Experimenting with making our firearms smoke. Not barrel smoke, which doesn't happen, but smoking where they would actually smoke; like in this one. AK's smoke from near the gas system/piston, so that's where smoke comes from.

Would only start smoking after 2 or so mag dumps, and wouldn't last long. In this preview it's just set to stay on for demo purposes.
>>
>>337888112
Before you do that, it could be a simple tweak that adds that fun factor, some element of juicyness that's not quite there
>>
>>337887259

Yeah, I just found out I can't code. Put a real strain on the project.
>>
>>337888535
That's the thing, I'm at the point where I'm thinking about all of the extra juicy/theatric things I can add to make it 'feel' more fun and distract from the fact that the gameplay is shallow
but tat doesn't change the fact that the core gameplay is shallow
>>
Does anyone know where specifically the x and y coordinates in GML refer to? Is it the x and y coordinates of the sprites "center" that you define, or is it the actual mathematical center of the sprite?
>>
I need money and lots of time and am extremely insecure about presenting ideas to anyone.
>>
>>337888634
Shallow gameplay can be fun though.

I can't see your game, but I feel like it might just be a pride thing. The gameplay in something like Pacman Championship Edition DX is pretty shallow, but nothing beats the satisfaction of chomping down on ghosts and watching the screen stutter a bit everytime that happens
>>
>>337887259

I'm messing around with RPGMaker scripting a bit. You can do a decent amount out of the box but some things are kind of awkward and I'm curious to see some of the engine's underpinnings. Not a huge fan of Ruby, but maybe this will be a better way to learn it than writing a Rails app?
>>
>>337888647
It's neither. They refer to the actual position. The sprite is a quad offset by the origin (center), scaled/rotated (if applicable), then translated to the position (x and y).
>>
>>337889124
So if I have a sprite with the origin at the bottom left corner, using obj.x or obj.y will give me the current coordinates of the left corner?
>>
>>337887259
no motivation
haven't worked on game in three weeks now

I've opened up the project, stared at it for a bit, and then closed it several times in that period.
The most I've done was make another song -- that I ended up deciding I wasn't going to use because it wasn't terribly good and didn't fit with the other dozen or so songs I wrote already.
>>
>>337888634
raise the difficulty? make it faster?
>>
Where would I go if I wanted to make an android game?
>>
I hit the road block of "my computer is fucking dead." So while I'm not job hunting I'll be learning how to play guitar and draw
>>
>>337889315
Yeah. And setting them will position the sprite such that the bottom left corner will be at whatever you set obj.x or obj.y to.
>>
File: 123124395829357983798.png (67 KB, 273x287) Image search: [Google]
123124395829357983798.png
67 KB, 273x287
Is there something like vk_anykey/keyboard_key for gamepads in Gamemaker? I can't seem to find anything on it (might just not be looking hard enough). I got my keyboard rebinding set up now I just have to do that with gamepads.
>>
File: ballenemy.webm (2 MB, 756x514) Image search: [Google]
ballenemy.webm
2 MB, 756x514
i drew a little design for a prototype enemy and have modeled and rigged him. he's an evil ball guy who will bounce around and try to bounce on and claw at the player. the player can spin him around by shooting his hands to expose the weakpoint on the back of his head, or the player can wait for the him to try and bounce on them and shoot the weak point on his bottom -- at least that's what i hope to do.
>>
I hit the " my pc is too shit to run any game making engines' road block.
>>
File: 2016-02-25_00004.jpg (141 KB, 1440x883) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-25_00004.jpg
141 KB, 1440x883
I am working on a mod for an underratted game called SOMA. The mod is like Monstrum but more intense and in 3 minute play sessions. Currently finishing up the first HUB area and polishing the games mechanics.
>>
>>337889834

fucking neato anon
>>
File: mall_008.jpg (535 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
mall_008.jpg
535 KB, 1920x1080
mall map. almost done

when i start testing, this will probably be one of the first maps to play
>>
>>337889834
>inb4 spooky scary skeletons joke
But jokes aside, nice model and rig! I think the belly is a little blurry but all in all the texture work is decent.
>>
>>337888482
Bullet smoke trails are awful, same for the shell casings. Other than that, I like the effect in the barrel, even though it could be a bit closer to the muzzle.

I'd suggest also adding some of the gas released by each discharge.
>>
I've been (actively) learning to draw for a few weeks now in the hopes of gaining a bit of every skill required to make vidya. Blasting my way through Loomis now and all this theory is pretty interesting. Though I feel like I should be doing more than just drawing 3D balls with other geometric shapes slapped to them for faces. Granted I plan to move onto 3-D models too but right now I want to figure out 2-D completely
>>
>>337889995
Cool. I thought SOMA was pretty dang good. And that looks nice. Never heard of Monstrum though. 3 minute play sessions, so is it like a procedural kind of game?
Also, are SOMA's modding tools easy to use?
>>
>>337890075

>made that much art
>hasn't started testing
shit nigger what are you doing
>>
>>337890008
thanks

>>337890129
thanky. his belly is indeed a bit blurry/low res compared to the rest, and his back is worse... but he's just a prototype guy so i'm not worrying about detail. if he works out really well, i'm going to remake him in the end
>>
>>337890305
which loomis book specifically are you going through?
>>
File: demo+boss.png (13 KB, 413x423) Image search: [Google]
demo+boss.png
13 KB, 413x423
Nearly done procrastinating with the back end stuff and just about ready to work on the front end and realize that everything is broken.
>>
>>337890515
Yes they are! Think LEGO blocks with UE3 graphics! The scripting is literally tweaking and coping and pasting. I edited the entire gameover system to my liking in a day! Try it! https://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl3/community/hpl3_level_tips_and_tricks
>>
>>337891136
Fun with a pencil. Been told it's the first one, and since I haven't drawn properly since I was 14 (where all I drew in school was still-lives, perspective drawings and geometric shapes) I thought it'd be a good idea to start there
>>
File: dog_28.png (359 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
dog_28.png
359 KB, 640x480
I won't post shit about my game until I get at least some copyright crap done.

>>337891196
I dig that enemy, anon.
>>
File: 1.gif (555 KB, 711x389) Image search: [Google]
1.gif
555 KB, 711x389
im tired
>>
>>337891862
Have you tried adding an extra frame to the animation of the player? It would look less clunky.
>>
>>337890075
Nice! How do you do those reflections?
>>
>>337891946

Thats more because Licecap is a pile of shit that has an awful framerate cap on created gifs.
It looks smoother and more framey in 60 fps.
>>
I just finished app and published in on google play! I used UE4 and I think it looks preety good. Appeciate if ya'll can drop a rating and give me some feedback!

Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.NonFiniteGames.Circles
>>
>>337887259
I'm working on my UI atm. Its a bloody mess...
>>
>>337891432
yeah, that's a good start.
and you should indeed draw other stuff.
this is the secret to get good quick, the simple version: think of something you want to draw, like a person in a certain pose or an environment or whatever, and try to draw it from your imagination. no reference or anything. once you're done and have what is perhaps a crappy drawing, then you get reference and fix all your mistakes. repeat that process over and over with your other studying.
you may need to get a little further in before you can do that well since that technique relies on being able to draw from reference to an alright degree.
>>
File: 3.png (51 KB, 1273x708) Image search: [Google]
3.png
51 KB, 1273x708
>>337887259

I am interested in adding yet another mechanic into my SRPG.

Every character is a lazy cunt by nature. So whenever you make characters learn a new job, technique or school, their morale meter drop. Changing job drop the meter the worst, followed by school and then technique.

And when characters get shoved in a mission, the game used that morale meter to check if the characters have a chance to get bad morale status for the entire mission and the battles in that mission. Also the meter reset instantly after that check.

Moreover, the relationship of each characters shoved into that mission also affect the morale check. Friends decrease the check chance and may even shove the meter into checking for positive morale status for the entire mission. Enemies kick the meter further into hell zone.

In addition when you gain a hideout at the start of chapter 2, you can build your hideout specifically to improve to improve the morale meter for specific characters of specific alignment, job, element, archetype or trait. For example, building a business theme of hideout (shopping, office etc.) give massive morale boost to businessmen and politicians in your posse but make all your punks feel highly unwelcome.

Morale meter of each character have also be affected by player decisions in the game.

tell me what do you think of this idea.
>>
>>337891394
Sounds interesting, I'll try it out
>>
>>337892556
To me that sounds like "just draw, and don't be afraid to draw and fuck up". Which I was absolutely planning on doing. I realise that becoming good at drawing is a process that takes years and even then you're never done learning or growing.
But it's an absolute must if I want to become a Jack of all trades
>>
>>337889829

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB2alpO62GM&list=PL9FzW-m48fn2ug_FSNnfozQs3qYlBNyTd

In one of these chapters it was mentioned what you're looking for
>>
>>337893836

I think it was episode 5 or something. Not pretty sure
>>
>>337893615
it is like that. but the important part is that you first draw from imagination and only afterward use reference, instead of always using reference.
when you do it on your own first, and afterwards fix your mistakes with reference, it makes you avoid simply copying the reference, which can easily become "automatic", and thus not teach you anything. it gets you actually analyzing and comparing what you naturally do, to what your subject actually looks like.
doing that will really help you retain that knowledge in your long term memory compared to just copying or studying reference alone.
>>
>>337894143

damn , I am not him but I never thought of it like that
sound advice there.
>>
>>337894143
Damn I actually didn't think of th-
>>337894303
what he said
>>
>>337890703
yea, just now getting the gameplay in place. At least now I have a ton of maps and stuff to work with

>>337892032
thanks. it's un UE4, just reflection spheres and Screen space reflections
>>
>>337894637

But what if your testing shows that everything you've put this much effort into needs to change in some way (focusing on a different mechanic, resizing, adjusting to remove exploits etc)? All of that time you put into final art would have been premature
>>
>>337892875
sounds pretty interesting to me. also sounds like it might become annoying having to accommodate for different groups of people in your base and stuff, like the work to maintain morale might be too much, to the point of detracting from the rest of the game. but i don't play many srpgs and don't know what yours is like so i can't really know what it would be like.
but it sounds interesting for sure.
>>
>>337894957
Im sure ill have to adjust plenty of things after testing. Most of the static meshes can be adjusted/scaled, etc. The walls and stuff of the maps are BSP, so I can change whatever needs to be
>>
File: Untitled.png (124 KB, 982x655) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
124 KB, 982x655
>>337890240
Changed both of those pretty much right after making that WebM.

Here's a webplayer version of my smoke demo: http://troy.design/testing/build.html
>>
>>337895542

in general, you don't have to do anything with the hideout, it's optional. If you don't do anything with it, it give no benefits but you don't need to spend anything on it.

you can spend money to build stuff that cater to everyone which give small morale to everyone regardless of their differences, or specifically cater to certain characters for a large morale boost which grant demerit to another group of characters.

Everything in my game is about what the player decide to do. And the results from that.
>>
>>337895860
i see. sounds more like the player adjusting stuff for tactical advantages instead of what i thought it might be, like a constant, annoying balancing act.
that does sound good then.
>>
Tried to make a character move around in Unreal 4 C++. Moving is easy, but they literally stick to walls. Currently studying how the built-in Character Controller does it, coming to the conclusion I should accept it instead of try to understand it. There is so much checking for animation flags and replication over network that it's tough to read.
>>
Is unreal's C++ stuff raw C++ or does unreal have its own framework with bult in functions to make things easier?
>>
File: 1460523961951.gif (153 KB, 500x362) Image search: [Google]
1460523961951.gif
153 KB, 500x362
Just got done solidifying and tweaking a major mechanic. Still have to settle some bugs, but damn it's nice to see it working. Now off to bed (at 4:30 am!)
>>
>>337896757
From my experience, Unreal handles all the hard stuff for you with weakpointers, garbage collectors, and a huge quantity of factories for everything. You do code in pure c++, but only for good stuff like gameplay.
>>
>>337896940

Unreal's got a built in C++ garbage collector?
That's nice of them
>>
File: 1431809797437.gif (63 KB, 404x200) Image search: [Google]
1431809797437.gif
63 KB, 404x200
>3 weeks left until summer vacation so I can start make game
>>
i need to learn source 2 hammer so i can use it to create environments and export as fbx without having to learn a full modelling program

instead i got drunk, played deus ex, and listened to the blood money soundtrack

so pretty good
>>
>>337897017
Weakpointers n factories, man. Ensures that you can call Destroy on any instanced actor and the memory will be cleared for you, and all pointers to it will be set to null.
>>
>>337897105
Honestly it is way easier using blender than hammer to make shit in, if only for the modifiers (like mirror, array, etc)
Unless they've done some cool with source 2 hammer
>>
>>337898582

>blender
>easy

Good luck when you have to start using real software
>>
I'm working on one in RPG Maker[\spoiler], how do you guys go about writing the scripts for scenes and stuff? Like a scene or more bookish?
>>
File: blend.webm (3 MB, 884x514) Image search: [Google]
blend.webm
3 MB, 884x514
>>337896913
good job, good night

>>337898582
another neat thing about blender is you can walk around in an environment you make by pressing shift+f. you can change the view height and speed, jump height and gravity and all that to mimic your game. it's pretty convenient to have a full 3d modeling tool with this kind of feature, though it is quite simple.
>>
>>337899465
Personally I would write it like a scene/screenplay, just with the dialogue and important actions
>>
File: blood.webm (1 MB, 853x480) Image search: [Google]
blood.webm
1 MB, 853x480
My current roadblock is trying to make my AI actually fun.
>>
File: Town2.jpg (710 KB, 4000x2200) Image search: [Google]
Town2.jpg
710 KB, 4000x2200
>>337898582

They've combined the concepts of brushwork geometry (source 1) and meshes (3d modelling)

its obviously not as powerful as something like Maya 3ds Max or Blender but its really neat and easy to use in my opinion
>>
I've never done any rigging before, which is better for rigging a bipedal character,
rigging in 3DS max or rigging in Blender?
>>
>>337900843
I had to watch this about 10 times to understand what was going on.

As far as fun AI, maybe different enemy types that delay their attacks, jump, start at different heights, maybe even work in pairs
>>
>>337900843
>R to restart

I also loved the breakneck pace of Hotline Miami
>>
>>337901268
that's pretty cool. what kind of modeling features does it have exactly?
>>
File: source2hammer.jpg (546 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
source2hammer.jpg
546 KB, 1920x1080
>>337901805

hard to describe as someone who isnt very good at modelling to begin with

imagine if it was source 1 with brushes, but the vertex manipulation tool wasn't shit, and it included a lot of 3d modelling features like extrude, bevel, cut/loop, etc. as far as I know it doesn't have many/any of the modifier functions like mirror or 3ds max's turbosmooth but it seems good for smaller developers who dont want to spend weeks modelling entire high quality levels
>>
>>337899406
Nice meme
Blender is fine, especially at hobbyist level.
>>
File: 1388182759169.gif (983 KB, 500x364) Image search: [Google]
1388182759169.gif
983 KB, 500x364
>>337889834
that's fuckin fantastic
>>
>>337902178
neat, sounds pretty nice. i'll have to give it a go.
>>
Yeah, I'm at a roadblock.
I decided to use one of those fancy databinding plugins to get my stuff to the UI fast and then I'm stumped because I don't know how to use it for my specific case and the documentation is vague, so I have to wait for a guy to answer me on the forum.

Also because I ran out of planned things to add so I have to take my time and think up some more
>>
File: IMG_0041-0042.png (739 KB, 1952x1400) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0041-0042.png
739 KB, 1952x1400
>>337900843
nice technology.
am i right in assuming the freeform mouse cutting is just temporary until you have animations?
>>
I tried but I literally can't just start "making" the game

I have to plan EVERYTHING beforehand or my autism will never be happy with the results

everything has to go according to keikaku
>>
>>337903170

your keikaku is terribad if it didn't take account of what you can actually do now.

great strategists make plans based on how to use their own actual strength and capability.

shitty ones make plans while they are high and based on expecting comic superheroes to come to the rescue
>>
>>337903046
why are his enemies all of the same height and perfectly lined up?
>>
File: AWWYISS.webm (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
AWWYISS.webm
1 MB, 1280x720
I spent the last 4 days trying to get a physics object to collide with a non physics object. My random generation cannot use physics objects. So my walls have to be normal objects. Someone suggested that I make the walls be normal and when the game starts switch them to physics ones, so that they generate rooms then still collide with the player.

I tired this, the sheer number of wall blocks crashed the game.

And then this, THIS BEAUTIFUL CREATION.
When you are near the wall they have physics, and when you are far away they don't. OPTIMISATION FUCK YES.
>>
>>337901625

Anything that's not blender
>>
>>337903437
>using gms physics
You can usually just use instance_place checks for collision checking. 2d games rarely need a proper physics engine
>>
>>337887259
Beginning a project is my biggest roadblock.
That and finishing one.

I have a bunch of projects that I started once but never got far with.
Doesn't help I'm just a programmer with zero art skills and barely any game design ideas.
>>
>>337902457
thanks googs
>>
File: IMG_0074.png (135 KB, 901x489) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0074.png
135 KB, 901x489
>>337903352
because the author heard word of your autism
>>
File: cucutticut.gif (531 KB, 1171x627) Image search: [Google]
cucutticut.gif
531 KB, 1171x627
>>337901643
I've considered different types of enemy behaviors (the work in pairs was a new one though), but the main concern I've got is to actually write together the logic. I'm currently using a FSM to determine enemy actions, but I feel like I don't know enough about AI to actually write together a smart behavior.

>>337903046
>nice technology.
Thank you.
>am i right in assuming the freeform mouse cutting is just temporary until you have animations?
Nope, the freeform mouse cutting is the main mechanic. I think it will make for some very dynamic combat.
>>
>>337903984

Using physics just for players and walls, Gotta have that sexy bump into and move around animation. FUCK YES.
>>
>>337888482
The muzzle flash graphic shouldn't be angled in the direction of the gun.
Make it a billboard that faces the camera instead.
Ensure its always rendered behind your weapon too, so that it doesn't clip through it.
>>
File: frost 16-05-17 forest grass 5.png (13 KB, 528x528) Image search: [Google]
frost 16-05-17 forest grass 5.png
13 KB, 528x528
Working on the forest tileset
>>
>>337889834
dude that's brilliant.
have you considered also making it so that if the player shoots his head, thinking that is the weak spot, that he just eats the shot and gets slightly bigger in size?
>>
File: IMG_0073.png (462 KB, 961x1400) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0073.png
462 KB, 961x1400
>>337904475
>Nope, the freeform mouse cutting is the main mechanic.
that sounds terrible, you're not going to have informative enough player information to make capable enemies and just end up with a DS minigame.
>>
>>337904278
that's fine, you can make a ballin' ass prototype with simple as shit art.
i wish i had the webms of the guy who was making a unity project entirely out of primitives. it was an fps, and he was just programmatically changing various projectile types (again, all primitives like spheres and cubes) so they did cool patterns of scale and color and movement and all that as they were shot out. it legitimately looked really fun.
i suggest that you write down literally any game/mechanical idea you come up with. it'll help ideas come more easily when you get them out right away.
>>
>>337905090
thanks, and that's a really good idea, i think i'll try something like that
>>
>>Hit any roadblocks
Yeah. UI creation in GameMaker is still really shit.
Why the fuck is there nothing for GameMaker that lets you embed something like Awesomium?

I had a debug UI up and running within seconds in Unity by just drag-dropping Awesomium into my project and typing out a small chunk of HTML and CSS.

Why is every extension for GameMaker just re-inventing the wheel?
Nearly every UI extension for it is either primitive as fuck or just broken.
>>
>>337905514
Not the same anon, but i think a good idea would be having to shoot that creature in the head to knock it back and make its weak spot that part on the bottom
>>
>>337889829
Never mind, fixed it. Time for PSO2 CQ.

>>337893836
It didn't have what I wanted, but thanks anyway anon.
>>
>>337906029
nice menu. what is your game?
>>
>>337906070
I have no art skills so everything is rectangles, including the menus.
>>
>>337905898
the bottom part is also a weak point
but my idea with that was since the enemy is bouncing and tries to jump on the player, the player has a small chance when the enemy jumps above him to look up and shoot that weak point, though this way is more risky
but thanks for the idea, tomorrow i'm going to try to put the guy in game, so i'll be experimenting with ways to eliminate him and i'll try that
>>
Balancing is my roadblock. It's hard to make an SRPG that is challenging but never impossible without relying on RNG somehow.
>>
>>337906141
oh you're this guy
looks awesome
>>
>>337906409

fire emblem beg to differ
>>
>>337906141
Neat, what is it? I always wanted a hack'n'slash with elements, like those Bleach PSP games.
>>
>>337906665
The series with random growths and random crits? Please.
>>
>>337906409
balancing is easy if you remove stats.
inb4 GENRE NEEDS STATS OR IT ISNT GENRE like i care about a genre
>>
>>337906598
Thanks.

>>337906731
Metroidvania. You get 3 weapons you can switch between that have uses outside of purely damaging things, like short distance warping, or making ice blocks. Since I have finally finished this episode of rebinding support I can actually start work on the 2nd weapon.
>>
>>337906141
Looks great anon
>>
>>337907027

tell that to Gungeon
>>
File: Screenie.png (159 KB, 827x656) Image search: [Google]
Screenie.png
159 KB, 827x656
Does RPG Maker count?

I've been making a little game in my spare time.
My biggest hurdle is getting used to drawing tilesets and making them look good. Doesn't help that I've restricted myself to a near-colourless palette.

Pic related, party wipe
>>
>>337907027
An SRPG with no stats would just be some weird variant of chess.
>>
>>337907313
and we all know how much everyone hates chess.
>>
>>337906409
What do you have against putting RNG in your game?
>>
File: 1460137755439.webm (2 MB, 800x453) Image search: [Google]
1460137755439.webm
2 MB, 800x453
>>337907668
probably doesnt want his game playing like this.
>>
>>337907256
neat.
are those older sprites on the right? or is there another reason they're pixelated while everything else is smooth
>>
File: dog_13.gif (1 MB, 480x394) Image search: [Google]
dog_13.gif
1 MB, 480x394
>>337907994
This can't be true.
>>
>>337889829
>>337906029
>>337906141
>>337907082

This is looking really nice anon.
If you're using GameMaker, I'd recommend this for input stuff:
https://marketplace.yoyogames.com/assets/243/input-dog

It's saved me a shit-load of time.
>>
File: 1451079654437.jpg (11 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
1451079654437.jpg
11 KB, 300x168
>>337887259
hey, i need some advice

if i want to make VN game or story heavy game like Zero Escape/Phoenix Wright, what engine should i use?
>>
>>337908653

just use twine for VN
>>
File: KipahFaces.png (43 KB, 576x576) Image search: [Google]
KipahFaces.png
43 KB, 576x576
>>337908321
I'm using RPG Maker MV right now.

The enemy sprites can be any size (within reason), and the background is large enough that I can make things look nicer. I don't have as much room with the sprites, unfortunately. It was either pixelly or a blurred mess.

Another picture. This time it's character portraits. The three blank ones are just templates for now.
The character is the middle one from my previous image (just not dead).
>>
>>337907994
you are aware attack animations are still counted as one attack with one hit roll and one damage that gets divided during the whole thing for cinematic effects, RIGHT?
>>
>>337908738
is it capable of doing puzzle?
>>
>>337909645

no. it can't.

if you want extra gameplay elements, then gamemaker is your engine of choice.
>>
>>337909418
no, i dont understand a single thing you said.
>>
>>337911395
that's pretty pathetic then, fuck off instead of shitting a dev threads with your ignorance
>>
>>337907994
I'm not a big fan of sudden dodge chance or critical hits like that that kick in at the right time to screw you over/save the day like that.

However, I think there's a lot of potential in SRPGs for a more controllable/ reactable form of RNG; for example, at the start of your turn units have a chance to get their next attack empowered for 2x damage. Sure, there's potential to get screwed over, but it can be tuned so that it scales down combinatorically and you put a lot of agency into the player's hands while creating new situations to think through.
>>
>>337911395
If I understand him correctly what he is saying is that you when you attack it does say 1-100 damage with a possibility of missing or critting. So if it hit for 100 then each hit in that animation would do like 5-10 damage and at the end when they blow up it would all add to 100 damage, however the attack missed so missed subdivided itself into 10-20 misses.
>>
>>337906029

What does the daijobu button do?
>>
>>337911785
>>337911458
>>337911558
where's the gameplay though?

http://keithburgun.net/randomness-and-game-design/
>>
>>337912137
It daijobus.
>>
File: barrel-4mb.gif (4 MB, 584x350) Image search: [Google]
barrel-4mb.gif
4 MB, 584x350
Would you?
>>
>>337914168
Looks fun

Barrels need shadows.
>>
>>337914168

needs hop/step animations desu
>>
>>337912801
>gameplay
it's a fucking cinematic you brain dead moron. It's Disgaea, stop that shitty game of pretend immediately cause you and me know exactly what game this is and how it plays.
>>
>>337914396
i've never played Disgaea, its just a funny stupid videogame webm i saved from the /v/ image board.
you're pretty serious about your RNG "games"
>>
File: ghost2.gif (4 MB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
ghost2.gif
4 MB, 512x384
>>337914351
Yeah I'll see what I can do about that. They do look a bit like they're floating at the moment..

>>337914352
I'm putting off making movement animations for as long as I can, because I really suck at animations.
>>
>>337915070

why do animations when you don't need or want to?

Just use effects on the sprites to generate bounce, pull and squash.

like this game.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=682180703

the sprites are amazing because they never intended to do any animations in the first place.

save them a hell lot of work.
>>
File: Successor_39_s_Legacy (1).webm (2 MB, 779x453) Image search: [Google]
Successor_39_s_Legacy (1).webm
2 MB, 779x453
I have no motivation to work on it but whatevs
>>
How do I get started with learning how to code? I want to use unity or gamemaker.
>>
>>337914924
>i've never played Disgaea
on 4chan? you lie. Fuck off.
>>
>>337915070
That's a cute grill anon.
>>
>>337915634
ive never played video poker either and for the same reasons
>>
>>337915493
Hey, this is a good reference, thanks. I'll try to add a bit more bounce to the movement (they're actually doing a little hop but it's probably too small to notice).

>>337915502
I remember your game anon. Where's the animal companion character in your webm?

Don't give up. You could come to /agdg/ if you want to post progress.
>>
File: fanart1.png (525 KB, 618x860) Image search: [Google]
fanart1.png
525 KB, 618x860
>>337915745
Some cool person drew fan art of her (and other characters from /agdg/ games)
>>
>>337906141

You could call it something like Shape Slasher or something.
Just make everything different shapes and give them different personalities.
Instant meme game of the year right there
>>
>>337916118
>(they're actually doing a little hop but it's probably too small to notice).

do remember disney 10 laws of animations

one of it is that when you are making 2d shit, you make your animations impressive and noticeable. go wild.

screw the muh realism autists

you are here to entertain people with your game, not depict the lives of whiny autists

that's something that 3d graphics can never do. and why they are buttblasted all the time with 2d.
>>
I've given up until I can find an artist. With my drawing skills, there's no point in continuing.
Maybe I'll work on a game with a very minimalist art-style.
>>
>>337916448
>that's something that 3d graphics can never do

3D can do over the top expressive stuff, it's just notably harder
>>
>>337916494

it is also quite jarring.
>>
>>337902178
If they added some support for rigging and animation it would be perfect for modders.
>>
>>337915528
>pick a book of your desired language
>read the first chapter
>understand the first chapter
>do all exercises
>move on to the next chapter
>rinse and repeat until you reach the end of the book
>>
>>337916843
What's a good language that would be compatible with those programs? I know gamemaker is weird, but is there anything keyed towards it that it could use well?
>>
>>337917185
Game Maker's language GML is similar to Javascript. You can pick up the fundamentals just by doing the most basic Javascript tutorials (e.g. ones that cover variables, expressions, if statements, for/while loops).

Or you could just watch / play along with the GM tutorial videos here: http://www.yoyogames.com/learn (download the free version of GM:S).

--

Unity is C#. You'll likely have to spend a bit more time reading up on it as it's a bit more complex of a language. If you're a complete beginner I'd recommending going with GM, since it's better for 2D games and way, way faster to get a prototype up and running (which makes you less likely to give up, trust me). Plus after a lot of experience with GML you should be able to quickly transition to other languages (assuming you didn't get slack and pick up bad habits).
>>
I wonder if any pro devs (as in, works for major development studios) browse these threads
>>
>>337917948
Thanks anon, I'll go give it a try. I appreciate the help!
>>
I wanted to make a game, but I'm going to just make an animated short film for now.
>>
getting a bit insecure on the actual quality of my game.

all the reviews I get for it praise the gameplay but shun the graphics.

I'll make a kickstarter to hire a better colorist so that my shitty coloring doesn't rape my friend's lineart.

but what if it doesn't succeed? is the gameplay appealing enough to get your attention and make you want to fund/buy it? what is missing them? I'll make sure the game has enough and fun content too, so the too short/too little criticism wouldn't apply too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNmbHkNFZ5Y

also I need a new trailer since this one is old, busted, and a bit bad.
>>
>>337917948
so, starting with java is the best way to ease into the coding experience?
>>
>>337918840

desu, your art is really terrible and kikestarters need extremely good art to succeed

also you don't have a unique or good enough hook for your game.

a reason for someone to actually be interested in your game.

so basically the crowdfunding won't work unless you put a very low goal or try to ham it up with the gaming press about being oppressed by others regarding your unique sexuality.
>>
Gonna start learning how to use UE4. I have some experience with Unity and I know C++ so I guess it shouldn't be too hard.
>>
>>337906141
make them tarrot cards. boom instant 2deep4u lore and a reason to make everyone a rectangle
>>
Any tips you guys could give to a complete beginner?
I'm planning to use GameMaker, starting with some tutorials to get how it works.
I got lots of ideas, but I was thinking on working in some small, varied games first instead of using them all.
What are some things you'd like to have known when starting?
>>
>>337919605
I work as a software developer now. My main introduction to programming was Game Maker in highschool (back when version 5/6 were the latest).

If you're super new and just want to learn programming to make games as a hobby, I'd still recommend Game Maker. If you want more serious / non-game programming, I'd recommend JavaSCRIPT (note: not "Java").

Either way, as long as you start with the basics that are the same in 99% of languages (variables, expressions, if statements, for/while loops) you should be able to easily adapt to any language.

>>337918840
Anon, I've seen your game a bunch in the past (but not recently). I agree that the art needs work, but kickstarter is a bad idea. Maybe in the early days it could've worked, but nowadays it's flooded with AAA quality beyond what 99% of indie devs can do. You either need an existing following (e.g. like undertale had) or top notch existing art to draw people in.

You'll have to figure out another way to improve your art (short of paying a bunch to commission art). Consider going for a less "realistic" style. Maybe try to stylize it a lot more. Does the game actually have to be in a realistic setting?
>>
I'm learning the ins and outs of Electron.js and Three.js, while also learning more about how to structure my code with requires and javascript OOP, which is kinda hard with the few documentation available for making a complete, structured Electron app.

I was planning on learning Unity but without a good IDE that's not Visual Studio (bloated piece of shit by Microsoft), I'm not ready to dwelve into having a huge codebase while using the equally shitty MonoDevelop.

Really hoping for Jetbrains Rider to be viable soon, that'll make me want to learn Unity further.
>>
File: luvvieDucksVideoIconV030.png (471 KB, 698x452) Image search: [Google]
luvvieDucksVideoIconV030.png
471 KB, 698x452
>>337887259
One roadblock, no one really wants to play a game about ducks.

I have just added a new progress video though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsU5DJIxTJg

Not a million miles away from finishing.
>>
>>337920181
Thanks a bunch for your help, anon. I do want to make games very much, and I want to learn coding, so I think ill start with GM.
>>
>>337914168
Looks like fun.
Are those all of the characters your team will contain or will there be some additions?
>>
>>337918692
can anyone tell me if this is a good path to go down or not? im an indecisive little slime so I cant figure it out on my own
>>
>>337919650
>>337920181
yeah, got it.

maybe i'll just have to study shading myself and try and save up to buy the rest of the art.
>>
File: notmuchwork.png (1 MB, 1279x720) Image search: [Google]
notmuchwork.png
1 MB, 1279x720
>>337887259
My only problem is that I don't have as much energy as I used too.
>>
File: 1463476666290.jpg (74 KB, 439x312) Image search: [Google]
1463476666290.jpg
74 KB, 439x312
How entry level is Unity? I've only ever used drag and drop shit from Clickteam. I don't know shit about programming either, I've always been an arts/assets guy.

Only other time I used Unity was in some high school class, but that was years ago, before it was easy to make 2D games in it.
>>
File: 0XI99oX.gif (422 KB, 500x211) Image search: [Google]
0XI99oX.gif
422 KB, 500x211
FRIENDLY REMINDER TO HELP ME BY DOING THE POLLS

Moonlight Magic FX
http://strawpoll.pl/4358/

Races
http://strawpoll.pl/4359/

Magic types
http://strawpoll.pl/4360/

RPGs
http://strawpoll.pl/4455/
>>
>>337923632
I think is easier to start than unreal in many cases.
For example unity comes empty, in unreal i've had a lot of problems because muh prefabs that i don't need and go to read the documentation.
>>
>>337923824
No rape in game = No buy

You have to ask for female body type preferences

http://www.strawpoll.me/10236961/r
>>
>>337888647
it's the "center" you define
>>
>>337922893
flip a coin
you'l decide while its mid-air what you really want
>>
>>337924634
One of the antagonists is a cliche loli demon with three forms so I'll be sure to add some suggestive stuff
>>
>>337923632
Unity's documentation is hands down far better than any other engine and you can poo in loo code much easier with it than with UE4. But I can't stand the fucking MADE WITH UNITY PERSONAL EDITION splash that you need to pay $1500 to remove so nah lad.
>>
>>337925000
that going to sell like bread.
>>
>>337925106
>monthly subscription.
I can live with the splash image, I'm currently planning to launch the game with the logo, i don't want to give money to Unity.
>>
>>337925346
Is Unity or Unreal monthly?
>>
>>337925240
Well I'm a sucker for gamey stuff, so I'm trying to put as many vidya cliches and campy stuff as possible

I especially love spell names, shit like "Omega Hyperblade" sounds so fucking dumb that it will perfectly fit horribly long spell effects.
>>
>>337925545
They both offer free options.
Unity is limited in features, whereas UE4 takes a 5% cut of all your revenue if you sell the game
>>
>>337925545
Yes, 12 obligatory months for unity.
Unreal is free except if you company has more than 100.000 dollars in revenue
And CRY ENGINE THE FUCKIN MONSTER CRY ENGINE IS FREE NOW WHAT ARE YOU WAITING TO GET IT!!!

(My english isn't good sorry mate)
>>
>>337925712
make wife very useful, in every game the marriage system is a piece of shit because Wmuh sexual diversity we can't add features that LGBT can't have".
Is very needed a pregnant system and a love well done like sims but better.
>>
>>337925545
Unity is free but has a monthly sub to remove the splash screen and some other stuff (or you can pay upfront), Unreal takes a 5%(IIRC) cut of your earnings. I think there is also some limitation with Unity that if you make over a set amount per year off your games you need to pay them.

In terms of pricing I think UE4 is better for someone starting out even if it does get more expensive if your game is successful. Most people starting out probably don't want to pay for the engine long before they're even seeing any returns but that's pretty much what Unity demands if you don't want the dumb splash screen which will immediately give your game worse reviews. You also get full source access with UE.

It's a shame Unreal has nowhere near as good beginner documentation and their whole code architecture idea is just so "enterprisified" that you can't really start spewing out code in the same way you can with Unity.
>>
>>337926059
That's the same that happen to me.
Unity:
>Create new scene
>Create a camera
>Press play
>You what happen

Unreal:
>Create new scene
>Create a camera
>Press Play
>Unreal doesn't use your camera
>Spam a lot of Indeed pawns
>You don't know why but there's activated a multiplayer layer
>Have a default controller which you don't like to start
>>
>>337926502
Sorry
>You know what happen
In unity end, my mistake.
>>
>>337924634
>Fast Tits
W-What?
>>
>>337926782
T-THEY'RE FAST!
>>
File: SON OF A BITCH.jpg (72 KB, 310x451) Image search: [Google]
SON OF A BITCH.jpg
72 KB, 310x451
>>337926898
FAST AT WHAT MOTHERFUCKER?
BOUNCING? JOBS? MILKING? GROWING?
>>
>>337924634
What is a fast tit and why do i want it so bad?
>>
>>337926782
It's an old porn video founded in some P2P softwares like Ares where a blonde chick with bigtits get fucked and the video is called "fast tits".

(I remember that the girl had written in her underwear "FUCK ME!")
>>
>>337927039
ALL OF THE ABOVE!
IS THAT A THING?
IT SHOULD BE!
>>
>>337926059
>t if you make over a set amount per year off your games you need to pay them.
yeah but that's around 80k so it's way more interesting than UE for indie and single people projects.
>>
>>337925106
>But I can't stand the fucking MADE WITH UNITY PERSONAL EDITION splash that you need to pay $1500 to remove so nah lad.
dude why? Nothing wrong with aknowledge your tools. You sound like a fraud that would make the game in unity and pretend it's not just for his ego trip.
>>
>>337928946
Because when I see that logo it immediately makes me think less of the game because I've yet to see a game that has that splash be anything other than trash.
>>
File: SpeedStorm.png (3 MB, 1812x1056) Image search: [Google]
SpeedStorm.png
3 MB, 1812x1056
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBDgu6IUCsw
Been working on my engine from scratch, no Unity or Unreal.
>>
>>337925106
>MADE WITH UNITY PERSONAL EDITION
1stly, No one cares.

2ndly if you can't afford a 1500 dollar license chances are high your game looks like trash regardless.
>>
File: assault_on_amphipod.webm (690 KB, 768x672) Image search: [Google]
assault_on_amphipod.webm
690 KB, 768x672
my main game is sleeping for now

my meme tier side project, however, is shaping up well
>>
>>337929913
how do you start making your own engine? like, do you open up notepad or something? or some other coding program
>>
>>337929913
the effect on new bricks entering is nauseating lad
>>
File: unity difference.png (53 KB, 1233x633) Image search: [Google]
unity difference.png
53 KB, 1233x633
>>337929967
The pro edition is a scam when it comes to features, nothing you'd pay will actually impact the games at all. Which is actually good for the devs.
>>
>>337929286
>when I see that logo it immediately makes me think less of the game
So you are just an idiot? wasted too much time on you then.
>>
>want to start designing and writing a duelist of the roses-esque tactical board game for fun
>can't start
I just need one good boost.
>>
File: CascadeToggle.png (3 MB, 1812x1056) Image search: [Google]
CascadeToggle.png
3 MB, 1812x1056
>>337930438
I use Visual Studio to code for C++ and wrote my own shaders for OpenGL. Though the way my scripting engine went, I ended up doing a lot of stuff in notepad.

>>337930567
We got a toggle for it
>>
>>337930951

just do it
>>
>>337905016
I could always go for a GB zelda clone. where to follow development?
>>
>>337931158
Have you tried adding a tilt-shift filter to enhance the toy look?
>>
File: IncreasedDOF.png (1 MB, 1812x1056) Image search: [Google]
IncreasedDOF.png
1 MB, 1812x1056
>>337933373
I already have a DOF effect applied, but I could increase the bias on that stage, which would look like this
>>
>Need to get an animator and a 3d guy
>Or become the animator and 3d guy
Christ this is not my strong suit at all.
>>
>>337935851
megaman legends tier lowpoly was the aim, but my last attempt at 3d stuff was years ago and it didn't go well at all.
>>
>>337904475
Pretty cool.

>that filename
One Armed Scissor?
>>
>>337935851
those bitches aren't low poly. But I guess they are models ripped from another game?
Nothing wrong for a beginner to do, though.
>>
>>337937365
Mean to say Rolodex Propaganda. I'm going to sleep now.
>>
>>337931158

It would be worthwhile increasing the contrast between the background and the foreground, especially in motion it's fairly difficult to make out the shape of the oncoming terrain compared to some of the other skin/themes
>>
File: 1463391878512.jpg (197 KB, 736x567) Image search: [Google]
1463391878512.jpg
197 KB, 736x567
>>337937446
> about 3k isn't considered low poly
>>
File: Fog.png (2 MB, 1812x1056) Image search: [Google]
Fog.png
2 MB, 1812x1056
>>337938878
Increasing the fog on that stage would help I think.
>>
I want to develop a game for steam and make monies, do I need to take classes? or I can learn by myself?
>>
File: trigger_door.webm (756 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
trigger_door.webm
756 KB, 1280x720
I now have trigger brushes that can activate movable ones.
>>
>>337917948

>If you're a complete beginner I'd recommending going with GM, since it's better for 2D games and way, way faster to get a prototype up and running (which makes you less likely to give up, trust me).

no..

C# is a proper language, GML is not. It's shit and certainly won't land you a job. It doesn't teach you anything about coding in general, nothing, zip, zero, 0.
>>
File: 1460765039261.jpg (14 KB, 289x297) Image search: [Google]
1460765039261.jpg
14 KB, 289x297
>>337942038
>>
>>337920181
>If you're new and want to learn programming
>JavaSCRIPT
>SCRIPT
>INTERPRETED
>NOT COMPILED
>SCRIPT

???
>>
>>337942773

what if you enter a trigger region while the door is still moving
>>
>>337943387
At the moment, doors start movement only when fully opened or closed.
>>
>>337942773

why is your computer greeting me in moon?
>>
>>337943330
scripts are programming it's just not machine code but an intermediate binary format to feed a "virtual console", aka a program that read programs
>>
File: 1459482457974.jpg (113 KB, 500x669) Image search: [Google]
1459482457974.jpg
113 KB, 500x669
I like RPGs because of the storytelling more than the game play. I'm curious if there's sort of a stigma around making a game solely for the purpose of telling a story rather than to be fun gameplay wise.

I don't really pay any attention to the culture revolving around video games but I've heard a couple quips on games because they relied too much on characters and story than the game itself.
>>
>>337943647
That's just testing Unicode support for my font rendering.
>>
>>337943685

why not just write a book then?

vastly less effort needed than making a video game.

if your book isn't popular, your game won't be either.
>>
>>337943916
because I enjoy the immersion of an interactive world more.
>>
>>337943675
You're telling a machine to do something, that's where the similarities end.

Programs are compiled, scripts are not. A script is not a program, a script is a script.

You're the kind of person that can't differ between assembly and assembler as well, yea?
>>
>>337943685
>I'm curious if there's sort of a stigma around making a game solely for the purpose of telling a story rather than to be fun gameplay wise
Of course there is. It has a lot to do with the fact that people who make video games to tell stories tend to fail at both.
>>
File: Captura de pantalla (234).png (225 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Captura de pantalla (234).png
225 KB, 1366x768
Which is the best way to make hair for anime or americanime style (more like frenchanime), i'm still trying with many ways, but i want to listen some opinions.
>>
>>337944045
then make a VN faggt
>>
>>337943685
I've never understood people who value story above gameplay desu. Game stories are usually shit compared to literature.
>>
>>337944073
Of course a script in a program and is compiled dumn ass, a program is a series of instructions operated upon by a computer. Scripts are not pre-compiled they are compiled using a just in time compiler at run time.

Source: I know this because I am a programmer and a computer science graduate.
>>
File: BqUjnSG.png (617 KB, 1588x891) Image search: [Google]
BqUjnSG.png
617 KB, 1588x891
How to make floor seams more natural? Should I just add more objects, like in bloodborne?
>>
>>337945037
depends on the style of the hair, for Goku pointy kind of look, you might want to go vertex by vertex, if it's more like your pic, then making it by extruding a plane like you are will do the trick.
Making anime hair is prob the most complicated hair to do, cause there are no tools or good tutos out there to help you out.
>>
>>337943685
>stigma
a game with no game content isn't a game, that's the "stigma".
>>
>>337945692
Yeah that the problem i'm currently copying the unity chan hair but i want to create my own technic, I'm looking to how some nippon game do it.
>>
>>337944073
You dared to pretend to be a dev? The fuck kid, you never openend a fucking book in your life.
>>
>>337943685

There's a stigma on /v/ because /v/ likes gamey games but it's a perfectly valid genre with a genuine audience
>>
>>337943685
If you make a jrpg, you should nail a battle system that is fresh enough and then you can focus on your story
>>
>>337945692
It's working!
:)
>>
File: Captura de pantalla (236).png (251 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Captura de pantalla (236).png
251 KB, 1366x768
>>337946452
sorry forgot to post the pic related
>>
>>337945653
If you make that bar out of stone in could work
>>
>>337946579
>>337946452
Awesome man, looks good, keep it up!
>>
>>337946579
Barbara Feldon?
>>
>>337887259
so I want to make a school simulation as I play as the damn principle what engine should I go with, with somewhat simple graphic
just imagine prison architect but with school and students replaces prisoners
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 56

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.