[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you think Nintendo will be around in 20 years? How about
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 177
Thread images: 20
File: Ninty investment HQ.jpg (7 KB, 320x158) Image search: [Google]
Ninty investment HQ.jpg
7 KB, 320x158
Do you think Nintendo will be around in 20 years?

How about 10? Can they last that long before going under?
>>
>>337718897
Yes
>>
They went from toys to videogames. If their games start bombing left and right they'll do something else.
>>
>>337719251
>They went from toys to videogames.

(You)

They have all their stock in vidya. when they were a toy company they were 1,000 times smaller.
>>
>>337718897
This is either stale bait or you lack any kind of understanding about Nintendo as a company.
>>
They have enough money for 50 years
That doesn't guarantee quality games though
>>
>>337719251
last I checked they went back to toys a while back
>>
>>337719436
you do know there have been bigger companies that have went under right?
>>
>there are people who believe nintendo is eternal and will still be there even in 100 years
>>
>>337718897
I give them 5 years before they go third party.
>>
It's not an issue of whether or not they'll be around, it's whether or not they'll continue to make hardware. They could always go the way of Sega and make games for other consoles. They also can easily survive on merchandising.
>>
File: nintendo cycle.png (762 KB, 1800x1380) Image search: [Google]
nintendo cycle.png
762 KB, 1800x1380
Someone said the same thing in 1987. Someone also said the same thing in 1994. They are going nowhere.
>>
>>337718897
why do you care, normies like you drop video game when they hit 19 and their first job. That's only 5 year left for you.
>>
File: nakazawa.png (61 KB, 345x239) Image search: [Google]
nakazawa.png
61 KB, 345x239
>>337718897
They're not losing any money, so they're not going anywhere.

They're not making quite as much money as they used to, and certainly not as much money as other video game companies. But they're still in the black, so they're not going anywhere.

In any case, it shouldn't even matter, unless for whatever reason you bought stock in Nintendo as a company.
>>
Would Nintendo go full mobile or PC + consoles or all if they went third party?
>>
>>337720205
>They are going mobile.
Fixed
>>
>>337718897
Yes but not in the world of console/handheld vidya. Phone games or a total rebranding
>>
>>337718897
>Been around for 100 years

Yeah, they're probably dying tomorrow Op.
>>
>>337720205

Ah yes the famous money printer, the Wii U.
>>
Nintendo will be around long after your grandchildren (>implying) have died of old age.
>>
>>337720605
>too old to fail fallacy
Hasn't sears been around for over a century and is on deaths door?
>>
>>337720605
>something has existed for a long-time so it will exist forever

that's about 3 fallacies in one right there. congratulations you are fucking retarded.
>>
Yes
Will (YOU)?
>>
>>337720364
>they're making money guys i swear
Nintendo was in the red 3 years in a row due to how poorly the Wii U did, in addition to a terrible 3DS launch up until the first price slash
Their profit for the last 2 years was so minor that it has yet to cancel out that deficit, and they're already projecting FY2016 to be record low profits due to no one buying the aging hardware, literally no games, and NX being pushed into 2017

Literally everything hinges on NX and you're blind and a moron if you think the chance of them going the Sega route isn't very real
>>
File: MONEY.jpg (26 KB, 640x348) Image search: [Google]
MONEY.jpg
26 KB, 640x348
>>337718897
I don't see why not, Nintendo's IPs are easily the most valued IPs in the video game industry, hence being pretty much the only company short of Capcom & Sega that could actually pull off Smash Bros.

They're already making inroads to going past vidya and making theme parks, more animated shows and movies. Licensing is a very profitable road to go down.

They'll be fine in the long run, they're just in a downward trend lately.

Also, its hilarious to me that anons so desperately want them to be doomed when even this weak period, they're making profits each quarter.
>>
File: 1463262045967.jpg (49 KB, 480x371) Image search: [Google]
1463262045967.jpg
49 KB, 480x371
>DUDE NINTENDO IS OVER 100 YEARS OLD SO IT WILL NEVER DIE LMAO
>DUDE PEOPLE SAID NINTENDO WAS GOING TO DIE BEFORE AND THEY WERE WRONG THEREFORE IT CAN'T HAPPEN LMAO

This is unironically Nintendrone logic.
Bigger, older companies have died in the past.
>>
>>337721190

Okay, so we've determined that these shitposters here are memesters.
>>
>>337720876
This is literally untrue

Please post said red years.
>>
>>337720876
Sega's still around. It took a massive rebranding and they're out of the dedicated console market, but they're still around.

There IS a middle ground between "not doing dedicated proprietary hardware anymore" and "being so broke, they have to sell off their building at cut-rate prices".

Likewise, the video game industry isn't some zero-sum cutthroat industry where buying a Playstation completely locks you out from buying a Mario Amiibo or going on a Zelda-themed amusement park ride.

The time for Nintendo being a monolithic behemoth at the top of the food chain is long gone, but Nintendo -- the company -- isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
>>
>>337721190
they have 10 time more money in bank than where the first nintendoom rumours appeared. You are the faggot there.
>>
>>337721124
It really depends what we mean by "doomed"

Obviously Nintendo's IP is worth *billions*, Mario alone is probably worth several billions, and we are just talking about the value of IP. Nintendo could exist profitably for a long time simply licensing their IP out to 3rd parties

I think most of the doomcriers are more specifically indicating that Nintendo would exit the hardware business, which unlike Nintendo ceasing to exist outright, is a very real possibility, and they are arguably already making contingency plans on this possibility as evidenced by their publishing mobile games. Nintendo isn't just going to sit back and watch their business fail because they think they're too big to fall, that's retard logic. Going mobile is the smart thing to do: keep your IP relevant, for if you do have to leave the console manufacturing business, you always have something else to turn to

You have to be an extreme idiot to think that Nintendo stopping making consoles isn't possible, especially in this market when the console market outright doesn't seem like it might survive much longer than the end of the decade.
>>
>>337720762
>>337720717
The logic is that they have banked massive amount of cash with pokemon and the wii. A company thig big doesn't die overnight, there's so much they can do with loans and assets it's not even funny.
>>
>>337721543
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-nintendo-earnings-idUSBREA0G09M20140117

FY 2011, 2012 and 2013 were all losses
2014 and 2015 were marginally profitable

Latest report says 2016 will be worse than 2015, and this comes from the horse's mouth btw
>>
>>337721190

They have, but saying Nintendo is going to die every generation is kind of retarded, you know? After a while people stop taking you seriously. It doesn't seem like it matters whether the company is doing well or not, this same tune is sung ad nauseum.

I've heard them being compared to NEC, to Sega, to Blackberry, for decades. Change the decade and it's a different company. The point I'm trying to make here, is that not everything is the next TORtanic, which you people seem to believe. At some point, you need to admit that you're not good analysts, that you suck at what you do. You're fucking retarded. Like Michael Pachter levels of retarded.
>>
>>337721124
>Nintendo's IPs are easily the most valued IPs in the video game industry,

Only Mario and Pokémon. Minecraf, CoD, BF, Asscreed, GTA etc are worth more these days.
>>
>>337721705
>which unlike Nintendo ceasing to exist outright, is a very real possibility
Not that guy. But Nintendo would sooner shut down their NA/EU business and focus solely on their native market than go third party.
>>
>>337718897
They went from card games to love hotels, taxis, toys and then to video games.

If they lose the video games market, they'll just simply move onto more profitable markets like mobile phone apps. Nintendo will never die but it's entirely possible they'll leave gaming.
>>
>>337718897
There's no particular reason to think they'll go under within any of those time frames.

Depending of course on your understanding of what "going under" and "being around" means.
>>
Game companies usually don't die, they just merge.

I could deal with Nintendo Sega. Not that Nintendo is even likely to have huge problems.
>>
>>337722072
Another thing only retards think. FYI NA is Nintendo's biggest market. They would sooner shut down their domestic production than give up the NA market because it's their bread and butter.

Nintendo is a business and they don't give one shit about your consolewar faggotry butthurt. If publish on other platforms is what they have to do to survive, they will do it. They are *already* doing it.
>>
they made so much money from wii and ds that they can afford a new home console flop
>>
They'll be here forever, look at sega , they're still relevant.
Even if they only make mobile shit in 20 years nintendo will still be a part of the industry.
>>
>>337722587
Truly a fate worse than death
>>
>>337722072
>If Nintendo was losing money
>they would rather shut down and get out of their two most profitable markets in order to make less money!

Do you even read what you wrote?
>>
>>337722669
sure but its the worst outcome
mario is immortal
>>
>>337722434
Which is why Nintendo's going to go mobile instead of the PS4/desktop PCs. Despite what the console war peanut gallery thinks, it's not a matter of spitefully withholding Mario from a Sony console; that kind of faggotry died with Yamauchi.

It's more a matter of two things:

(1) For better or for worse, Nintendo's target demographic is, always has been, and always will be children; and children are gravitating toward mobile games in droves. Nintendo's higher-ups believe that anyone who self-identifies as a hardcore gamer would be better off with a PlayStation.

(2) Mobile games and gamers require and demand less graphical power than big-top home console and "Master Race"-tier PC counterparts, which would allow Nintendo to focus on gameplay and whatever gimmick they're experimenting with and avoid direct competition from other systems.

Of course, history could prove them wrong, but that's what the general train of thought would be.
>>
>>337722691
America and Europe are bigger markets. Considerably so.
But relatively speaking they've got the most market shares home in Japan.
>>
I don't think it's assured that they'll give up consoles. They may just be expanding. And if they can expand then that means they can safely absorb losses and bide their time until they can win big in the console market one day. Microsoft and Sony were basically doing the same thing for years. And they did it because they could afford to do it. If Nintendo keeps expanding their ventures and making huge profits off of them, they wouldn't need to worry anymore about going down in flames just because their consoles aren't making them massive profits for a few years.

So I think mobile means one of two things, either A. they're dropping out of the console business, or B. making it so they can safely stay in the console business. We just don't know what it means yet though.
>>
>>337720876
>Literally everything hinges on NX

Hahaha, you think the whole company hinges on the NX just because they've been in the red for a few years?

Do you even know how much of their stock they own themselves that they could sell off again if they needed cash really badly?

Do you even know how ridiculous the notion is to begin with that they would be that close to ultimate doom?
>>
>>337723504
Not ultimate doom, just exiting the hardware business
>>
>>337722045
And those IPs are all owned by different companies. Notice I said IPs. Zelda, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Smash Bros, Animal Crossing and the Wii series are all in the top 50 best selling video game franchises of all time.

Shit, anon, even Splatoon and now Fire Emblem are making a killing.
>>
>>337723138
Mobile games are certainly cheap as fuck to develop, but that's actually a problem for Nintendo. Nintendo has tons of studios and resources that would go utterly wasted on pure mobile games development. They'd have two options: sell them off or use them to make actual games. Why would they suddenly stop making actual games? Just to spite Sony? That's what it sounds like you're saying. And plenty of children own playstations, it's probably the primary demographic.
>>
>>337723885
>Why would they suddenly stop making actual games? Just to spite Sony?

The assumption that mobile games are somehow not "actual games" is just that -- an assumption.
>>
File: FIGURE-000673.jpg (84 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
FIGURE-000673.jpg
84 KB, 600x600
>>337723138
>For better or for worse, Nintendo's target demographic is, always has been, and always will be children
No it isn't. It's always been "family", which unlike in the US doesn't mean "children". It means boys, girls, men, and women. And it even includes manchildren and fujos.
It's a catch all term for "we make products that pursues all demographics". And contrary to what NoA might think, not a term for "we make products that pursues all demographics all at once".

This is why they're pushing the waifu faggotry hard. That's why they bought titles such as Bayonetta and funded productions like Xenoblade. That's why they're producing titles such as Girls Mode / Style Savvy. And so on. In addition your regular Mario and Zelda.
>>
>>337718897
Nintendo are sitting on a vast pile of money. They can survive for a very long time without making a profit.
>>
Yes because the video game market has become the cinematic walking simulator market and other companies have that cornered.
>>
>>337724113
Without a uniform control scheme that's actually usable (most "real" games cannot be played sufficiently with just a touch screen and add-on control schemes are far from uniform), you'd have a really hard time getting most Nintendo IPs to work. Even a simple platformer is too cumbersome to play with only touch controls
>>
>>337724113
The other problem is that Nintendo expects to make bank even on its shittiest IPs that are already mobile-tier. Take NSMBU, sold for $60. No matter what you think of this game it wouldn't even sell for half of that on the iOS/android store. Mobile games are popular because you can get them for like a fucking dollar. Iwata himself talked at length about how unsustainable this market is, since it encourages volume development over quality development. A big enough net will hook plenty of fish, but one small net, no matter the quality, could go completely unnoticed and utterly wasted

I sincerely doubt Nintendo will go mobile-only even if their hardware business fails, so long as a console market still exists, because the console market is where their games do best at. They make games on mobile-tier budgets and sell them at AAA-tier prices. That's where they make bank, and that's what they'll continue to pursue, even if they have mobile side projects outsourced to DeNA
>>
>>337718897

if sega is still around there is no reason for nintendo to not be too

though it wouldn't surprise me if the NX was their last console project
>>
File: 1454502976625.jpg (617 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1454502976625.jpg
617 KB, 1920x1080
>Nintendo
>>
sure

a better question is will any of us care about Nintendo in 20 years?
>>
>>337723625
There's very little reason to believe that however, as physical products have always been their thing.

They just might exit the traditional home console market, but they'll more than likely still make video game hardware.
>>
>>337725343
>Nintendo
>of America
>>
They'll just stop making consoles and develop as a 3rd party while also making shitty cell phone apps
>>
>>337725343
>muh animu

Yeah, that was never what I bought Nintendo for, so I'm still good. Doesn't mean I agree with the heavy modifications done to those games in the name of localization.
>>
>>337718897
Yes. They will be still around.

On a side topic, it's hilarious how much some people wishes with all their strenght for seeing a corporation go under and die forever. It that isn't autism, I don't know how to call it.
>>
>>337725742
>They just might exit the traditional home console market, but they'll more than likely still make video game hardware.
I sure hope you're not implying handhelds will be around in the next 20 years. It's the handheld market that will disappear first, in fact, it's arguably already gone. Mobile devoured it. Home consoles still exist and even their presence is not impermanent, but it should last for at least another generation.

Remember, the DS sold 154M units, and the 3DS has fallen 100M south of that and completely flatlined. Nintendo didn't lose 100M of those to Sony or some other handheld competitor. The market itself literally shrunk by 66%.
>>
>>337718897
Yes because they embrace mobile gaming.
>>
File: nothingofvalue.jpg (92 KB, 604x358) Image search: [Google]
nothingofvalue.jpg
92 KB, 604x358
>>337725343
>low-quality weeaboo trash getting butchered

Except for Xenoblade X, which I enjoyed, I wouldn't have bought any of that junk even if it was untouched.
>>
>>337726086
No doubts we'll see handhelds sell far less than the 3DS next gen.

Then lower after that.
>>
>>337726224
>All Nintendo makes these days is low-quality weeaboo trash
>And censors it
>But I'm okay with that since I don't like it
What?
>>
>>337726086
We don't know where handhelds are going.

Renewal had stagnated badly for smart devices the last two years, so someone will have to shake things up.

I'm not talking about traditional handhelds, however. I'm talking about all the things that have to do with video games that haven't yet been invented.
>>
I'm pretty sure they're still profiting, even with poor Wii U sales. They're just not profiting as much.
>>
Of course they are. Only ones that believe otherwise are hardcore Ponys.
>>
>>337726356
>I'm talking about all the things that have to do with video games that haven't yet been invented.
... At any rate, this is why I say it all hinges on the NX. You're basically agreeing with me at this point
>>
File: 1329623783739.jpg (183 KB, 431x600) Image search: [Google]
1329623783739.jpg
183 KB, 431x600
Is Fire Emblem fully translated for modded 3DS yet? I ain't buyin' that FAGGOT SHIT.

Heh. Gottem.
>>
>>337726596

No. I'm not.

They have sufficient funds to develop other things, different things, and new things during and after the NX, even if it does poorly.
>>
>>337720876

Nintendo going third party... Yes... The way Nintendo of America and Europe Treating it's customers they are gonna get shut down.

Nintendo disappearing.... NO, they go third party like Sega. The only thing that will save Nintendo right now is to drop the kid-friendly image, let go of their draconic censorship policies and allow Mature games to come to their systems. However since Iwata died they stopped doing that and gone back to 90s Nintendo.

They go to third party for sure cause Microsoft and Sony are strangling them out of the market as well as Nintendo digging it's own grave by giving us Censored games, telling us what to play and what not to play.
>>
>>337726898
Working capital isn't everything. Brand damage and brand relevance is also a thing. For instance, there are people who, after the Wii U, will simply not buy anything else by Nintendo because they don't trust them. I'm not saying there are a lot of people like this, but they exist. "Nintendo, isn't that the Wii U guys? I'm not getting that" -- your average stupid consumer

Wii U did serious damage but it's reversible. You can't put NX on top of that and still recover, entire generations of children will grow up thinking Nintendo is the failure company and that'll be it.

NX must succeed
>>
>>337726086

Nintendo did lose those 100 Million to another competitor

Yes they did it's called APPLE and Samsung Phones you fucking twat

Sony even stated that with the VITA. they said "why even bother buying a vita when you can now buy a smart phone which is just as powerful now!"
>>
They'll be around but they won't be particularly relevant in the West.
>>
>>337727258

Dude. No.

What you are talking about is not a real issue.

Maybe for like 5% for their user crowd but it really isn't something that figures.

Most people who bought the Wii didn't know the GameCube had ever existed, and they still don't know that the Wii U does.

Butthurt fanboys can never be taken seriously.

The people who enjoy their Wii U out of the measly 13 million that bought one far outnumber the grumps.
>>
>>337727258

Wii U didn't do serious fucking damage.

Nintendo done damage onto it's fucking self by censoring the GAMES which consumers wanted.

If any word got out they did this, which it has... People will say screw Nintendo.. I'm paying full price for to support Nintendo to give half the game which I'm asking for?
>>
>>337727258
>"Nintendo, isn't that the Wii U guys? I'm not getting that" -- your average stupid consumer
That sounds like an incredibly INFORMED consumer. Nintendo presents a poor value proposition for the consumer and that is why people stay away. If you don't want to play Mario Kart 47 and Mario Party 103, you don't buy Nintendo hardware.
>>
>>337727580

They also sacked their marketting Team and merged it with MEMEhouse which has a drastic effect on how much have been sold.
>>
>>337719621
I don't think you understand what a company is. Size doesn't matter, what matters is that Nintendo have been making so much bank that they can gladly bleed money for the next 50 fucking years and still survive. They're pretty fucking rich.
>>
>>337727456
>what's true for a Sony Product must be true for a Nintendo product

Nintendo handhelds do a lot of things differently from a smartphone.

Sony primarily went for high fidelity, and got beaten at their own game fast.
>>
Of course.

It may not be in a form we recognize, but I very sincerely doubt that Nintendo as a company will just straight up vanish.
>>
>>337727875
>they can gladly bleed money for the next 50 fucking years
What company would do this? What company with such a narrow range of commercial operations like Nintendo has would do this?
>>
>>337727818
That's a fixer-upper, sure.
>>
>>337727580
>The people who enjoy their Wii U out of the measly 13 million that bought one far outnumber the grumps.
You are talking about two very small numbers. The amount of people who don't consider Nintendo relevant anymore far outnumber both. Wii was a fad that caught a lot of people who never even played a video game in their life. If Nintendo keeps targeting this demographic, what do you expect their product to look like 20 years from now? It won't be video games anymore, it'll be their blue ocean and we'll be left only with emulators and what could have been had they not had their heads firmly planted up their asses
>>
>>337727990
Basically every company would do it, you don't decide to go bankrupt if you've money in the bank belonging to said company.
>>
>>337727990
They might not WANT to, and they certainly don't aim for it, but if they're only a few billion yen in the red every year, they'll last at least for the rest of your natural life.
>>
>>337727939

Provide examples please, your saying Nintendo 3DS does something different from a Vita.

Which in all reality fucking doesn't bar the cheaper price and the high priced games and that's it

The games on the Android and IPhone far far outweigh how many games on the 3DS and Vita and even then Vita has more exclusives.
>>
>>337728031

There was 0 marketing on Nintendo side compared to fucking Microsoft and Sony.
>>
>>337727875
>they can gladly bleed money for the next 50 fucking years and still survive.
This is by a large margin the most moronic untruth regurgitated by /v/'s nintendrones
>>
>>337727712
The people who would get offended enough at the censorship would be far outweighed by the people who would either not give a shit (as evidenced by Fates and Xenoblade X) or look askance at someone whose "moral" stance is not buying a game just because of swimsuits edited out, inability to pet underaged girls, or whatnot.

Don't get me wrong. #FE is going to crash and burn painfully when it reaches the Western market. But the low sales numbers are not going to be because of the censorship debate.
>>
You can just see the fans turtling up right along side Nintendo themselves.
>>
>>337728090

What product? Go third party and merge with a pachinko company like what Sega did with Sammy.

That's what will happen more than likely, than Nintendo shutting down.
>>
>>337728197
Nintendo's primary assets are in its self-owned stock. The longer it continues to make annual losses, the more devalued the stocks will become, the less money they'll be worth. They literally cannot afford to "bleed" for 5 years let alone 50 without something giving. Their stock would be fucking worthless.
>>
>>337728090

>The amount of people who don't consider Nintendo relevant anymore far outnumber both

Well guess what. Whether people consider Nintendo relevant is not actually relevant.

If Nintendo shows something to the world again that excites the crowd, it doesn't diminish its effect that someone say "but it's made by Nintendo, they're irrelevant!"

>If Nintendo keeps targeting this demographic

Which demographic exactly?

Because they're fucking goddamn all over the place demographics catering wise.

And I do think they'll at least be making electronic toys twenty years from now, but whether they'll be considered games, THAT is what is currently irrelevant.
>>
>>337718897
Probably, but not as big or will be completely different. I could see them being in the mobile phone industry honestly.
>>
>>337718897
No shit they will.

What a lot of people fail to see is that it was revealed at the investor meeting that Nintendo's profit for the past fiscal year was down 60% - which is STILL net profit, meaning the company made more money than they spent.

As long as a company keeps being in profit, it's safe. Not sure where all this "Nintendo is operating at a loss, it's over they'll go bankrupt soon" falsehood is coming from.
>>
>>337728696
>Well guess what. Whether people consider Nintendo relevant is not actually relevant.
Negative word of mouth impacted the Wii U severely. Especially when you're asking someone to drop $350 on a proprietary machine with a launch library of less than 10 games when everyone's fucking broke, people will wonder if it's worth it. Sure, they might want it, but on the other hand, they might just decide to wait and see "because it's Nintendo and their track record". You seriously don't think the 32X, Sega CD, and Saturn didn't affect how many people were interested in the Dreamcast? This is exactly what the end looks like, we just don't have the benefit of hindsight yet.

>Which demographic exactly
The soccer moms and grandmothers, of course. All the people who have never played a video game before, see an advertisement and think "Oh, that's an novel idea" just like they did with the Wii. In fact, Nintendo can't even target other demographics anymore BECAUSE OF brand damage. "Core" gamers do not consider Nintendo relevant. Nintendo can never return to that demographic because of brand damage.
>>
>>337728667
They haven't plenty of IP to sell off to people who claim they can do better with it, if it has to come to that.

Even if their stock fell through the floor, they wouldn't have to fear a hostile take-over, as they'd back back whatever amount of shares went really cheap.

Nintendo's primary liquids are in their self-owned stock. Their primary assets is their IP.

I'm not saying they'd be in a good place if they had to start selling off franchises, but many many really really bad things would have to happen all at once for Nintendo do actually close up shop as a registered entity in Japan within the next fifty years.
>>
File: kornheiser-doubt.jpg (25 KB, 282x415) Image search: [Google]
kornheiser-doubt.jpg
25 KB, 282x415
>>337718897
>Everything since Wii has some annoying, unnecessary gimmick forced in that adds nothing to the game
>Casuals moved on to smartphones and don't care about Nintendo anymore
>Wii U biggest flop since Virtual Boy
>Nintendo starts adopting the shitty practices that Sony and Microsoft have
>Almost no worthwhile games coming out in foreseeable future, except maybe Zelda
>The few new games they do make are shallow messes that no one asked for
>Zelda is the only major thing they have to show at E3, game has already been delayed to hell and probably is just Skyward Sword 2.0

They can't afford any more fuckups. NX better be the second coming of the SNES/N64, otherwise this is their last console gen.
>>
>>337729195
>Negative word of mouth impacted the Wii U severely

Not true.

NO word of mouth is what impacted it.

Noone was really talking about it, because it wasn't advertised, didn't have any games, and even the retailers didn't "get" it.

>The soccer moms and grandmothers, of course.
Which are nowhere near being the demographic that owns neither a Wii U or a 3DS, and not at all the people the Nintendo Directs have ben reaching so let's pretend you didn't say that.
>>
>>337729418
/v/ was talking about it ;_;
>>
>>337729362
The NX is going to be a Nintendo-branded Nvidia Shield, with all the similar form factors that flop entailed.
>>
>>337729061
>Nintendo's profit for the past fiscal year was down 60%
What people also miss is that the fiscal years leading up to said fiscal years, saw an increase in profits. And that this decrease is following that increase.
>>
>>337729418
>Which are nowhere near being the demographic that owns neither a Wii U or a 3DS, and not at all the people the Nintendo Directs have ben reaching so let's pretend you didn't say that.
It's who Nintendo struck big with, with the DS and Wii, and who they will be targeting again.

3DS and Wii U are what happens when only "gamers" buy Nintendo hardware. Nintendo hates "gamers" because so few of them buy Nintendo hardware. They will never target the gaming demographic again, thanks directly to the Wii and DS.

Whatever the NX is, it will be the biggest gimmick yet. It has to be because they can't woo non-gamers without something extremely gimmicky
>>
>>337728534

I like how you exclude others, like the 20 Million Xbone owners, the 40 million PS4 owners, the 10 million wii U owners, the 50 million 3ds owners.

Says the 40 million PS4 owners to the 10 million Wii U owners.

Sorry among gamers and even hardcore gamers knows Nintendo censors it's products, as much as the major burst of sales (which is relativity minor) of those two games (Fates and Xenoblade X) (FATES just barely hit the 1 millon mark where sales of Japan = the Sales of the America, 500k a piece)

It does matter, no one likes being told what to play and what not to play word gets out these games are being censored no one will even approach a Nintendo Wii U.

If the censorship debacle didn't matter than you should have no problem snatching a pack of cigarettes from a person and throw them in a bin without getting beaten up cause they are bad for you and what not.
>>
>>337729576
True, but /v/ is negative about everything except for Souls games nowadays, so that doesn't really count.
>>
>>337719251
>>337719251
they wil just make amiibos for other consoles for next century
>>
As a game developer? Yes.

As a console manufacturer? Doubt it.
>>
>>337718897
Yes. They will be making toys again. All the fans will leave them because of all the retarded decitions and censorship they are doing.
>>
Do you guys think Nintendo could continue putting out consoles if they sold 10m each? I mean wouldn't they just have to scale down a bit and couldn't they operate on the revenue from that? Does every company have to continually grow forever or else be deemed a failure?
>>
>>337718897
I don't come on /v/ anymore, not since 2006. That said here's my 2 cents

Nintendo can last for many years; they can & will outlive us all. That said, if you're talking about the NX/Nintendo's presence in vidya: one of several things could happen if NX flops

1) Create another console & do the same thing they did to it with the WiiU to stall for another hardware release

2) Pivot industries; a common tactic for companies expecting things won't turn as well as they want. They'll probably try to pull a Disney & fail by licensing their IPs to cartoon studios as they're games are lacking

3) Merge with a equal standing company or get acquired by a bigger company

Fun fact: There's literally no law preventing American corps and the like to acquire Japanese corps. It's been a meme that started here and propagated elsewhere like Neogaf and fan sites. The reality of things is that it happens on a daily basis. If unsure, feel free to consult a lawyer or alternatively go to Quora and ask the professional community there. I do believe they've answered this before. If a merge; it'll probably be Bamco because they've tried to gain controlling power from their stocks. They've previously been slapped on the wrist by the Japanese government and given a mouthful from the heir of Bamco's CEO, because Nintendo tried to acquire Bamco stock illegally through a third party, the national bank of Japan. Nintendo has a boner for Bamco because they've had a pretty good run of success. They have a good strategy and it works, try looking at their investment materials.

If they want to get acquired, it's probably going to be Disney since all their investment holders are dumb as rocks and want Ninty to be the next Disney without any knowledge of how. And Nintendo's top dogs within the company have been trying to replicate their success without any effort at all. On top of all that, Disney's hit list of buys does include Nintendo

In the end, the fans still lose & Ninty still wins.
>>
>>337730726
>It's been a meme that started here and propagated elsewhere like Neogaf and fan sites.
/v/ believes a lot of retarded things in regard to Nintendo. The "they could lose money for 50 years and still remain in business" one is particularly amusing as it shows absolutely no grasp of how businesses operate

Nintendo will continue to survive but they will be so different looking in the next 20 years that they will be barely recognizable. Of course someone could say "haha, they weren't doomed after all" but I don't think this is fair, when really people are speculating their exiting the video game hardware sector, a realistic possibility if the NX fails
>>
File: frotrapAWWWWshit.jpg (52 KB, 331x360) Image search: [Google]
frotrapAWWWWshit.jpg
52 KB, 331x360
>>337718897
But they already died in my heart more than a decade ago.

Why would I care what happens next? Going under or not, they've already changed their policies and game design for the worse.
>>
The NX could literally do as poorly as the Wii U and Nintendo would have no reason to quit. Because it's still providing them a good profit.

The number of sales disregarded, of all consoles of the past two console generations. Not counting the Wii of course. The only console to outprofit the Wii U, is the PS4. The 360 and PS3 both ended up bleeding money and while you could argue the PS3 paved the way for the PS4's success, the PS3 itself bled money badly. And neither the PS3 or the 360 were even close to recouping their losses within their console generation. Fast forward to today, and the XB1 is still bleeding money, and the PS4 is the only non-Wii U console providing a profit.
>>
>>337730726
>Disney acquires Nintendo
>Bamco merges with Nintendo

And Nothing of value was lost
>>
>>337718897
they're dead to me, and have been for a while.
>>
>>337731471
Profit is relative. You'd have to compare how much money they'd make with a Wii U 2 vs how much money they'd make by going 3rd party. If they could sell 30 million copies of MK8, 3DW, Splatoon, etc by publishing on PS4 and whatnot, it would make the measly profit they made on Wii U look like some Mom & Pop operation.
>>
File: death of nintendo.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
death of nintendo.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>W-why did you lead me out here, Drake-sama?
>>
>>337732125
Should have shooped Kimishima's face on drake.
>>
File: 1450911368425.png (203 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1450911368425.png
203 KB, 500x500
>>337728392

That's probably because they didn't really have that much faith in the WiiU after it's initial reception but were in too deep to turn back.

A giant advertising campaign can't save a bungled product(See Sega Dreamcast). It just costs a money to show people something they aren't interested in and puts the company in even worse standing.

If the NX is received well when it's revealed this year Nintendo will probably pump a lot into marketing the NX console and the handheld is almost guarantted to have a big advertising campaign.
>>
>>337732125
miyamoto leaving is exactly what nintendo needs as the catalyst for its renaissance
>>
>>337719251
They'll go back to hooker hotels
>>
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-05-15/nintendo-aiming-for-3d-animation-of-its-characters-to-enter-film-business/.102153
>>
>>337719474
>They have enough money for 50 years

Do you realize how your statement makes no sense?
>>
>>337718897
they've already lost their ability to make good games

i see the NX being their last traditional console
>>
>>337718897

>Do you think Nintendo will be around in 20 years?
No. -Sega, 1986
>>
>>337718897
japan is doomed anyway.
>>
>>337718897
Yes. Exactly like Sega is still around, releasing games for systems that are actually successful.
>>
>>337732125
Which Uncharted game is this
>>
>>337733524
>>
>>337720205
Wii U failed though. :)
>>
>>337719392
Why did you write this post so autisticly?
>>
File: 1461513946988.png (124 KB, 5000x2571) Image search: [Google]
1461513946988.png
124 KB, 5000x2571
>>337721964
>>
File: 1456513061727.jpg (3 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
1456513061727.jpg
3 KB, 125x125
I've been thinking about analyzing the video game related business of Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft.

What would you want to know if I posted my findings on /v/? Anything from (light) market research to financial statement analysis and stuff.

Regards,
Grad student accounting/finance fag
>>
The company dates back to 1889 and has had a hand in probably half a dozen plus business ventures before striking paydirt with vidya. You don't last over 125 years as a company without knowing when to hold em' and when to fold em'. If vidya falls through the cracks then Nintendo will simply cut their losses and shift direction again.
>>
File: yamcha tien.png (310 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
yamcha tien.png
310 KB, 640x480
I spent 20 years supporting and defending Nintendo. Now I my strongest desire is to watch them die slowly and painfully the next 5 years.
>>
>>337718897
They have the funds to go for over 200 years, virtually.

/thread
>>
Nintendo has enough money to last 1000 years
>>
>>337735793
>What would you want to know if I posted my findings on /v/? Anything from (light) market research to financial statement analysis and stuff.
No thanks
>>
>>337735936
No one on this board knows Nintendo as a playing card company, nor a love hotel company, nor a pachinko company, nor an arcade company

If Nintendo drops out of video games and starts making women's panties, they may not be dead as a company, but they will be dead in the minds of gamers everywhere
>>
>>337735793
>What would you want to know if I posted my findings on /v/?
>Regards

No.
>>
>>337736276

And this is relevant how? He asked if Nintendo will be around in 20 years, not if they'll be making video games in 20 years. Unless things go beyond catastrophically wrong for Nintendo, the answer is yes.
>>
>>337736460
All I see is moving the goal posts. Now that things look bad for Nintendo, and we're finally ready to admit that the NX failing could trigger them exiting the hardware business, we're moving the goal posts by saying "they're not doomed because they could just do something else", when historically "doomed" as always meant they'd go 3rd party.

I honestly don't believe anyone wants Nintendo to fail as a company. They just want to be able to play the games without being forced to buy overpriced, underpowered, and ultimately redundant hardware they don't really need and could do without.
>>
>>337737023
>without being forced to buy overpriced, underpowered, and ultimately redundant hardware
Steer clear of the NX then.
>>
File: 1461224512157.gif (2 MB, 317x229) Image search: [Google]
1461224512157.gif
2 MB, 317x229
Nintendo: doomed since the 80's
>>
>>337737781
I know right? We've had cars for the last 100 years and the ice caps haven't melted yet, climate change is obviously bullshit! Time to get a new SUV :D
>>
>Nintendo has enough money to exist for 40 more years, which means they fully intend to waste it all making flop after flop until they run out
Explain this logic without exposing yourself as a nintendrone.
>>
File: 1461960559996.gif (45 KB, 306x299) Image search: [Google]
1461960559996.gif
45 KB, 306x299
yes, perhaps if you tell it to yourself often enough, they will actually be doomed for real.
just maybe though
>>
>>337720717
>>337720762
What are you niggers talking about? I specifically stated that they're going to die tomorrow because they've been around for one hundred years. Jesus christ you autists are so retarded you can't even read any longer.
>>
File: 1436487360929.jpg (31 KB, 403x403) Image search: [Google]
1436487360929.jpg
31 KB, 403x403
>>337718897
Does it even really matter?
>>
>>337738774
And maybe if you keep posting le Nintendoomed images, you'll forget that with the exception of the Wii, Nintendo consoles sales have been in constant decline since the NES.
>>
Can someone post those old forum(?) screens from the 90's where people say nintendo is doomed?
>>
>tfw /v/ is the only board where Nintendo shit still flies
>tfw you will live to see /v/ kick and scream as the nx flops horribly and the industry goes on like normal
Feels great man. I'm glad I'm not a minority
>>
>>337739729
You mean the usenet screenshots?
>>
>>337739972
>and the industry goes
full original Xbox One. Paid online. Always online. No used games.
And people will defend it too, and praise the industry when it does well.
>>
>>337739729
Those screen caps were completely right. Nintendo was #1 back then, now they're Z-list developers that no one wants to touch. Looks like the naysayers won after all ;)
>>
File: Nintendo_Cycle.jpg (113 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
Nintendo_Cycle.jpg
113 KB, 720x540
>>337720205
Wii U proves that your graphic is bullshit.

Also, this pic is like 3 years old.
>>
>>337740445
>Paid online. Always online. No used games.
Nintendo is one of the industry's largest publishers. What on earth makes you think Nintendo would oppose any of that? They've released two consoles in a row [I don't know how it works on the handhelds] where if you buy a digital game, you can't transfer it to your new system. You have to buy it all over again.

Nintendo didn't even include a modem in the Gamecube specifically because they didn't think internet gaming was profitable. Now that the competition has proved that it is, Nintendo is forced into falling back on free online.

Remember, Sony was all about free online, too, until they lost however many billion dollars on the PS3.
>>
>>337718897
They'll last as a mobile game developer.
>>
Nintendo will eventually go third party and merge with another software company, like Capcom or Namco Bandai. Namco Bandai does gaming and toys, much like Nintendo.
>>
In 20 years Nintendo will still exist, but not independently. They'll be like Sega is now where they're a brand name subsidiary of a larger Japanese multimedia conglomerate. This won't necessarily even be due to poor fiscal performance, but simply an inevitability of how the industry and corporations work in general.
>>
>>337718897
They will be around as mobile developers and 3rd party game developers.

They've got to run out of gimmicks for their consoles and lets be honest, the gimmicks sucked anyways.

>DS - touchscreen (touchscreen gaming was new and okay)
>Wii - motioncontrols (was cool for like 10 minutes)
>3ds - 3d. (cool for 10 minutes as well)
>Wii U - tablet thing (good for remote play, but not much else.)

They will have to change. Their systems aren't doing so well, they probably made the vast majority of the games for 3ds. 3rd party wanted little to do with them.
>>
>>337727875

>another idiot who believes this

Google "the struggles of marketing GameCube". Nintendo was in full freak the fuck out panic mode as the GCN got its ass reamed by two opponents. How do you think they're holding up with a console that is failing even harder?

ffs their stock dropped 8% in one day. They're forecasting less than a million Wii U sales for this entire year. They might survive 6 more years at this rate. You know and understand nothing.
>>
>>337741440
>What on earth makes you think Nintendo would oppose any of that?
I don't. I can only hope.
Nintendo for all their worst are still our best bet though. Our chances may be poor but it's not exactly as if there are any better chances out there.

Microsoft and Sony will never back down now what with how much profits it gives them and what with almost everyone apparently not minding.

But it's possible that MyNintendo will allow for digital games to be tied to your account instead of your console after the NX launches.
They have at the very least stated that they would reconsider region locking, no matter if it actually amounts to anything or not.
And while Nintendo very well could go full paid online as well now that both Microsoft and Sony have showed that it is both very profitable but also has barely any downsides. There is still a chance that Nintendo will simply carry on as usual. MyNintendo as mentioned doesn't have any gold/+/premium whatever to it either, as of yet at the very least.

Truth be told the entire industry will probably go to shit. And these awful practices will probably find their way onto Steam and Windows as well. But as we currently stand, Nintendo are the most likely to not go totally bullshit on everyone, even if the chances are looking good. Just best. Microsoft already proved themselves to be totally toxic for the industry ages ago, which was proven when Sony followed suit only to be met with praise. And here we are. With an industry that is looking worse than ever.

But if Nintendo decides to go down the same path as well, then the entirety of the console industry might as well burn and crash for all I care. But as stated, I don't trust PC to not follow suit either. It's not looking good.
But people are saying that things are great anyway so things won't improve.
>>
>>337741372
It's not much of a cycle when it's only true for the last 2 generations

Nintendo didn't used to be known for gimmicks, just good games and solid video game consoles. No one would have said the SNES was more innovative than the Genesis. It simply had better games.
>>
>>337742651
No man, Nintendo's gonna be around forever! When you're in a car that's on fire, the best thing to do is keep driving until you've reached your location, I mean why would you ever step out if you can keep going?
>>
>>337743121
Stick to food analogies
>>
>>337742651
If you read that article, along with the other one that Emily Rogers wrote [A Dolphin Tale], it's honestly baffling how Nintendo didn't see any of it coming.

I could have taken one look at the purple cube with the Fisher-Price controller and told them to change it.
>>
Sony will die before Nintendo
>>
>>337744157
holy fuck you are an idiot. do you know how many industries sony is invested in?
Thread replies: 177
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.