[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dark Souls 3 as a whole
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 42
File: images.jpg (9 KB, 196x257) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
9 KB, 196x257
Disregarding DLC and most likely the fact that everything has yet to be discovered, post your reasons why or what reasons you dislike this game for.

I personally think this game is almost one big diminished return. Although it has increased graphics, new bosses, weapons and a couple other things--it ALSO has what we've already experienced.
Rehashed consumables, rehashed weapons and shields, stupid ass Sunlight covenant bullshit, rehashed story line, rehashed NPC'S--it's just terrible.
Of course I'm aware that this game is a cash grab but come on.
Dark souls 1, Blood Borne, and Demon's Souls all were new experiences as opposed to Dark souls 2(at least attempted to do some stuff different(, and 3 bringing very little to the table.
>>
b8
git gud
>>
Game is good. With a couple of major flaws those being weapon variety and PvP.

Still an 8/10 and I imagine they'll do some sort of Scholar of the first Sin edition that will fix things up
>>
Not enough bosses.
Not enough boss variety.
So many "large humanoid swings around a big weapon in a 50-Hit combo" bosses
>>
I hate how linear it is. There's barely any sequence breaking.

Combat is simplified. All the flashy shit added nothing to the game really.

The pacing is shit after Irithyll of Boreal Valley. Areas become shorter then it's boss fight after boss fight.
>>
It wasn't just the areas or themes being reused as much as so many of the same enemies popping up again and again.
>>
Let's also not forget the fact that there were way too many bonfires. Dark souls 2 made that mistake and that's at least justifyable since it was their first accident but Dark Souls 3 is supposed to be an improved installment. Jesus christ.
>>
>>337810450
>Rehashed consumables, rehashed weapons and shields,

Literally nothing wrong with this.

Would you have been more happy if they renamed everything and gave it a different picture?

20 years ago you would be the faggot saying "wow the mushroom makes mario bigger again? rehash!"

Just shut the fuck up
>>
I'm noticing that these threads have been slowly turning on DS3. At this rate DS3 will be considered worse than DS2 and we'll get tons of threads about how "at least DS2 poise isn't broken and it isn't full of cathedrals"
I fucking hate you guys
>>
9/10

Weapons - great
Bosses - pretty fucking awesome, even Wolnir was decent. Ancient Wyvern was the best location-boss in the series.
Level design - great
Graphics - good
>>
File: images-14.jpg (17 KB, 363x405) Image search: [Google]
images-14.jpg
17 KB, 363x405
>>337810450
I think the bosses are the best of this game.

I hate that magic/faith are not viable until you at the end of the game and even then the way you have to fight is horrible because it last too long to cast a spell even when the ring and high dex.

Areas are meh.

Rehashed NPCs actually pissed me off, specially pic related.

All in all a good sequel but not as good as the "originals" (DeS, DS and BB).
>>
Since they rolled back the recent patch, is the stuttering fixed? and are there still hackers soft banning people?
>>
>>337811751
>that's at least justifyable since it was their first accident but Dark Souls 3 is supposed to be an improved installment
>DS2
>2
>first
>2
>>
>>337811896
but i like the cathedrals
>>
>>337811904
I've only ever used faith to supplement low estus at the beginning of the game and it is still useful for that in this game
>>
Yeah, its basically a DS1 rehash

Which doesn't mean its bad, but its really nothing we haven't seen before
>>
It was my first souls game and I enjoyed it enough to order the previous in the series.
>>
>>337811491
What do you mean by linear?
>>
>>337811996
reading comprehention anon, DaS was a masterpiece of a game, and DaS2 was an accident of a sequel, DaS3 is supposed to be better than DaS2
>>
One major flaw is too much linking back to 1. It barely has it's own identity. The other 4 soulsborne games all felt like the were their own things
>>
>>337810450
>Dark souls 1.5 : Bloodborne edition
If I wanted cancer PvP, or cancer in general, I'd go back to playing DkS I.
>>
>>337811830

I'm talking about how it brings nothing NEW to the table you dumb fuck. Read you fucking centipede.
>>
>>337812070
I meant magic and faith builds.
>>
It revealed who Gwyn's firstborn was which is cool

Uh

Other than that, I can't think of much that made it stand out
>>
I dislike posie being disabled and the weakness if magic at anything but sl120. Dislike how everytime I invade it's a 3v1.

I like just about everything else. Best bosses in the series. I would even say it has the best plot of any souls game as well
>>
>>337812143
das3 is way better than das2 are you kidding me
>>
>>337812284
>It revealed who Gwyn's firstborn was which is cool
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought DS1 already did this.
>>
>>337812441

Only if you subscribed to shitty reddit memes
>>
>>337812152
this is a sequel afterall.
maybe it wouldn't seem so jarring if Ds2 had any continuity within the series whatsoever.
>>
>>337811896
>I'm noticing that these threads have been slowly turning on DS3.

Because it's legit not a particularly good game and some people take longer than others to realise this.

Not sure i'd say it's as bad as DaS2 but it's in the same ballpark. It actually made me appreciate certain things about DaS2, like the fact that they at least attempted to progress the story unlike DaS3 which is almost the exact same shit as DaS1.
>>
File: 1384702896210.png (712 KB, 766x706) Image search: [Google]
1384702896210.png
712 KB, 766x706
>"you remember how in dark souls 2 we had 2 completely broken covenants that didn't even begin to work until the player got to ng+?"
>well we put them back in, as is
>oh we also sandwiched darkmoons in between them because they were blue right? who cares fuck off

t.memezaki
>>
>>337811830

And if you hadn't noticed...there are a fuck ton of DIFFERENT...NEW mushrooms and I that do different things. Having the same mushroom would stale the game you dumb fuck.
This asshole.
>>
>>337812174
>>337810450

Yeah, the problem about videogames and now movies is that everything is about the name, the franchise, and companies just create a model and stick to it until all the good and "artistic" things about the game dry or become a parody of itself. No risk, just make better graphics. And people claim to hate remakes... What a joke.
>>
>>337812537
I understand. But, some stuff just felt like fan service. Just personal opinion
>>
>>337811751
>too many bonfires
Is that really true? It's been a long time since i played DaS but i think the stretches between DaS3 bonfires weren't shorter than the ones in places like Blighttown or Anal Rodeo.
>>
File: image.jpg (94 KB, 736x629) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
94 KB, 736x629
Traded this for Doom today. Haters gonna hate.
>>
>>337812137
How areas are only connected from their ends instead of having shortcuts and multiple entrances. Having more than one branching path.
>>
I don't like how covenants work currently for the most part.

Sunbros are great.

Aldrich Faithful are good at specific level brackets.
Blue Sentinel and Darkmoon are good at very specific level brackets (from what I've heard, in my experience they're trash)
Watchdogs are active at very specific level brackets

Moundmakers seem cool but I haven't tried them yet.

and overall the rewards for ranking up for most of them are extremely underwhelming.
>>
>>337812554
Its been 2 weeks and Im still waiting to be summoned as a pawlice.
>>
>>337810450
After playing it I relized why Miyasaki said he never wanted to do sequels. Not that this is a bad game but I can't understand how people gave ton of shit to DS2 and not this one.
>>
>>337811751

Perhaps I should've said bad bonfire placement instead. Dragonslayer Armor and Grand Archives is a prime example. Like seriously wtf? You can literally see them within the distance.
>>
File: 1371647111788.jpg (40 KB, 355x417) Image search: [Google]
1371647111788.jpg
40 KB, 355x417
>try to play the game like I would Dark Souls 1 ie turtle behind a shield and wait for an opportunity to strike
>get my shit absolutely wrecked by the first lothric knight
>do what they do and mash r1 wildly with a straightsword ala how you play boodborne
>combo him down without a scratch
>>
>>337810450
Im enjoying it. Feels way easier than Dark Souls though. I got bored with DS 2 and stopped playing it 20 hours in.

My only complaints with DS 3 are not enough weapons, and too many covenants/characters talking to me.

I play DS to die over and over as I fumble my way through a mysterious, dangerous world. I dont need anime-inspired npc's on every single level.

And its way, waaaaay too easy. But still fun, and better than most games these days.
>>
File: NsdgaP5.jpg (48 KB, 600x375) Image search: [Google]
NsdgaP5.jpg
48 KB, 600x375
NG+ and beyond is far too easy, and offered nothing new.

Most of the bosses are too easy. There are some good ones, but not really enough. Too many gimmick fights as well - one or two is fine, but we have Deacons, Yhorm, Ancient Wyvern, Wolnir, Greatwood. That's a quarter of the total bosses, just too many.

Ending was lame, story wise.

No interesting covenants. The other games didn't really have any either, but I was hoping for something more creative.

Button push queuing. Why?!
No invasions after boss death. Why?!
No bonfire ascetic mechanic. Why?!

Overall it's probably still my favorite Souls game, but those are the downsides I've found most prevalent.
>>
>>337810450
The lack of weapon viability and diversity really sucks. I don't mind rehashed areas or similar boss fights (did a shit ton of new game + in DS and DS2), but fuck, most weapons aren't viable, and all weapons within a class have damn near the same animation. It's like they took a bloodborne approach of very few weapons, and then just turned those weapons into classes, and then decided longswords were just what everyone is going to use.
>>
>>337810450
All bosses are massive pushovers and way too easy to just mash down.

Linearity kills my motivation to replay, some areas are just downright horrible like the catacombs and smouldering lake.

The setting is the same ridiculously boring Dark Souls that got boring after 1, and the lore is the same nonsensical mess that doesn't even matter in the end because cycles lol.

The game balance is all around broken, heavy weapons are ridiculously inferior to faster weapons

Covenants and PVP are fucking garbage.

Music is disappointing after BB, and the aesthetics are inferior as well.

The blatant reusing of key items, locations, armors and even boss movesets are horribly lazy. Even the final boss recycles boss moves, character animations and even music from a game that came out 5 years ago.

Its still a fun game, but..... Its just so meh. Its vanilla. Its clean, its bland... its just all around dull for the most part.

Its the same crusty old souls game with barely anything new and hardly anything that rises above the other games. Its the most consistent in quality but it never reaches the heights of other Souls games.

hopefully the DLCs get me coming back because right now I'm more interested in playing Bloodborne after 800+ hours instead of Dark Souls 3 after 170+ hours.
>>
>>337813052

Even though I dislike how he said he doesn't like doing them and did so anyway, I can somewhat sympathize. Making a game that explodes in popularity only to say it's going to be the only one of its kind is a little hard to do, especially when the masses are demanding.
>>
>>337812847
with that logic DaS1 is linear
>>
My issues:
>atmosphere fell apart after Abyss Watchers
>Pacing also fell apart when tomb was right behind farron, and then valley.
>Profaned capital was a joke
>Besides the Lords of Cinder there should have been other bosses that interrupted the quest. (Ie. not Wolnir/Pontif) as they were just blocking the doors.
>>
File: tGpkmil.jpg (424 KB, 586x991) Image search: [Google]
tGpkmil.jpg
424 KB, 586x991
>pros
its the most consistent souls tied with bb thus far. it never dips to the lows that 1/2 do, even the weakest areas like demon ruins are miles better than the average places in 1/2.
bosses are among best in the souls series so far, for the base game at least, TOH remains better imo, but dlc is coming so that might change.
sound design/music is top notch.
everything feels great to use
>cons
it doesnt really have its own identity, it feels more like a "greatest hits" edition of all the games rather than its own thing.
too many old sets rather than new
boss mechanics in general. despite being far more aggressive and having a wider moveset, they added "easy mode" modifiers if you will. you can stagger almost every boss with few hits from a SS, even nameless king gets staggered in 6-7 hits from a basic longsword. parryable bosses are a stupid idea for dark souls, in BB in made sense, every boss had a huge hp pool so parrying didn't always trivialize the fight until much much later in the game. in this the hp pools are far too low to justify the stagger/parrys on them.
the world design while great is too linear
obvious cut content going to be repackaged as DLC. looking at you yhorms set + elite versions of some enemies. namely blue cape lothric knights. pic related if you dont know
absolutely TERRIBLE ng+, even BB and DS1 did it better. the hp/dmg boosts from ng>ng+ is pitiful at best. the only thing going for it is some new rings. one of the few things ds2 did right was adding a way better ng+ compared to the other games, new weapons, armor sets, rings, souls, red phantoms, etc.

overall i would give it a 9/10 despite those shortcomings, just barely under bb for my favorite souls game. heres hoping dlc will fix many of the problems and add some shit, but thats wishful thinking at best.
>>
>>337812965
the only good covenant reward is darkmoon blade and the ring if you really want the extra 2 slots. warmth is a literal joke, great lightning spear and oath are stupid considering the SSS weapon art is better for like half the faith investment, bloodlust or whatever is just a shitty uchi and all the others are just painfully average.

i just can't believe how bad warmth is. the fact that it made it into the final product screams "lazy fromsoft dev wanted to go home on time and couldn't be assed to come up with anything better"
>>
>>337813359
also to add to this
>weight values are in the game and affect rolling and other things
>armor can't be upgraded
>armor barely matters
good fucking job from, its basically useless to run anything other than medium sets.
>>
>>337813359

Holy shit, Catacombs is one of the best areas in the game, it's definitely the most fun to invade in on top of that.
>>
blue covenants are STILL fucked
>>
>>337813413
No, you can get to darkroot via 4 different routes.

In das 3 you can only enter an area one way and leave out the other.
>>
I really dislike how linear it is. That and how Lothric isn't connected to the rest of the world. It was extremely disappointing how you're just teleported out of the blue after defeating Aldrich/Yhorm. I would have liked to see another path from Ithryil back to the main path and into the castle. Weapon/armor variety is also lacking compared to DaS2.

That said, I still like the game almost as much as DaS1, and definitely much more than vanilla BB. It has some of the best areas in the series and after the dancer (included) all the bosses are top tier (except oceiros).
>>
File: images-27.jpg (21 KB, 221x665) Image search: [Google]
images-27.jpg
21 KB, 221x665
>>337812847
I agree. Even in Bloodborne when there was just an optional area that led to nowhere it felt connected and there was more verticality, just like DS1. Think about Old Yharnam leading you just below the bridge to Gascoigne, Hemwick that is at the back of the Cathedral, the Upper Cathedral that is on top of Cathedral Ward, the Forbidden Woods that are also below Yharnam, Yahargul next to the Cathedral and down to Old Yharnam... Everything felt that was revolving around the Cathedral just like an old catholic city.
>>
>>337813413
>can go to 4 different areas from Firelink Shrine alone, 2 of which are connected to multiple other areas
For example:
>New Londo leads to Blighttown which then branches off into the Depths, the Great Hollow and Demon Ruins
>>
Too much damn fanservice.
The worst maiden yet
Stormruler has no right to be in this game.
Who's idea was it to have another Dragon God?
A shitty Tower of Latria clone, now with jumpscares for Pewds and Mark with pliers to overreact too.
The same two Ass demons from DaS are back.
Havel for no fucking reason.
The worst final boss in the series with Gwyn's theme in the background to assure you this will be easy.
>>
>>337813661
>boring skeletons rehashed again and again from Dark Souls 1
>some easily avoidable traps and skeleton balls
>wheel skeletons because fun enemies amiright
>one of the worst bosses in the game
yaaah so gooood
>>
OP HERE:

It may be just me but I feel the A.I can be outright unfair. When I need a quick sip of my estus I back up and press X only to obviously notice how the A.I reads my input and reacts accordingly. Similarly when a tower knight or cleric knight have their shields up and I go to kick them, IMMEDIATELY they react with their counter move. Another example is the mad phantom near the Crystal Sage. Goes into focus mode and as soon as I press r1 he inputs his r1 in one frame later and losethe exchange because of his armor.
I'm not saying I shouldn't be punished for recklessly using estus, I'm saying it should be do easily noticeable--it's just bad.
>>
>>337813906

I also hated that teleport. Let us figure out that we have to go to Lothric ourselves, that would have made Dancer more of a surprise too.
>>
File: fatmousegun.jpg (18 KB, 380x383) Image search: [Google]
fatmousegun.jpg
18 KB, 380x383
How should one focus on leveling up stats as pyromancer?
Only thing I'm sure of right now is to put a point in dex to use the astora sword from the starter area but I'm not sure about how to balance things with health, mana and stamina.
>>
I miss life gems.
>>
File: 1460047109553.png (235 KB, 680x438) Image search: [Google]
1460047109553.png
235 KB, 680x438
I'm enjoying the heck out of this game however I'm still incredibly disappointed that this is the third and final installment and they still couldn't fucking get the netcode for multiplayer right.

Its fucking shameful for something to be that poor in 2016
>>
>>337814258

Well considering magic sucks you should just choose either DEX or STR to pump
>>
>>337814267
Why?
>>
>>337814231
That is just clever AI coding, making them act like real players.
They're bitches compared to earlier games but you can still cheese them.
>>
>>337813398
Well, he is the president now; he has to cave in. It is a shame he couldn't at least try to do something like a series in which each entry has a different setting and new mechanics, like the difference between DS and BB.
>>
>>337814060
>4 areas
>wich 3 of them can rekt you if you even try to go there

wew awesome non-linear game anon
>>
>>337814232
should've made Aldrich drop a Large Lothric Banner or something
>>
>>337814446
I'd rather have somewhere that will rek me if I go there, than have no option at all
>>
Bloodborne is superior as far as a video game goes

But DS3 is worth the money
>>
>>337814481
Or even just the bowl that emma drops?
>>
>>337810450
>post why you dislike this game'
what if i like it?
>>
>>337814390
they were neat

say if you ran out of estus you could just pop a life gem and it'd sustain you for longer

sure that'd make no sense when you have 15 fucking estus flasks, but from really screwed the pooch by letting you attain so many since it just makes NG+ stupidly easy.

DS2 had a good basis for a health system, a small number of estus that builds up to ~10 or so, but you also have life gems that slowly regain health and let you survive damage over time better.
>>
>>337814521

It's like having no options at all
>>
>>337812441
No. DS3 revealed that solaire was just a memeing fuck.
>>
>>337813278
>Button push queuing

>Press B
>get hit because I was too late
>"that's okay I'll be more careful next time
>character rolls anyways
>get hit and killed by a move the punishes immediate rolling even though I didn't want to roll anymore

Fucking disgusting
>>
>>337814710
The problem with lifegems is that you could hold 99. You could just stock up on them and pop a couple after every fight.

You're right about NG+, but DS3 was clearly balanced entirely for NG alone.

Life Gems could work if you could only carry 5 or so at a time.
>>
File: 1442343444757.jpg (8 KB, 279x229) Image search: [Google]
1442343444757.jpg
8 KB, 279x229
>>337814696
Then post why you like it so someone can call you a faggot
>>
Hi first time Dark Souls player, beat bloodborne, was hoping to get advice on stats. I chose a knight and I was curious on where to cap stats and if luck was worth investing in. Thanks
>>
>>337814696
You dont think it has any downsides?
>>
>>337814267
>>337814390
I miss them too. It added something more than just looking for titanite. You got a new one and wanted to see if it was better or you got a cursed one that gave you a lot of blunt damage but at a high durability cost. If you wanted the overpowered ones to wreck everything in PVP you had to make an effort and go to defiled dungeons.
>>
File: 1453237700041.png (177 KB, 347x433) Image search: [Google]
1453237700041.png
177 KB, 347x433
>>337814917
Is there a way to disable button queuing in a config file?
>>
>>337815040
um what?
>>
>>337814939
well obviously the 99 limit was a bit silly, but if it was down to 5 or maybe 10 it'd be a lot better

DS3 could have done that, but From simply chose to throw it out of the window
>>
>>337814267
>>337814390
>>337815040

Sorry, read it only as "gems"
>>
>>337815174

From seemed to disregard a lot of the improvements that DS2 made to the game.
>>
>>337814982
Play DS1 first.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (20 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
20 KB, 480x360
Is there anyone out there besides me that loved the item load burden in DeS? I miss that shit but it'll never make a return. It just make the game a little more interesting as you had to decide whether or not grabbing x item that weighs 10 lbs is worth it in the end. Now, we don't have to manage anything; here it is, here you go.
>>
>>337814446
>>337814810
Sequence breaking is for players who've already played through the game once and want a bigger challenge. That's the point of sequence breaking.
>>
>>337815356
Eventually but Im starting with 3.
>>
File: 1435346866469.gif (3 MB, 303x333) Image search: [Google]
1435346866469.gif
3 MB, 303x333
Do they plan on letting you carry more than 99 arrows ever? God what a stupid fucking thing to limit
>>
>>337814446
"Can" is a key word. Don't get hit.
You can also get stuff for specific builds much faster that way. Just do a suicide run and pick up that shit. Rather than having to complete 60% of the game to finally get your items or whatever.
>>
>>337813073

Areas developed independently with each boss having a bonfire.
>>
>>337813548
you could parry bosses in 2 as well. the difference being it didnt always do anything other than stagger the boss a few seconds. parrying sentinels gave you a few free hits, but parrying Dragonslayer was pointless because hed recover too fast.

whats dumb is that staggered bosses follow the extra damage mechanic too, and some can even be riposted
>>
>>337815478
I hear people bitch about this a lot, but I've never run out of arrows before reaching a bonfire. What the hell are you using all your arrows on?
>>
It's the least balanced in terms of combat, somehow. Thrust and greatswords dominate because of their really weird range. The visuals don't match the actual range. Straight swords are better for poking than fucking spears somehow.

This game has the worst covenants and the worst NG+. Only 4 covenants work legitimately out of the 8. The rewards for these covenants are not great.

Besides that, I think it has some of the best bosses, but worst level design. Most areas you can run through with no problem and with the absurd amount of bonfires you'll never be low on health. It feels like a step-back from Bloodborne.
>>
File: latest-8.png (58 KB, 200x208) Image search: [Google]
latest-8.png
58 KB, 200x208
>>337815408
I loved that he made me believe I had a heart of gold.
>>
>>337814446
>DaS 1 is linear
>Nah look at all these paths
>Waah those are too hard, it's linear
Sequence breaking is for players who know what they're doing, not you.
>>
>>337813278
Deacons, Wolnir, and Greatwood are fun though. Wyvern is fun the first time, but disappointing any other time.
>>
>>337813073
The Archives bonfire is there to make travel to the archives quicker, while the Dragonslayer bonfire is there to make the Twin Princes shortcut better.

What's the problem with having two bonfires so close, if the only thing between them is empty space?
>>
>>337815408
It added nothing to the actual gameplay, besides the illusion of good management for certain players
>>
>>337812552

>This is what /v/ contrarians actually believe
>>
>>337815649
Not him, but for me the linearity was more from the ramification design (areas that lead to two areas but doesnt connect to other areas) instead of the multilayered design created in DS1. See >>337814026
>>
>>337815638
Item storage only allows 99 as well, it wouldn't be a problem if I didn't have to warp back to shrine every 3 bonfires
>>
>>337815408
No. Fuck you. That shit was AWFUL. Seriously, fuck you.
>>
I feel like the game was trying way too fucking hard to reference the past games instead of just trying to be its own game.

The linearity sucks too because it makes it take longer to put together a build since some things are gotten so late in the game.
>>
File: 1463229027654.jpg (41 KB, 474x378) Image search: [Google]
1463229027654.jpg
41 KB, 474x378
>Mfw this is the first Souls game you don't have to quit and reload to complete a trade
>Mfw I lost the hello carving because of this

Going into Souls games no matter how many you've played always results in some sort of disappointment because they changed something that you should've looked up
>>
>>337816027

It's 99 per type though... so you really have 198 arrows on hand in between bonfires, plus a ridiculous amount of different types of arrows.

I don't really see the big deal, that's all...
>>
>>337816161
You didn't have to quit to trade in DS2...
>>
>>337816161
You didn't have to quit and reload in 2.
>>
>>337814267
I will make you eat the prisoner set you fagala.
>>
File: 1457889258824.jpg (37 KB, 627x463) Image search: [Google]
1457889258824.jpg
37 KB, 627x463
>>337810450
>bosses refill their HP bars an buff themselves after you've already killed them
>pvp is fucked beyond belief
>all that cut content
>if you die in another player's world, your bloodstain is in the spot that you died in that player's world
>has the most endings out of all other soulsborne games, but they are all pointless and don't give the player a sense of accomplishment
>>
>>337810450
The game does nothing that hasn't been done before and it's a rehash galore like no other. It's been three weeks since I last played it and I couldn't care less. Meanwhile I've played Bloodborne and even dark souls 1 in the meantime yet I simply don't care about this game.

It's just bland and an obviously rushed cashgrab.
>>
>>337816215
Certain arrows you can't purchase till after ashes or unlocking other people at Firelink.

For like the first 3 areas of the game if you're trying to do anything with a bow you're warping to and from Shrine way too frequently.
>>
File: download (1).jpg (7 KB, 189x266) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
7 KB, 189x266
I just want From to make the soulslike genre an anthology with unique settings, themes, and mechanics for each one.
>>
>>337816327
>>337816380

Is this true for Scholars?
>>
>>337816425
>has the most endings out of all other soulsborne games, but they are all pointless and don't give the player a sense of accomplishment

I agree with this but when you pussy and let the world go dark and stay with the firekeeper forever does feel nice
>>
>>337816659

Yeah
>>
>>337815836

An illusion..? How is making a decision on which items to pick up an ILLUSION? It wasn't an illusion as it FORCED you to make a choice.
That's like saying estus management is fake and adds nothing to the game. Come on now.
>>
Anyone still get online in ds1? I got invaded like once and im level 112 i believe. 18 more levels til im done with my build. Should i continue playing or lay it to rest and move on to ds2?

Im on pc
>>
>>337816425
>>has the most endings out of all other soulsborne games, but they are all pointless and don't give the player a sense of accomplishment
Every souls game ending is pointless. Hot damn son, did you miss the bit about cycles?
>>
>>337816659
True for vanilla and scholars.
>>
>>337815408
I liked it. I had to sacrifice some shit to pick up Biorr's armor though but I loved thinking about what I absolutely needed.
>>
>>337816425

But anon, multi-phase boss fights are great.
>>
>>337810450

>le dlc will fix it may may

it's fucking shit on a story perspective, dark souls 2 did way better than this shit and it was a horrible game, miyazaki apologists will defend this crap
>>
>>337812965
Mound makers is the perfect example of something that sounds cool on paper but in game its literally nothing: the covenant.
>>
Is this game a good entry point into the series? I imagine the flaws people complain about go unnoticed if you're new to Souls.
>>
>>337815408
>pick up item from environment
>shit's too heavy, it's sitting on the ground as a dropped item now
>if you leave to offload and come back, it'll have disappeared
Fuck you and fuck that entire system. I lost most of the Brushwood armor to that shit.
>>
>>337816709
>>337816794
Oh jesus I had no idea. I've been quitting and reloading the whole time.

I wonder why the item is deleted now in the third installment.
>>
>>337810450
>Dark Souls was an all new experience

Maybe if DaS was your first Souls game, if you played DeS first DaS was also just a rehash.
>>
>>337816895
Its possibly one of the hardest for newcomers. Its a good entry point though, you don't HAVE TO play the older games.
>>
>>337816161
Dark souls 2 did it too
>>
>>337816853
This dumbass hasn't seen a purple turn an entire fight around for no reason.
>>
>>337816705
>no qt fire keeper to hug for eternity in the dark abyss

:-:
>>
dark souls 3 in terms of overall quality

The story progression, the constant motivator, retrieve the cinders of lords, highlights the main characters of the game, and allows a really satisfying flow into the games world, developing the subplots around the lords, while also developing around the other characters and other lore developments.

Far too many have dismissed this because of how anor londo is in the game, when the references in dark souls 3, gwyndolin, dragonslayer armour, nameless king have all been handled really well, and actually develop and add to the world surrounding and encompassing lothric. Compare this in essence to old dragonslayer in dark souls 2 which is pretty much literally a copy paste job.

The NPC's in dark souls 3 are by far the best in the series, the branching and changing quests, the interactions between npc's, it's very nice, I enjoyed how they subvert traditions like patches actually being helpful with greirat, siegward is on a path to stop someone who has become lost (yhorm in his fallen to the abyss state) in comparison to how sieglinde had to stop siegmeyer, hawkwood's history with the abyss watchers and his own quest to become a dragon completely abandoning the crestfallen tropes of becoming useless, and leonhard's abandonment of what was presumably a lautrec like role, instead blaming the player for corrupting rosaria's soul and running off with her to gwynevere's room.

I heavily enjoyed the bosses, each one felt both unique from eachother mechanically, unique from one another thematically, unique in their purpose in the world, each one apart from ancient wyvern has multiphase dynamics and multi phase music transitions, and the music is both really fucking good, but also thematically distinct from each other, which differentiated it to the majority of BB's soundtrack to me apart from a few notable ones like ebrietas and gehrman plus the dlc themes.

cont.
>>
>>337816895
>is the final game in the series a good entry point for the series

Did you really just ask this question. Do you listen to yourself.
>>
>>337816947

You can also leave multiple items (not stacks, single items) and then pick up the trades all at once.
>>
File: elite come on.png (199 KB, 495x309) Image search: [Google]
elite come on.png
199 KB, 495x309
>>337816895
>is the [fifth] game a good entry point into the series?
>>
>>337817060
>oh my god I'm so le random xD

yeah no
>>
>>337816895
I'd play Dark 1 first at the least. 3 is a pretty much a sequel to it.
>>
>>337817073

Atmospherically, I think Oceiros, twin princes, soul of cinder, nameless king, abyss watchers, champion gundyr, pontiff sulayvahn, aldrich, yhorm, dancer of the boreal valley, and deacons of the deep are the standout players, but that's only because they are all fantastic bosses, both musically, visually and how the fight feels, they did a great job at making the lords of cinder in particular emphasised by the embering.

The area design is the most satisfied I have felt in the entire series with, the long winding layouts, the constant use of shortcuts, and the sheer variety in the game is really done well, irithyll's icy blue gaze, archdragon peak's completely opposite feeling to the rest of the game, lothric castle and grand archives royal feeling along with that sense of wonder that's given by the vast pilgrim butterflies and darksign sun, along with the sense of scale you get with the great shortcuts, the huge rise tower in farrons keep, the entirety of cathedral of the deep, the entrance of smouldering lake, the view of profane capital from within irithyll, and it's vertical presence, the bleakness of untended graves, I absolutely loved how each area felt both natural and flowing within the world, yet heavily distinct from one another.

The world design, while certainly less interconnected than the other games, works well due to the distinct acts of progression, start-abyss watchers - carthus - yhorm - lothric-end, the game constantly gives you points of reference that never really fail like dark souls 2's odd geography decisions, and it's unreliable viewpoints, drangleic castle and dragon aerie for example, whereas points of reference are constantly available in dark souls 3, see irithyll-undead settlement, smouldering lake - irithyll dungeons entrance., high wall - the world, or undead settlements tower's giant and the white trees for four great ones

Cont.
>>
>>337810450
Great improvement on DS2. Considering I can actually play it on my PC, I liked it
>>
>>337816895

Play Dark 1 first. A lot of cool shit will go over your head if you don't.
>>
>>337817107
Wow, it's so easy to tell who's been killed by a grapist.
>>
Demon's Souls and Bloodborne were the only games that felt extremely fresh and original, specially Bloodborne. Dark Souls 1 was outstanding but it rehashed an obnoxious amount of things from Demon's Souls, although in a more subtle manner than Dark Souls 2 and 3 did.

Studio Japan is the real A Team.
>>
>>337817080

But it actually is a good entry point. All the more frustrating aspects of the first games have been fixed, and it's got a good balance of challenge for new players. The story is also so interpretive that it doesn't really matter what order you play them in; seeing Anor Londo will be surprising no matter what order you play the games in.
>>
>>337817239
>>337816895
There are a ton of DeS stuff in DS3. He should start with that.
>>
>>337817073
>The story progression, the constant motivator, retrieve the cinders of lords

>the main reason of Ashen One existence is his duty to link the fire
>no one gives a fuck if you chose End of Fire or Usurpning
>>
File: 1430591108890.jpg (80 KB, 687x822) Image search: [Google]
1430591108890.jpg
80 KB, 687x822
>>337816853
>Making a Katana build
>See Bloodlust as a reward
>Its garbage
>Go with Washing Pole
>>
>>337817080
>>337817105
>>337817143
>current year
>caring about dark souls "story" or "lore"
>>
>>337816731
Not him, but item management doesn't mean much when you only really need the equipment you're wearing, maybe a few extra backup things along with some consumables and you can just leave everything else in storage or sell stuff.
>>
>>337817105
>>337817080
Don't be stupid. There are many series out there where the earlier iterations are not the best entry point as they had some glaring issues.
>>
This game just felt weak in the atmosphere department. Only notable areas that instantly come to mind are Central Irithyll, Archdragon Peak, and that's it. Every other area is either average or entirely forgettable. Compare that to all the memorable areas in DaS1, it just feels really underwhelming. The linearity of the game doesn't really help it either.
>>
I fucking hate how every enemy is flipping off the walls with unlimited stamina.
>>
>>337817176

Overall I just feel the game has the highest consistency of any of the games, the bosses, areas, story and lore were all both very satisfyingly memorable to me, I was never bored.

By comparison, I felt demons souls held the second highest level of "consistency" amongst the souls games, and while I certainly don't find the pve as interesting, and I dislike a lot of the music, the games lore and plot is really well done, and differs in many ways to how souls and bb was handled, it felt much more like a closed off tale that didn't need to be expanded on, it was relatively simple and worked well because of it and how it gave motivations to the characters.

Dark Souls 1 has stunning and memorable bosses, even more so than any other game in the series, but unfortunately, like demons souls, this hasn't prevented them from aging mechanically, and a lot of the ones that were revered, are quite simple and less satisfying in terms of mechanics, but they are designed so well, and feel lovingly put in the world, vary and have purpose in the world. The game certainly drops off at anor londo though, I feel the later areas lack a certain "importance" to the games events, by way of them lacking player progression feelings, and feeling more vacant due to the rushed content.

Dark Souls 1's dlc is largely fantastic, with memorable npc encounters, a living breathing world feeling, and memorable, challenging to this day bosses.

Dark Souls 2's base game's myriad of problems prevent me from enjoying it to it's full potential, the tracking, hitbox issues etc are very disappointing.

Dark Souls 2's dlc has perfect level design, utterly perfect. Large senses of verticality and unwasted points of reference, the only disappointment were some of the bosses, and an overall feeling of a lack of npc's.

Cont.
>>
>>337811904

The only good part of this game are some bosses and the level design, but everything else is mediocre forgettable vanilla souls, it completely lost flavour, it's not original nor inventive, the only things it adds are "le deep" and other bullshit that clearly doesn't get any explanation due to impending DLC jewery, it borderline seems like a cash grab, souls is officially dead.
>>
>>337817272
>implying

This shitty covenant is literally I'm Not Like The Other GirlsxD: The Covenant. A pretentious shit that only a braindead who never played any Souls game before would fall to and only during the first few weeks. Stop with this MUH WILD CARD shit and go back to redit already.
>>
>>337812810
It not entirely true. It seems that bonfires are placed in threes with long as stretches in between the groups.

>Bonfire before boss.
>Bonfire in boss room
>Bonfire right after boss room (beginning of next area)
>long stretch of nothing in between pretty boss bonfire.
>>
>>337817347
If you don't care about the lore, then you're just paying for another tanky artificial difficulty mess.
The fact that nothing important happens in this "final chapter" of the series is a fucking outrage.
>>
>>337817302

Sure, but that's mostly nods in terms of names and items. DaS 1 has the most significance in the game world.

But yeah, DeS is a good place to start if you have a PS3.
>>
>>337817412

BB drops off for me at cathedral ward, because of various area design/bosses reasons, along with the game's scattered approach to rewarding area design. I dislike how the game approaches with it's lack of plentiful npc's, but also at the same time enjoyed the atmosphere this gave off, it was kind of conflicting, I felt that a lot of the games bosses were frustrating in terms of mechanics, celestial emissary, rom, and shadows of yharnam multiple enemy encounter design, the larger health pools of the bosses in general, and while this for me, didn't add a lot to the difficulty of the bosses, it certainly made them more tedious.

The old hunters I was conflicted with as well, although it certainly added a ton to the game, it was still lacking a bit on the npc side of things, and felt dissonant after how well bb approached world design around the cathedral ward, other than the nightmare areas, I felt laurence and the living failures were fundamentally not very good bosses, orphan was very, but ludwig was mixed, his first phase seemed designed for player frustration with the awkward hitbox on the jump and charge attacks, luckily his second phase was brilliant.

If I had to rate the series, I'd probably go:

DaS3>DaS=DeS>BB>DaS2

If I was rating them as games on mechanical levels including bosses, combat, weapons, spell, armour variety and encounter design I'd say:

DaS3>DaS>BB>DaS2>DeS
>>
>>337817239

Nothing will go over his head, he'll simply experience the connections in the reverse order. Instead of, oh that's the Item/NPC/Boss I remember from DS1, it'll be the Item/NPC/Boss I remember from DS3. It still works with a game like Dark Souls, where the story is completely piecemeal.
>>
>>337814423

he is a fucking hack, there could've been a miriad of ways to end the series, yet he makes a super vague game because of marketing and to futureproof the IP for more shitty sequels, he is an asshole of highest caliber, fuck him
>>
>>337817360
>>337817347
>>337817297
>starting the series with DaS3
>missing literally every single reference and call back to previous games
>not just playing the fucking games in order like a normal person

I bet you retards tell people to start Metal Gear Solid with MGS3.
>>
>>337817416
You don't have to resort to the reddit boogieman to make yourself look better anon. Nothing can help that.
>>
My only major disappointments are the fact that we STILL don't have a swamp level as perfect as the Valley of Defilement. Blighttown was close, however.

My other issue is the lack of level interconnectivity. Levels connect within themselves brilliantly, but we don't have anything like first half of Dark Souls 1.

All in all, if I had to rank them
BB > DeS > DaS > DaS3 > Scholar > DaS2

I love them all unequivocally.
>>
>>337816951
The interconnected world added some new flavor. It gave you a bigger sense of wonder. The story and NPCs have an entirely different atmosphere than DeS.
>>
Needs poise 7/10.
>>
>>337817382
I never felt like it had any atmosphere at all whatsoever except when I handed the eyes to the firekeeper or when I was fighting Lothric and Lorian. Everywhere else it just felt like one of those dull arcade games you just turn your brain off and keep mashing the buttons just because. I never felt anything or cared about anything because the game never gives you any reason to do so.
>>
>>337817558
Like a retard you're assuming he's going to go back and play the previous games.

Just shut up.
>>
>>337817564
Whats the difference between remembering Gwyndolin from DS1 and remembering Gwyndolin from DS3?

DS1 works just as well as a prequel as DS3 does as a sequel.
>>
>>337817564
Alright, keep being stupid.
>>
>>337816751
DS meta is 80 isnt it?
>>
>>337817590
>look better

You realize this is an anonymous board, right? You're the one trying to impress anonymous people by pulling this wild card shit. Fuck off, tryhard.
>>
>>337817338
> Washing Pole is back, anddddddd having same speed with extra range, tradeoff with high stamina
Shiiiiteeee , never consider to use other katanas since then
>>
>>337817505
I've played this series for over 3500 hours and give no shits about lore. Its the same shit in every Souls game, at least Bloodborne did something really unique and interesting.
>>
I think dark souls 2 is a more enjoyable game.
>>
>>337817517

>Firekeeper being a direct copypaste of Maiden in Black, being in all black, being blind, and having the same lines "touch the x inside me" "these souls withdrawn from their vessels" "sorry I cant die"
>Gundyr's armor being Old King Doran's
>Storm Ruler
>Firelink's design being the same as the Nexus, with the stairs' layout and the thrones in the place of the Archstones
>Twin Princes' GS being a reference to the Northern Regalia
>stomping on the Firekeeper's head in the Alternate Dark Ending
>Karla being a direct copy-paste of Yuria
>Greirat with Loretta's Bone being the same as Thomas and his daughter's brooch

Seriously they should just start with DeS.
>>
>>337815598
yea, its pretty stupid they added this shit. if they removed the parryable bosses/stagger mechanic, and added more hp, i would safely say this is the hardest souls. but i cant due to those.

>>337817523
> larger health pools of the bosses in general
is this really a bad thing though? bb alleviated some of the problem by adding the whole parry/visceral thing, were you could take out huge chunks of their hp bar. i really would like some ds3 bosses with 2x their hp or more, as it stands now they're too weak imo.
>>
>>337817073
>>337817176
>>337817412
>>337817523

I agree with most of your points even if I'd nudge BB above DaS (base game was kind of a mess, fucking vanilla Izalith).
>>
>>337817915
No.
>>
>>337817915
this
>>
>>337817558

The whole crux of the final boss reveal relies upon you having played Dark Souls.
>>
>>337817827
Exactly, I don't even know if I'd use Chaos Blade at this point.

Not like there's a durability problem in pvp
>>
File: 1431552711928.gif (2 MB, 250x216) Image search: [Google]
1431552711928.gif
2 MB, 250x216
>>337817602
Blighttown is better than 5-1 but not 5-2
>tfw finding the Large Sword of Moonlight for the first time on your third play through
>>
>>337817945

Nigga I agreed with you that he should start with DeS if he had a PS3, what do you want?

Also, those are nods and shoutouts. There are at least three bosses off the top of my head that have direct significance to DaS1.
>>
Can I post why I like DS3?

DS1 was amazing, lost momentum and never bothered to finish DS2. DS3 feels like a victory lap and it's the best of the series as far as I'm concerned. It refines a lot and builds on the best the series has to offer.
>>
>>337818078
It seems that way, until you realise that you still know literally nothing about that boss that you didn't know in DS1, except that he's dead now. Even though it's clear that bosses don't stay dead anyway (Gwyndolin, Ornstein).

There is no story revelation associated with NK, it's just gratuitous fan service.
>>
>>337812441
dude solaire lmao
>>
>>337812441
Nameless King
>>
>>337810450
Could have more interconnectivity
>>
>>337817815

Calm down internet warrior, you spelled reddit wrong. That's where anything you don't like comes from right? A phantom that can hit whoever they want is reddit incarnate, being shilled by me, god king of reddit. At least your impotent rage would want everybody to think that.
>>
>>337818078

Everyone seems to fucking hate SoC being a rehash of Gwyn. What story element does SoC shed light on? What is the crux you speak of?
>>
>>337811751
Agreed. There weren't many long stretches that created tension and some bonfires were just retarded like the one at the entrance to the Grand Archives. You can literally see it from the Dragonslayer's Armour bonfire.
>>
>>337817602
Agreed. Valley of Defilement is one of my favorite areas. Only problem are the first two bosses. Maiden Astraea as a boss is perfect.
>>
>>337817962
The problem here is that I would have preferred for the bosses to all have faster and more aggressive mechanics like the blood starved beast and fasther gascoigne as you progressed, without relying on large bloated health pools.

Orphan of kos and laurence in particular were two examples where I just couldn't think of a justification for the health pools being so god damn large, other than their position as DLC bosses.
>>
>>337818676
>go through carthus after abyss watchers
>kinda neat, it's been a while since I saw a bonfire
>oh there it is
>oh there's one at wolnir
>oh there's one outside the cave
>oh there's one after watchdog of the old lords
I can't disagree about the lack of tension.
>>
>>337817945
>Crystal Sage is literally Fool's idol
>Ancient Wyvern is Dragon God redone
>Prison of Hope segment that eventually leads to some gargoyles/Maneaters
>Irina and Eygon are Astraea and Garl Vinland
>>
>>337818375

You really want to die on this hill, huh? Going in and realizing why the phase one movesets are so familiar, hearing those piano notes, and fighting a superior version of the most significant character in the lore are all things you miss by starting with 3.

Gwyndolin was optional, makes sense. Ornstein's kinda dumb, but lol illusions, fine.

Nameless King was an answer to a long asked question, why should it have to be tied to the story? It's no longer about the age of the gods.
>>
>>337815836
Added to immersion. It was more realistic than having infinite carry space.
>>
>>337819020
>>Crystal Sage is literally Fool's idol
>>Ancient Wyvern is Dragon God redone
Are you high

>>Irina and Eygon are Astraea and Garl Vinland
I knew I forgot something.

>Irithyl Dungeon being a clone of Tower of Latria, including the part where you rescue a spell merchant
>>
Good pve for a single run, then you notice the flaws and lack of variety, which paired with literally no point in NG+ deals a heavy blow to replayability.
Pvp a huge step down from 2 which used actually intentional cancellable animations to allow the slow combat to be dynamic, and made almost literally every weapon with a wacky special actually usable. This fucks replayability even further.
>>
>>337819042

I'm not saying those aren't cool moments, but you get lots of cool moments by playing the games the other way round as well. Talking to the Giant in Anor Londo would provide the same amount of feels as finding him dead would. Onionbros and Patches would still be a nice surprise, and seeing Anor Londo in all it's glory after only knowing it as a wreck would be fucking awesome.

You're claiming that you have to play the games in order for them to have the same impact, and I disagree.
>>
>>337818576

If you don't know who Gwyn was or what DaS played like, the final boss is just knight guy with two phases.
>>
>>337817523
>celestial emissary, rom, and shadows of yharnam multiple enemy encounter design

And yet you're fine with Deacons and Abyss Watchers
>>
>>337819292
You mean DS1 already immersion breaking by carrying infinite arrows ?
>>
File: maxresdefault2.jpg (946 KB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault2.jpg
946 KB, 3840x2160
>>337817945
>Gundyr's armor being Old King Doran's
This is a bit of a stretch
>>
>>337819406
I'm with the other guy on this. You can realize 'oh, so that's what this thing in ds3 was referencing' but it won't make you feel the chills when soul of cinder's theme hits the second phase.
>>
>>337810450
>Dark souls 1, Blood Borne, and Demon's Souls all were new experiences
>Dark souls 1
No.
>>
File: 1442417797415.jpg (33 KB, 276x255) Image search: [Google]
1442417797415.jpg
33 KB, 276x255
>Poise working as intended

How do you feel about this anons
>>
>>337819316
>Are you high
No CS is the exact same fight as Fool's Idol. A guessing game where you have to hit the right person and then that person disappears again. This time there wasn't 20 invisible traps laid out everywhere.

Ancient Wyvern/Dragon God both have you run to find a way to defeat the boss in a hit or two.
>>
>>337819780
Bandai namco are estoc fags, news at 11
>>
File: touch it.png (111 KB, 534x360) Image search: [Google]
touch it.png
111 KB, 534x360
>>337819661
>"Ancient armor of a set of cast iron armor, belonging to Champion Gundyr. Modeled after a former king."
>a former king

>BK crown design
>sixpack abs
>barefoot armor
>>
>>337819696

I think it's mostly because I never really got what the big deal was about SoC. When I hit second phase, the first thing I thought was, oh it's Gwyn? Okay.

I mean, Gwyn was one of my least favorite bosses in DS1, he was completely boring to me. The only thing I liked about the fight was the music, and that is present in both games...
>>
>>337819851
Yharnam did the same thing. You're forgetting Fool's Idol also revived if you didn't kill the ceiling faggot and also had mobs to show invisible traps.
>>
>>337819406

Alright, fair enough. I can agree on a difference in opinion.
>>
>>337819780

All the havelfags are butthurt at the moment about poise.

If they made poise like it was, all the dexfags and fashionfags would be butthurt.

You can still three shot people with a UGS, why is everyone so in love with the idea of poise?
>>
>>337818846
i agree bosses should have been made more aggressive, and having slightly larger movesets to boot. but it still wouldnt solve the main problems i had with them.
a lot of the bosses mechanics felt like they were made for bb.

they all stagger incredibly easy, you can visceral almost all of them, etc. and for what reason exactly? like i mentioned in a previous post, i can give bb a pass due to the parry mechanic. my guess is the bigger hp bars were to entice you to parry them, at 50skl you can eat 2k+ hp with one visceral, not even counting clawmark runes.

it really seemed like they were supposed to have double the hp they have now with the mechanics in place.

>Orphan of kos and laurence
well for orphan you can both backstab and parry him, taking out chunks of his hp. i cant really defend laurence though, who thought it would be a good idea to give him 22k hp? not sure if you've played it to ng+7, but the fucker has almost 40k hp on it, which is ridiculous.
>>
>>337820017
Yeah, that's make enough of a difference in opinion. Everybody will have their own experience and god knows others will feel the same way as you.
>>
>>337819556
The deacons actually succesfully implement a good use of the multi mob boss battle.

They have a shared life mechanic that switches between the mobs, making it so you have to scout out the enemy, they're not all high damaging fucks like celestial emissary or rom, and the boss actually works together in stage 2 to centre around the archdeacon to reinforce a unified boss tactic.

This hasn't really been seen since phalanx with the huge mob boss effect.

Meanwhile Celstial emissary is just "throw lots of mini high damaging enemies at you, and then it grows into a big one, while the minis still attack you"

In addition, the deacons feel genuinely fitting and purposeful into their world, something that celestial emmisary didn't until the dlc.

Simialrly, abyss watcher's respawning mechanic feels both unique to them as they fight each other, and fits into their story, the red eyed ones are abyss corrupted and being revived by the calling of the bell in firelink, the same effect that revived you.
>>
>>337819710
I played them choronlogically and DS1 felt different enough only because the open world, having more vivid colors and more fantasy that takes a lot from classic mythology. Also a different lore and the "time is convoluted" bullshit.
>>
>>337819519
I don't think you're actually dumb enough to not "get it" so I'm just going to say come the fuck on man
>>
File: 1456346391228.jpg (8 KB, 214x200) Image search: [Google]
1456346391228.jpg
8 KB, 214x200
>>337819780
>working as intended
>Set to 0
>>
>>337820293
>>337820017
>>337820039
>>337819406

>civil discourse in a souls thread on /v/

Brings a tear to my eye.
>>
>>337819780
I mean I'm alright with it I suppose. At first I saw it being off as a dumb decision because it makes PvE a lot more frustrating, especially with enemies who can just sort of decide when to poise through your attacks, but the more I look at the mechanics the more obvious it becomes that turning poise on now would throw the entire game out of balance. Damage absorption and increased equip load are there to compensate for no poise, along with larger weapons getting hyper armor while smaller weapons have none. If poise were to be turned on now, PvP would just become a havel fest, since the 70% equip load makes wearing full of nearly full havels doable on basically any build.
TL;DR Yeah it sucks but it would suck even more if we just turned it back on with no further changes to balance it.
>>
>>337820486

Are you confused or something? Why the fuck would you make any of the connections from DaS if you haven't played DaS?
>>
>>337820551
Fuck you, retard. Stop samefagging.
>>
>>337820381
>The deacons actually succesfully implement a good use of the multi mob boss battle.

Really nigga? There's fuck all strategy to this at all, you just blindly swing away while hunting out the red glowing guy. The whole "the boss actually works together in stage 2 to centre around the archdeacon to reinforce a unified boss tactic" applies to Rom from the start only the spiders are an actual threat and the main deacon barely even starts doing anything until you've hacked a fair amount of hp off.

Rom is a considerably better example of a multimob boss fight.
>>
>>337820034
>mobs to show invisible traps.
Hol up
Is that what they're for? Are you serious? I always kill them all immediately. Looks like I still don't know everything about DeS yet.
>>
>>337820761

>hurr durr samefag

And I'm the retard.
>>
>>337820942
The point is that the mobs in deacons of the deep actually successfully work together as a boss fight, both for mechanical reasons and lore reasons.

It doesn't feel like just "pointless adds" to make a boss fight more tedious.

Rom the vacuous spider is possibly the worst example of this in my opinion.

Instead of making the spiders work together with rom, they simply instead gave them ridiculously high damage and put tons of them in there.

They are pointless filler and don't add to the boss fight.

Dukes Dear freja is another example, it feels like they started making a really nice and interesting boss, realised they wouldn't have enough time to fill out the final moveset, and simply shoved in tons of spiders to make up for it.

Celestial Emissary might be the most mundane because it's just fight big one with little ones after phase 2, they could have done all sorts of interesting shit like the living failures use of summoning the meteors.

In essence I feel like living failures, deacons of the deep and phalanx are the only successful mob bosses in the series.
>>
>>337821389
>It doesn't feel like just "pointless adds" to make a boss fight more tedious.

Nah, that's exactly what it feels like. The mobs don't work together at all, they just mindlessly clump in a blob like Rom's spiders, only you don't have to worry about what angle you hit them at removing the need to bait individual mobs out or even bother dodging them. They're expendable as fuck and constantly respawn because of it. Rom's spiders stay dead when killed until you force her to teleport where she spawns a set number in.
The spiders work because the more time you spend wasting on them, the more likely you are to be hit by Rom's attacks. Their frontal defence has good synergy with this design since it means you can't just mindlessly run in and slaughter them all like you can the deacons, who are a total non-issue.
>>
>>337821389
Deacons are shit. It's not balanced for people who dont wield big weapons. If you are a magic user or even if you wield a rapier or a short sword you will a terrible bad experience.
>>
On the topic of bosses, I want to discuss the placement of them. Of course we have the boring argument, "Boss is here because convoluted blah blah"
Anyway: Asylum Demon is there because..well, obvious. Phalanx, Tower Knight and Penetrator are there to protect the King.
Crystal Sage is there because..?
Vordt?
Old Demon King?

Stray demon was placed gorgeously and appropriately since its name implies the obvious.
>>
>>337822181
No, because the spiders don't add anything to the boss mechanically or thematically.

The congregation both emphasises the communion like nature of the boss, and the second phase mechanics have the mobs actually working together to defend the archdeacon, and contribute to the cursing cloud that the archdeacon is summoning.

Whereas in rom's case, the spiders feel like half thought adds to make a poor boss more challenging, they don't actively work together or with the boss, there's no need for them other than because of how shit rom herself is.
>>
>>337822710
Crystal sage is there because one of them was allied with the undead legion, presumably the ruins where she is located is a centrifuge of research as there are several other mage like enemies there as well.

This is all explained.

Vordt is never far away from the dancer, and both bosses have been sent out by sulyvahn and twisted by his rings to turn into beasts.

Old demon king is a remnant of a battle between giants/carthus and the demon warriors, the giant arbalest and scatters of dead demon bodies is an indication of this.

Dark Souls 3's bosses actually fit really nice into the world, even dragonslayer armour is explained by lothric's dragon hunts and remnants of lightning glass, and the legion of dragon hunters under ornstein and his involvement with the namless king/oceiros.
>>
>>337822820
>No, because the spiders don't add anything to the boss mechanically or thematically.

I already explained their purpose you dumb cunt.

Never thought i'd see someone champion fucking Deacons of all things.
>>
File: DS implying.jpg (49 KB, 461x403) Image search: [Google]
DS implying.jpg
49 KB, 461x403
Things that suck about 3 that everyone ignores
>Weapons are shit. There's only one weapon in each type that's worth using except Sswords which are all op.
>Daggers are shit
>Axes are shit
>Hammers are mostly all shit
>Bows are shit
>Greatswords are shit
>Greathammers are shit
>If you die in pvp your souls are where you died, so if you're invading you pretty much sacrifice them if you die
>Weapon movesets are more copypasted than 2. Halberds are all the same, Swords are the same, Axes are the same, Hammers are the same, Greathammers are the same, Greataxes are the same.
>Two covenants almost require you to make a low level twink build to max out
>Poison is shit. No toxic weapons. Toxic also shit
>Bleed has never been done properly, it should have the same damage but slow stamina regen like in 2. Also fuck whoever decided you could roll out of it
>Every mage build is exactly the same, absolutely no variation like there was in in 2 with different staves with different damage/speed ratios
>lol we put in 3 different firelink shrines, that'll fuck with them
>>
>>337823093

Thank you for that. Obviously I said what I said out of pure ignorance.
Next time I open my mouth I'll do some research first. Thanks again.
>>
>>337823459
>people shit on BB for lack of weapon/build variety yet lap this shit up
>>
>>337823459
A third firelink shrine?

The madman Miyasaki did it again.
>>
>>337810450
The beginning is so samey compared to the original Dark Souls, the replay value feels crippled.

My first playthrough was really good fun and it's consistent unlike the first game but replays are fucking boring initially.
>>
DeS>Scholar>DaS1>DaS2>BB>DaS3

I'm putting DaS3 last because it was the most disappointing. There's nothing really new beyond weapon skills, which aren't much more fun than Powestancing.

I was afraid with Miyazaki doing BB and the hefty expansion DaS3 would suffer, and it shows. It's so derivative of the past games. It's like a compilation, but instead of the greatest parts of things, it's the unnecessary shot of the guy's ass/balls as he drives into the girl.

Yes, I remember Dark Souls 1, it was 5 years ago, that shouldn't be something to get nostalgic about
>>
>>337823459
>>Bleed has never been done properly
>when you finally can play a proper Bleed build with the Luck stats+hollowing

why everyone on /v/ have to be retarded to criticize something just so you think you can stomp on it and call it shit ?
>>
File: Diane-in-Disbelief.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Diane-in-Disbelief.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>337823996
>why everyone on /v/ have to be retarded to criticize something just so you think you can stomp on it and call it shit ?

Am I having a seizure do you speak a different language?

Bleed is worthless if you can just roll out of it, which everyone already does
>>
>>337810450
I actually loved the game as a whole. I guess i'm in the minority when saying that I wish they would just turn on armor poise. I have turned it on via cheat engine and it isn't nearly as broken as people like to claim it is.

Pvp is just stale without it but other than that I am still playing through
>>
>>337824281
>Bleed is worthless if you can just roll out of it, which everyone already does

if you have a brain and stop spamming R1 like a retard you would know how to use your 2 stuns for that
even more with multiple hits weapon arts, it isn't hard
>>
>invade
>host and memesuns standing at area outside pontiff, crystal soul masses casted, weapons buffed

What fun is there in doing this? I don't get how 3 people killing one person is fun. especially if you're just waiting there all day for people to invade.
>>
>>337824615
Run next to the two giants in the courtyard and then just take a seat. Your best bet is to just wait for more phantoms to stream in, and what better way to pass the time than look suave as fuck in a resting position?
>>
My only complaint is there were not enough move sets for the amount weapons available. I would of been for a handful of weapons that handled differently.
>>
Is DaS2 worth even playing? I loved BB probably my favorite. Then DaS3 and 1 are just as great. But I just couldn't even get through the first sections of DaS2 after playing BB for a shit ton of time. I have it on my PS4 but does it get better? Is it worth going through?
>>
>>337818676

Yes but, part of the point was just that each boss would turn into ash and become a bonfire when killed. This is demonstrated by the first boss.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 42

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.