[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
All right, /v/. Need a bit of help. I want to play Doom. No,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6
All right, /v/. Need a bit of help.

I want to play Doom. No, I don't mean the new one. The original. I've never played it before and I have a potentially really good deal on the GBA version, which is great because I don't have that much time for PC games anymore. Having a portable version for cheap would suit me really well.

I've looked up some opinions and people seem very divided. What do you think? Is it a good port or not? I know it's missing some levels and the blood is green, but that doesn't matter much to me as long as it's plays decently.
>>
Get a PSP and get the homebrew version.
>>
if you ask /v/ we're just going to tell you to play the PC version.

the GBA version of the game was technically impressive for a GBA title, but it's not a very good version of Doom.
>>
>>337756597
This. Perfect port, good performance, enough controls. Switching weapons might be a bitch at first though.
>>
Use Zandornum
>>
>>337756597
Around here I can't get a PSP for less than $50, which I can't justify.
>>
I remember playing doom on a ds flashcart and it was pretty good. People put doom on everything, so if you have anything more powerful than a gba with good controller input, play it on that.
>>
File: assad13.jpg (56 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
assad13.jpg
56 KB, 720x960
>>337756952
islamist pls go
>>
>>337756442
If you want to play doom you want to play it on PC. If you don't have time for it then you don't have time for doom. You could be playing doom right now.
>>
File: 1448271860636.png (3 MB, 1543x5500) Image search: [Google]
1448271860636.png
3 MB, 1543x5500
>>337756442
>>
>>337756442
hold up
I just realized doomguy only has one gun
>>
>>337758363
so does his friend in the background
>>
>>337756442
I used to have this as a kid and played it all night long a lot. I recently bought it the other week at a flea market for ten bucks
GET IT. But it's only got the first few episodes. It's not the ideal ezperience obviously. Blood is green and it's a surprisingly well made port!
>>
>>337758491
It's a novelty experience and who the fuck wouldn't want this version? It's just badass and a great excuse to bust out your gameboy. You can also play doom on your GameCube if you have that adapter
>>
File: 1463104438160.png (573 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1463104438160.png
573 KB, 1280x720
>>337756442
wait the guy in the back is samuel hayden right?
>>
File: 1461898012737.jpg (64 KB, 631x630) Image search: [Google]
1461898012737.jpg
64 KB, 631x630
>yfw BRUTAL DOOM
>>
>>337758363
Maybe you are thinking of Duke3D's cover, he is kind of in the same pose and has two guns
>>
>>337756442
Doom GBA is an alright enough port of Doom, but it shouldn't be your primary version. It's probably the best GBA FPS though, since nearly all the others are complete shit.
>>
>>337756442
>download IWADS (you can get these from the /vr/ doom general)

>download sourceport
zdoom is good lots of options but also stuff you don't want to use for a vanilla experience like jumping mouse look etc
>drag IWAD onto sourceport exe
it just werks
>>337760032
the gba ports are ok i think 2 has some bugs and cut up levels
duke advance might be the best shooter though
>>
Been playing doom on gba recently and it's pretty fucking cool. It was my first exposure to the series and it kickstarted my love for old school fps games. I recently got the Doom 3 BFG edition on 360 and it includes Doom and Doom 2 as well as 3. I hear mixed things about 3 but having the full experience of 1 and 2 is worth it. Also you can get Doom and Doom 2 separately for 5bux on the xbl arcade on 360. They're backwards compatible with the Xboner too. Also I believe they're available together on PSN on PS3 for 10bux.

Aside from that, it seems the general consensus is that for retro ports, the playstation version is the best. Saturn is shit, 32x is shit, snes is shit, jaguar is okay(?), but psx is the best.
>>
You are wasting your time playing any version other than PC, they're all a downgrade in one significant way or another

Only exception would probably be Doom 64 since it's essentially an original Doom title instead of using content from the PC version like the other console ports did
>>
>>337757641
Find a GO online or something.
You can play almost anything up to the n64 and $50 seems great to me...
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.