[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this the worst KH game?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 10
File: chain of memories.jpg (38 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
chain of memories.jpg
38 KB, 600x450
Is this the worst KH game?
>>
File: days logo.png (614 KB, 1000x720) Image search: [Google]
days logo.png
614 KB, 1000x720
>>337774957
No. Its one of the better ones. 358/2 Days is the worst one. It has no bearing on the overarching plot of the games and retcons itself. Its idea of difficulty is making fights take longer through high HP and/or high defense. Its also a game about Organization XIII that focuses on a new character that has almost no personality rather than the actual Organization members.
>>
CoM is absolutely amazing in terms of story
Literally one of the best games
>>
>>337776031
>It has no bearing on the overarching plot of the games
It told you why Roxas did what he did and if you think Xion isn't coming back in 3 then your dumb.
The plot was not even close to the worst thing in days.
>>
No, Days is the worst.

CoM is a bit mixed though, combat's great but overworld progression is RNG bullshit.
>>
DDD is
>>
>>337774957
It's the second worst only behind 358/2
>>
>>337776178
I know Xion is probably coming back but I don't see why she should. She has yet to do anything of relevance. She doesn't need to exist. She's a true nobody.
>>
Birth by Sleep and Days are way worse.
>>
File: 1436930867448.jpg (36 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1436930867448.jpg
36 KB, 400x300
>>337776448

>BBS is bad in any way
>>
>>337776031
This. I feel it can possibly be alright, if they actually made a proper remake, but otherwise, it's pretty weak.
>>
Is everyone not counting coded?
>>
>>337778234
Gameplay wise it's still alright, but from a story POV, it was kind of eh, even if it did set up Dream Drop.
>>
>>337778010
>Every single enemy is badly designed, MF is easily the worst boss fight ever made in a video game
>Keyblade is fucking useless, doesn't stagger enemies/barely does any damage
>Combos are nonexistent, you just spam Magnet + some other overpowered command
>Ventus and Aqua's dodges are free, unlimited i-frames which you can spam to dodge virtually everything
BBS is a piece of shit.
>>
>>337778589
Playing as Terra fixes two of those problems.
>>
>>337778813
Still an overrated piece of shit.
>>
>>337778234
If we're talking re:coded, it's an awkward situation where the best command deck gameplay is stuck in a game that constantly interrupts it with dumb gimmicks and has a plot that has no reason to exist and is extremely dumb in itself.
>>
>>337774957
literally just finished this for the first time, thought it was alright but coming from other KH games I hate the card system
>>
>>337776448
DDD is just a shittier BBS so no
>>
>>337776420
Her existence was the primary motivation for Roxas to do what he did, which also led to him reuniting with Sora.

Indirectly, Xion was the person who saved Sora along with Namine.
>>
>>337779160
I haven't played DDD yet.
>>
>>337778589
This.

I don't know why /v/ circlejerks this game so much.

It was braindead since it encouraged spamming dodge whenever you're not abusing overpowered magic because your keyblade was pure shit.

In a sense, it was the anti-thesis of KH2 made by the B-Team.
>>
>>337778589
The game is just one giant spam fest, I recall armor lock can OHKO most bosses
>>
>>337774957
Should 358/2 days be played after KH 2? I'm going through the series for the first time.
>>
I loved Chain of Memories, and I remember feeling challenged for the second to last boss, and I absolutely enjoyed being stuck on him for a while.
>>
>>337780001
Yes, that is the release order.
>>
>>337780001
Yes, although know that its pretty poor as a game
>>
>>337776178
>It told you why Roxas did what he did
KH2 had already told us why Roxas did what he did. That game told us that Roxas was heavily conflicted with who he was and wanted to fight out the truth, eventually being captured and then returned to Sora. All days did was add another character and more complications to the mix, same goes for BBS and all the other portable games, besides chains.

Literally all these games do is further complicate the story by adding these "details" to what what the main games implied. You look at KH1, chains and KH2 and it already paints a good picture on it's own, then BBS complicates the fuck out of it by adding all this unnecessary shit. Just because it makes sense doesn't mean it's good. It's called money milking, anon.
>>
>>337774957
you are all wrong unless you said KHX
>>
>>337774957
CoM is the third best KH game so no
>>
Recoded. Everything about it sucked and did nothing to progress the plot.
>>
>>337774957
Every kingdom hearts game is the worst. Fucking protagonist is wearing clownshoes and his friends are donald a goofy. Fuck this game
>>
Days was cool because you don't often get that intense malaise from a game: Here's a prequel with a bunch of characters you know get fucked, and a character you've never heard of. Look at their contentment as they eat ice cream in Twilight Town.
>>
File: grievous.gif (3 MB, 390x357) Image search: [Google]
grievous.gif
3 MB, 390x357
>play KH1
>everything has a nice colorful feel to it
>even the enemy Heartless have lovely shades of purple, blue, and reds
>everything is so full of life
>game has obvious flaws and clunky gameplay, but it's still refreshing
>main villain is a nice cross between FF and Disney
>he has giant white gloves and colorful attire but has the stock long silver hair

>trailers for KH2 come out
>BLACK EVERYWHERE
>BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK
>BLACK RAIN BLACK HEARTLESS BLACK CLOAKS
>every character is wearing a black cloak
>two black cloak people talking on a black beach with black water in the black background
>"Surely this is just for the trailers."
>the entire main villain cast is black cloaks
>the Heartless still have some silly and colorful designs thank fuck
>story goes to absolute FUCK and back
>DiZ is just Ansem in a disguise
>he pulls out a what-the-hell machine and tries to do shit to the moon but it blows up and he dies but maybe not really?????????????
>wait his name is Ansem?
>I thought the villain from the first game was Ansem
>no he wasn't Ansem he just stole Ansem's name
>okay so who is Xenmas?
>he's Ansem's old body that became a Nobody
>okay so who is Ansem? The old guy or the villain from the first game?
>KIND OF ALL OF THEM BUT NOT REALLY
>I'M ANSEM NO I AM NO YOU'RE XEHANORT NO YOU'RE XENMAS NO YOU'RE TERRA-XEHANORT NO YOU'RE MASTER XEHANORT (yeah this didn't happen yet in KH2 but fuck off it was a grim foreshadowing of things to come)
>>
I liked it
>>
>>337774957
No, it's in the top 3, maybe 4 depending on whether you rank Re: Coded higher or lower. The remake is definitely below Coded though. The worst KH game is either Days, BBS or X.
>>
2FM>1FM=ReCoded>CoM(GBA)>BBSFM>ReCoM>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Days=DDD
>>
>>337783884
I think the Xehanort thing was because they decided to embrace the x-anagram thing in Chain of Memories. So Xehanort minus the X is an anagram of either "another" or "no heart." That still doesn't really make sense, since Xehanort (as played by Leonard Nimoy) isn't a nobody, so all we have left is that he used his own anagram name as inspiration for giving nobody-names to his apprentices and hangers-on. Dream Drop Distance awkwardly implies that the letter X, or maybe the letter chi, has some sort of universal power.
>>
>>337784213
>Dream Drop Distance awkwardly implies that the letter X, or maybe the letter chi, has some sort of universal power.
that entire cutscene is possibly the point where DDD solidified itself as a travesty
>>
>>337784213
No, I think it's because they didn't realize how well KH would do and how far it would go, so they just started building the story as it went along. The story unfortunately reeks of being made up after-the-fact.
>>
>>337784308
Nomura did admit that the secret trailers at the end of each game are basically his preliminary ideas for the next title and he usually ends up heavily changing each one in its actual game
>>
>>337784308
Yeah, changing his name from Ansem to Xehanort definitely involved making it up as they went along. But why that change? Probably something to do with the late addition of anagrams and X/chi.
>>
What's so bad about DDD? I loved fucking around with Flowmotion and the Dream Eaters.
>>
>>337784296
Doesn't wakka have two x's onbhis legs? What does xehanort want with him?
>>
>>337784308
That, second to the Disney stuff anyway, is honestly why I like KH. Train wreck, etc.
>>
>>337784651
The combat had the exact same problems as BBS did, but movement was fun and the worlds were a lot better too. It's not a great game, but it isn't a pile of shit like BBS either.
>>
File: asspulls.png (408 KB, 641x584) Image search: [Google]
asspulls.png
408 KB, 641x584
>>337784651
Flowmotion gets in the way of combat when you're just trying to roll and you hit any piece of geography and start flying around the map with full invincibility and then you realize there's literally zero point in ever doing anything except Flowmotion and Balloon

Story is full retard and manages to shit on every other game in the series instead of properly tying them together

Keyblade is somehow even MORE useless than BBS

Command Deck is worse than both of its predecessors ReCoded and BBS, leveling commands and fusing them have both been removed making the whole experience of getting new commands less engaging and, again, leaving you with no reason to ever not use Balloon

Dream Eaters are terrible teammates unless you grind out affinity

Level design is as garbage as the series has ever had, every room is a gigantic empty area to make room for Flowmotion fuckery because they wanted you to use it so badly. Ever since KH2 they haven't really had much level design in the series outside of ReCoded but at least the other games didn't make their empty rooms fucking gigantic
>>
File: Kingdom Hearts 11.gif (97 KB, 300x153) Image search: [Google]
Kingdom Hearts 11.gif
97 KB, 300x153
>>337776031
I felt like if they did something like they did in KH2 with Revenge Value and made attacks actually stun I wouldn't stop playing it.

I still like playing through it every now and then because of Roxas.

He's my favourite KH character by far and I even name a good chunk of my characters after him.
>>
>>337783884
The simplest way to look at Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 is that KH1 is a Disney game with Final Fantasy elements, while KH2 is a Final Fantasy game with Disney elements.

The heartless have such variety and colour to them depended on the world they appear in (Monkey's, flying pirates, Arab bazar salesmen et cetera) and seemed like a Disney creature but with just a little bit of FF added to them. Nobodies would be right at home in any Final Fantasy game and are so generic in design variety.
>>
File: I'm already half Xehanort.webm (2 MB, 458x274) Image search: [Google]
I'm already half Xehanort.webm
2 MB, 458x274
>>337784651
Most of the areas are just gigantic open things so you can tag off of walls with Flowmotion.

Balloonra/ga is literally the only useful command outside of Curaga.

Story just goes completely full retard and plays it straight.

Dream Eaters take hours just to level up once yet have ten levels, have to grind like crazy just so you can give them skills and stats, as attackers they're almost completely worthless, and you're stuck with certain ones just so you can have a decent and balanced skillset. This doesn't even get into how annoying and expensive it is to max out each one, or how you have to unlock certain moods just to get more skills out of them.

Has the problem BBS has where everything has super armor so attacking with your Keyblade is a complete gamble and you don't really do much damage with it anyway on top of enemies hitting like bricks.

The drop system can get really annoying really fast, especially if you're farming stuff. Yeah, there's Drop-Me-Nots, but still.

>>337785179
>I felt like if they did something like they did in KH2 with Revenge Value and made attacks actually stun I wouldn't stop playing it.
That wouldn't save it at all. There's so many numerous problems with 358/2 that Agrabah alone would drive anyone mad.
>>
Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories is arguably one of the best Game Boy Advance games and Kingdom Hearts games.
>>
>>337784945
I was fine with the gigantic empty rooms because it let me play around with Flowmotion rather than just having boring corridors of enemies like BBS and KH2 had most of the time, though it has been a long time since I played KH2 so I might be remembering it wrong.

Also Flowmotion did way too little damage to be useful as a means of offense, Balloon series was indeed broken ass shit though.
>>
>>337785357
>Also Flowmotion did way too little damage to be useful as a means of offense
Well more along the lines of you can spam wall jump flowmotion drill move to be invincible for a long ass time and probably knock enemies up and basically stall out any commands you're waiting on
>>
File: Kingdom Hearts 07.gif (439 KB, 245x184) Image search: [Google]
Kingdom Hearts 07.gif
439 KB, 245x184
>>337785309
I know what you are talking about with Agrabah, but I still thoroughly enjoyed 358/2

Regardless of how shit it actually is.

Can you point out these numerous problems because I didn't experience them outside of my hits not stunning and revenge value being not a thing
>>
>>337779160
Except DDD does everything BbS does but better.
>>
File: 1415087715875.jpg (511 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
1415087715875.jpg
511 KB, 1500x1500
>>337785483
>Can you point out these numerous problems because I didn't experience them outside of my hits not stunning and revenge value being not a thing
Magic upgrades being gimmicks meant the base form was almost always better because it did almost the same amount of damage as the -ga form but had way better effects. Cure instantly healed you instead of an AoE placed on the ground or a thing you had to wait to heal you over time and got cancelled out of if you got hit at all, Fire and Blizzard home into enemies, etc.

Magic was limited per mission.

Every single enemy, from the smallest Heartless to bosses were utter damage sponges.

The "secret boss" of the game is just a recolored Wyvern that's bigger but flies out of your radius, can one shot you, and take chip damage even on criticals.

Emerald Serenades.

The handful of missions in Neverland.

Story doesn't go anywhere at all until Riku appears in the 300s, and prior to that the most you had to go on was Roxas losing the Keyblade for like 20 days.

Agrabah is at least half if not more of the game's missions.

The stealth system that is used about three times where the guy you're stalking instantly turns around without any warning and you have to stay in their AoE thing.

The only usable multiplayer character is Saix, and only when you give him Mystery Gear with crit panels. Everyone else is weak and gimmicky.

Sigil collecting missions.

No Organization member is actually expanded on in any meaningful way.
>>
>>337785914
Wasn't the JP version also inherently broken because every enemy had the same HP value in story as multiplayer so everything was just an insane damage sponge in the main story? The US version fixed the values though by scaling them to how many people were playing rather than everything having the max player total.
>>
>>337774957
CoM was okay imo, the battle system was certainly unique. Collecting the cards and such was a nice feature. I enjoyed playing as Riku.

Days had a lot of cool things like multiplayer, challenges, random dangerous enemies in missions, and I liked the panel system as well as being able to play as duel wielding Roxas in mission mode.

BBSFM was great imo. 3 characters going through the worlds, 6 extra bosses (No Heart, Vanitas' lingering sentiment, Master's Armor, MF, and the one in the secret episode (not final episode.)) I'm not counting monstro cuz his fight was just gay. Also had multiplayer and mini games. Command system and command styles were nice this time around.

DDD is the worst imo - the timed drops which were gay as fuck, secret movie shows you nothing new, one secret fucking boss. Flow motion and keyblade were completely USELESS. I also hated that pet system (seriously most are fucking hideous.)

DDD just felt like it had the main story and that was it. What, am I gonna collect the stupid pets now? or grind the pet's exp for commands? Screw that game.
>>
>>337778589
I'll never understand how people think BBS is a good game. It was okay at first, but once you find out you can just spam square to become invincible, and press triangle to kill everything it becomes such a mindless spamming simulator. Story was garbage as well. What a shit game honestly. KH2FM remains the best game by a huge margin. Hopefully KH3 reaches it's greatness, but since it's made by the same people that made BBS, I doubt it will.
>>
>>337786768
>b-but muh waifu
>b-but it has such a great story!!!
>b-but KH2 is just press triangle to win unlike BBS which requires a strategic mastermind to beat!
>b-but the command deck gives you so many options!
>>
>>337786768
Most people who like it probably exercise some restraint to not cheese the game.
>>
>>337785914
You forgot Mission Mode being nigh unplayable because it scales to 4 people by default and makes playing by yourself a complete fucking chore, and the lack of Wifi made getting people to play with significantly harder than it had any right to be
>>
>>337786948
Too bad the battle system still sucks dick and it doesn't make the game any more fun to plink away at unstaggerable bosses (or bosses that just randomly break out of stagger) forever with your useless keyblade.
>>
>>337786948
>i-it's good if you pretend to be retarded and not use the broken mechanics
Good idea f@m, I'll just stop dodging entirely. It's not like the keyblade combat is any good either, since bosses never stagger. You have to use the shitty commands.
>>
>>337783884
>>wait his name is Ansem?
>>I thought the villain from the first game was Ansem
>>no he wasn't Ansem he just stole Ansem's name
>>okay so who is Xenmas?
>>he's Ansem's old body that became a Nobody
>>okay so who is Ansem? The old guy or the villain from the first game?
>>KIND OF ALL OF THEM BUT NOT REALLY
>>I'M ANSEM NO I AM NO YOU'RE XEHANORT NO YOU'RE XENMAS NO YOU'RE TERRA-XEHANORT NO YOU'RE MASTER XEHANORT (yeah this didn't happen yet in KH2 but fuck off it was a grim foreshadowing of things to come)
I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Ansem, is in fact, Terra-Xehanort, or as I've recently taken to calling it, Ansem plus Xemnas. Ansem is not a person unto itself, but rather a heart component of a fully functioning Xehanort made useful by the body of Terra, also known as the nobody Xemnas and the soul of Master Xehanort comprising a full somebody as defined by Ansem the Wise.

Many people become a modified version of Xehanort every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the fraction of Xehanort's heart which is widely used today is often called nuts, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically Xehanort, developed by the True Organization XIII.
>>
>>337787136
I ain't saying it's good. Just why people probably have no issue with it.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.